• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Slam sux, sorry.

Blasphemy!! TM2 Slam is one of the most challenging skill inducing, yet equally destructive mofo in TM franchise. Took tons of timing skills but if you could land lead slams and running slams on people without accidentally knocking victim outta way of slam... DMG TIME! drive backwards, lay mines, shoot missiles, all while ur enemy is eating it up in crane.

Hard to believe pre-release footage when only a few thousand people are online. Same shit could happen for all we know when 100's of thousands of players are trying to play online all at once. Hope for the best, but I wouldn't be surprised, luckily the game has a Server/Custom Lobby system so even if matchmaking is borked people can play that way.

don't worry about that

JardeL

Launch 60gb PAL PS3 owner here and I could not even play a single minute because whenever I tried to load the game it kept resetting my PS3. bored of seeing PS3 recovery menu after 11th try and deleted the demo. Hopefully full version will not let me down.

ElRenoRaven

I just realized something... I have not preordered it yet I want it day one. Is Axel the only preorder bonus and is TM:Black part of first editions or do I have to preorder for TM:Black?

Yup. And Twisted Metal: ZBlack is just first run editions. It isn't just for preorders so if you buy it at launch or shortly after you'll get black.

Twisted Metal Tutorial "Twisted Metal University" from PSBlog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba0oF5MTEbw

Oh damn that absorption shield looks fun. Can't wait to unlock that.

Moofers

Twisted Metal |OT| Flaming Chainsaw for President

flamesaw.jpg

:D

Nice, I'm particularly pleased that rear freezes are back. The absorption shield sounds interesting as well. But it doesn't appear as though you have to choose between variations of energy attacks, you just unlock them and then it adds onto the already complex control scheme :\

As far as side arms go I see myself using the magnum most often, I'll take power over homing any day.

ElRenoRaven

Nice, I'm particularly pleased that rear freezes are back. The absorption shield sounds interesting as well. But it doesn't appear as though you have to choose between variations of energy attacks, you just unlock them and then it adds onto the already complex control scheme :\

As far as side arms go I see myself using the magnum most often, I'll take power over homing any day.

Yea but it adds to the depth in a good way I think. It's still simple too. Just hit that triangle. I like it though because now you'll have to think do I do the normal shield or the absorption one which lasts a shorter time but gets me a weapon. Same with the mines and the freeze. It really seems that the guys have really thought about balance in the game. It's going to be easy to play but so hard to master. I love it.

On the side arms I'm torn. I'm old school int that the regular unlimited guns like we had in the demo are my first choice but those homing rockets from what I've seen can be damn handy. So I'm very torn.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The demo is truly gone ;_; Well... it did its job. And why doesn't this thread have a proper title yet? A lot of good suggestions here, just pick one and roll with it.

More suggestions:
Twisted Metal |OT| Your GF will pleasure you! give you a "flaming chainsaw"

If this is to be the last game in the series, well, at least we finally got a new Twisted Metal to remind us the better days of gaming. Jaffe be praised!
I hope this kicks off the car combat renaissance. Although Amazon has this listed as a fighting game, which is pretty funny.

ElRenoRaven

I hope this kicks off the car combat renaissance. Although Amazon has this listed as a fighting game, which is pretty funny.

Yea Amazon has always done that for some reason. This genre of game really has been underrated. I love games like Twisted Metal. I miss games like Desruction Derby Re-Volt, and even games like Monster Truck Madness. All it is anymore is FPS, Fighter, RPG, Random Sports game here including sim racing game.

With games like I listed there was destruction and mayhem and just pure fun. That's the one thing that has really saddened me this generation.

Unicorn

Blasphemy!! TM2 Slam is one of the most challenging skill inducing, yet equally destructive mofo in TM franchise. Took tons of timing skills but if you could land lead slams and running slams on people without accidentally knocking victim outta way of slam... DMG TIME! drive backwards, lay mines, shoot missiles, all while ur enemy is eating it up in crane.

Absolutely, TM2 Slam is a beast. Perfect for those size stages, the more melee style combat. But, to bring him back for this TM would make him dreadful. Most cars have turret style weapons, or long/midrange specials. Slam would be hard pressed to catch anyone in this speedy, spacious outing. Ramming Darkside aside, melee specials are impractical.

Also, got-damn I forgot how much damage Freeze does in TM2.

Yea but it adds to the depth in a good way I think. It's still simple too. Just hit that triangle. I like it though because now you'll have to think do I do the normal shield or the absorption one which lasts a shorter time but gets me a weapon. Same with the mines and the freeze. It really seems that the guys have really thought about balance in the game. It's going to be easy to play but so hard to master. I love it.

On the side arms I'm torn. I'm old school int that the regular unlimited guns like we had in the demo are my first choice but those homing rockets from what I've seen can be damn handy. So I'm very torn.
I agree about it adding another layer to the depth. I also think there is opportunity to expand even further on this. For example perhaps you could switch out one of your EMP attacks to an EMP mine which has the same effect but loses it's homing and requires you to trick the enemy into driving over it, but the catch is it would take up less energy so it's risk/reward. Or more shield variations such as one that instead of blocking the enemy fire actually takes the damage done and adds it to your health, but the catch is it would take up a crazy amount of energy. Or one that reflects attacks so if it's a homing weapon it homes back on its shooter or if it's a free fire weapon it uses trajectory mechanics to re-orient it's path. Some mine varients could be one that does little/no damage but bounces you in the air making you prone to a follow up attack, or another that makes you lose some/all of your pick-ups.

It'd involve a heck lot of more balancing but that'd be something cool to add if they ever decide to revisit Twisted Metal, whether this or in a sequel (don't say that's out of the realm of possibility, look at the history of how each TM was developed). You'd select two for each energy weapon type and it would really open up to several unique play styles and give the game a ton more replay value.

But for everyone having the same 6 energy attacks is awesome!

ElRenoRaven

Well it's looking like the trophies for the game have leaked out via some who have gotten it early. I love the TMA node there. Those guys deserve a shout out. And thanks to SickShotzToo there for posting it.

TMA - Complete story mode without dying or switching cars in the garage.

Point, Shoot, Kill - Kill 100 enemies with every missle.

Any Car Will Do - 50 kills with every car in online ranked games.

Tantric Twised - 50 cars killed by yourself in endurance mode.

Twisted Gold - Earn gold medal in every campaign event and boss fight on twisted difficulty.

Racing? In a Twisted Metal game? - Don't miss any gates and win the battle in Race #2, one player only

Truly Twisted - Complete story mode on twisted difficultly.

Remote Nuke - Kill 3 players with a single remote bomb.

Another Level - Win 10 ranked games in each map. Map size does not matter.

A la Mode - Win 10 ranked games in each game type.

We buy gold! - Earn a gold medal on every campaign event in any difficulty mode including co op.

...and I thank you for playing Twisted Metal. - Complete story mode on any difficulty.

Make up you mind. - Use the garage 25 times.

The One That Got Away - Complete the Sweet Tooth story on any difficulty.

Watch me Shine! - Complete the Doll Face Story on any difficulty.

Grimm's Dark Trip Back. - Complete Grimm story on any difficulty.

The most dangerous game. - Be the hunted/stay the hunted in ranked, unranked, or split screen local HUNTED GAME MODE for at least 4 minutes.

Cookie Party - Kill 3 enemies in a single game using drop mines.

Old School - Play a 2,3,4 player split screen game.

Blah, Blah, Blah, Gimme the Trophy - Play and finish the "Live Training" tutorial mode.

Twofer - Kill two enemies with a single rat rocket.

60 to 0 - Kill a player with full heath in one shot.

He's not heavy - As Talon, pick up a teammate (Ranked, unranked, split screen, campaign co-op)

Hidden Trophy

Because I care - Complete a campaign without hitting a single pedestrian.

Birth Control - Defeat the semi before a single enemy is spawned in Juggernaut DM - Watkyn's Harbor.

Tradin' Paint - Ram 5 players to death in a single online game.

Am I not merciful? - Kill 100 flaming gunners and/or drivers in campaign mode.

Fire in the sky - Shoot down an enemy missile 1 time in a tanked game of NUKE.

That. Just. Happened. - Kill yourself with a freeze cheat shot in ranked SM or LMS, or in any unranked or offline play.

Calypso - Achieve the highest online rank.

You think this game made itself? Watch the credits, start to finish.

I h8 poachers. - Finish a ranked game the the most damage done and fewest kills overall.

Medic! - Heal a teammate.

Grace under fire - Beat Metro Square Electric Cage on HARD MODE with 5 SECONDS LEFT in your GRACE PERIOD meter, Cooperative Story is allowed.

All Sales are final - Win at least 1 ranked online game per day for 30 days straight.

Right place, right time - Kill a player less than 5 seconds after you respawn, in an online game.

Up, up and away - Launch a nuke.

In your face - Hit statue with a nuke.

ElRenoRaven

How can you not love Jaffe? Seriously.

You know I don't now. If I was a chick I'd be all over him. He's just that fucking bad ass. Speaking of him he tweeted some more info about it.

And let's be clear- it ain't just bullets. They assure me there will be stuff that explodes and blows the hell up! Can't wait!

*edit* You know upon reading my post, that just sounded so wrong.

wcw

Neo Member
Eh? I don't see the appeal. Weird stunt.

Seems harmless and cheap for them to do. I think its the idea that you could blow up something like in the real Twisted Metal. Also I hope to see some TV ads for this game coming up. Maybe a Kevin Butler and David Jaffe spot. They seem to just have Jaffe pimping the game along with the demo. Sony usually throws some spots on TV and the web for their games.

Helscream

Banned

I am really digging this Twisted Metal University idea. This may be the deciding factor that helps turn the tables for the newcomers in keeping their copy (or perhaps buy it there of). The videos are very thorough and very easy to understand. Also gives a broader viewing spectrum to show just how awesome and chaotic the game is.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood

Yeah, this guy gets it :)

Mr. Slam is an advanced car you graduate to once you've been playing TM for awhile. He can be absolutely brutal in the hands of a skilled player. I agree he'd have to be tweaked some to be viable in this TM... all the cars seem so nimble now, feels like traditional Slam would have a difficult time keeping up and closing for kills with the way any damage breaks freeze now. I thought it might be fun for him to have one of those long horizontal bucket/shovel type attachments on the front instead of his traditional jaws of death. He could flip people great heights up into the air, and have an alt where he raises it up and smashes it down on people.

Not knocking Twister though, I want her as well!

I was playing a bit with the rockets sidearm at the San Fran event, and it was driving me crazy not having unlimited guns. Feels like I'm going to have to retrain myself a bit in that aspect of the game. If you can't access your sidearm and you're out of your main weapons, you can end up being completely helpless at critical times when you need that small damage boost to finish a fight.

ElRenoRaven

Yeah, this guy gets it :)

Mr. Slam is an advanced car you graduate to once you've been playing TM for awhile. He can be absolutely brutal in the hands of a skilled player. I agree he'd have to be tweaked some to be viable in this TM... all the cars seem so nimble now, feels like traditional Slam would have a difficult time keeping up and closing for kills with the way any damage breaks freeze now. I thought it might be fun for him to have one of those long horizontal bucket/shovel type attachments on the front instead of his traditional jaws of death. He could flip people great heights up into the air, and have an alt where he raises it up and smashes it down on people.

Not knocking Twister though, I want her as well!

I was playing a bit with the rockets sidearm at the San Fran event, and it was driving me crazy not having unlimited guns. Feels like I'm going to have to retrain myself a bit in that aspect of the game. If you can't access your sidearm and you're out of your main weapons, you can end up being completely helpless at critical times when you need that small damage boost to finish a fight.

Yea. The rockets obviously are a risk reward type weapon and with those having other weapons are more of a must then with an unlimited firing weapon. The reload time though is why I will probably end up going old school with the unlimited regular guns. But who knows. All said and done after getting my hands on them all I might find I like one of the others better.

Hey Jaffe. The facebook sharing link is messed up and actually provides no description about the shooting and instead provides information about the company who runs your Facebook marketing thingy.

;)

Odd it worked perfectly for me. See

yLPvP.jpg

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
All Sales are final - Win at least 1 ranked online game per day for 30 days straight.

Hah, this one amuses me.

The Shoot My Truck video is hilarious, I'm totally down for giving that a try. Hope they leave the gas tank full, lol.

ElRenoRaven

That's cool. For me, it gave a placeholder "www.shootmytruck.com; provided by Network Solutions" or something like that.

Talk about odd. How do you break something that was working perfectly fine? I'll never understand that myself. lol

Hah, this one amuses me.

The Shoot My Truck video is hilarious, I'm totally down for giving that a try. Hope they leave the gas tank full, lol.

According to David they'll have more then just bullets and they will be live and in the desert. They'll take breaks at times to redress the truck and add new things to blow up and shoot.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I tried again and it's fine. Weird. Look at the URL though... that's where the magic is:

wVtiE.jpg

I'm guessing the difference is if you just click share at the top of the page that it works, and if you click share in the popup that appears after you've successfully signed up that it gives you the broken one.

ryuu99

Banned
i feel like there should be a stats screen.

Jaffe talking about this vehicle having a faster regenerative power meter, lesser consumption of power meter than others, faster sacrifice rate, faster/slower time getting out of being frozen, etc.

i mean, once in the game you notice this and since it's so fast-paced and you can switch vehicles after you die makes it harder to gauge all these faster/slower/better/worse/greater/lesser things unless oyu stick with one vehicle for quite some time.

am i the only one who feels this way? i would like to know those stats so i can plan accordingly before choosing a vehicle rather than adapting and learning everything and what works what doesn't in the middle of the match while being shot at.

okay, there's training, but you don't really get frozen or power meter does not deplete, etc. aka you're in god mode.

Moofers

Jaffe talking about this vehicle having a faster regenerative power meter, lesser consumption of power meter than others, faster sacrifice rate, faster/slower time getting out of being frozen, etc.

i mean, once in the game you notice this and since it's so fast-paced and you can switch vehicles after you die makes it harder to gauge all these faster/slower/better/worse/greater/lesser things unless oyu stick with one vehicle for quite some time.

am i the only one who feels this way? i would like to know those stats so i can plan accordingly before choosing a vehicle rather than adapting and learning everything and what works what doesn't in the middle of the match while being shot at.

okay, there's training, but you don't really get frozen or power meter does not deplete, etc. aka you're in god mode.

This month's Official PlayStation Magazine has you covered. Pros/Cons of each vehicle, maps, etc. Kind of like an early strategy guide.

There will be a comprehensive wikia that will have stats and stuff.

Top Bottom