• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn 10 announce Forza Motorsport 7 VIP changes after negative fan feedback

watdaeff4

Well I guess it’s good they changed it but fuck turn 10, they have really made the forza series down a pretty bad path and it makes me worried about how they are going to mess up forza horizon 4. I’m hoping they leave it alone when it is released.

In defense of Turn 10 - I doubt it was their decision. They probably were volun-told to find a way to incorporate this into their game.

MouldyK

I do wonder if this pushed back their Real Money plans for the Boxes. The next Letter should be “We won’t ever charge for Loot Boxes”...

What a dream!

oti

Banned
And how many people at Turn 10 expected this response. There had to be some, if not many.

Change, even when positive, leads to gnashing of teeth for change's sake, but this was a purpose built regression.

I wouldn't be surprised if Turn 10 eployees went to Microsoft like "See? See? We warned you about this!".

Hoo-doo

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if Turn 10 eployees went to Microsoft like "See? See? We warned you about this!".

I hope. Turn 10 always came across like a team that's rather involved with the fanbase. I doubt they were blind to the effects these lootcrate mechanics would have on the game's reception.

xrnzaaas

Surprising response, the number of refunds from the UE owners must have been significant. Okay Turn 10 now satisfy all owners of the game and bring back rewards for disabling assists.

farisr

is the answer to loot boxes $70-$80 games? i would be fine with it but i dont trust publishers to keep it as simple as that
Even if games cost $120 there would still be lootboxes. It's a thing that consumers have said they are fine with time and time again, so devs and publishers are taking advantage of it whenever possible, and if it's not possible without affecting the game progression/systems, they sure as heck will try to make it possible in the sequel, which is what we're now getting with Forza 7 and what folks have been getting with NBA2k for a few years now.

is the answer to loot boxes $70-$80 games? i would be fine with it but i dont trust publishers to keep it as simple as that
Technically, in the case of the VIP rewards, it's $80 and then loot boxes on top of that, just that you earn the loot boxes faster now.

A game could be any price and stuff would still get thrown in for extra cash. The only way to actually fight back against these practices is to not buy the games.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Good. That decision was insanity, and a real kick in the teeth.

Xater

I mean this is good, but doesn't change anything for people who bought the base game. Their economy is still fucked.

vg260

Technically, in the case of the VIP rewards, it's $80 and then loot boxes on top of that, just that you earn the loot boxes faster now.

A game could be any price and stuff would still get thrown in for extra cash. The only way to actually fight back against these practices is to not buy the games.

That alone is not sufficient, really. That plus being vocal about why on platforms the devs, pubs, and others will see is better.

Occam

It still has loot boxes?

As I wrote in the other thread, if you buy a game like this, you are part of the problem.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
One thing I found interesting is that on GAF I hear a really vocal distaste for loot crates. Not just GAF, obviously - various enthusiast communities (I’m not a big fan either - the random rewards in FH are about as happy as I can be with RNG rewards).

Forza Motorsport’s inclusion of them wasn’t even remotely subtle - they have images of boxes to be opened. They were absolutely convinced this was something they wanted in the game and wanted people to know about.

So this leads me to wonder whether the larger, casual market actually enjoys this RNG reward mechanism, and that’s why they put it in there so obviously.

Xater

One thing I found interesting is that on GAF I hear a really vocal distaste for loot crates. Not just GAF, obviously - various enthusiast communities (I’m not a big fan either - the random rewards in FH are about as happy as I can be with RNG rewards).

Forza Motorsport’s inclusion of them wasn’t even remotely subtle - they have images of boxes to be opened. They were absolutely convinced this was something they wanted in the game and wanted people to know about.

So this leads me to wonder whether the larger, casual market actually enjoys this RNG reward mechanism, and that’s why they put it in there so obviously.

We have been over this countless times. It's a psychological trick that taps into the same parts of your brain as gambling does. Lots if people are susceptible to it. I know I would, be so I just try to avoid it.

It really isn't.

Of course it is. Why else does the Tier system exist if not to force you to buy more cars so you always need more credits? Why do you now have to use purchasable consumable items to earn more credits when it used to just be a menu option toggle? Why would anyone ever buy a loot box if the game wasn't designed to make them desirable?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

They could have an option to turn them off then.

TMWNN35

If bet a lazy $50 that this isn't just in response to the outrage but also a drop in sales. This will be the first forza game I'm passing on. Not just because of this loot crate my BS but that's a big part of it.

Put the focus back on being a great racer and take it off leveling and progress bars shitting up the joint.

It's good they are changing it but the fact that they didn't see this coming is just sad.

shimon

And people were asking why are we bitching so much about stuff?

Ofc it's not gonna make loot boxes go away but at least it's something.

Of course it is. Why else does the Tier system exist if not to force you to buy more cars so you always need more credits? Why do you now have to use purchasable consumable items to earn more credits when it used to just be a menu option toggle? Why would anyone ever buy a loot box if the game wasn't designed to make them desirable?

Played the game much have you?

BigEmil

Shouldn't have done this shit in the beginning!

Greed got the better of you Turn 10 you thought you could get away with it

diablogod

I don't have Windows 10 and never played the PC version of a Forza game. Could a Forza 7 PC user just mod/hack everything they want into the game? (Unlimited credits, all cars unlocked, all mods unlocked.)

As a fan of Forza and a fan of racing games in general, I can only speak broadly as I don't use a wheel. Anyway, long story short for me is I'm not buying the game. It may be a masterpiece. Maybe the corporate overlords turned it into a slot machine nightmare. Who know's. All I know is that I am not buying it on principle.

BigEmil

I don't have Windows 10 and never played the PC version of a Forza game. Could a Forza 7 PC user just mod/hack everything they want into the game? (Unlimited credits, all cars unlocked, all mods unlocked.)
No because the game is locked behind UWP on PC

Jezbollah

UWP is supposed to make it very difficult to mod games - so unless someone gets around that, I dont think you'll see that.

Fredrik

This is why making your voices heard is a good thing folks.
Yup. Sorry for not complaining about this but thanks to all you who did. I'll do better next time.

And thanks to Turn10 for the cars! Please improve the AI too, I'm currently having a Destruction Derby flashback every time I enter the first turn and the AI cars smash me up.

diablogod

UWP is supposed to make it very difficult to mod games - so unless someone gets around that, I dont think you'll see that.

Wow... I may have even heard about this UWP limitation at some point but just forgot it. So it's basically a weird form of online DRM for software and games? That's a total bummer, especially for single player games. When I get a PC version of a game in the back of my mind I know that when I beat it, I then have the joy of modding or breaking the game in anyway I see fit.

Audioboxer

Cross posting my thoughts

People on the internet shouldn't complain about monetization because devs are only doing it to cover the cost of making the game. Anyone still want to float that?

There's still no need to have loot boxes in this game, and VIP costs above and beyond the $60 to give you an advantage over "peasant" buyers of the game. This is probably the best result you'll get out of Forza 7 though. Watch lots of people praise Turn 10 now calling them a dev that listens. In reality, welcome to PR risk management. This won't have been done because they care, but because the internet is igniting and reviews on Metacritic are starting to suffer a little. It's the same result as Blizzard removing the Diablo 3 AH or Bethesdas first removal of paid for mods.

They all want to do it again, and just find ways to reintroduce things with less gamer anger.

Fukuzatsu

Games already cost as much here in Europe. I can't imagine raising a price on them anymore. They would end up more than $100 with taxes. Fuck that.

This is true in Japan as well, most 'full-price' retail games are more than $60 USD in both local equivalents and conversion.

Even if games cost $120 there would still be lootboxes. It's a thing that consumers have said they are fine with time and time again, so devs and publishers are taking advantage of it whenever possible, and if it's not possible without affecting the game progression/systems, they sure as heck will try to make it possible in the sequel, which is what we're now getting with Forza 7 and what folks have been getting with NBA2k for a few years now.

I wouldn't have believed a year ago we'd be seeing single player games like Shadow of War integrating loot boxes into the campaign experience. I have no idea how much worse it can get from here.

Crack scenes have been trying for a while to crack UWP and haven't made any progress, and likely never will since I think its hooked into the OS with lots of server side stuff.

faridmon

Can't believe people are happy about this. There big problems left in the gas for this game when it comes to monetising. Yes, they made good on pone part, but the progression limit, loot boxes and even Paid DLC are still intact.

farisr

I wouldn't have believed a year ago we'd be seeing single player games like Shadow of War integrating loot boxes into the campaign experience. I have no idea how much worse it can get from here.
When you have reviews saying shit like this:
Saving up your boosted credits for an expensive Prize Crate is exciting, even if you often spend 300,000 credits only to win a helmet, some mod cards and a crappy car. But that just makes the real big wins all the more exquisite.
Outlook not so good.

I thought the only way I'd stop gaming is if all games went digital only or always online. This is a much bigger and more imminent threat.

This is always the way with videogames, "see how far you can push 'em before they push back." Then give some ground back and be celebrated for listening to feedback.

It's why games have DLC instead of content on disk, why they have expensive season passes instead of DLC, why they're full of microtransactions and expensive random drops, and why it'll just keep getting worse. They'll try this again with Forza 8 and by then the landscape will have changed enough that they'll get away with it. Consumers in this market are way too easy to manipulate.

Majine

Banned
That doesn't make me respect Turn 10 more.

It still means the conversation on their part started along the lines of "What can we get away with?", turned into "Crap, we can't. Alright, go back to the way it was and send a message about how we listen to customer feedback".

dmix90

Let's go back a bit. Why there is a $20 cheat code named VIP pass in the first place and why are people praising them for a little boost to it's "value" lol?

This industry is in freefall to the black hole of greed.

Shaneus

I almost wonder if they included the two shit things (loot boxes and shitty VIP changes) just so they can go back on one of them (ie. the VIP) and say "look, we do listen!" while completely leaving the loot box system untouched.

Needing extra value etc. could possibly be considered as valid reasoning if they were making a new game from the ground-up but you just know that 80% of the cars are reused assets from FM6/FH3.

witness

Good for VIPs who couldn't get a refund, but I still won't buy the game. I own the ultimate editions of FH2, FM6, FH3 but I will not be giving them any money at all for what they've done to my favorite franchise. Its only going to get worse with FH4 next year.

Top Bottom