• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks blu-ray officially announced: 90 MINUTES OF FWWM DELETED SCENES (Trailer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyber

After seeing this thread I decided to finally watch the show. Finished season 1 a few hours ago and my first thought was "was that it?".

Sure I liked it (especially the music), but given the praise I've seen I expected a bit more.

Should I stick with it and go through season 2 as well? Saw that it was almost 3 times as many episodes in that season and I hope it isn't a bunch of filler episodes.

White Man

I've mentioned it before, but it's worth repeating: The most recent release of Blue Velvet has abut an hour of deleted scenes, and a lot of them are really neat and change the context of a couple things in the movie. But the most interesting thing is that some of the scenes really point toward what Lynch would do with Twin Peaks. There's some "weird small town" stuff in there.

Slygmous

After seeing this thread I decided to finally watch the show. Finished season 1 a few hours ago and my first thought was "was that it?".

Sure I liked it (especially the music), but given the praise I've seen I expected a bit more.

Should I stick with it and go through season 2 as well? Saw that it was almost 3 times as many episodes in that season and I hope it isn't a bunch of filler episodes.

The first quarter of season 2 is definitely worth it, but expect a ridiculous quality drop part way in. The finale is still worth watching as well, should you make it that far.
I only finished watching the series for the first time a few months ago.

Possibly skip the movie though.

7.1 seems unnecessary trouble for the sound engineers since not even modern blockbusters have mixes with so many channels, but if they do it properly I won't complain :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
7.1 seems unnecessary trouble for the sound engineers since not even modern blockbusters have mixes with so many channels, but if they do it properly I won't complain :p

I'm guessing Lynch is thinking about the future with this release. He's not getting any younger, and confirmed this will be the last thing he makes Twin Peaks related. So I assume part of this is preservation and so that people can enjoy this in the future more.

Real Hero

Season 1 is the best so no I wouldn't bother. Check out the movie though it is a more horror and you might like it

PolishQ

I am thinking of re-watching the series for a month before the BluRay set comes out.

If you already know all the spoilers but haven't seen the show in a long time, is it better to watch in chronological order or release order? Fire Walk With Me, and then the TV series? Or TV series followed by Fire Walk With Me?

If you've already seen the series, I have a friend who concocted a new viewing method. Bear in mind that this is still experimental and untested!

What you do is start with the crappy season 2 episodes. Hear me out. This is in part to get them out of the way early, but also, taken on their own, without the excellence of the preceding episodes, they're much easier to watch. It's like a milder, slow-paced introduction to the town. You might notice new little moments that you missed the first time while you were busy eye-rolling.

So you start with episode 18 -
Leland
's funeral - and go from there to the end of the series. Then you watch FWWM, which is both intended to be watched after the end of the series AND leads in to the beginning of the series. And finally you watch episodes 1-17 and end on the highest note possible.

If you take this on, you may be the first to try the Lewandowski Method!

amnesiac

1400591809000-twinpeaks-b2w-lauzirika-color.jpg

Tenck

Been watching Twin Peaks non-stop for the first time. I've enjoyed every single second so far (just like 2 episodes from the end of season 2). Quickly launched Chrome because I wanted to finish it on Amazon already, and I see the Blu Ray set being recommended. I don't think I've ever made a purchase decision so fast in my life :p

Guri

I'm guessing Lynch is thinking about the future with this release. He's not getting any younger, and confirmed this will be the last thing he makes Twin Peaks related. So I assume part of this is preservation and so that people can enjoy this in the future more.

Did he really? Well, to be fair, a third season without Frank Silva would be hard to see.

Honey Bunny

Been watching Twin Peaks non-stop for the first time. I've enjoyed every single second so far (just like 2 episodes from the end of season 2). Quickly launched Chrome because I wanted to finish it on Amazon already, and I see the Blu Ray set being recommended. I don't think I've ever made a purchase decision so fast in my life :p

ibthexmVHjWhQN.gif

I'll be waiting for it to hit 40 quid myself. Only bought the DVD box set last year ._.

Kevin

Why did the price go UP $27? I thought the $93 was way to expensive. I think $60 is my max I'll pay for this and I really like the series.

Is HD worth it for so old serie? Or should i get some other version?
If you've never watched anything from Twin Peaks before, perhaps it would best serve you to rent it/watch it on amazon/netflix/etc. first. I couldn't tell someone to drop $100 on a bluray set for a series that they might not enjoy.

That said, the gold edition is very solid and the quality is great for dvds.

PolishQ

If a TV series was shot on film (which Twin Peaks was), then HD will typically look amazing. See: recent HD releases of The Prisoner, the original Star Trek series, and Star Trek: TNG which is about the same vintage as Twin Peaks.

If a TV series was shot on film (which Twin Peaks was), then HD will typically look amazing. See: recent HD releases of The Prisoner, the original Star Trek series, and Star Trek: TNG which is about the same vintage as Twin Peaks.
You can even add the twilight zone to that list (aside from like, four episodes). The blurays of that look awesome too.

Ashok

Banned
I don't know what I'm more excited about this summer. The Oculus Rift DK2 or Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery. Probably Twin Peaks. :D

3rdman

As others have mentioned, since it was shot on film (Fujifilm to be exact :p), it is naturally HD and the fact that David Lynch was directly involved bods very well that everything will be up to a high standard. We know that the added footage had to be re-timed, scored, and edited before Lynch would allow it to see the light of day so at the very least, it's a sign that this will be a quality release.

Estocolmo

I just saw Twin Peaks for the first time 10 days ago. I saw all episodes in 10 days and I'm amazed by so much of the P universe. I haven't seen the movie however, should I wait until this is released to see it in its "true" uncut form?

Lynch mixes his movies in 3.1 (surround channels are entirely or almost entirely silent) because he dislikes sounds coming from behind the viewer and distracting him so it's probably not Lynch's decision to do 7.1, as the previous 5.1 mixes would probably more than enough for him.

Sources:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/8874107-post40.html

Most of Lynch's "5.1" remixes are really 3.1, since he decided a few years ago that he doesn't like surround sound anymore.

http://dugpa.com/interviews/john-ne...ire/john-neff-engineer-extraordinaire-part-2/

because David has a 10% rule on surrounds, they can’t be more than 10% the strength of the front. You’re never yanked out of the picture.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4640/bluevelvet.html

Blue Velvet' originally played theatrically in Dolby Stereo sound. For the 2002 Special Edition DVD release, David Lynch personally remixed the audio into 5.1. That mix has been encoded here in lossless DTS-HD Master Audio format. However, it must be noted that Lynch also developed an aversion to surround sound over the last decade. Like many Lynch-approved 5.1 mixes, the Blu-ray soundtrack is actually only 3.1. If there's any surround activity at all in the movie, I didn't notice it. The back channels are silent.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7602/twinpeaks-fwwm_jp.html

The soundtrack on the Japanese Blu-ray is provided in PCM 5.1 format. As I've discussed in earlier reviews, David Lynch dislikes surround sound, and all of his "5.1" sound mixes actually only have 3.1 active channels. The back speakers are completely silent throughout. This is an artistic decision, not a mastering error.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7581/wildatheart_fr2010.html

The first thing to note about this track is that David Lynch has developed a distaste for surround sound over the years. Although technically encoded in 5.1 format, the back channels are completely silent throughout. The soundtrack is essentially a 3.1 mix, with all audio in either the front channels or the subwoofer. This matches the Lynch-approved DVD release from 2004, and is simply the way that the director prefers his movies to sound.

and so on.

LaNaranja

This isn't a limited edition is it? Twin Peaks is my absolute favorite show but there is no way in hell I am paying over $100 for it. I'll wait for it to drop to a more reasonable price.

amnesiac

This isn't a limited edition is it? Twin Peaks is my absolute favorite show but there is no way in hell I am paying over $100 for it. I'll wait for it to drop to a more reasonable price.

No, I don't think it's a limited edition. If you wait a year or so you should be able to snag it for around $60. Amazon should have a good deal near Christmas.

hydruxo

No it's not limited. I'm gonna do the same thing and wait for the price to inevitably drop. No reason to buy it for more than 100 bucks unless you're a superfan and really want it ASAP.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Aww yisss

Will buy :D

lednerg

http://collider.com/twin-peaks-the-entire-mystery-review/

Not really a "review", just some quotes from the cast at a showing of the deleted scenes.

"Thank you all very much for being here tonight. There is an abundance of fish in the sea. But tonight, I would like to speak about wood. There are many times in the world when the phone rings and someone is inquiring about wood. This happens primarily at lumber yards, and in this case, it is necessary to have a phone. It is only natural that trees are growing and that they are made of wood. Much happiness can come from observing a tree, and the same can be said about observing the many shapes fashioned out of wood. Quite often, when we are talking about beauty, we are talking about wood. Thank you very much!"​

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Daigoro

I'm not going to talk about Judy.

In fact, we're not going to talk about Judy at all. We're going to keep her out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom