• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U2 LP13 |OT| 'Songs of Innocence' - FREE on iTunes now, official release October 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

Gotta say this is the deepest album they have had in over a decade. After 3 full times through it I like it more and more. So excited that we are getting even more new stuff soon!

Agree. It is a very strong album. I am part of a forum at atu2.com and like I mentioned there and others have, the album does not have a "Vertigo" or "Beautiful Day", but the entire album is more solid than many of the past efforts. If there is one thing that this band has been able to do that many have not is re-invent themselves and I see it happening yet again with this album.

I know it may be too early to say, but to me the biggest progression and re-inventing themselves was Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby and now to Songs of Innocence. As a whole, it is a fantastic album and really is sinking it's teeth into me big time.

Mask

Neat. Not really into U2, but liked the few songs I listened to.

Kinda annoying the songs show up in my library even though I haven't downloaded it though. Would rather not have them mixed in, and no option to remove them as far as I can see.

Hawk269

http://www.atu2.com/

U2 Tour Coming in Summer 2015, Paul McGuinness Tells Hot Press
Posted: September 10, 2014
By: Matt McGee

Paul McGuinness isn't U2's day-to-day manager anymore, but he still likely knows plenty about the band's overall plans. And those plans include a tour next summer, as he told Hot Press after U2's surprise release of Songs Of Innocence on Tuesday:

"I think you can expect a major tour starting next summer that will in every way be what people expect of U2 - groundbreaking, unique and world-beating."

McGuinness also talks about the way the new album was released and the arrangement between U2 and Apple. Check the Hot Press website for the full story.

Moozo

The first half of this record is excellent. Sleep Like A Baby and The Troubles the highlights of the back end, but the rest are a bit disappointing

Mononoke

Banned
The first half of this record is excellent. Sleep Like A Baby and The Troubles the highlights of the back end, but the rest are a bit disappointing

Yeah it really bums me out. I just don't like anything after Raised By Wolves. =/ It starts off so strong. Well I actually like The Troubles. Really it's Raised By Wolves, Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, and This Where You Can that I do not like at all.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah it really bums me out. I just don't like anything after Raised By Wolves. =/ It starts off so strong. Well I actually like The Troubles. Really it's Raised By Wolves, Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, and This Where You Can that I do not like at all.

Really? My favorite part of the record is everything past Volcano, not that anything that came before is bad.

Clegg

On the subject of U2, I'd like to say that Cedars of Lebanon is the most interesting song they've released since the 90's. I know it 5 years old now but I've only recently started listening to NLOTH. Cedars is by far the best track on that record.

U2NUMB

http://www.atu2.com/

U2 Tour Coming in Summer 2015, Paul McGuinness Tells Hot Press
Posted: September 10, 2014
By: Matt McGee

Paul McGuinness isn't U2's day-to-day manager anymore, but he still likely knows plenty about the band's overall plans. And those plans include a tour next summer, as he told Hot Press after U2's surprise release of Songs Of Innocence on Tuesday:

"I think you can expect a major tour starting next summer that will in every way be what people expect of U2 - groundbreaking, unique and world-beating."

McGuinness also talks about the way the new album was released and the arrangement between U2 and Apple. Check the Hot Press website for the full story.

I was talking with a friend of mine today and he said.. no way U2 gives this album away if Paul was still running the ship. I wonder if this new direction is being helped by a fresh voice in the camp.

jorgeton

Hmm. Maybe this album is a grower. Listened to it once and did not like it. Felt very safe and obvious. Nothing really grabbed me. But the price is right for sure.

linsivvi

I was talking with a friend of mine today and he said.. no way U2 gives this album away if Paul was still running the ship. I wonder if this new direction is being helped by a fresh voice in the camp.

They didn't really give it away though. Apple paid for it.

U2NUMB

They didn't really give it away though. Apple paid for it.

Alright I hear ya but same concept. I do not think Paul would have allowed it, he is old school. I have thought for a while he held them back. They spoke decades ago about selling concert recordings same day or day after and I believe Paul stopped that train. Also looking back.. Rock Band or Guitar Hero, the band seemed interested and I just always felt the old man manager never understood new media.

Just a theory of course but you have a point.

After a few listens I'm kind of leaning on the opinion of

The Miracle and Every Breaking Wave (Solid opening, not remarkable but okay)
California and Song for Someone (Decent or more have some parts I like and others I don't, hate the intro to California)
Iris (Strongest of the opening five)
Volcano, Raised by Wolves, Cedarwood Road (Great songs, nothing outstanding but the band sound confident and an immense improvement over Stand Up Comedy)
Sleep Like a Baby, This is Where You Can Reach Me Now, The Troubles (I wish the whole album was Danger Mouse stuff, these are all so good)

Overall I feel it kind of hits a middle of the road quality for U2, compared to No Line the highs are lower and the lows are a lot better.

A random attempt to rank the albums which will probably change if I try to do it again

The Unforgettable Fire
Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
War
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Boy
Zooropa
No Line
Songs of Innocence
Pop
October
Rattle and Hum
Atomic Bomb

RoKKeR

Really? My favorite part of the record is everything past Volcano, not that anything that came before is bad.

Currently this is my take as well. Iris and Raised by Wolves to the end are damn good, better than the first half. (which is great in it's own right)

On the subject of U2, I'd like to say that Cedars of Lebanon is the most interesting song they've released since the 90's. I know it 5 years old now but I've only recently started listening to NLOTH. Cedars is by far the best track on that record.

You're damn right it is! I think Sleep Like a Baby and The Troubles fit into a very similar theme.

This was such an amazing surprise. I've only had a chance for one listen so far but I'm very pleased with this. The song about Bono's mother especially is fantastic. Such a treat to finally have new U2 :)

As someone who's been fairly indifferent to them for the past 10 years or so, Every Breaking Wave is a fucking knockout. Any band worth its salt would kill for that chorus.

RoKKeR

Worked my way through Iris and Volcano on guitar today. I absolutely love Iris, one of my favorites on the record. And Volcano, while I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics, has a killer beat/bass line and the guitar riff in the bridge is just dirty. In the best way possible haha.

After day 2, I think it's better than I thought it was yesterday. Actually surprised at how much I am enjoying it. Perhaps their most consistent release since Pop, I really feel that there are no clunkers on the album and the bar on average is higher for each song I think.

GhaleonEB

The way the composition is simple yet richly nuanced reminds me of Running to Stand Still in some ways. And agreed, it's one of their standouts from the past decade.

Will listen to this album on the full release, as I don't do the iTunes thing, but I'm looking forward to it. New Leonard Cohen and U2 just a few week apart.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The way the composition is simple yet richly nuanced reminds me of Running to Stand Still in some ways. And agreed, it's one of their standouts from the past decade.

Will listen to this album on the full release, as I don't do the iTunes thing, but I'm looking forward to it. New Leonard Cohen and U2 just a few week apart.

It's probably better that way, still two songs to be released. I can't help but wonder whatever happened to the full version of Invisible though.

RoKKeR

Really interesting effect of this release: old U2 albums (on sale) are tearing up the iTunes charts right now.

On US at least:
Joshua Tree - 22
U218 Singles - 33
Achtung Baby - 37
U218 Deluxe - 38
Rattle and Hum - 46
War - 49
All That You Can't Leave Behind - 52
Unforgettable Fire - 55
Best of '80-'90 - 63
Boy - 67
Under a Blood Red Sky - 68
Atomic Bomb - 75
Live from Paris - 96

And just outside of the Top 100 is Zooropa at 105.

DAMN. And pretty much every country outside of the US has the same stats but trending even higher. This move is definitely paying dividends for the band... just to think that there are people out there who are listening to ANY of those albums for the first time because they got the latest one for free, liked it and want more is incredible.

Tokieda

There's a U2-Gaf? :O

I'm on my 7th listen and every song is growing on me. First listen I was somewhat disappointed by side A (except for Every Breaking Wave) but very impressed by side B (especially The Troubles).

Mostly though I'm just surprised about how there's no Beautiful Day-City Of Blinding Lights-Magnificent-Invisible type anthem in there. Sure, there are some huge choruses, but it feels much more low key than what I expected. Instead though I have a U2 album that grows on each listen, something that didn't happen with the last two (I loved both in the beginning, and though I still love parts of NLOTH, the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts).

It's way to early to rank it but it's starting to feel like a classic; The Troubles is one of the greatest U2 songs I've ever heard and even California is thoroughly enjoyable, if a bit shallow maybe.

I'm pretty impressed.

(And I'm having so much fun reading twitter comments from people complaining about free stuff - the U2 hate is so strong in some people)

kmag

I'm on my 7th listen and every song is growing on me. First listen I was somewhat disappointed by side A (except for Every Breaking Wave) but very impressed by side B (especially The Troubles).

Mostly though I'm just surprised about how there's no Beautiful Day-City Of Blinding Lights-Magnificent-Invisible type anthem in there. Sure, there are some huge choruses, but it feels much more low key than what I expected. Instead though I have a U2 album that grows on each listen, something that didn't happen with the last two (I loved both in the beginning, and though I still love parts of NLOTH, the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts).

It's way to early to rank it but it's starting to feel like a classic; The Troubles is one of the greatest U2 songs I've ever heard and even California is thoroughly enjoyable, if a bit shallow maybe.

I'm pretty impressed.

(And I'm having so much fun reading twitter comments from people complaining about free stuff - the U2 hate is so strong in some people)

Very surprised they didn't put Invisible on the LP, it would have been perfect as track 2 or 3. It fits thematically and the production is more like some of the later tracks on the album.

The Troubles is the best track they've done in a very long time, my only issue with it is that the fade out is too abrupt, although if this is essentially the first part of a double album that might fit.

Tokieda

Very surprised they didn't put Invisible on the LP, it would have been perfect as track 2 or 3. It fits thematically and the production is more like some of the later tracks on the album.

The Troubles is the best track they've done in a very long time, my only issue with it is that the fade out is too abrupt, although if this is essentially the first part of a double album that might fit.

I know right, Invisible would fit perfectly. I hope we get to see it released in some form down the road outside of the (RED) mix. It's such a great song.

I think the somewhat abrupt fade is due to Dangermouse's 'less is more' philosophy. I'd agree, although I don't think it's that big of an issue. There's an alternate mix on the physical release next month, I'm curious to hear that as well.

But yeah, roll on Songs of Experience. If this 'sister album' thing finally happens (as you probably know, NLOTH was supposed to get one as well) I'll be really really happy. Especially if it continues along the Dangermouse-lines of side B.

U2NUMB

I'm pretty impressed.

Very well put... I actually think Every Breaking Wave has a chance to be big on radio but overall every new listen through of this album I smile more and more.

Hawk269

Yeah, some folks over at another forum are inserting Invisible in the same spot or so and they say it fits nicely.

On the 11 songs that make up the album, I think it is pretty amazing. There are some songs that stick out to me a bit more than others like Iris, Every Breaking Wave, Sleep like a Baby, Song for Someone, but even the ones that don't are still very good. Been a U2 fan since 1980, been to every tour since Unforgettable Fire and pretty much love every album. It has been a while, perhaps since POP or so that I think every song is good to very good, which is a great thing at this point in U2's career.

I am also amazed that we have a U2 Gaf. I am still in shock. I know some of the users in this thread from the gaming Gaf, some dead giveaways like U2Numb etc. (lol). So glad that my favorite forum has a U2 section!

If anyone wants to do any meet ups for the Tour let me know. I am in California, but plan on making some trips to other states this time. Not sure if I will finish my U2 bucket list of seeing them at their home (Dublin), but I am going to try!!! :::)))

Hawk269

Dave Fanning reckons that there two follow-ups in the works!

Innocence, Experience, and Ascent?

Been hearing the same thing. In those 5 years, they have been stock piling songs or ideas for songs. Songs of Ascent was rumored going back a few years as a album title, but it looks like it will go Innocence, Experience and Ascent. There are other songs like Every Breaking Wave that was played a few times during the 360 Tour as well that could make an appearance.

I am really interested for the Physical release as it is supposed to contain additional songs currently not available on the digital release we have now. I think I read it was 3-4 additional songs in addition to some remixes and acoustic versions of some of the songs.

Mau ®

"The Troubles" really is mesmerizing, isn't it?

I really like the album. Yeah it's a safe album but it's really well done. Good hooks, fantastic production, The Edge killing it as per usual, etc etc. It's also succinct and goes to the point, unlike NLOTH. It's modern U2 at it's best IMO.

Looking forward to the next releases, I wonder how they're gonna approach them? Same release-style?

Tokieda

By the way RoKKeR, nice to see you here as well!
I'm God Part III on Interference :)

Are you on Interference Hawk? It'd be fun to meet up on the next tour, although I'm in Europe - I would love to catch them in the states next time around but it really comes down to my financials at the time...

trinest

Dave Fanning reckons that there two follow-ups in the works!

Innocence, Experience, and Ascent?

Two more?

Oh god.

*melts*

I wonder what their release style will be and if time frame for them. Wouldn't they surely want to get most of the stuff out by the grammys or whatever?

Bacon

I've enjoyed U2 in the past but only really their singles.

I like just about every song on this album. Really smart of them to put it out for free, I would have never listened to it if they hadn't.

I really like the middle songs that are more rock then pop. Volcano and the wolves song are fantastic!

Tokieda

I've enjoyed U2 in the past but only really their singles.

I like just about every song on this album. Really smart of them to put it out for free, I would have never listened to it if they hadn't.

I really like the middle songs that are more rock then pop. Volcano and the wolves song are fantastic!

I'm glad you like it!
You should start digging through their back catalogue I think. Give Achtung Baby a spin. It's one of the best albums of all time.

RoKKeR

If anyone wants to do any meet ups for the Tour let me know. I am in California, but plan on making some trips to other states this time. Not sure if I will finish my U2 bucket list of seeing them at their home (Dublin), but I am going to try!!! :::)))

Yes! My dad, brother, and a few of our other U2 family friends are wanting to see them in Dublin this time around as well. In addition to us traveling around the states here to see them of course. :)

By the way RoKKeR, nice to see you here as well!
I'm God Part III on Interference :)

Are you on Interference Hawk? It'd be fun to meet up on the next tour, although I'm in Europe - I would love to catch them in the states next time around but it really comes down to my financials at the time...

Oh nice! I was wondering if anybody from Interference posted over here, good deal.

Spun through the album today with a set of high quality headphones for the first time today and was really floored by the production. There are a lot of great layers but nothing ever sounds washed out or confused. Biggest gripe is them fading out The Troubles too early, but as others have mentioned that may be a product of it being a tie-in to Experience.

As for the Innocence, Experience, Ascent thing... it's not a bad idea and isn't too far fetched considering how long it's been since they released new material and have no doubt been stockpiling songs since.

Very interested to see how things play out in the next few years.

Sleep Like a Baby is the best song on the record, I think.
Until The Troubles comes on a song later to change my mind.

Alphahawk

Been hearing the same thing. In those 5 years, they have been stock piling songs or ideas for songs. Songs of Ascent was rumored going back a few years as a album title, but it looks like it will go Innocence, Experience and Ascent. There are other songs like Every Breaking Wave that was played a few times during the 360 Tour as well that could make an appearance.

I am really interested for the Physical release as it is supposed to contain additional songs currently not available on the digital release we have now. I think I read it was 3-4 additional songs in addition to some remixes and acoustic versions of some of the songs.

Songs of Ascent was the name of the abandoned U2 album they were working on before this. Innocence is not the same thing, they were two different projects.

Mononoke

Banned
Okay you guys were right. The second half is a lot more interesting musically. It's really grown on me. Also, I can see why some think the first half is generic/poor. I personally love it, because to me it's just solid pop music (it never gets as cringe as Elevation/Get On Your Boots). And I don't mind U2 making pop (even if generic). I really like the hooks. But yes they are super simplistic, and the lyrics are bad. So I can see where people are coming from. The back half has a lot more interesting instrumentation.

I really like this album overall though. Because I don't mind the first half, I kind of dig how the first half is kind of catchy/fluff and then it eases into more heady stuff. Definitely my favorite U2 record since Pop.

RoKKeR

So this has been fun to track since the release of the album...

llecbaa9vxnnauiyegyf.jpg

At one point I think they had 26 albums in the Top 100 or something like that? Not sure of the exact numbers.

And to the poster above me, lot of good points I agree with. The first half is solid enough, but they really turn it up from Iris -> End and it there are no drops in quality like we saw in the middle of NLoTH, end of ATYCLB, etc.

Hawk269

So this has been fun to track since the release of the album...

llecbaa9vxnnauiyegyf.jpg

At one point I think they had 26 albums in the Top 100 or something like that? Not sure of the exact numbers.

And to the poster above me, lot of good points I agree with. The first half is solid enough, but they really turn it up from Iris -> End and it there are no drops in quality like we saw in the middle of NLoTH, end of ATYCLB, etc.

Fully agree. The entire album is just solid from beginning to the end. I really don't have a favorite half as of yet. There are songs on each half that are very strong for me, but Song for Someone is my favorite as of today (this will change...lol). Volcano I always thought was good, but now after more and more listens, it has grown on me even more.

Yeah, the entire U2 catalog is lighting up the ITunes charts. From what I read, Universal Music will be giving retailers specials for older titles as well, so we probably will see the same at the retail level.

I really cant wait now till the official retail release that is suppose to have 4 completely new songs, then the acoustic versions etc.

daripad

I actually don't like Volcano so far :/ But Every Breaking Wave is a great song, it could be a splendid single. I also love Raised By Wolves, reminds me of their Boy/October/War stuff. I love the album so far, and it being free makes it even better, I can't wait for more stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom