• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokémon Anniversary: Back to Pokémon Red!

Tuned it at a great time (during a break from VGC regionals)

ahaha they just won using a magikarp.
Charizard learned Flamethrower (replacing tackle, stil lots of growling in our future) and then burned Starmie with Ember. Starmie proceed to keep using harden against Magikarp having taken down Charizard and Kakuna.

PBalfredo

Misty status: Beaten.

That was a great battle. Charizard successfully learns Flamethrower after beating Lapras. Gets a clutch burn on Starmie before going down, allowing us to successfully stall with Kakuna and Magikarp of all pokemon. That was near Dragon Slayer level of Gen 1 AI abuse and clutch status ailments.

tcrunch

RNAgJ9S.gif

Kakuna survived for a long time too because of Harden, and Starmie used tackle or something instead of Water Gun on it.

Azure J

...this innuendo lmao

The couple trainers outside of Viridian City that are talking to each other before you speak to them for battles have a set of Pokemon that are hilarious. The guy leads with a lvl 28 Exeggutor while the gal leads with a Lvl 32 Lickitung.

Many jokes were had in stream chat.

PBalfredo

Trainer's pokemon are already up to the mid 30's. Nice 12-15 level gap between them and the wild pokemon. This version, man.

Anyways, we're on a catching spree. Paras, Poliwhirl and Fearow all caught with a single pokeball each.

Crayolan

Whoever made this hack clearly doesn't understand how level curves work. You can't just have random trainers jump up by 3 levels each route ffs. This run is going to be full of so much unnecessary grinding because of this.

RNAgJ9S.gif

Kakuna survived for a long time too because of Harden, and Starmie used tackle or something instead of Water Gun on it.

LMAO

PBalfredo

Whoever made this hack clearly doesn't understand how level curves work. You can't just have random trainers jump up by 3 levels each route ffs. This run is going to be full of so much unnecessary grinding because of this.

LMAO

Yeah it's pretty much impossible for any freshly caught pokemon to beat any given trainer. I don't think even Blaze Black 2 was this ridiculous. BB2, as I remember it, was more about giving opponents pokemon with smogon sets than jacking up the levels.

STOP USING THE PC YOU DUMBASSES

WE JUST DEPOSITED CHARIZARD
Not watching the video (I turned off as I couldn't stand SS Anne music though the players are out of there now) but looking at the live update:
3d 0h 13m We also just deposited Charizard, which caused us to faint and show back up at the pokemon center. Our party is healed, but at what cost? /
u/DrewLinky
Sounded like another golden moment.

Toxi

Banned
Not watching the video (I turned off as I couldn't stand SS Anne music though the players are out of there now) but looking at the live update:

Sounded like another golden moment.
Oh, I stand corrected: We just deposited Charizard again.

Get these idiots away from the PC before they release everyone.

EDIT: On the plus side, we caught a Venonat.

PBalfredo

What are they even playing around in the PC for? We have an Onix, we should use him to beat Serge. We have a Charizard, we should use him to fight Erika. We don't need anything else at the moment and doing the PC shuffle does us nothing but make a team of underleveled mon (mostly due to this version's shitty level scaling than anything else) that won't be able to beat basic trainers.

Toxi

Banned
What are they even playing around in the PC for? We have an Onix, we should use him to beat Serge. We have a Charizard, we should use him to fight Erika. We don't need anything else at the moment and doing the PC shuffle does us nothing but make a team of underleveled mon (mostly due to this version's shitty level scaling than anything else) that won't be able to beat basic trainers.
Shits and giggles I guess.

If we release Growlizard, it'll add a good week to our playthrough just grinding.

Also, we caught a Weepinbell. Seems to have a decent moveset (Sleep Powder, Wrap, Poison Powder).

Crayolan

Around half of the stream wants to actively get rid of Charizard. Every time we enter a Pokemon Center we spend like 20 minutes trying to escape the PC for no reason. I'm guessing the majority of these people want to just deposit it so we can grind and the rest are just trolls trying to release things to release things.

Toxi

Banned
Around half of the stream wants to actively get rid of Charizard. Every time we enter a Pokemon Center we spend like 20 minutes trying to escape the PC for no reason. I'm guessing the majority of these people want to just deposit it so we can grind and the rest are just trolls trying to release things to release things.
Anyone who actually thinks this is a good idea has probably not spent time on previous streams.

Don't tell me Charizard is in the PC? How do you put Magikarp in the PC after his epic victory over Misty?

We are just asking for trouble this run.

Don't tell me Charizard is in the PC? How do you put Magikarp in the PC after his epic victory over Misty?

We are just asking for trouble this run.
Its just gotten worse our party is now a Venonat, Weepinbell and three Diglett.

Also some Pokemon were released; T;OOGGGIHI , JAAAJJSRQQ, a Diglett and a Paras.

Crayolan

I'm pretty sure people aren't gonna leave till we either get or release charizard now lol.

Also the SS ticket keeps getting deposited.

Anyone who actually thinks this is a good idea has probably not spent time on previous streams.

We have 5k viewers, so yea obviously the majority of people have not been here since Emerald or earlier.

Crayolan

Holy fuck we actually came out better than we entered. Yea we released a bunch of digletts but who cares. I guess Poliswag would've been better than this Poliwhirl too considering it was one level from evolving but this is still pretty great.

PBalfredo

Holy fuck we actually came out better than we entered. Yea we released a bunch of digletts but who cares. I guess Poliswag would've been better than this Poliwhirl too considering it was one level from evolving but this is still pretty great.

I dunno. We boxed Onix before taking on Serge. I'm glad we got Charizard back though and I don't want to play around in the PC anymore, so let's see how this goes. Maybe we can muscle through with Flamethrower.

Also, I love that we still have Kakuna and Magikarp in the part after all the shuffling. Ha ha.

Azure J

The thing about this run so far is that based on what we have, we could make a pretty decent team.

Grab Onyx/Dugtrio (Ground for Surge)
Keep Charizard
Grab Weepinbell (Cover that
Get OG Poliwag (evolve to Poliwhirl)
Jynx (Ice type hits really damn hard in this gen with fighting and rock being kinda rare; it's also part Psychic which is the lord of all types in gen 1)
-whatever-

At the same time, this is TPP and half the fun is in the crazy

Andrefpvs

Whoa, sounds like I just missed some good stuff.

Can anyone please give me a quick summary of the last four or so hours? I stopped watching when we were catching a bunch of Diglett.

Thanks!

Crayolan

Whoa, sounds like I just missed some good stuff.

Can anyone please give me a quick summary of the last four or so hours? I stopped watching when we were catching a bunch of Diglett.

Thanks!

People wanted to deposit Charizard because he was stealing EXP
We deposit Charizard and Magikarp, get a Venonat and some other pokemon I forgot
We go to grind
After blacking out once, people are already tired of grinding and want to get Charizard back
We go to the PC, shuffle around the party, release a handful of digletts, a paras, a fearow, and a krabby I think. Plus we get Charizard back, but lose Onix and Poliswag
We withdrew a Poliwhirl, so we go back to Cerulean City to trade it for a Jynx.
People want to get Onix and Poliswag back.
"Guys we need to beat Misty"

Top Bottom