• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms that Rainbow Six: Siege will NOT feature a single-player campaign

No problem with paying $60 for a mp-only game, as long as the content is meaty.
Honestly, they could loosely connect the maps with story using live-action video, and I'd be just has happy. Since OG Xbox, Rainbow Six to me has meant a laid-back tactical mp game.
But I understand people unhappy with no single player, who wanted a new sp tactical/strategy campaign like the original Rainbow Six.

The multiplayer is "good" to me, at least I'm having fun with the beta in the terrorist hunt mode (I'm totally not interested in playing PvP in Rainbow Six). But with no way to build your own character (vegas 2 had one of the best customization systems!) and not even use weapons attachments without choosing a stupid operator, I'm not seeing myself buying this game without a campaign mode. Maybe I pick it up later if a key for PC is 15€, but it's not worth the full price to me, especially since there are a lot of huge games out there in the upcoming months - Just compare the amount of content of Halo 5 and Rainbow Six Siege, what a joke

At the speed with which the game doles it out and the amount needed to buy some stuff, I can bet money that Renown points will be micro-transactions.

And that pisses me off more than the missing SP. The game is already content starved and then they have the nerve to lock stuff behind a grind/paywall.

TwIsTeD

Amazon dropped the PC digital price to $35 a few days ago and I'm glad I didn't bite.

They have a lot of tweaking if the game really is coming out in December but it's pretty bad that they just publicly stated no SP soo close to release.

How is this the same publisher that produces excellent Far Cry games

DeaviL

Banned
Multiplayer games can cost 60 when they have
-increased complexity
-a variety of game modes
-an increased map count

The game is less complex then previous entries,
i know nothing about the next two points. Fill me in if you feel like it.

The fact that we already know about a season pass works against that price as well.

Jawmuncher

Amazon dropped the PC digital price to $35 a few days ago and I'm glad I didn't bite.

They have a lot of tweaking if the game really is coming out in December but it's pretty bad that they just publicly stated no SP soo close to release.

How is this the same publisher that produces excellent Far Cry games

I'm really curious as to what the dev cycle was like, and why it was like 3 different games before becoming siege. Hell siege just feels like a case of "We Need SOMETHING out".

Alienous

They should have just been honest with themselves in making a $20 downloadable title from the beginning.

I don't understand why that price-point doesn't make sense to publishers. It's better than being dead on arrival. For a team-focused game making the buy-in easy seems like a no brainer.

Frog-fu

Banned
I've enjoyed the beta quite a bit thus far, but as an MP only game it lives or dies by the amount of content it ships with. If Ubisoft pulls season pass fuckery whilst shipping the game with just a handful of maps, then fuck it, no buy. Unfortunately I expect just that to be case.

oxidax

Eh i've been playing the closed beta since yesterday and imo its a very fun f2p game. I dont see myself paying $60 for it and now that I know its multiplayer only, I dont see myself buying this at all.

njr

What were the last games to release MP only at a full price of $60, Titanfall? Evolve? I wonder how they're doing now. Whether or not those games needed a SP campaign, RS:S is a game that could have benefited from it. I was thinking more along the lines of SWAT 4's single player.

Frog-fu

Banned
I know you are trying to spoof the guy but this is changing and it is getting harder to find FPS's with sp.
In the next couple of years we will have. Strafe, DOOM, serious sam 4, the new order 2, halo 5, super hot, rise of the tomb raider and the possible annoucment of a new metro game.

I don't know how removing a unnessacry part of a game that was never the marketing focus on siege means "single player shooters are dieing"

Kamina777

Banned
In the next couple of years we will have. Strafe, DOOM, serious sam 4, the new order 2, halo 5, super hot, rise of the tomb raider and the possible annoucment of a new metro game.

I don't know how removing a unnessacry part of a game that was never the marketing focus on siege means "single player shooters are dieing"
All my memories of rainbow six are single player, my Internet connection had been hit or miss growing up, rainbow six Vegas, especially the first one were tactical shooting nirvana to me.

Omega

Banned
What were the last games to release MP only at a full price of $60, Titanfall? Evolve? I wonder how they're doing now. Whether or not those games needed a SP campaign, RS:S is a game that could have benefited from it. I was thinking more along the lines of SWAT 4's single player.

They would have died anyway?

Seriously, an offline mode wouldn't keep people playing Titanfall, Shadowrun, Evolve, SOCOM Confrontation, etc. Those games didn't die because of a lack of single player, they died because people either didn't like the games or better games released.

_RT_

Disappointed.
While I have fun with the MP, the single player story line was always a lot of fun.
After playing the beta (and enjoying it for the most part), I'm just not sold on picking this one up.

foxdvd

I understand the argument that a MP only game can be worth 60. I also know that we have a lot of single player only games that should be less than 60. For me though I look at the total package.

My friends and I usually only play a little bit of competitive MP unless we get hooked. In most situations we only get a night or two of fun out of it.

Coop modes will also get a lot of play out of us. Horde type coop will get less play than more mission based coop like GRAW. Either way, this is a big part of our group.

The Single Player, even if it is 6-10 hours, is just one part that makes the 60 dollar purchase worth it for me.

Unless the game really stands out, removing one of these elements in most fps games lessens the value to me and my friends. When I spend 60 bucks on a game I am taking a risk that I am going to get value out of it. If that game takes out 1 or even 2 of the 3 things I look for in a purchase, I am not going to buy it until it drops in price, or word of mouth is amazing. There have been many purchases that I felt burnt on one or two elements, but sort of got my moneys worth because of the single player, or coop.

Rainbow Six was a game I was really looking forward to. I actually enjoyed the campaigns and the coop stuff on the 360 versions of Vegas. From what I have seen, Terrorist Hunt is not the same, and they removed the single player. I am not happy with this, and will not buy it.

I understand though why companies would love to remove single player campaigns. They probably cost more to make, with voice actors, scripting and programming than the mp parts. I am sure they have lots of marketing that shows that people don't play the sp, and that they could cut the budget in half and still sale 10 million copies. I am saying right now that their marketing is wrong. Rainbow Six will under perform. When the big shots look at all the data and try to figure out who to blame besides themselves (its mobile games, blah blah)....they will completely overlook the fact that they removed the campaign.

Demoskinos

I find it bizzare that people are arguing a multiplayer game with potential limitless playtime isn't worth $60 but tacking on a 8 hour campaign you would play through once would suddenly meet that value quota.

Whompa02

I find it bizzare that people are arguing a multiplayer game with potential limitless playtime isn't worth $60 but tacking on a 8 hour campaign you would play through once would suddenly meet that value quota.

Because 60 dollars represents a full package, which is what people are used to. There's cheaper games out there that are equally as competitive and are actually timeless. Much cheaper.

Why are you devaluing a single player campaign, when the Rainbow Six franchise actually had decent ones?

King_Moc

Banned

I find it bizarre that some consumers are vocally happy to receive less than they used to, for the same money.

Demoskinos

I find it bizarre that some consumers are vocally happy to receive less than they used to, for the same money.

Because 60 dollars represents a full package, which is what people are used to. There's cheaper games out there that are equally as competitive and are actually timeless. Much cheaper.

Why are you devaluing a single player campaign, when the Rainbow Six franchise actually had decent ones?

What they are giving to you is the "full package" of what the product they are offering. I really hate when people play the "what isn't here" game when judging product value rather than judging if what is there is worth $60.

You've got a game that again has as much replay value as you want it to have I don't see how that isn't worth $60.

Kade

So do some people's brains default to 100% planning on buying a game for sure without knowing anything about it and change based on pre-launch information? I feel like that's such a toxic and strange way to go about things because when things don't work out people always end up behaving like they are being scammed or suffering an injustice, almost as if there's an assumption that A) You HAVE to buy everything; and/or B) Everything is made for you until you decide it's not. Why not just stay neutral until the game comes out instead of building up expectations which eventually lead to the "pre-order cancelled, it's half a game now!" dramatics when things don't go as planned?

I mean, I understand if it's something that has historically had something that is being omitted in a new entry but either way, I don't think people should be so eager and willing to part with their money to the point of outrage at plans changing.

That is how single player terrorist hunt has always worked.
RS:Vegas 2 Terrorist Hunt allowed you to bring your squad. I think the first Vegas was lone wolf or co-op with other players, but no ally AI.

Correction: That you would play once.

TVexperto

So I got guaranteed beta access but I still didnt get a code after I entered my code on the Ubisoft Beta Website, am I the only one?

DOWN

Banned
$60 Would be fine if it weren't so ugly that I didn't believe it costs anywhere close to as much money to make as predecessors that had campaigns

AUS Karol

Banned
Would preferred Raven Shield-esque gameplay but this still looks interesting.

Will get it when its cheap like I did with Titanfall.

Pandemic

The fuck...

I was excited to purchase this after playing the BETA but with the single-player attached.

Wasn't the game shown at E3 and they said it'd be a single-player and multi-player game?

Top Bottom