• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter suspends Rose McGowans account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowmelody

All this algorithm scapegoating.

It's like, you can't blame Twitter because the algorithms are always running, except when Nazi's victimize folks then you can't blame Twitter because the algorithms happen to miss it every single time. Then Twitter SILL gets the benefit of the doubt because the algorithms work in mysterious ways and that's that.

Sounds like another fucking sink hole of accountability and excuses that has victimized women for millennia.

Do we really think someone at twitter put a plan in place to limit her acces to her account for 12 hours in order to make this all blow over?

Really?

A dumb automated script causing the ban makes way more sense.
So if I tweet “Steve is starting his own business call him on his personal cell @ xxx-xxx-xxxx for more details!” I’m going to be banned?

Ratrat

Do we really think someone at twitter put a plan in place to limit her acces to her account for 12 hours in order to make this all blow over?

Really?

Probably.
Didnt a lot of people freak out when feminist frequency was suspended on youtube and it turned out to be nothing.

Otherwise this doesnt make sense.

as someone with direct experience with this kind of thing, I know it's not ideal to have to wait so long for a response but things with this level of scrutiny usually require multiple levels of revision and possibly even involvement with the legal team before giving an official reply. and this was outside of normal working hours if I'm not wrong.

Very true - and the '12 hour ban / delete it please' is something that is demonstrably normal process that the account was put through, you can find countless other examples.

But also of note - Twitter previously has said they don't comment on individual accounts. So this is some form of progress - but still not good at all for their perception. Especially when you'll find countless examples of them taking less action on worse things. But hey that's Twitter for you.

Surfinn

But if I'm understanding this correctly, she was suspended because she posted a private number, not because she posted too many times. Right?

Either way it looks weird and kinda sketchy

sflufan

Banned
And Twitter executives/shareholders probably wonder why no reputable buyer goes beyond "expressing interest" in doing so.

GreyWind

Really?

If that's the case how come other people who have done the same thing don't get banned?

KHarvey16

So if I tweet “Steve is starting his own business call him on his personal cell @ xxx-xxx-xxxx for more details!” I’m going to be banned?

Maybe? I’m not sure how it works. The alternative, a concerted effort to silence her by...limiting access for 12 hours(?), is pretty ridiculous.

Surfinn

Whose number was posted and in what context?

Seems like this is something that couldn't be handled by a bot. If what others are saying is true and you can just post random numbers, seems like someone would have to actually verify the number and the context and make a suspension that way

Scuffed

Maybe? I’m not sure how it works. The alternative, a concerted effort to silence her by...limiting access for 12 hours(?), is pretty ridiculous.

It's more of a chilling effect and it does work. Short bans will temper the person who was banned. It backfired here though.

How does it work? When was it implemented? We haven't even seen the tweet as far as I know.

If we take this at face value - my guess would be that she posted the tweet, someone reported it (probably to try and get the account taken down, the usual troll move). It then went in to Twitter's usual process, whoever slogs through thousands of reports got to it, they saw a phone number, hit it as a breach and it hit the usual action (request delete + timeout).

From previous stories about how social media moderation worked, it's not too unlikely that the person who did that was just going through their normal flow of checking reports and isn't in a position information or power wise to know that it might look bad on Twitter. The standard outsourcing-style moderation issues?

Raptomex

How would they know the difference? I’m saying Twitter does not automatically flag phone numbers and suspend accounts that post them. If someone posted a personal phone number and it got reported a bunch, then perhaps a real person stepped in and triggered the suspension. Or maybe it’s even automatic based on a tweet with a phone number getting a certain number of reports. But what I’m saying is it’s not automatic if you post a phone number at all.
What if it was a complaint?

Really?

It's not the first time this shit has happened, while vitrol filled twitter handles get away with more.

So yes, this is most likely the case.

KHarvey16

It's more of a chilling effect and it does work. Short bans will temper the person who was banned. It backfired here though.

Banning famous people from speaking on a huge platform has never ever worked and I can’t believe that someone tried and thought that would work is a more likely explanation than some poorly implemented automated script did something dumb. It doesn’t make sense.

Lowmelody

A warning that whatever you were saying will now be amplified to more people when we abuse our moderation policies? I certainly wouldn't consider that a chilling effect.

Victims will think twice about using Twitter as a platform to come out now. Everyone else just says "twitter being twitter, algorithms watcha gonna do?" and moves on but that does not remove the impact of banning a victim when abusers run rampant on the platform and the message that sends to other victims.

Kin5290

MSNBC reported this morning that it was an automatic suspension based on too many tweets in rapid succession. Could be corporate bullshit though.
Occam says shitty system over malicious bullshit, especially when the person in question is a high profile celebrity.

Slayven

It's not the first time this shit has happened, while vitrol filled twitter handles get away with more.

So yes, this is most likely the case.

Yeah, this shit doesn't happen in a vacuum. Hell we got evidence of twitter fuckery of just 2 weeks ago with Alex Jones. Twitter benefit of the doubt is way passed gone

KHarvey16

Victims will think twice about using Twitter as a platform to come out now. Everyone else just says "twitter being twitter, algorithms watcha gonna do?" and moves on but that does not remove the impact of banning a victim when abusers run rampant on the platform and the message that sends to other victims.

Oh c’mon. You honestly think twitter believes that silencing victims of sexual abuse is a good strategy going forward? That it’ll work and nothing bad will happen to them or their bottom line?

Lowmelody

Occam says shitty system over malicious bullshit, especially when the person in question is a high profile celebrity.

Twitter gave out two different excuses which makes them both bullshit. This is about protecting high profile male celebrities from women.

Lowmelody

They gave two reasons?

Too many tweets in succession and the phone number shit.

Oh c’mon. You honestly think twitter believes that silencing victims of sexual abuse is a good strategy going forward? That it’ll work and nothing bad will happen to them or their bottom line?

Why would you think that Twitter or any Silicone Valley firm gives a flying fuck about victims? They are still men with shit to hide and people to cover for.

Mivey

If it is algorithmic based, it's remarkable how they managed to code it so that it incorporates sexist attitudes. Impressive engineering.
I mean, Microsoft can't even write a Twitter bot that doesn't turn full nazi in a minute, so handling such precise minutia, without blocking people left and right for nothing, but still handling this case in proper scumbag fashion. Remarkable programming.

Mindwipe

Too many tweets in succession and the phone number shit.

Too many tweets in succession was speculation by others. Twitter have only said one thing, which is the phone number thing.

Yes. Multiple tweets in succession was the first reason. Now it's a phone number. Unless NBC just made up the first reason and didn't get it straight from Twitter but that is doubtful.

It's extremely likely it was speculation, or from someone at Twitter who wasn't involved and simply guessed when asked off the record.

Red

What theory are we going with? That twitter is acting maliciously, aligned with misogynists and Nazis, or that they are a clueless bunch of dolts with no social awareness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom