• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S Congress finally gets something done: bipartisan Russia sanctions bill likely.

Shauni

I can see Trump saying he's not going to sign the thing because his administration has a different view of building a peaceful partnership with Russia. He believes this hurts the the U.S.' chance of getting a good deal (or somesuch bullshit).

Those crazy statements about setting up a "joint cyber security taskforce" with Russia have been too quickly forgotten. That was absolutely insanity.

Heh, why do you think this bill is finally looking to get through the House after they stalled it for about two months?

Looks like the white house is ok with the bill now.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ite-house-backs-russia-sanctions-legislation#

What changes had to be made to make them happy? Let's see what happens this week.

edit: or it could be the overwhelming majority vote by congress is affecting their public view on the matter
edit2: if you're in to conspiracies n stuff, maybe he's trying to look less friendly with Putin and will still try to find a way to undermine the sanctions going forward

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think there's a small chance Trump doesn't veto if this passes.

I think he could see it as another excuse to point to. "See, Russia has been punished, there's no reason to investigate further"

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ite-house-backs-russia-sanctions-legislation#

What changes had to be made to make them happy? Let's see what happens this week.

edit: or it could be the overwhelming majority vote by congress is affecting their public view on the matter
edit2: if you're in to conspiracies n stuff, maybe he's trying to look less friendly with Putin and will still try to find a way to undermine the sanctions going forward

Until i read a tweet about it i dont really believe anything their press is saying.

Patryn

Yeah, Trump ain't signing that. Republicans will act shocked/disturbed and move on. McCain syndrome.

That's a pocket veto, and as long as Congress is in session, it becomes a law. If they're not in session, then things get interesting, but they'll just repass the bill and send it back.

I think he could see it as another excuse to point to. "See, Russia has been punished, there's no reason to investigate further"

To be fair, many of the people Trump has appointed that deal with Russia are not friendly to the Kremlin at all.

Actually to me it looks like a miscommunication between Congress and the administration.

The White House pushed Congress to ease the limitations on its ability to lift the sanctions, but the legislation is likely to go to Trump’s desk this week without the changes.
Huckabee Sanders said the White House is happy with where the bill is now.
“The original piece of legislation was poorly written, but we were able to look at the House and Senate,” she said. “And the administration is happy with the ability to do that, to make the changes that were necessary and we support where the legislation is now.

It looks like the President pushed for changes (to make it easier for the President to lift sanctions by himself), but the Congress don't care, and are not making those changes in the final bill.

Steel

Banned

That would be what someone who has the smallest glimmer of intelligence would do. We will see if Trump exceeds that low bar.

Top Bottom