• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Bukana

Jaffe is mad salty that the GB crew have said more on mic about the Battleship Movie tie-in game than they have ever said (or reviewed {lol what review}) of Twisted Metal.

Also, for as much as Jaffe complains about things that irk him about the state of gaming (story driven games, boot-up time before playing, etc.) he sure is fucking guilty more than he should be for as much as he talks about it.

Link please.

BHK3

Banned
Popped in the game on the new slim ps3 with the new TV.

I still think this is the best game I've played in about two years.

Unicorn

All right. Time to give you one more chance TM. Please don't freeze on me. please.

please.

Edit:
No freeze, but holy shit is there no community. Was the best player on my team and even had a positive KDR for the match. I still got this. And FUCK this game is so delicious when it plays.

Rattles where are yooooooouuuuu

Helscream

Banned
http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/?podcast_id=315
He pops in around 1:16:30

He's silent for a while but eventually he starts venting.

I'll have to check this out. Just read this as well

http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/

My PS3 got the damn YLOD. Going to try and repair it with my heat gun. All I need to do is buy some thermal past. No idea if its going to work, but if it does I am going to hop on Twisted Metal when I get the chance. Hopefully sometime this week.

BHK3

Banned
So here's what WOULD of been DLC.

Chrazy8C.jpeg

Twister1-1024x563.jpg

orig_mr_slamm01_9236.jpg

And there was gonna be a new motorcycle called Palerider, another Helicopter and Yellowjacket.

And there are STILL plans for one final patch that will hopefully fix and tweak a bunch of stuff(we've been promised this patch since April).

Raptomex

I haven't played this in a while. So why the fuck aren't we getting DLC? Anything to do with Jaffe leaving? I've always played this series in Challenge mode offline. But even for the single player this time around, the AI needs work. I'm tired of the AI just gunning for you. It doesn't feel like a tournament if all the other contestants just drive around aimlessly and once you enter their radius they start coming after you.

Tokubetsu

I haven't played this in a while. So why the fuck aren't we getting DLC? Anything to do with Jaffe leaving? I've always played this series in Challenge mode offline. But even for the single player this time around, the AI needs work. I'm tired of the AI just gunning for you. It doesn't feel like a tournament if all the other contestants just drive around aimlessly and once you enter their radius they start coming after you.

Sony's not gonna pay for it.

How does such a great game not get love here?
Because...
Did they ever sort out the connection problems with this?

and because the demo was also riddled with connection problems, not to mention a fucking expiry date. My cousin whom I used to play TM2 with back in the day downloaded the TM demo upon release but didn't have time to play it during that first week. When he finally got around to it a few days later, he was greeted with the "this content is expired message". He couldn't believe it and decided to not pick it up - I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people felt the same way. I remember SCEA even stating that they would put the demo back up but never did. lol

Point is, that the game's launch was horribly mismanaged and as far as I know, the connection problems are still lingering, but there is a patch coming.. supposedly. Jaffe doesn't even know when it's coming (scroll up a few posts).

That is why the game never got the love it probably deserved. It's a great game when it works, though.

Dibbz

That is why the game never got the love it probably deserved. It's a great game when it works, though.

Yeah. I loved the demo when it worked and was hopeful when Jaffe said all the problems will be fixed for launch. Then launch came and the game was still buggy. Shame to hear they are still trying to fix it.

Might just wait for the patch then before I buy it.

KalBalboa

Banned
Yeah. I loved the demo when it worked and was hopeful when Jaffe said all the problems will be fixed for launch. Then launch came and the game was still buggy. Shame to hear they are still trying to fix it.

Might just wait for the patch then before I buy it.

There's a lot to enjoy offline, too. But yeah, it's strange just how iffy the connection issues and lobbies were. They've gotten a bit better since launch, but none of it is perfect.

Unicorn

Game is only $18 on GameFly.

Oh! there IS going to be another patch!? And here I thought Jaffe just let the game die in May.

What's supposed to be in the new patch? Twister...???

Unicorn

I guess patch 1.06 hit on 8/10

Had to update when I just got on tonight.

Here is what is in it, according to the TM Forums:

Here's a list of fixes:

- Further improvements to online connectivity/match making
- Bug where Roadboat's alt special was causing enemies to teleport
- Multiple weapons and health pick-ups were not syncing between users in different territories (US, EU, etc)
- Nuke. Fixed an issue where if the host was using Roadboat's alt special, causing a user to be unable to launch the missle and time extension never ending
- Nuke. Certain weapons appeared to be hitting the nuke missile, but not causing any damage
- Meat Wagon's alt special had no explosion animation
- Joining a party while selecting vehicles in co-op story mode was causing hard locks
- Reaper's RPG was causing a hard lock if it was being fired while another user was respawning
- Killosseum pedestrian pads were only visible to one user in online play
- Nuke. A faction leader could be missing for one team if a player attempted to sacrifice a faction leader right at the end of a previous inning round
- Trophies. "Fire in the Sky" unlocked incorrectly when missile **bleep** with a sniper rifle
- LA Skyline. Health semi was getting stuck on a platform near the "Double Life Insurance" sign
- Nuke. Faction leaders were appearing in different locations for each team in a single game

- Added Reaper and Preacher factions to Nuke game modes
- All 4 factions are now randomized for ranked games
- Improved swarmers. Launch higher, so they don't go into the dirt very often.
- Nuke. Ranked games can now played with 2 innings
- Improved Talon visibilty in the radar. Icon flashes
http://community.us.playstation.com...2/m-p/37833059/message-uid/37833059#U37833059

Also, why does everyone pick Roadboat nowadays? I left the Shadow bandwagon to greener, grassier fields... or so I thought.

had a game earlier with like 5 Roadboats in there, so next game I switch to Shadow, but by the time the countdown for the match-start ended, there were about 5 Shadows.

FML

Mikey Jr.

I never bought this game in the end. I wanted to. I really really did.

But the demo NEVER connected. I never joined a single online match. So they said they were going to extend the demo and get it fixed. Never got fixed.

That was my first warning sign. I decided to wait a day after release to see on gaf it got fixed. Apparently not. Then days turned into weeks, and there were still problems. Then I just kinda forgot about it.

Really too bad. You would think with Sony behind them, they would figure how how to connect people to games. Apparently not.

KalBalboa

Banned
I never bought this game in the end. I wanted to. I really really did.

But the demo NEVER connected. I never joined a single online match. So they said they were going to extend the demo and get it fixed. Never got fixed.

That was my first warning sign. I decided to wait a day after release to see on gaf it got fixed. Apparently not. Then days turned into weeks, and there were still problems. Then I just kinda forgot about it.

Really too bad. You would think with Sony behind them, they would figure how how to connect people to games. Apparently not.

The local cooperative was what got me on board, but I also found the actual combat to be great too. It's a shame so much was riding on the online multiplayer and how busted the connectivity was.

Unicorn

I see trophies listed in that fixes C&P but it doesn't go into much detail. Anyone know if progressive trophies are still screwed up?

I think they still are. Someone from Santa Monica (who I presume are in charge of TM updates now, lol) was asking people to give detailed descriptions of what trophies they were missing and what variables could have caused them (or something). So, I would say, give up on them. They are just fucking trophies for a game no one gives a shit about anyway.

My connectivity issues have remained constant throughout, from demo, to release, to the latest update. There's a lot of games I can join, and then, sometimes, for unknown reasons, I can't join a lot of other ones. Perhaps people's NAT's are fucked, or perhaps it's something else. A few updates in I started experiencing game freezes which forced me to reset the system, a problem I didn't have prior to that particular patch update or in the demo. It was repeatable in every instance that I tried playing with Rattles (God rest his TM soul).

Basically, I love playing this game, but for some horseshit reasons, I was prevented from enjoyment because of it.

Unicorn

YellowJacket.jpeg

Man it is so beautiful.

LLShC.gif

Yeah, I'm down for TM any night, save for this weekend, because I'm going camping. Disc is always in my PS3 lol

BHK3

Banned
Yeah I had that image up in my post but the guy moved the image around and I guess the link broke.

I'm happy to be one 1(of 2) guys who actually did end up getting Warthog. Since I got my new ps3 though my save file has been long gone and Warthog is attached to that, I will be damned if I ever have to play on twisted difficulty again.

Robso

Just wondering, can anybody list the online game modes please?

Also, what are people's thoughts on the single player?

Just curious as to if I should get this.

Robso

It's not like a beta would solve all the problem because it's been 6 months after launch and so far they have been unable to completely fix the game.

What sort of issues does the online still have?

Edit: Question to all, do you have to unlock characters and cars to use online in the single player?

Unicorn

Yeah I had that image up in my post but the guy moved the image around and I guess the link broke.

I'm happy to be one 1(of 2) guys who actually did end up getting Warthog. Since I got my new ps3 though my save file has been long gone and Warthog is attached to that, I will be damned if I ever have to play on twisted difficulty again.
Yeah, I didn't get to see the image before the link broke. Yellow Jacket is one of my favorites. heartbreaking knowing both him and Twister were potentially in...

I'm still afraid to attempt that shit. normal difficulty was horseshit enough.

Who gave up on this game first, Sony or Jaffe and his studio? Shockingly quick how fast this game died.
Sony seems like they didn't give a shit. Wanted to cash in for more than a DD title, yet failed to give it the support and infrastructure it needed prior to release. Jaffe certainly was not one to give up on the game. he was the only voice of clarity we had for the month or two prior and post launch.

Just wondering, can anybody list the online game modes please?

Also, what are people's thoughts on the single player?

Just curious as to if I should get this.

Online modes (off the top of my head):
Deathmatch - typical Kill the other guy more gametype
Team Deathmatch - + team helping

Last Man Standing - set amount of lives
Team Last Man Standing - set amount of lives pooled together with your team.

Nuke - more involved version of Capture the Flag

Hunted - One person is to be gunned down in order to earn points.

Singleplayer is like peering into Design Don'ts 101. AI that only guns for you, countless bullshit scenarios where you are either at a disadvantage, or the whole goal clashes with what the actual gameplay or a combination of the two.

Game does support LAN and Split screen.

Pretty sure you should be able to find it for around $20 and I would totally recommend it if you have someone to play with. I'm pretty much always up for playing a game or two. I'm incredibly rusty, but still love this game. haha

What sort of issues does the online still have?

Edit: Question to all, do you have to unlock characters and cars to use online in the single player?
For unknown reasons some people are unable to join other lobbies. Also, some (even I) have experienced freezing and lock-ups, but they seemed to be able to be isolated to certain factors (much like certain lobbies you can't join).

You do unlock vehicles as you progress through the singleplayer (and sidearms) but certain missions force you to use a certain vehicle. Ranked online starts you with 3 vehicles and you have to level up to earn unlock points to get the rest. I would say most are leaning towards creating unranked lobbies since it allows everyone to have access to all vehicles and sidearms regardless of level and also eliminated the necessity of having 6 people in the lobby before the host can start the game.

Game is only $18 on GameFly.

Game simply wasn't worth $60 when it was released. Featured a shortened single player and an online riddled with problems.

And did anybody have the experience I did? The demo worked pretty well with just the occasional game drop. But then I got the full release and I barely could get on at all. Awful. I kept the game though because I think it looks and sounds awesome and I'm a TM geek. But for me, it was one of the most disappointing game releases I can remember in recent years.

Top Bottom