• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokémon Anniversary: Back to Pokémon Red!

Banzai

Yeah this is going nowhere. Do the people spamming b not get why we're at the pc or is it just trolls thinking they're being funny?

I'll check in again tomorrow. Hopefully something will have happened by then.

Bumhat

Thank god for the "that's too important to toss!" message, because they've just tried to throw away the Dome Fossil three times in a row. Incidentally I turned the Twitch stream on this morning at work - when I started watching they were farting around at the PC making no progress whatsoever. It's now over four hours later and they are... farting around at the PC making no progress whatsoever.

Got to love TPP!

EDIT: the amount of people spamming B whenever they get into Bill's PC is making this almost unbearable to watch. They've been trying to switch to Box 1 for literally hours and have managed to get as far as Box 2, but keep backing out of the menu. I have no doubt that when they finally succeed they will somehow manage to release all of their remaining Pokemon instead of withdrawing them...

Bumhat

LOL we lost all of our pokemons and now we stored every item...

This is going to end up bad.

The last four hours have been one gigantic game of back-and-forth whereby they have deposited every item, tried to toss every item, and then withdrawn every item.

Toxi

Banned
Should have done this annually or something. If the only run before this one was the original one last year, this one would be much more popular I think.
If people didn't kill our entire team trying to get a Kakuna, this run would be more exciting.

LeonSPBR

The last four hours have been one gigantic game of back-and-forth whereby they have deposited every item, tried to toss every item, and then withdrawn every item.

Yeah I'm noticing that... The PC was a nightmare in the first edition, but now It's amazing how we managed to get to this point...

BTW how many inputs do you guys think we will have when we beat the elite four??

I'll guess between 20~21 million inputs...

TheOGB

Banned
So how's the run go
Good morning everyone!

L7U63rU.gif

2SYHPbQ.png
...ing

We just need to get to box 1, spam withdraw, we get Kakuna, Onix and Poliswag back with maybe a Paras or a Diglet. We'll be fine then. Onix and Poliswag will carry the team, Kakuna will be the obligatory cute worthless mascot you need in every jrpg team.

Crayolan

Well I guess we're done with the PC for a while. Grinding time. Lots and lots and lots of grinding time.

I'm surprised the viewercount is still so high though. I expected Charizard's release to equate to an instant drop-off of 2000 or so. Or maybe it's like with Kenya where as soon as he was released the viewercount doubled for a short while.

Azure J

...holy fuck they released Charizard? Well time to bail on the ride thus far. Call me when they get out of Viridian.

StoneFox

Goddamit I knew this would happen. The second we accidentally deposited Kakuna and changed boxes I knew that Charizard would not survive the PC shuffle.

Bumhat

Goddamit I knew this would happen. The second we accidentally deposited Kakuna and changed boxes I knew that Charizard would not survive the PC shuffle.

I am honestly grateful they still have more than one Pokemon - they spent five hours at the PC with only a level 9 Mankey, and after finally accessing Bill's PC and switching to Box 1, they immediately released Poliwag and a Diglett. The fact they managed to keep and actually withdraw Onix, Venonant, and Weepinbell is, quite frankly, a miracle.

I have a feeling this'll be the run where we end up stuck on Cinnabar dirt poor with only one Pokemon that can't use either Swim or Fly.

StoneFox

I have a feeling this'll be the run where we end up stuck on Cinnabar dirt poor with only one Pokemon that can't use either Swim or Fly.
You can't release a pokemon if it's the only one that knows an HM. In theory we could have saved our Charizard if we had taught him Cut and was the only one we thought Cut to. Thankfully for now we have options for Cut to fight Surge eventually.

Bumhat

For anyone vaguely interested there is some serious shit going on with the PC right now...

EDIT: THEY JUST RELEASED KAKUNA!

EDIT 2: And now we're left with a party consisting of one Onix and three Digletts. I think this might literally be the worst TPP run so far, wow.

Azure J

Kakuna got released?

Good.jpg

I totally forgot that in this hack, there's a chance to meet everything ever. I sincerely hope there's some really fun/funky stuff later down the road. I saw that Gen 1 Arcanine sprite and got immediately nostalgic for Arcanine (best dogemon). Maybe they could grab one for the team.

For anyone vaguely interested there is some serious shit going on with the PC right now...

EDIT: THEY JUST RELEASED KAKUNA!

EDIT 2: And now we're left with a party consisting of one Onix and three Digletts. I think this might literally be the worst TPP run so far, wow.

This is karma and honestly the people playing right now deserved it.

But yeah, the reason the original TPP was great was that everything happened naturally as people tried to find ways to clear the game. Nothing was forced. And honestly, by purposefully acting in a way that makes it harder to clear the game for "drama", you're just cheapening the experience.

That said, I also think the streamer handled this run poorly. Catching 151 pokemon is a stupid win requirement, especially in gen 1 with their utterly shitty box systems. And I can't fathom why they felt the need to power up the gym leaders so much. It's hard enough to beat them normally when you have to work through twitch chat, no need to give them an extra 10 levels, better pokemon, AND better moves

Rapstah

You can't release a pokemon if it's the only one that knows an HM. In theory we could have saved our Charizard if we had taught him Cut and was the only one we thought Cut to. Thankfully for now we have options for Cut to fight Surge eventually.

I don't think gen 1 has any restrictions on when you can release Pokémon. Maybe this weird rom hack does.

Also, I feel like having less people in a run like this is actually a huge disadvantage, contrary to popular belief, because I think the number of trolls decreases less than the number of people actively trying to do well. With less people, each troll gains more power to influence the actions. Even if you only have a few hundred people, the issues with multiple inputs is still pretty much the same, but the ability of trolls to fuck with the run is much greater

A few hours ago they were planing on abusing Meowth AI by having it use Pay Day so we could get some money to actually do something (it would be about 40 a battle so take a long time...). That is to say I didn't know enemies using Pay Day gave you money? They did attempt to use the Great Ball here (as it might be slightly quicker having the player use it) but it broke :(

Andrefpvs

Never has a release been so deserved as Kakuna's was.

Also, considering the time that it happened, it's very likely that the same group of people who released it were the ones who started yesterday's idiotic trips to the PC to "SAVE KAKUNA BibleThump"

This Karma, why is it so tasty? >:)

Bumhat

But yeah, the reason the original TPP was great was that everything happened naturally as people tried to find ways to clear the game. Nothing was forced. And honestly, by purposefully acting in a way that makes it harder to clear the game for "drama", you're just cheapening the experience.

I'm inclined to agree - I've had the stream running in the background at both work and home for the best part of twelve hours and the players have spent most of the day shuffling around a PokeCentre, depositing and subsequently withdrawing all of their items, and then finally - inevitably - releasing the majority of their decent PokeMon. I understand why using the PC was required at first (the one remaining party member was a level 9 Mankey) but after somehow managing to withdraw a fairly decent team they should have just buggered off and tried to make progress.

But no, here we are literally hours later in the same area with an Onix and three underpowered Digletts. Woooooo!

EDIT: I'm playing devil's advocate here but I suppose there is a certain charm to the general insanity of TPP, manufactured or otherwise. Granted it'd be more fun to watch them play with a decent team (the current one is beyond awful) but it is at least interesting to see where the players go after losing valuable PokeMon and how they work with an underpowered group.

Azure J

That said, I also think the streamer handled this run poorly. Catching 151 pokemon is a stupid win requirement, especially in gen 1 with their utterly shitty box systems. And I can't fathom why they felt the need to power up the gym leaders so much. It's hard enough to beat them normally when you have to work through twitch chat, no need to give them an extra 10 levels, better pokemon, AND better moves

TBH, the remixed Gym Leaders and trainers are probably the most interesting thing about this run. The surprise that comes from them going with something familiar into something that generates snap reactions like "how the fuck is that OK" is fun and the reveals are amazing. Misty's Lapras was pretty awesome and Brock's Aerodactyl was flawless. :lol

The problem is the wild Pokemon. If they were jacked to near similar levels, it'd be good both for catching things that could be raised to be moderately competitive and grinding the current team so we don't get hopelessly assed out when everyone decides that they want to roleplay as the grandmother who doesn't know how computers work. In a certain sense, I'd also say the distribution could still be better but I'll reserve that judgement until I see TPP get the hell out of Vermillion. This segment is SO boring just because we can't see anything beyond here while everyone mourns the loss of that scrub ass Kakuna.

TBH, the remixed Gym Leaders and trainers are probably the most interesting thing about this run. The surprise that comes from them going with something familiar into something that generates snap reactions like "how the fuck is that OK" is fun and the reveals are amazing. Misty's Lapras was pretty awesome and Brock's Aerodactyl was flawless. :lol

The problem is the wild Pokemon. If they were jacked to near similar levels, it'd be good both for catching things that could be raised to be moderately competitive and grinding the current team so we don't get hopelessly assed out when everyone decides that they want to roleplay as the grandmother who doesn't know how computers work. In a certain sense, I'd also say the distribution could still be better but I'll reserve that judgement until I see TPP get the hell out of Vermillion. This segment is SO boring just because we can't see anything beyond here while everyone mourns the loss of that scrub ass Kakuna.
Yeah, that's also a pretty big issue, and I'd definitely have less issues with the remixed gym leaders if wild pokemon we adjusted to not make the situation so hopeless. My main concern with the remixed leaders is also how it will progress down the line. Like, if it keeps going as fast as it is, we'd probably end up with a level 80-100 champion which would be pretty impossible, considering we could only ever get by through having a few super overleveled pokemon that could handle most of the elite 4 and champion by themsselves

Bumhat

While I pretty much agree with everything you've just said, I am honestly happy to see them doing anything right now that isn't moving shit about with the PC!

Top Bottom