• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess HD officially announced.

Aroll

So do we know if the $60 version includes the Amiibo?

And I assume $40 digitally?

I'd assume $50 digital/stand alone. Same price as TWWHD. Bundle gets you a $3 discount off the amiibo.

No way they chop off $20. That means it's cheaper to get the digital copy and the amiibo separate. They aren't going to price it like that. They will either cost the same together as apart, or be cheaper in the bundle slightly.

georly

Who knows, maybe they'll do that between now and release, but I won't put any hope into that. WWHD basically was born as a result of messing around with a lighting engine which is why it had new lighting.

We have to hope this game was born out of something similar. They mentioned fitting all of TP HDs overworld in one 'load' state, to prototype Zelda U, right? Maybe we'll see loading removed between zones (where possible), or something weird. I dunno.

I'd assume $50 digital/stand alone. Same price as TWWHD. Bundle gets you a $3 discount off the amiibo.

No way they chop off $20. That means it's cheaper to get the digital copy and the amiibo separate. They aren't going to price it like that. They will either cost the same together as apart, or be cheaper in the bundle slightly.

Makes sense. Thanks!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really hope my purchase with GameStop is safe and secure. They haven't put the money back on my card yet.

I don't want to put in orders with multiple places because I'm stupid enough to forget about them and won't remember to cancel the others. Then I end up spending too much and having to sell the rest while also resisting the temptation to not be a dirty scalper.

That said, the new texture work looks fucking amazing. I might actually have to play it on a nice big TV instead of just my GamePad.

I like that gamexplain video. It's not a drastic upgrade, but it doesn't really bother me. I like how much clearer it looks.

I heard someone complain about how Zelda's shadowy turn was better in the original, but in that video you can see it's basically the same (you can see the eyes in the original), it's just that the original game is super blurry. Besides, the suspense as to who the character was lasted about 5 seconds anyways.

We have to hope this game was born out of something similar. They mentioned fitting all of TP HDs overworld in one 'load' state, to prototype Zelda U, right? Maybe we'll see loading removed between zones (where possible), or something weird. I dunno.

That'd be cool. Much smoother.

1) They actually mentioned making TP's Hyrule Field just be one "segment" of the overworld.

2) There already isn't a load screen between most of the segments within Hyrule Field (the exceptions are entry points into Hyrule Castle). They'd need to add in new connecting areas between the other zones to add any noticeable improvement, and that doesn't seem likely with this port.

Revven

1) They actually mentioned making TP's Hyrule Field just be one "segment" of the overworld.

2) There already isn't a load screen between most of the segments within Hyrule Field (the exceptions are entry points into Hyrule Castle). They'd need to add in new connecting areas between the other zones to add any noticeable improvement, and that doesn't seem likely with this port.

I still think if it's possible to do so then they should remove the loading zones that are there as it makes the field feel very disjointed.

Plus it could act as a "preview" to what an "open world" Zelda might feel like -- even if TP's world isn't necessarily open world in the typical sense.

I mean an upgrade is nice all but isn't this everyones least Zelda favorite game? Or was it just that it took a few hours up front for the game to get going?

Yes, but where is Amazon.ca's preorders? Or the rest of Canada in general?

:(

I mean an upgrade is nice all but isn't this everyones least Zelda favorite game? Or was it just that it took a few hours up front for the game to get going?
There's no consensus on this game. A lot of people love it, some people hate it, a lot of people in between. It has some glaring flaws, but I still think it's a fantastic game. Some of the best dungeons in the series and there are so many of them.

Revven

People like and dislike various parts of it. Some of the things people like about it far outweigh the parts people dislike (i.e the dungeon design is superb) but for others the stuff that's awful about it really do deter them from playing it (i.e the intro or the Tears of Light).

It all depends on how much you value the parts that TP does right vs what it does wrong and if what it does wrong really hurts your overall enjoyment of it.

Definitely in recent years it has been looked back on more fondly, much like Wind Waker, on the whole.

PtM

Banned
It was around its release. The Zelda Cycle.
There is no Zelda Cycle, only loud nagging at every release.

Majestad

Banned
Looking at the comparison with the older versions, this looks like a really great enhancement. The new textures look very nice.

Awesome! One more reason for me to finally buy a Wii U.

Can only speak for myself, but it's my second favourite (after A Link to the Past).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
People like and dislike various parts of it. Some of the things people like about it far outweigh the parts people dislike (i.e the dungeon design is superb) but for others the stuff that's awful about it really do deter them from playing it (i.e the intro or the Tears of Light).

It all depends on how much you value the parts that TP does right vs what it does wrong and if what it does wrong really hurts your overall enjoyment of it.

Definitely in recent years it has been looked back on more fondly, much like Wind Waker, on the whole.
Or the parts that is considered wrong that you consider wrong yourzel, I like the beginning of the game for instance .

A bit out of the loop on bits of info here, but has it been announced how/where to get the soundtrack CD preorder bonus? Is it a retailer exclusive?

my sister is playing twilight princess, it's funny to see a person play the game without knowing what to do in regards to some puzzles that feels like second nature if you played lots of zeldas.

Tookay

It won GAF's game of the year back in 2006.

It has its vocal detractors, like any other long-running series.

Kouriozan

I saw both GameXplain video and now I'm impressed with Tantalus's work.
It sure wasn't easy to re-draw literally every textures of this game, it really made me think about the guy who is doing the same for RE4.

I saw both GameXplain video and now I'm impressed with Tantalus's work.
It sure wasn't easy to re-draw literally every textures of this game, it really made me think about the guy who is doing the same for RE4.
They probably aren't redrawing every texture, but instead using the original higher res textures, although there is a substantial amount of new textures.

This line from the reveal always gets me:

"To make this game more enjoyable, we've created a new Amiibo..."

Scan the Wolf Link Amiibo to unlock a new lighting engine and two extra dungeons?

bryanee

Are Amazon UK going to pull their fingers out and put this up for pre-order at some point?

If the amiibo version is Game exclusive...ughghghgh

Revven

If Zant's armor is any indication of texture upgrades to NPCs and bosses then I'm very excited to see Argorok and Morpheel with non-blurry textures. Those two bosses already looked pretty amazing but with even better textures? Oh my lawd.

Scan the Wolf Link Amiibo to unlock a new lighting engine and two extra dungeons?

lol I was expecting something drastic when he said that.

I don't know, maybe like you could have the option to play with motion plus or something.

I wonder what wolf Link unlocks though.

RPGCrazied

Hopefully its not rupees, those are pretty useless in TP unlike SS. Maybe an alternate costume or something.

Hopefully its not rupees, those are pretty useless in TP unlike SS. Maybe an alternate costume or something.

Why would it be rupees? lol

I don't see any reason how it could possibly be rupees :p. And yeah, they were pointless.

By the way, now that you mention rupees. I hope the next Zelda doesn't stop to explain rupees or items you have found already a million times every time you restart the game. That was one of my biggest problems with Skyward Sword. I like the game, but man, I hate that. If I remember correctly Twilight Princess did the same with fucking rupees when you restarted the game.

Scrawnton

If there's anything the remake needs, it's not more dungeons. This game already has the best dungeons out of any Zelda game. The amount of dungeons is just right.

Edit: finally went ahead and pulled the trigger on a preorder. Very excited for this.

Nerrel

More examples of how you can see the big texture upgrades in this game for people who think it looks the same or not much work was done

That video actually demonstrates how utterly similar that game still looks to me. The textures are an obvious improvement, but that really is all that's there.

New content/dungeons isn't what remakes/remasters mean.
Like WWHD was just that...Wind Waker in HD, refined the gameplay and polishing up some of the fixable flaws.
New dungeons would require a lot of extra work and wouldn't be worth it nor make sense.

Why would it be rupees? lol

I don't see any reason how it could possibly be rupees :p. And yeah, they were pointless.

By the way, now that you mention rupees. I hope the next Zelda doesn't stop to explain rupees or items you have found already a million times every time you restart the game. That was one of my biggest problems with Skyward Sword. I like the game, but man, I hate that. If I remember correctly Twilight Princess did the same with fucking rupees when you restarted the game.

Ugh yea mostly for any rupee that isn't green. That shit was so annoying.

Fierce Deity mask, believe.

But seriously, probably just refills your lantern when you tap the amiibo....

Edit: letting you play as the Hero's Shade and White Wolf would also be cool.

leroidys

Have this pre-ordered, but this announcement mainly served to make me really wish that a Thousand Year Door remaster was a thing.

Battlechili

Banned
I don't even own a Wii U and I'll probably preorder it for the soundtrack and Amiibo. I gotta have Midna in some sort of figurine form. Plus the TP soundtrack is my fave.

Celine

My favorite remains Ocarina of Time, but I still regard Twilight Princess as the best 3D Zelda made until now (of course it has flaws).

jeffers

I've got majoras mask and ocarina of time on 3ds, wwhd on wiiu, skyward sword still fairly fresh in mind from Wii. I'll take a tphd.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It's my favourite 3d Zelda. The dungeons are just fantastic. I also enjoyed the whole set-up/story more than the others.

Top Bottom