• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S Congress finally gets something done: bipartisan Russia sanctions bill likely.

KSweeley

According to this, a bipartisan Russia sanctions bill is likely to be proposed within the next couple of weeks, passage could occur prior to the August recess: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation-world/ct-russia-sanctions-20170722-story.html

July 22, 2017

Congressional Republicans and Democrats announced Saturday they had reached an agreement on a sweeping Russia sanctions package to punish Moscow for meddling in the presidential election and its military aggression in Ukraine and Syria.

Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland, the No. 2 House Democrat, said lawmakers had settled lingering issues with the bill, which also includes stiff economic penalties against Iran and North Korea. The sanctions targeting Russia, however, have drawn the most attention due to President Donald Trump's persistent push for warmer relations with President Vladimir Putin and ongoing investigations into Russia's interference in the 2016 campaign.

Passage of the bill, which could occur before Congress breaks for the August recess, puts Capitol Hill on possible collision course with Trump. The White House had objected to a key section of the bill that would mandate a congressional review if Trump attempted to ease or end the sanctions against Moscow. But if Trump were to veto the bill, he risks sparking an outcry from Republicans and Democrats and having his decision overturned. The sanctions review was included in the bill because of wariness among lawmakers from both parties over Trump's affinity for Putin.

Eusis

He'd be an idiot not to. Congress would more than likely override his veto.
Which means he might be an idiot too sign it too, I guess it depends on whether he wants to look bad to Americans or Putin.

He'd probably prioritize Putin.

Taramoor

They haven't actually done it yet.

Still hard to believe this congress is less productive than the ones where the GOP literally filibustered everything.

Loxley

Either Trump is going to try to veto it and whine on Twitter when congress overrides him, or somehow his advisors will convince him not to bother vetoing it because congress will just override him.

I have a hunch which is more likely.

If they have more then 60 seats in the Senate (which they will) then they can override his veto).

2/3 vote in each chamber*

Which should be perfectly easy to get. Even if some conservatives were willing to defect out of deference to Trump, there's also the Iran and NK sanctions baiting them like red meat.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I said what you said doesn't matter.

Yes I'm well aware of how the US government works and what you said doesn't negate my point. Trump won't sign it and that won't stop Congress from trying to gather the votes to push it through.

I can see Trump saying he's not going to sign the thing because his administration has a different view of building a peaceful partnership with Russia. He believes this hurts the the U.S.' chance of getting a good deal (or somesuch bullshit).

Those crazy statements about setting up a "joint cyber security taskforce" with Russia have been too quickly forgotten. That was absolutely insanity.

Velcro Fly

I have a feeling he isn't going to do this the easy way and they are going to have to override his veto.

And being able to override the veto is just a check on the president's power.

Loxley

What's the point of having a veto if it can be overridden ?

It's one of those "checks and balances" that exists to keep the President from blatantly abusing his power. Congress very rarely overrides Presidential vetos. Partially because overriding a veto almost always requires bipartisan support, which is difficult to obtain when, normally, the President's own party supports his decision to veto.

It's why, for example, when Obama vetoed an attempt by the GOP to repeal Obamacare in 2015, they couldn't override his veto - because they would have needed support from Democrats to do it (which they obviously didn't have).

I realize that Trump is no political mastermind. Even still, I don't think even he would be dumb enough to veto this bill. It wouldn't stop the bill and would only serve to make him look worse on the ongoing Russia scandal

I realize that Trump is no political mastermind. Even still, I don't think even he would be dumb enough to veto this bill. It wouldn't stop the bill and would only serve to make him look worse on the ongoing Russia scandal
When has looking worse on the ongoing Russia scandal ever stopped him from doing or saying something that made him look worse?

Based on your post I am now confident that Trump will veto this bill.

Vena

Some Republicans are going to vote for this (or are voting for this) because they want to have washed hands of the ordeals around Trump and Russia, and have a point of defiance to point at come hard times.

Party before country until your neck is potentially on the line and your prospects of remaining seated may depend on your "opposition" of Trump.

Game Guru

What's the point of having a veto if it can be overridden ?

For one, overriding a veto requires a supermajority of 2/3rd in both the House and the Senate. So long as 290 out of 435 Representatives and 67 out of 100 Senators agree to new legislation, the President can't do shit about it. Normally, a president when seeing those sorts of numbers, let alone the 98-2 near unanimous vote as the Senate had achieved, will just let it pass since they understand they can't do shit. The only thing a veto does in this situation is to waste time and allow the President to show public disapproval of Congress's legislation.

For Trump to veto against a near unanimous decision to sanction Russia for their recent actions is pretty much making a public statement that he is a Russian toady, so of course, Trump will do it, Congress will override, and Trump will complain about it and Congress on Twitter.

commedieu

Banned
For one, overriding a veto requires a supermajority of 2/3rd in both the House and the Senate. So long as 290 out of 435 Representatives and 67 out of 100 Senators agree to new legislation, the President can't do shit about it. Normally, a president when seeing those sorts of numbers, let alone the 98-2 near unanimous vote as the Senate had achieved, will just let it pass since they understand they can't do shit. The only thing a veto does in this situation is to waste time and allow the President to show public disapproval of Congress's legislation.

For Trump to veto against a near unanimous decision to sanction Russia for their recent actions is pretty much making a public statement that he is a Russian toady, so of course, Trump will do it, Congress will override, and Trump will complain about it and Congress on Twitter.

I do not believe trump knows any of this, and he will be very very very upset that he didn't stop this with his veto. But I agree with the collusion.

Er

Conclusion.

UberTag

I realize that Trump is no political mastermind. Even still, I don't think even he would be dumb enough to veto this bill.
If you have to question whether Trump is dumb enough to do something... never give him the benefit of the doubt. He IS dumb enough.

Mimosa97

It's harder to override the veto, it takes two-thirds of both houses of Congress to do it. It's hard enough to get stuff passed normally, overriding a veto is pretty rare.

It's one of those "checks and balances" that exists to keep the President from blatantly abusing his power. Congress very rarely overrides Presidential vetos. Partially because overriding a veto almost always requires bipartisan support, which is difficult to obtain when, normally, the President's own party supports his decision to veto.

It's why, for example, when Obama vetoed an attempt by the GOP to repeal Obamacare in 2015, they couldn't override his veto - because they would have needed support from Democrats to do it (which they obviously didn't have).

It actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you :)

And yeah I hope Trump ends up vetoing the bill. I bet the idiot thinks he can convince most Republicans of changing their minds because he's such a great negotatior lol

Windam

Scaley member
Trump will use his absolute power to make sure this doesn't happen. What's that, a veto? Fake news, Dems are trying to obstruct - never did this to Obama!

KSweeley

I'm hoping if this lands on Trump's desk, he vetoes it and then Congress overrides his veto, we can then see his meltdown when he finds out what he does in opposing a bill can be overridden by Congress as part of the checks and balances system the U.S. is supposed to have.

Ithil

I would love for him to veto it, then have it overridden, so that we not only get to see the bill passed, but also have him show his true colours.

Of course then he will rant on twitter about how unfair having a veto override is to the president because he should be allowed to do anything he likes.

Top Bottom