• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tyrant - The Godfather set in the Middle East - Season 2 - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Dammit. I thought Molly was finally going away and I was happy.

nope, she can continue to stick around and say more inane things and keep her family in an extremely dangerous situation!

I don't want to hate watch this show, but it feels like I'm about to. I'm intrigued by pieces of it, but annoyed by most of it.

This show is messed. So many things that really dont make sense. But I'll hold off on them for now and recap this week's Molly's lols

When Molly pulled Barry aside after he said he was going to stick around, I FULLY expected her to flip out and yell at him. Instead she does the complete opposite and encourages Barry to entangle himself in the machinations of an oppressive regime and not only that, she said something really stupid too as this endeavor would allow Barry to be closer to his family and connect with "these people". And then to top it off, the reason why she was upset in the first place is because she doesn't get to stay in the country known for public hangings and torture. She is truly a gem.

This show is messed. So many things that really dont make sense. But I'll hold off on them for now and recap this week's Molly's lols

When Molly pulled Barry aside after he said he was going to stick around, I FULLY expected her to flip out and yell at him. Instead she does the complete opposite and encourages Barry to entangle himself in the machinations of an oppressive regime and not only that, she said something really stupid too as this endeavor would allow Barry to be closer to his family and connect with "these people". And then to top it off, the reason why she was upset in the first place is because she doesn't get to stay in the country known for public hangings and torture. She is truly a gem.

Sans the public hangings, it's just like home.

I'm hoping there's some big twist down the road involving her, because as it is, she's just a one-dimensional prop character symbolizing Barry's attempt to escape his past.

Truly the supporting and loving partner in Barry's life. They deserve each other.

At least she's not Skylar White. She's got that going for her. /s

I'm hoping there's some big twist down the road involving her, because as it is, she's just a one-dimensional prop character symbolizing Barry's attempt to escape his past.

I think that would be too predictable. I'm sure there's something to her and why she wants to stay in the country, but I don't think there any ulterior motives or dark twists.

She probably sees this as an opportunity to enact change in the country and has mostly good and wholesome motives.

I think that would be too predictable. I'm sure there's something to her and why she wants to stay in the country, but I don't think there any ulterior motives or dark twists.

She probably sees this as an opportunity to enact change in the country and has mostly good and wholesome motives.

No, thats Barry and we will see just how destructive his thinking that is going to be.

hoos30

Just started watching the pilot. Why is the dictator dude speeching to his people in English? Doesn't make any sense right? The Russians in The Americans at least speak Russian. I'm not used to this from FX :/

Anne Winters looks pretty. The brother character seems like a class A douche already.

EDIT: yeees, that boy needed some slaps on the cheek
Think: Star Trek Universal Translator

hoos30

Not a bad ep, but Molly lol. Crushed my dreams when they said she was sticking around. Get rid of her and the show would be decent.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
One more episode is all I'm giving it. It it doesn't click by then, I'm dropping it.

The potential is there, but the writing is just plain mundane. A premise this big needs some actual talent at the helm.

Dull is the right word. It's just a by the numbers soap opera with a different setting and some extra rawness.

No, thats Barry and we will see just how destructive his thinking that is going to be.

Not sure I agree. I think Barry is a lot more like Jamal than we've seen so far. He hasn't gotten rid of that killer instinct he showed in the flashback, it's there, just underneath the surface, itching to re-emerge.

Or, you know.... an opportunity to live in a big palace. That'd be a good enough reason for me.

Heh, there's also that.

I'm hopeful that Molly will become a major player, but not in a 'OMG TWIST' kind of way.

Saty

I thought this was going to a big step-up for Finnigan's mainstream career. This isn't even Close to Home.

Why do I feel like I'm the only person that likes the show?
*shrugs*

I like it, though it should or can be better than what we've seen so far. I like the setting and the opportunities that it presents. With the third episode, at least to me, it's finding something to grab on to. Will Barry/Bassam, in trying to do the right thing for the country, end up being much worse for the country than his brother Jamal? It's noble to bring normal logic to the country, but at what cost?

Really the second season is where I start to judge a show. By then they figure out who's got what talents on the cast and can look back at what was good and what was terrible with the first season.

This show isn't great, but it's enterntaining....It's just kind of a letdown especially considering the quality I'm used to from FX shows.

If this was on AMC, I'd have no problem with it (Not that AMC makes bad shows, but aside from Mad Men and Breaking Bad...their other shows are just alright to me).

jett

D-Member
I started watching this show solely because of the intriguing concept, but it didn't live up to it. It doesn't have characters, it has caricatures, going through all sorts of clichés and incredulous bullshit.

But it's somehow still entertaining. Maybe it'll get better as it goes on.

- TV Guide: USA's Dig and FX's Tyrant Delay Production in Wake of Unrest in Israel
Two U.S. dramas shooting in Israel are exploring their contingency options given the region's current turmoil. FX's Tyrant, which is shooting in Tel Aviv, has temporarily relocated to Turkey, while USA's Dig, which shoots in Jerusalem, has been on a previously scheduled hiatus for the past week. That break will now continue for a few more days.
More via the link.

kehs

Banned
Thank you cornballer, I forgot a new episode was tonight.

I have a feeling this is going to turn into a breaking bad runaway in the next few episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom