• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokémon Anniversary: Back to Pokémon Red!

Crayolan

We ain't done with the PC just yet guys. Our only pokemon which can learn Cut are in the PC.

TBH, the remixed Gym Leaders and trainers are probably the most interesting thing about this run. The surprise that comes from them going with something familiar into something that generates snap reactions like "how the fuck is that OK" is fun and the reveals are amazing. Misty's Lapras was pretty awesome and Brock's Aerodactyl was flawless. :lol

The problem is the wild Pokemon. If they were jacked to near similar levels, it'd be good both for catching things that could be raised to be moderately competitive and grinding the current team so we don't get hopelessly assed out when everyone decides that they want to roleplay as the grandmother who doesn't know how computers work. In a certain sense, I'd also say the distribution could still be better but I'll reserve that judgement until I see TPP get the hell out of Vermillion. This segment is SO boring just because we can't see anything beyond here while everyone mourns the loss of that scrub ass Kakuna.

The level curve is handled extremely poorly. After fighting a gym leader with 2 pokemon who's highest level was 17, there are random-ass trainers on the next route with 3 pokemon all level 19. There seems to be a 3 level jump between each new route, which is garbage. That's not difficult, it's just fucking annoying and is going to result in a ton of unnecessary grinding. As if TPP doesn't grind enough.

Azure J

We ain't done with the PC just yet guys. Our only pokemon which can learn Cut are in the PC.

The level curve is handled extremely poorly. After fighting a gym leader with 2 pokemon who's highest level was 17, there are random-ass trainers on the next route with 3 pokemon all level 19. There seems to be a 3 level jump between each new route, which is garbage. That's not difficult, it's just fucking annoying and is going to result in a ton of unnecessary grinding. As if TPP doesn't grind enough.

I actually missed a lot of what happened post Brock up until Cerulean. All I remember was briefly catching when Charmeleon evolved. The levels really inflated that badly on the trip from Pewter to Cerulean?

Yeah. The level curve is stupidly high, and is my main issue with the revamped gym leaders. It makes progress way too slow, which drives out the people who would have cared and thus empowers trolls. It's frustrating as fuck when we have to challenge the FIRST gym 10 times before we can beat it. I'd have less problems with the remixed pokemon teams, and hell even the improved movesets if this wasn't the case

tcrunch

fe6t0SR.png

Gen 1 sprites are pretty fantastic.

Yeah, the person who made this romhack did not think how difficulty curves should be handled for TPP. Blaze Black 2 was challenging because trainers near the end were supplied with great/Smogon movesets. I wasn't around much for that run, but it treated the player fairly. This is just not built well for TPP nor any regular player.

I think the OP gym leaders are good. Because otherwise we just play through the game and THEN we have to go all the way back to every area and catch all the Pokemon. The problem with this run is that they don't understand the goal, they need to catch Pokemon and the gym leaders are there to slow us down from just plowing through the game. The real loss was Baba and Kakuna because we hadn't evolved them yet.

Toxi

Banned
Our entire original team is gone except Onix.

Wow.

This really is the worst Twitch Plays Pokemon run ever.

EDIT: We just released Weepinbell.

I think the OP gym leaders are good. Because otherwise we just play through the game and THEN we have to go all the way back to every area and catch all the Pokemon. The problem with this run is that they don't understand the goal, they need to catch Pokemon and the gym leaders are there to slow us down from just plowing through the game. The real loss was Baba and Kakuna because we hadn't evolved them yet.

This would be a more acceptable answer if the goal of catching them all wasn't already ludicrous as it is, even with the modded version of the game. Especially given that it would require a ton of pc runs, and dealing with Gen I's atrocious box system where you needed to manually change boxes if the current one was filled up before you could catch more pokemon. And that's not even considering legendaries. Even assuming they're available in the wild like any other pokemon, they're still ridiculously hard to catch, even with planning and a large number of ultra balls. We only caught Zapdos in the original because we miraculously managed to save the master ball and then had the added miracle of selecting it to use on Zapdos. And even if they're wild, they're probably still super rare, which means after the inevitable failed attempt we spend tons of time just trying to find them again (And even if we found them, we'd need to have pokeballs for it to even be a possibility). This brings me to the issue of limited money, because trainer rematches and other tools to get more money easily weren't available in Gen I. We already saw that most of the money earned is inevitably lost due to whiting out, and that with the amount of pokeballs we were actually able to buy we still couldn't catch much

cptodin

This run is a disaster. Now that most of the viewers abandoned the stream I'm wondering if we will actually make progress and can recover so that this will be an enjoyable run again.

Hopefully this run can get back on track now. The trolls were successful in there goal of getting rid of growlizard, but they wouldn't have been without the people who legitimately wanted to save kakuna as part of the lore.

On the brightside it is good to see the plans again. I was figuring that would be the one thing lacking from this run.

todd360

I wonder what happens when we inevitably get another flareon on the team. He won't be a false prophet this time since we are now followers of the dome.

Bumhat

Just started watching again and we have somehow managed to get a Parasect without anyone cancelling the evolution and Onix is now level 40. It might not be a game-changer but, after two days of wandering around a PokeCentre and releasing all of our decent PokeMon, it's still progress!

todd360

Why are the PC trolls still trying to ruin everything? Wouldn't it be smarter to wait until we have an amazing team and then try to start a bloody Sunday? For maximum lols?

I guess its hopeless to try to understand the mind of a troll.

Toxi

Banned
Parasect's apparently super OP in this hack. That's awesome.

(Too bad there are no decent STAB moves for it)

There is a rumor going around that Parasect has a BST of 530 as follows:
100 / 115 / 115 / 100 / 100
HP / ATK / DEF / SPD / SPE
That is higher stats than a Mew! If anyone catches the stat summary it might be worth a screencap for confirmation purposes.

Why? Apparently it is a modification of this hack:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=293142
Could have modified the insane levels. How insane do they get?
Sabrina has a level 70 Hypno. I think you can guess how high the Elite 4 is going to be...by the time this is over TTP 2016 will begin
There was a moment of reprise though
Celedon Giovanni is the only trainer not to be updated so he has a load of level 24 Pokemon

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I wonder what happens when we inevitably get another flareon on the team. He won't be a false prophet this time since we are now followers of the dome.

He wasn't a false prophet in the first place. Flareon is a solid PvE pokemon, even moreso in a gen 1 TPP context, and would have actually been our best, or second best, pokemon, in terms of movepool potential and stats

GaimeGuy

There is a rumor going around that Parasect has a BST of 530 as follows:
100 / 115 / 115 / 100 / 100
HP / ATK / DEF / SPD / SPE
That is higher stats than a Mew! If anyone catches the stat summary it might be worth a screencap for confirmation purposes.

Why? Apparently it is a modification of this hack:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=293142
Could have modified the insane levels. How insane do they get?
Sabrina has a level 70 Hypno. I think you can guess how high the Elite 4 is going to be...by the time this is over TTP 2016 will begin
There was a moment of reprise though
Celedon Giovanni is the only trainer not to be updated so he has a load of level 24 Pokemon

wait, the hack has modified base stat totals?

Can't believe I just witnessed Operation Payday be fulfilled, goosebumps. Hopefully we get some money out of it before it gets released or Pay Day gets replaced by something dumb. Also we'll need a Persian eventually.

Crayolan

This would be a more acceptable answer if the goal of catching them all wasn't already ludicrous as it is, even with the modded version of the game. Especially given that it would require a ton of pc runs, and dealing with Gen I's atrocious box system where you needed to manually change boxes if the current one was filled up before you could catch more pokemon. And that's not even considering legendaries. Even assuming they're available in the wild like any other pokemon, they're still ridiculously hard to catch, even with planning and a large number of ultra balls. We only caught Zapdos in the original because we miraculously managed to save the master ball and then had the added miracle of selecting it to use on Zapdos. And even if they're wild, they're probably still super rare, which means after the inevitable failed attempt we spend tons of time just trying to find them again (And even if we found them, we'd need to have pokeballs for it to even be a possibility). This brings me to the issue of limited money, because trainer rematches and other tools to get more money easily weren't available in Gen I. We already saw that most of the money earned is inevitably lost due to whiting out, and that with the amount of pokeballs we were actually able to buy we still couldn't catch much

There is a "Battle Tent" in Celadon, apparently. This can be used to farm infinite money.

Legendaries respawn after taking a certain number of steps and refreshing the map.

This run is a disaster. Now that most of the viewers abandoned the stream I'm wondering if we will actually make progress and can recover so that this will be an enjoyable run again.

Since the start of the PC nonsense the viewercount has stayed pretty consistent from the 4k range to the 5k range. If you're talking about the drop from 10k to 5k at the start, that's expected, the peak of every run except the original Red run has always happened at the very start of the run.

Same thing that happened in Platinum. People get mad, claim false prophet. Then they stop caring within a day.

wait, the hack has modified base stat totals?

Wasn't aware of this either, that's weird.

cptodin

When I joined this morning there were only 2k viewers and commands were really slow. Maybe it's just like that early in the morning. It definitely wasn't as chaotic as with 6k viewers spamming commands, though that is kind of the point of TPP. Sometimes it's just a little bit frustrating not being in full control ;)

Nevertehless this run took a turn for the better and is actually quite interesting now.

Is the general plan to beef up and then catch all the 'mons? Wouldn't that be problematic with scrub pokemon being one shotted before we get the chance to catch them?

Bumhat

Pretty impressed they've managed to catch a Meowth! In fact I'm pretty impressed they have a full (albeit slightly weird) team after all of yesterday's insanity. This is why I love TPP - even when a run seems hopeless, things have an odd habit of course-correcting themselves and ending up relatively ok.

GaimeGuy

Pretty impressed they've managed to catch a Meowth! In fact I'm pretty impressed they have a full (albeit slightly weird) team after all of yesterday's insanity. This is why I love TPP - even when a run seems hopeless, things have an odd habit of course-correcting themselves and ending up relatively ok.

They've actually caught 3!

(Meowth's catch rate is 33% at full health using a pokeball)

Bumhat

They've actually caught 3!

(Meowth's catch rate is 33% at full health using a pokeball)

Hah, no way! This hopefully gives them a slight safety buffer when they inevitably access the PC at some indeterminate point in the future and start releasing Pokemon again...

Crayolan

So someone has been making some short manga-styled TPP comics. Pretty cool. Source.

When I joined this morning there were only 2k viewers and commands were really slow. Maybe it's just like that early in the morning. It definitely wasn't as chaotic as with 6k viewers spamming commands, though that is kind of the point of TPP. Sometimes it's just a little bit frustrating not being in full control ;)

Nevertehless this run took a turn for the better and is actually quite interesting now.

Is the general plan to beef up and then catch all the 'mons? Wouldn't that be problematic with scrub pokemon being one shotted before we get the chance to catch them?

Overarching plan is to train up everyone so that we move on with the game. If we had a team of level 40s we'd be fine, but unfortunately we're only 1/6 of the way there. Short run plan seems to be to try and put something in the daycare? Yea that's never happening.

GaimeGuy

Hah, no way! This hopefully gives them a slight safety buffer when they inevitably access the PC at some indeterminate point in the future and start releasing Pokemon again...

I think you misunderstood - They released the first two along with an exeggute - afterwards, the chat decided "Screw this, let's just free up a spot/spots now so that we don't have to go to the PC after catching the pokemon we want - they'll just go straight into our party".

And that's why they deposited one of the digletts and were walking around with only 5 pokemon :)

Azure J

A Y Y L M A O @ finding a Dratini in the grass below Cerulean City/before the Day Care and trying to run from it twice only to get hit with "Can't Escape" then run successfully the third time instead of catching it.

Bumhat

I think you misunderstood - They released the first two along with an exeggute - afterwards, the chat decided "Screw this, let's just free up a spot/spots now so that we don't have to go to the PC after catching the pokemon we want - they'll just go straight into our party".

And that's why they deposited one of the digletts and were walking around with only 5 pokemon :)

Hah! Of course. In other news 1) they managed to select the bike (I find this hilarious for some reason) and 2) holy crap a Dratini just appeared - I'm assuming that's due to this specific hack?

Ferrio

Banned
Wow I check in on the stream, watching for 20 seconds and they somehow navigate down to item menu, through 4 items to throw a pokeball and catch a full life lvl 20 pigeotto. Chat going crazy.

Top Bottom