• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter suspends Rose McGowans account

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

Too many tweets in succession and the phone number shit.

Why would you think that Twitter or any Silicone Valley firm gives a flying fuck about victims? They are still men with shit to hide and people to cover for.

They care about making money. Banning famous people because they spoke out about sexual abuse would be a very, very poor strategy.

Mindwipe

If it is algorithmic based, it's remarkable how they managed to code it so that it incorporates sexist attitudes. Impressive engineering.
I mean, Microsoft can't even write a Twitter bot that doesn't turn full nazi in a minute, so handling such precise minutia, without blocking people left and right for nothing, but still handling this case in proper scumbag fashion. Remarkable programming.

When people were talking about algorithms above it was in the context of the "too many tweets/too many supported tweets."

But we know it's not now. It was almost certainly a legal threat from another female actress, who had her cell number posted.

Con_Smith

Banned
The tweeting in succession banning is bullshit. They did that to me when I argued with some nut about blm being a terrorist organization and all I had to do was link my phone number to my account and I was back.

Twitter is the only social space I actually care to visit but it's getting harder between their ridiculous actions and responses to those actions and dumb ass decisions.

seat

Twitter has always been a garbage heap. Have happily not used it since it's beginning.
Same here. I wish others would actually take a stand and stop using it altogether, but this country is loaded with idiots who don't want to change.

Mortemis

Banned
I fucking hate twitter, holy shit.

THIS is what's worth a suspension? Not death threats, rape threats, and all the shit that makes twitter insufferable? Fuck this so much.

Mindwipe

Same here. I wish others would actually take a stand and stop using it altogether, but this country is loaded with idiots who don't want to change.

Or people who don't read threads.

Twitter's moderation is generally terrible, but it appears they did the right thing here.

kmax

mi3hWbZ.png

https://twitter.com/eugenegu/status/918456084754440192

What else need to be said at this point.

A lot of these social media people seem like well intentioned idiots, so secure in their bubbles they can’t see how their platforms are use for abuse, or how they feed the abusers.
You are right on that. It just doesn’t add up in this case because I’m sure these nazi dudes are getting reported constantly yet nothing happens.

Surfinn

Couldn't they have just warned the account and removed the number, especially considering who it is?

Seems like this could have been handled a hell of a lot better

It's a bad look just straight up suspending the account, especially when the notification they gave her originally just said some vague "you broke the rules" shit

Red

You are right on that. It just doesn’t add up in this case because I’m sure these nazi dudes are getting reported constantly yet nothing happens.
It does add up. We see the calculus. Twitter has accepted hate speech and violent threats against the disempowered as regular, normal human behavior. They are safe in the bubble, rolling through the burning fields.

Couldn't they have just warned the account and removed the number, especially considering who it is?

in all likelihood, no. I know we're posting on a forum where posts can be edited and deleted at will by moderators, but most companies are prohibited from altering user content directly by their TOS. and that's a good thing.

usually the most the company can do is make the content not publicly available (but not delete it)

A few months ago my account was suspended because I posted the same comment to several senators and congressman criticizing them for voting to sell our personal information.

Fuck Twitter..fuck Facebook and most social media..I don't miss the platforms at all.

It does add up. We see the calculus. Twitter has accepted hate speech and violent threats against the disempowered as regular, normal human behavior. They are safe in the bubble, rolling through the burning fields.
Fair enough on that one.

MutFox

Banned
Saw the news trending this morning.
Was wondering what she could have posted to get suspended...
Seems there's no good reason.

WTF.

Alo0oy

Banned
Twitter is a joke, celebrities need to come together and just close their accounts, they're the only people keeping twitter relevant.

Mesoian

Looks like twitter is saying the reason she was suspended was because her tweet had a personal phone number in it.

But when Trump released Lindsey Graham's cell phone number, that was fine, because he had already done it earlier on another platform.

jackoffmotion.webm

kmax

Looks like twitter is saying the reason she was suspended was because her tweet had a personal phone number in it.

But when Trump released Lindsey Graham's cell phone number, that was fine, because he had already done it earlier on another platform.

jackoffmotion.webm

Trump could be tweeting out the nuclear codes, and they still wouldn't touch him.

Twitter is garbage.

NastyBook

Thought this deserved it’s own thread. Mods lock if otherwise.

Basically Twitter deemed McGowans tweeting about the whole Affleck/Weinstein stuff as offensive and suspended her account.

She posted about it over on her IG.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaImG1Mle7b/?taken-by=rosemcgowan

Might be time to delete Twitter.

Edit:

IG Post
It was time to delete Twitter LONG before this. This situation, however, may actually end up with something being done about the site.

Fergie

Banned
MSNBC reported this morning that it was an automatic suspension based on too many tweets in rapid succession. Could be corporate bullshit though.

Was this response before or after the backlash?

I wouldn't be surprised if some powerful people threw about their weight.

FB and Twitter have been very complicit in the alt-right rise.

dakilla13

Was this response before or after the backlash?

I wouldn't be surprised if some powerful people threw about their weight.

FB and Twitter have been very complicit in the alt-right rise.

Do people not read? It's because she posted someone's phone number, not because she was calling out sexual harassment.

The tweet was most likely auto flagged. Remember, there is no way for Twitter to have a human manually inspect every single tweet and make a judgment call on whether to suspend an account or not.

The hot takes in this thread are amazing.

Mindwipe

Do people not read? It's because she posted someone's phone number, not because she was calling out sexual harassment.

The tweet was most likely auto flagged. Remember, there is no way for Twitter to have a human manually inspect every single tweet and make a judgment call on whether to suspend an account or not.

The hot takes in this thread are amazing.

Bit less embarrassing than the Guardian publishing it's hot take three minutes after Twitter made a statement showing it to be wrong tbf.

dakilla13

Bit less embarrassing than the Guardian publishing it's hot take three minutes after Twitter made a statement showing it to be wrong tbf.

There are people in this thread that believe it was Warner Brothers that paid off Twitter to suspend McGowans account.

That's not how that works.

All the big social media sites have this weird laissez-faire approach to moderation where the worst actors keep getting the benefit of the doubt while the most vulnerable users always have to watch their tongue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom