• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess HD officially announced.

Majukun

a new version that looks almost exactly like the wii version apart from an higher resolution on a console retro compatible with wii games? what's the point?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
a new version that looks almost exactly like the wii version apart from an higher resolution on a console retro compatible with wii games? what's the point?

Well as a European, out version is a blurry mess so I'm thankful for a clean looking version of one of my favourite Zelda titles.

Yrael

Well as a European, out version is a blurry mess so I'm thankful for a clean looking version of one of my favourite Zelda titles.

That, and it's the correct map orientation (the Wii version was flipped horizontally).

Still, I really do wish they had implemented a better lighting system at the very least.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That, and it's the correct map orientation (the Wii version was flipped horizontally).

Still, I really do wish they had implemented a better lighting system at the very least.

Who knows, maybe they'll do that between now and release, but I won't put any hope into that. WWHD basically was born as a result of messing around with a lighting engine which is why it had new lighting.

Vidiot

-Comes with a cool amiibo
- In HD with better textures
-Only ever played the Wii version so the non flipped world and traditional controls will be unique to me
-Possible new content/gameplay refinements
-I'm Zelda's bitch

My reasons for wanting it. :p

-Comes with a cool amiibo
- In HD with better textures
-Only ever played the Wii version so the non flipped world and traditional controls will be unique to me
-Possible new content/gameplay refinements
-I'm Zelda's bitch

My reasons for wanting it. :p
Midna dude, don't forget midna!

I already have the Wii version but I'm most definitely picking this up.

I thought Twliight Princess was a genuinely good game. It wasn't as groundbreaking as the other 3D Zeldas (Wind Waker still the king), but it was a solid game that just needed some tweaking to make it perfect.

Some of the best dungeons, items, and boss battles in the entire series are in Twilight Princess. Some of my most favourite Zelda characters are in this game. Hell, the first couple of hours was honestly not bad at all. You still did a lot of cool stuff during those hours.

I'm looking forward to finding out what changes they made to this game. One thing I hope is that they substitute the IR pointing of the Wii version with the Wii U gamepad's gyroscope.

oti

Banned
I don't usually buy SEs but since TP was my first Zelda I thought I could celebrate its HD re-release a bit more. I hope they'll iron out some stuff here and there.

Yrael

Who knows, maybe they'll do that between now and release, but I won't put any hope into that. WWHD basically was born as a result of messing around with a lighting engine which is why it had new lighting.

Yeah I'm not putting any hope at all into a new lighting engine, given that Tantalus have been working on this since January 2014.

Nerrel

I actually think Tantalus' texture upgrades are quite nice, they retain the original look of the game more than any fan made texture pack that has come before.

They are. They'd probably look a lot better if they were seen in conjunction with new effects, though. As it is, the textures are pretty much bearing the full brunt of the visual upgrade, so any faults or low res examples will stand out badly. If the game had a more comprehensive overhaul, the textures would probably look a lot more impressive by sheer virtue of the fact that they wouldn't get as much scrutiny.

OoT3D illustrates what I'm talking about. Those new textures aren't always that great and some even look blotchy already, but in conjunction with the lighting and other alterations, they look perfectly fine. It doesn't matter if they're a little low res, the combined impact of all the improvements makes the game look great.

Mory Dunz

Is amazon just getting small shipments, or is the game selling out indicative of future sales?

Must know for future predictions >_>

The character models did receive a nice upgrade, still a perplexed on the hyrule field bit they showed. Don't remember it looking that bad.
Something about the grass texture being more detailed makes it look considerably worse and the colors despite having more contrast make the mistakes stand out more.
There's also something in the eyes. Midna and Zelda's move a lot more when I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to

kgb525

Neo Member
The character models did receive a nice upgrade, still a perplexed on the hyrule field bit they showed. Don't remember it looking that bad.
Something about the grass texture being more detailed makes it look considerably worse and the colors despite having more contrast make the mistakes stand out more.
There's also something in the eyes. Midna and Zelda's move a lot more when I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to

I know exactly what you mean. I don't know, but I was super unimpressed with how it looked. To the point where I wonder if it's even worth doing. I guess if it gets more people to play the game that haven't, that's a good thing. But at the same time, I don't want this to become too much of a trend. We'll see.

I know exactly what you mean. I don't know, but I was super unimpressed with how it looked. To the point where I wonder if it's even worth doing. I guess if it gets more people to play the game that haven't, that's a good thing. But at the same time, I don't want this to become too much of a trend. We'll see.
I do want to play it, just think hyrule field looks really bad. Everything else is a nice enough upgrade, I guess.
I haven't replayed that game...ever, if they can make it run and look decent in HD while fixing some of the basic issues and modernizing the controls then I'd be set.
Tantalus apparently did a good job fixing Deus Ex Revolution Wii U while adding good gamepad support so I'd imagine a 1st party title will use the gamepad in a more interesting fashion (while likely supporting the pro controller)
Just hope they can get hyrule field into a more presentable state.
But yeah, they might want to cool it with the remakes for awhile after this...though a Zelda collection on NX eventually would be appreciated...just not anytime soon.
I'd like to replay these every few years and having them all in one place with added fixes and visual enhancements would be great

I hope they made shielding manual in this version. I didn't like the auto-shielding while L-targeting. Such an obvious concession made for the Wii controls that the GCN version absolutely didn't need.

PKrockin

I hope they made shielding manual in this version. I didn't like the auto-shielding while L-targeting. Such an obvious concession made for the Wii controls that the GCN version absolutely didn't need.
Why, though? I can't think of a reason not to be shielding.

I never liked how having your shield out almost meant you were invincible in a lot of these games. I've been playing without equipping/using shields for a long time now to make things just a little less braindead easy, but then they started making shield usage a requirement for some of the advanced moves. Skyward Sword at least improved it a lot by requiring you to time your block, making it really satisfying if nothing else.

I wish everybody posting saying "So they call it a remaster and they only reworked some textures?" would remember that during the reveal it was stated that more details would be released in the future. I'm expecting gameplay refinements and or improvements. Given the pedigree of WWHD we shouldn't expect so little.

If it comes out that that's all they actually did, that's fine and you'd all be right. However, at least wait for all the information to be revealed before stating opinions as fact.

Top Bottom