• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tyrant - The Godfather set in the Middle East - Season 2 - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What dark side? Barry doesn't want Jamal winning because he has now learned first-hand he is a terrible and 'broken' person after what he made him do.

Taking another person's life, in order to achieve any goal, is a dark side move breh.

If Barry is to find himself ruling the country i don't see how he's going to suddenly be all iron-fist and ruthless.

I don't think so either.

Barry is agonizing over what Jamal had him do and in the end of the episode he pretty much regrets he agreed to do so, and he is now trying to find a way to make Jamal lose the election.

"Starts down the path to the dark side" ≠ "Barry is now a monster"

that isn't jamal

Taking another person's life, in order to achieve any goal, is a dark side move breh.

Agreed, but the show wimped out by going way overboard to make both of Barry's murders somewhat excusable. The recent one was necessary to prevent a total civil war and the one from when he was a child led to the rest of the man's family not dying in the Ma'an gas attack or whatever.

That's pretty lame if you ask me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Agreed, but the show wimped out by going way overboard to make both of Barry's murders somewhat excusable. The recent one was necessary to prevent a total civil war and the one from when he was a child led to the rest of the man's family not dying in the Ma'an gas attack or whatever.

That's pretty lame if you ask me.

Mmm, that's a good point.

ST2K

They're presumably trying to make his slide very gradual. Perhaps too gradual if this show ends up getting cancelled.

That said, with this show's writing, it probably deserves to get axed. Alas, the premise and Jamal keep pulling me back in.

Saty

"Starts down the path to the dark side" ≠ "Barry is now a monster"
Yes. But what path are you seeing or expecting him to go down in? If the end was any indication, Barry is so disgusted because of his action and seeing his brother's true colors that he will try to squash his election. So if killing Rasheed opens up future similar behavior, i fail to see how it's going to be manifested or escalate.

LQX

Hmmmm. So I take it the "good" brother will become the true Tyrant? I hope it goes that route.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They're presumably trying to make his slide very gradual. Perhaps too gradual if this show ends up getting cancelled.

Right. His slide has been pretty much imperceptible at this point, which, in the larger scope of things, isn't a huge problem because they're clearly in it for the long haul, where Barry's Michael Corleone-esque descent is played out over the course of 5+ seasons, but it isn't the least bit compelling in the short term.

Also, there's a chance that FX will decide not to renew the show (even though it's been doing okay in the ratings) which would mean we never get to see the story play out in a satisfactory way, so there's definitely a sense that things should be happening at a quicker pace on that front too.

Yes. But what path are you seeing or expecting him to go down in? If the end was any indication, Barry is so disgusted because of his action and seeing his brother's true colors that he will try to squash his election. So if killing Rasheed opens up future similar behavior, i fail to see how it's going to be manifested or escalate.

I expect him to eventually grow more comfortable with doing terrible things (he'll rationalize that it's for the greater good, he had no other choice, etc.). I'm assuming he'll run against Jamal in the election and win, thus becoming the new president/dictator. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, etc.

Vert boil

At this point I'm dead certain that Molly is FX's equivalent of the CW's Laurel Lance.

ss3f7k4d.gif

Totally agree, just like Laurel, Molly is the best character on the show.

So I guess I was on a similar wavelength with where things were going. Barry is trying to make things better, just didn't expect a coup to be the plan of action.

Molly is being unfairly hated on. Look at the current predicament and how Barry has misled them. There hasn't been any hint of shadiness from her. It would be out of character for her to take all of this in stride and be his Leila. It doesn't make sense based on how they've plotted it to this point.

jett

D-Member
I have to admit I've grown to liking this show a fair bit, problems and all. It's probably the current TV show on air I look forward to the most each week (it is a dismal mid-season or whatever though). Is there any chance at a second season?

Saty

Leave Molly alone. There's nothing in her behavior that is out of place or spiting. The coup angle is decent. If they aren't doing it in the next 2 eps, S2 could be centered around taking Tariq down, if the show gets renewed.

Writing team doesn't give shit about authenticity of the subject matter. They make Middle-eastern Arab people refer to football as 'soccer' like they are writing for USA citizen characters.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is there any chance at a second season?

The ratings are decent but the production has been a mess, it's expensive, and critics don't like it. Still, FX has two shows ending within the next few months (Sons of Anarchy and Justified) and The Bridge has totally collapsed this season, so there is a chance that it will come back.

The ratings are decent but the production has been a mess, it's expensive, and critics don't like it. Still, FX has two shows ending within the next few months (Sons of Anarchy and Justified) and The Bridge has totally collapsed this season, so there is a chance that it will come back.

It'll be interesting to see if it comes back or not. It's just watchable enough that I'd probably stick around for another season, especially if it airs in the summer again.

jett

D-Member
Season/Series finale next week, not sure which. :p

Bassam made some moves this week, and Jamal made his job easier. Honestly unsure how will shit go down next week, at the very least the betrayalton revelation scene should be entertaining.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's telling when even Cornballer forgets to post in a thread. :p

Bassam made some moves this week, and Jamal made his job easier. Honestly unsure how will shit go down next week, at the very least the betrayalton revelation scene should be entertaining.

I hope there's some sort of plot twist in the finale where Jamal gains the upper hand over Barry. Jamal has proven to be so incompetent that at this point there's no tension at all going into the final episode.

Molly is so fucking naive about Bassam and his family. Google!!!!!

Seriously.

Valhelm

contribute something
Last episode I saw was #3. Doesn't seem like there's much GAF interest in the show at this point. Has it gotten any better?

It has, in my opinion. The show deserves more appreciation, on Gaf and abroad. There are a lot of weaknesses, but most of the cast is strong, and the plot is really intriguing.

Saty

Molly is so fucking naive about Bassam and his family. Google!!!!!

Not sure what was naive about here in the last ep. She's dealing with the gravity of the situation and how it would paint a target on Barry's back but he's like waving it away 'you'll fly back to here in a week or two' as if it's going to be pleasant when Jamal's followers will raise an uproar.
Though i'm not sure i buy it that his family will need a safe-house in the US. It didn't strike that there are pro-Jamals with a reach to act outside Abudin.

The plan was going too well so something off-script had to happen. And it works in getting Barry again in the moral mud.

They could have devised an easier plan, maybe. If they have the recording of Jamal with Katerina, then they should have the struggling noise and cries of the murder. And we haven't seen what was done to the body, if Jamal just left it, then when the recording was originally recorded, they could and should have recovered the body.
Sell Jamal the idea so people got hold of the recording; easy choice - step down or have it released publicly and stand trial and that's about it right? Barry replaces him till the election, no need to go into elaborate lies and betrayals, no need to send off Jamal elsewhere, no rift inside the family, Jamal won't ever try to run for office.

Mr.Swag

Banned
It has, in my opinion. The show deserves more appreciation, on Gaf and abroad. There are a lot of weaknesses, but most of the cast is strong, and the plot is really intriguing.
Yea, also the presidents wife is probably the hottest woman on television.

Did this get renewed yet?

I like it enough.

Season finale tonight:
Gone Fishing

Barry receives troublesome news that threatens to destroy everything he's worked so hard for; Jamal's rising suspicions lead him to question the loyalty of those closest to him.

Dysun

They advertised next week as a season finale, but if its rating aren't good I'm gonna set myself up to believe its the series finale.

Also love how they completely dropped the sons gay storyline.

This show wasted alot of time on stuff that went nowhere. The son, the aunt, Jamal's son, the reporter, the reporters daughter

I'm sure there are others

Oh my.

So i'm still watching this show. But I thought it was going to be at least 12-13 episodes, not 9?! I was expecting this coup arc to last a few. Oh well.

Over/under on this getting renewed? In an article I read about The Strain getting a renewal they mentioned this was next since it was performing rather "bullish" ratings wise down the stretch.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Over/under on this getting renewed? In an article I read about The Strain getting a renewal they mentioned this was next since it was performing rather "bullish" ratings wise down the stretch.

The ratings are decent enough to warrant a renewal, but the production has been a mess, it's expensive, and the critical consensus has been mild at best, so it's not necessarily considered to be a lock for renewal.

The ratings are decent enough to warrant a renewal, but the production has been a mess, it's expensive, and the critical consensus has been mild at best, so it's not necessarily considered to be a lock for renewal.

How many episodes are left in the season?

I think this will get another season if only to tie up the story. I honestly don't believe it'll get a renewal beyond that.

Effnine

I'm interested to see how the season ends and what they do to set up a potential second season.

I'd love to see more political stuff than trying to force family drama in the show ... Not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but it really feels like they are setting up Barry to be the actual 'tyrant" ...

Edit: NVM, I see that it was mentioned at the top of this page ... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom