• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really think the casual crowd is going to care that much about all this watch TV on your TV shit? To the point that they'd buy a graphically inferior yet for all we know similarly priced console? Oh and make no mistake, the graphically inferior reputation will make it to the casuals if its as bad as this thread makes it out to be.

The casuals care about COD. And if the info coming out is accurate MS is throwing boatloads of money at publishers to only show games running on x1 hardware and only at the MS conference. As far as casuals will know the X1 will be the only place to play these games. Hell who knows how much money MS is spending to secure actual 3rd party exclusivity. In those cases the X1 really will be the only way to play those games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
To everyone: it's the third gen curse.
Or, in Italian: La Maledizione della Terza Generazione. It has such a musical sound.

King_Moc

Banned
Does this mean downgraded multiplatform games?
By that I mean downgraded for both PS4 and XB1 versions...similar to how PC is held back by consoles

If, as these rumours suggest, PS4 is now about double the power, PS4 should be able to get pretty close to doing 1080p 60fps when XB1 manages 720p 30fps. Certainly shouldn't be far off.

Drek

The casuals care about COD. And if the info coming out is accurate MS is throwing boatloads of money at publishers to only show games running on x1 hardware and only at the MS conference. As far as casuals will know the X1 will be the only place to play these games. Hell who knows how much money MS is spending to secure actual 3rd party exclusivity. In those cases the X1 really will be the only way to play those games.

The casuals you're talking about don't follow E3 at all. They'll see a new CoD and assume it's on both because CoD was on both last generation. Unless it's exclusive and they can specifically announce it as such the marketing impact of showing the game with one of the two consoles doesn't do much.

Ocaso

At this point it will be real sad if Sony gets outsold by the Xbone seeing how well everything seems to be going for them now.

It's hard to see how it could happen short of Sony botching the marketing. Past performance is no indicator of future success, and every hole that opens up into the Xbone results in a roach crawling out.

jpd1408

Banned
Can someone in short explain what is going on in this thread all this tech talk has me lost. Child prof answer please? Anyone? Lol

Kaizer

Banned
At this point it will be real sad if Sony gets outsold by the Xbone seeing how well everything seems to be going for them now.

For North America, I still think they'll take the lead in initial sales. Most people are just going to be looking for games period and getting things like the NFL hook-up only ensure MS intends to keep the mindshare.

WolvenOne

For the peeps out there asserting that Microsoft might become enough of a market leader for this power discrepancy not to matter, and additionally, whom are making comparisons to the PS2.

Sony was already the market leader when they launched the PS2. Their only real competition in the previous generation was Nintendo, and sadly Nintendo made too many mistakes with the N64 to provide truly healthy competition to the PlayStation brand.

Microsoft, on the other hand, is only in third place globally, with the X-Box 360. The 360 has sold really well in America, but has sold fairly poorly everywhere else. This, despite the head start over the PS3, despite the price advantage over the PS3, and despite Sony's numerous mistakes with the PS3 launch and design.

Microsoft will not have any of those advantages this time, and does not currently have a marketshare that is analogous to the PlayStation 1 and 2. This is on top of the good will Microsoft has wasted these past few years, which has alienated much of the early adopters companies usually rely on to build up an install base early on.

This is not to say, that Microsoft cannot recover, but the situation is definitly not analogous to the PS2 launch. If Microsoft wants to bounce back, they'll have to utterly wow people with their launch line-up, and convince people that their products positives outweigh the negatives of its DRM.

In other words, Microsoft is likely to have a significantly harder time establishing a dominant market share in the United States, which will put them in a very difficult position globally.

Vol5

How bad are the yields. I'm not quite sure I grasp how bad a situation this could be? Console delay bad or, ahem, redesign bad?

And please, casuals do not drive initial sales. The core does and always will.

Perkel

Banned
If, as these rumours suggest, PS4 is now about double the power, PS4 should be able to get pretty close to doing 1080p 60fps when XB1 manages 720p 30fps. Certainly shouldn't be far off.

Couldn't be more wrong.

We are talking here about 900p at same framerate or a bit worse with severely scaled effects and assets. That is imo.

Can someone in short explain what is going on in this thread all this tech talk has me lost. Child prof answer please? Anyone? Lol

Microsoft is having trouble making the chips for Xbox One. This could lead to the system being less powerful, or if things got really bad, possibly even a delay.

btkadams

probably in US again, I hear NFL is big in those parts

fixed. canadians don't care about football, especially since those features probably won't be available here. if microsoft is working out some good deals with the nhl though, i know plenty of hockey fans that would be happy.

Linkified

So do we know who was in charge of the team who proposed this system, as is, to key people to be green lit? They should really be fired.

Drek

The 360 was the shoddiest console in the history of video game consoles. It still sold in bucket loads.

And it still will finish in 3rd place, after MS footed a $1 Billion repair bill for their shoddy design.

If they do that again the Xbox line is dead, never to return. Shareholders don't forgive two massive red ink dumps like that on back to back products in the same family.

dancmc

So what does downclocked in this sense mean? Does that mean they are going to force the clock speed lower but then could later "upclock" if they get stuff figured out (a la original PSP?); or does it mean they are picking a GPU solution with a lower top clock speed.

Sorry, not super tech savvy on this type of stuff.

Anyways; was already likely going to be going PS4 for multiplat stuff anyway; but if this is true; it will just cinch it (3rd party DLC content be damned)!!

flash ban

Banned

will COD have the same power nextgen? or will casuals begin to tire of it.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Man, as a fan of all the consoles I hate to see any negative stuff like this come out. I'll be honest, I'm definitely leaning more toward the PS4 now based on this stuff. It's a shame as the 360 was one of my most favorite consoles of all time.

monkey666

Banned
And it still will finish in 3rd place, after MS footed a $1 Billion repair bill for their shoddy design.

If they do that again the Xbox line is dead, never to return. Shareholders don't forgive two massive red ink dumps like that on back to back products in the same family.

3rd, being slightly less than the PS3. That isn't bad at all considering how crappy their hardware is.

Seanspeed

Banned
Does this mean downgraded multiplatform games?
By that I mean downgraded for both PS4 and XB1 versions...similar to how PC is held back by consoles

From what I've followed, its more like the XB1 version will get a downgrade compared to the PS4 version similar to how you can go from ultra -> medium settings on a PC game.

So what does downclocked in this sense mean? Does that mean they are going to force the clock speed lower but then could later "upclock" if they get stuff figured out (a la original PSP?); or does it mean they are picking a GPU solution with a lower top clock speed.

Sorry, not super tech savvy on this type of stuff.

Anyways; was already likely going to be going PS4 for multiplat stuff anyway; but if this is true; it will just cinch it (3rd party DLC content be damned)!!

They're downclocking to get acceptable yields, they won't be able to overclock it later on. When they finalize the specs, that's it.

Goddamn, all this bad news...

What the hell happened at MS?
This pre E3 has been unbelievable.

What happened was a leadership change. People running Xbox right now don't seem to get how this industry works.

I'm just glad Sony is bringing something half decent to the party. It would be the worst ever if the PS4 was looking just as crap, i would pull out of console gaming till the next round, to suggest Xbone games could be 900p 8 years on is beyond depressing.

andycapps

MS is really doing their best to screw up aren't they?
1278286-xbox_e3_kickoff_celebration_hxll8wvs6jel.jpg

Time to bring him back.

Could he do much to change the direction at this point? The design decisions have all been made. He could potentially bring a cohesive message, that's about it. MS corporate structure is such a mess I don't know if Allard would do well there. This whole console combined with their PR has their shitty influence all over it.

Perkel

Banned
How bad are the yields. I'm not quite sure I grasp how bad a situation this could be? Console delay bad or, ahem, redesign bad?

And please, casuals do not drive initial sales. The core does and always will.

If they plan downclock then it means it is really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom