• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched Season 2 for the first time this year, and the 7 or so episodes after Leland dies are, indeed, a dumpster fire. However, once Windom Earle becomes a thing, it starts to get back on track and build toward the awesome finale. It's really only that 7 episode patch that's unwatchable -- so about a 3rd of the season.

I like the episode directed by Uli Edel, except for the Lana stuff (the worst Twin Peaks storyline, though people hardly ever mention it). It's smack in the middle of the bad stretch of Season 2 and surrounded by weaker episodes, but it's at least good. Nice atmosphere, some neat ideas (the fire in Eckhardt's glasses!) and it starts off and ends strong with the horror movie-esque Leo scenes. One of the best Ben civil war scenes too, personally I always enjoyed those.

oatmeal

Banned
Well, that's pretty fucking crazy.
Naw.

That would be impossible. Since scenes that seem like they are meaningless all keep coming back to be important for unexpected reasons. There hasn't been a single scene (except arguably the musical acts) that could be removed so far in the narrative.
There's literally endless scenes that don't need to exist if you want to focus on the narrative lol.

8...you are in for a treat. For what its worth, #9 is also pretty great.

In any case, you sound like me when I first discovered Lynch...I hated Blue Velvet when I first saw it but eventually learned to love it.

I liked BV my first time. I don't think I'm in for a treat on 8 since I hated 4 so much it made me stop.

hydruxo

Kyle said at SDCC he likes the name "Mr. C" best

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There's literally endless scenes that don't need to exist if you want to focus on the narrative lol.

I mean, perhaps the main narrative. But we have no idea where things like Wally, Truman calling Truman, and other scenes are going to lead to.

This wouldn't be a problem if we had been allowed to binge it, but I'd certainly be sad that I'd have watched all episodes already and wouldn't be able to look forward for more.

I mean, perhaps the main narrative. But we have no idea where things like Wally, Truman calling Truman, and other scenes are going to lead to.

This wouldn't be a problem if we had been allowed to binge it, but I'd certainly be sad that I'd have watched all episodes already and wouldn't be able to look forward for more.

If someone just wants narrative threads, they can go read the wiki. A story is just as much about how it's told as it is about what is told. No one tells a story like Lynch/Frost, for better or worse. If we never see Wally Brando again, that's fine he served his purpose.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The interview reminded me I can't wait until Ed actually appears in the new season.

People keep wanting to see Audrey, but we haven't seen Ed yet either.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The interview reminded me I can't wait until Ed actually appears in the new season.

People keep wanting to see Audrey, but we haven't seen Ed yet either.

I hope he's with Norma. They both deserve each other.

If someone just wants narrative threads, they can go read the wiki. A story is just as much about how it's told as it is about what is told. No one tells a story like Lynch/Frost, for better or worse. If we never see Wally Brando again, that's fine he served his purpose.

This is true as well, I bet if we only had the really, really relevant pieces of stories, many of us would eventually say "I wish we could have had more" and would lose it if they got the rest of the season. That's not to say that people's frustrations/opinions are not valid, even if I don't share them.

Dusk Golem

So here's some misc things from the Twin Peaks panel, it indeed didn't spill much about the show but had some interesting bits.

-Apparently the show opened with a video Lynch made for the panel which was about five minutes long, here's a couple descriptions of it:

“Good afternoon ladies and gentleman,” said Lynch in the first take before being interrupted, “Hey buddy, don’t go out that door. We’re on the fourth floor, we’re not on the ground.” Lynch then got up walked off camera and you could hear someone fall down an elevator shaft. Then there were sounds of car crash and honks. Lynch reappeared in the second take holding an arm, and then taking a golf ball out of it. “This is the last golf ball that O.J. Simpson hit before he went into jail in Nevada.” Angelo Badalamenti’s main Twin Peaks theme played over the entire video.
Friday's panel kicked off with a brief video from Lynch, thanking fans for joining the cast at Comic-Con before repeatedly cutting to static as chaos broke out off-screen, involving a horse, a gun and Lynch's cat.

"You can't bring a horse in here! What are you doing?!" -- out of context David Lynch

"Get that horse out of here! Get that horse out of here! You're ruining all my stuff!" -- David Lynch

Lindelof kicked things off with a film from Lynch. It was a short, strange piece that kept cutting out and piling on the strange developments. Lynch began by saying hello, but then he started yelling at someone off-camera. At that point, it sounded like a man fell from a great height. Lynch came back and said, “I’ve got to show you something” — and lifted up what looked like a dead hand. There was something in the hand: “This supposedly is the last golf ball O.J. Simpson hit before going into prison.” The film cut out again and then Lynch was back: “Today you’re going to meet some great actresses and actors …” Lynch began, but then, off-camera, it sounded like total chaos was breaking out. Lynch: “You can’t bring a horse in here. Manuel, take that gun away.” Fans packed into Hall H heard the sound of a horse whinnying. And then the film finally abruptly cut out.

The director created a video greeting for the fans.

And, as you can imagine, it was beyond words. But since the short film has yet to be released, we’ll try to do it justice.

Lynch’s message never got past a simple greeting — “Good afternoon ladies and gentleman” — but he made the most of a static camera in a dark room. Pointed at the director sitting in a wooden chair, Lynch kept getting distracted by action offscreen.

First, someone walked out a door and fell, presumably, to his death. Then Lynch showed off a clinched hand holding a golf ball Lynch described as “the last golf ball O.J. Simpson hit before going into prison in Nevada” before the camera cut out. When it started up again, a horse, a gun, and a cat were involved.

-Pretty much known, but they confirm none of them have seen the episodes that haven't aired yet, they all see the episodes at the same time as other people, and most except Kyle don't know anything except what was aired and what was in the scenes they were filmed in.

-Naomi Watts teases that when you get the call from David, you take the call and do what you have to do, even wearing a bunny suit, but she takes it back after she says that saying maybe that was another project.

-Naomi Watts and Laura Dern apparently went to Lynch's house a few years ago to coax him into returning to Twin Peaks, but he wouldn't say anything on it. He called them back later with lines for them to do for the new season, gave them a cup of coffee and the pages only included the scenes Janey-E had with Dougie. Other scenes were blacked out.

-Matthew Lillard says he still hasn't seen the original Twin Peaks at this point and talks about being at the casting for a David Lynch film when you're not very familiar with his works ahead of time, it's a very strange experience. He apparently also did some fan service for the audience and voiced some Twin Peaks stuff in his Shaggy (Scooby-Doo) voice. He also talks about how part of his audition process spontaneously doing the scene we would later see in Part 9 where he has to breakdown, and doing this scene on the spot while talking about life and stuff for an audition for something David Lynch was one of the scariest things he ever had to do as an actor.

-Asked for the cast's take on Dougie, Naomi blurts out immediately, "He's hot." Kimmy Robertson (Lucy) gives her take on Dougie when the cast is asked for their hot takes on Dougie, “It’s very easy, if you ever meet any families who live out in the suburbs and work [there], it’s very easy to slip through the cracks and say one word a month without anyone noticing. And what wife wouldn’t like that?”

-Kimmy also mentions when she got the call if she'd like to return to Twin Peaks, she was in bed and due to the surprise and excitement by the end of the call somehow she had ended up beneath her bed.

-Some of the actors haven't watched the new series yet. Naomi Watts has been travelling the world recently with a lot of places without good internet, so she decided she'll watch it in big chunks and go through all of it once she gets back home. Tim Roth has a fun plan for it, “I’m going to wait till it’s done and watch the [original seasons and then season 3] all the way through to the end with my kids. We’re going to have a festival. I don’t know what that’s going to do to us, but I’m up for it.”

-Here's a fun bit about working with Lynch:
His work can go into dark and strange areas, but working with Lynch is nothing but pleasurable. “He has this peace about him that is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced,” Lillard said. “His belief in his process and his vision and his point of view is so profound and focus, and he inspires me that way,” MacLachlan added. “He follows this dream in his mind and I find that inspirational in my life, to go after the thing I believe in.” “He really shows great appreciation for other people’s work,” cast member Murray said. “And he never fails to do that. You go home from a day’s work with David and you feel good about it and about the world because you’ve had that experience.” “He knows how to get a performance, he digs deep,” McGill noted.

-Kyle mentions that the Black Lodge is unlike anywhere else in the Twin Peaks world, and mentions “It feels very focused and like electricity is buzzing around,”.

-An audience member who had never seen “Twin Peaks” asked the cast to “describe it in a nutshell.” “Just throw the nut away,” MacLachlan said. “Keep the shell,” Watts added

Thanks, Dusk Golem! Lots of exciting stuff.
-An audience member who had never seen ”Twin Peaks" asked the cast to ”describe it in a nutshell." ”Just throw the nut away," MacLachlan said. ”Keep the shell," Watts added
I'm sure it was unintentional, but it's funny that the answer to "what is Twin Peaks?" is more orb-like imagery.

Also interesting that Laura Dern and Naomi Watts coaxed him into returning to Twin Peaks, considering that they had nothing to do with Twin Peaks.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So at this point, people have seen part 11, right? Should I quit the thread before it gets dangerous? Also, thanks, Dusk! Nice summary.

Thanks, Dusk Golem! Lots of exciting stuff.

I'm sure it was unintentional, but it's funny that the answer to "what is Twin Peaks?" is more orb-like imagery.

Also interesting that Laura Dern and Naomi Watts coaxed him into returning to Twin Peaks, considering that they had nothing to do with Twin Peaks.

Just friends who might like their friend's work and want him to do just a bit more before he can't and regrets it. Probably. Maybe.

Nice recap Dusk thanks. Lol at the OJ gag, I need to see that video.

Also Dern and Watts are now even more awesome with urging Lynch to pursue this project. I wonder if that was before or after Frost approached him. I can imagine Lynch initially grumbling at it if it was the former. Dude just wants to paint all day eryday.

NOW WHO'S READY FOR SOME SPOILERS...

I kid. Unless there's a large contingent of folks here discussing it think I'll just stick to the dedicated thread on dugpa.

Linkin112

They said they don't want people to spoil it , we didn't sign shit, I could spoil Dougie plays Nintendo 64 and then eats popcorn if I want
Get hype
Ah, good to see most people are sticking to not spoiling it. Then there's Reddit posting weird hints that could just be someone bullshitting lol.

Dusk Golem

I didn't see the episode but one friend at comiccon messaged me he thinks I'm going to love the episode.

I told him not to spoil me, and he mostly didn't but he mentioned two minor things. Apparently he thinks one of the show's scariest sequences is in the next episode (but that's subjective), and hinted there was
pie
in the episode, but he might've been joking since I was the one who mentioned it in a sarcastic way and he may have humored me.

To be seen.

If it's a crowd pleaser, then it must be Cooper coming back with Jeffries in a surprise Bowie cameo and they spend the next 58 minutes beating up Richard and Chad in the Roadhouse while Julee Cruise performs her newest album.

Linkin112

I didn't see the episode but one friend at comiccon messaged me he thinks I'm going to love the episode.

I told him not to spoil me, and he mostly didn't but he mentioned two minor things. Apparently he thinks one of the show's scariest sequences is in the next episode (but that's subjective), and hinted there was
pie
in the episode, but he might've been joking since I was the one who mentioned it in a sarcastic way and he may have humored me.

To be seen.
Guess that first part reinforces a tweet I saw saying "Nothing like a room full of people gasping in horror" and that the episode was "Terrifying, then hilarious"

Flipyap

-Naomi Watts teases that when you get the call from David, you take the call and do what you have to do, even wearing a bunny suit, but she takes it back after she says that saying maybe that was another project.
That's not a tease, she was talking about Rabbits.

They weren't. They were trying to get him to film anything ("We were trying to coax him into some ideas and get something going. Kind of, you know, that's what you do with David. Come on, hire me again!"), she only heard about the new Twin Peaks through rumors before Lynch invited her back to "read something."

Well now I'm not sure if I wanna be spoiled lmao, especially what with the supposed scariest part yet. If there's one aspect of this season I've found somewhat underwhelming it's spooks, not much has come close to the horrors in FWWM. I'd hate to neuter the potential high scare point knowing what it is going in, though I'm sure it'll still have an effect.

edit:

Video from the panel's Q&A

Vectorman

Banned
Panel was fun. Asked Kyle to talk up Mr. C. This episode made me like Dougie again. Cheers people lololol. The best since 8. Kimmy is a sweetheart signing my book. Crazy there weren't more folks.

Slaythe

Guys, don't actually spoil the episode but set our expectations :

Huge or not ?

Moving forward significantly or just "funny episode"

Character come back ?

Not

Banned
Sounds like Dougie surpasses Coop as a character in this episode

No need for him to return now

If it's a crowd pleaser, then it must be Cooper coming back with Jeffries in a surprise Bowie cameo and they spend the next 58 minutes beating up Richard and Chad in the Roadhouse while Julee Cruise performs her newest album.

He said crowd-pleaser, not nirvana itself

Dusk Golem

Okay, what the hell? It almost feels like when people complain about something in this thread, the next episode immediately counters it.

After Part 8 some in this thread were complaining about lack of character banter, and then Part 9 & 10 were full of character banter.

People complain about
the Roadhouse Music scenes in Part 10, and my friend mentioned to me that Part 11 actually does not have a music number scene in the episode.
I'm tagging this as a spoiler, but trust me there is absolutely no story spoilers in these tags. It's about something apparently not in Part 11 rather than something in Part 11.

It's Cosmic, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom