• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms that Rainbow Six: Siege will NOT feature a single-player campaign

Femto.

Because Peter came out and said- the data shows nobody cares. You're a vocal minority I think.
I'm only calling it out because it's hilarious how inconsistent people are with which games can get away with no campaign and which ones shouldn't.

The inconsistency is what baffles me, and I should say I'm not too invested with FPS games. It's just something I've noticed.

I didn't know that.

I was just reading this the other when I was considering getting the game

http://blog.ubi.com/rainbow-six-siege-single-player-terrohunt-modes/

That was June 15th this year.
They even had Angela Bassett signed up.

r6s_screen_six_e3_150615_4pm_pt.jpg

This is the part that gets me. They show footage at E3 featuring Angela Bassett, which...unless it's just backstory and some incidental lore for the multiplayer, I thought for sure it would have some form of campaign.

3AM

Banned
Good. The single player in rainbow six is a waste of resources. They need to focus on making a kick ass mp game.

But did it ever have that feel from the shown gameplay? I feel this was always going to be a small team tactics game in a closed environment, with only MP involved.
We were only shown the few mp maps. And no... They didn't feel much like the Vegas games but those mp modes aren,t that bad.
For me the vegas games were about T-hunt and SP though.

I'm only calling it out because it's hilarious how inconsistent people are with which games can get away with no single and which ones shouldn't.

What do you mean 'get away with'? Do you have examples of a person who forgave Battlefront but not TF, Evolve, and/or Rainbow Six?

oti

Banned
You're smarter than this GAF. Why on earth did you even expect it to have a single player if they never showed or even talked about it? I thought it was pretty clear this was another Titenfall/Evolve kinda deal.

PrinceKee

As opposed to being a coaster with a terrible 5 hour campaign

because it is an at outrage that I am missing out on such great content

GTHO with that BS. We've gotten good single player campaigns from this series especially Vegas. Sick of this precedent of only including multiplayer because "supposedly" no one plays single player story, yet we get charged full price for half a game. This series has always had a single player so fans of R6 were looking forward to it...

This is the part that gets me. They show footage at E3 featuring Angela Bassett, which...unless it's just backstory and some incidental lore for the multiplayer, I thought for sure it would have some form of campaign.

This is what gets me too. They kind of led us to assume there would be a campaign in some form...

Femto.

What do you mean 'get away with'? Do you have examples of a person who forgave Battlefront but not TF, Evolve, and/or Rainbow Six?
Some state that previous DICE titles campaign's were lackluster and they're okay with the exclusion. Others state that battlefront was never known for the campaigns. They're just observations I've seen in threads about MP only games.

Predwolf

I love the gameplay through and through, but with only 20 operators at launch and no real self-customization, I was hoping for a fun co-op campaign like the Vegas games had.

I've bought every R6 game since the first PC release, along with the collector's edition that had all of the early games in a new bundle, simply because I had to have it. It pains me to say this, but I will probably skip Siege. $79.99 for the base game, and $119.99 for the game with a season pass, it's just not worth the money.

GTHO with that BS. We've gotten good single player campaigns from this series especially Vegas. Sick of this precedent of only including multiplayer because "supposedly" no one plays single player story, yet we get charged full price for half a game. This series has always had a single player so fans of R6 were looking forward to it...

This is what gets me too. They kind of led us to assume there would be a campaign in some form...
MP only isn't "half a game".

Why spend millions on a mode people will complete in 6 hours and then move on to the multiplayer. It's where the real money and time invested is. People always complain about tacked on multiplayer but tacked on single players are just as bad. Titanfall didn't lose a playerbase because of the lack of single player. It lozt it because the multiplayer didn't have enough unlocks/things to earn. Games have deep unlock pools for aa reason. It's the same reason loot games are so successful.
Buying a multiplayer only game is a risk. I mean sure, there's always the risk of the game being bad but you have ways around that. On the other hand everyone and their mother wants a piece of the Call of Duty pie, if the game doesn't click with people and the userbase goes back to whatever they already play you're left with a $60+DLCs door stopper.

Having some single player fluff aleviates that because at least you'll always have something to go back to. If publishers don't want to spend money on that because they know it's not worth it fine, but in that same vein either give something really meaty for 60 bucks or don't charge full price. Hell not even Activision is charging full price.

Warxard

Banned

"Full price for half a game."

Multiplayer only games can't be full price?

Single player only games must be half a game then, obviously they should sell those at $40.

Buying a multiplayer only game is a risk. I mean sure, there's always the risk of the game being bad but you have ways around that. On the other hand everyone and their mother wants a piece of the Activision pie, if the game doesn't click with people and the userbase goes back to whatever they already play you're left with a $60+DLCs door stopper.

Having some single player fluff aleviates that.

So, that's what Terrohunt is for.

Some state that previous DICE titles campaign's were lackluster and they're okay with the exclusion. Others state that battlefront was never known for the campaigns. They're just observations I've seen in threads about MP only games.

Yeah but I think it's different people making those observations about different games. Nothing hypocritical. I take issue with people being happy when a game is singleplayer only but up in arms when game is multiplayer only. There seems to be a dislike of multiplayer that is completely at odds with how the general population buys games.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They've already said maps will be free.
But they're not, they 60 quid because that's all that's on the disc, maps
If there's no Single Player or even Co op story then they are shipping a Disc with maps for us to entertain ourselves with for 60 quid
Instead of 60 quid worth of entertainment and some mp maps as an extra.

Warxard

Banned
So there's single player content, just not a story campaign?

I'm ok with that.

Yes. Terrorhunt has it's own ranking system apparently as well.

Will fail like Evolve. Titanfall did kinda well, but it's dead too, at least on PC.

And you don't think Evolve's failure had to do with it's mostly anti-consumer DLC/Season Pass bullshit?

Evolve had SOLO play/single player as well. It wasn't strictly a multiplayer-only title. Titanfall had NO options for Solo play, and yet it did better.

Where is this logic that you're going with? Because even games like Evolve can fail with your fabled 'single player content' as a selling point.

If there's no Single Player or even Co op story then they are shipping a Disc with maps for us to entertain ourselves with for 60 quid
I mean that's what the game is. Do not like this MP game for being multiplayer game?

Buying a multiplayer only game is a risk. I mean sure, there's always the risk of the game being bad but you have ways around that. On the other hand everyone and their mother wants a piece of the Call of Duty pie, if the game doesn't click with people and the userbase goes back to whatever they already play you're left with a $60+DLCs door stopper.

Having some single player fluff aleviates that because at least you'll always have something to go back to. If publishers don't want to spend money on that because they know it's not worth it fine, but in that same vein either give something really meaty for 60 bucks or don't charge full price. Hell not even Activision is charging full price.

Who goes back to a Battlefield single player though? The single player isn't what people usually go back for. It's one and done now lets play MP for 500 hours. And I'm fine with charging less for less but then I would also have to be fine with charging more for meatier games. A Skyrim would be worth more than a linear one and done game.

Kade

Will fail like Evolve. Titanfall did kinda well, but it's dead too, at least on PC.

I'd probably agree with you if Rainbow 6 Siege wasn't a highly anticipated entry in a long running franchise that hasn't had a product on the market since 2008.

Wouldn't play it anyway.

Do some of you guys suffer through those Battlefield campaigns out of principle or something?

Gotta get my $30 worth of content, man.

Femto.

Yeah but I think it's different people making those observations about different games. Nothing hypocritical. I take issue with people being happy when a game is singleplayer only but up in arms when game is multiplayer only. There seems to be a dislike of multiplayer that is completely at odds with how the general population buys games.
Likewise, worded my thoughts incorrectly as that is what I was trying to get at.

I have no problem with $60 MP games as long as it has longetivoty and variety of play with quality gameplay. Just because a game doesn't have SP does not make it half a game charged at full price.

Omega

Banned

I never said no one plays single player

Vegas was trash. OId school R6 is dead and it was never coming back so I'm not sure why people are all upset. Better to focus on one aspect and make sure it's the best it can be rather than splitting up resources to develop a mediocre SP and a mediocre SP.

but hey i guess it's a full game so even though it wouldn't be a game worth playing, it's still worth $60. because why would value be based off enjoyment?

3AM

Banned
Yeah. Like counter strike. And rocket league. League of legends. Dota.... You get the point. Mp only does not = fail.
However spending millions on making a sp that most of the fan base won't care about and most people will just crap on if it's not amazing is a fail.

Plus r6 is a pretty niche title and spending crazy amounts on a sp and not making enough back is a good way for the franchise to never make a good come back.

Warxard

Banned
Yep, it is truly sad that developers care more about MP because they can sell you microtransactions than making a overall package.
I stopped caring about Rainbow Six 10 years ago, so meh.

CoD, Halo, Battleborn, Battlefront, Metal Gear Solid 5 -- all BIG titles coming up that have both single player and multiplayer components.

What is an 'overall' package? Why can't a multiplayer-only (which R6S isn't) game be an 'overall package' in the same vein as a single player only game?

I loved the Vegas titles and was excited for the R6 game that got cancelled but Siege never really grabbed me. I've always been waiting for that single player footage. Now I can finally wipe Siege off my list.

We'll always have Vegas at least.

Grief.exe

It's an arbitrary comparison.

One person may derive more enjoyment from the multiplayer and not value the single player at all.
One person may value single player content more and not see value in the game as the result of a lack of single player content. Both are perfectly fine with their opinions

To make the point even more irrelevant, a studio is given a budget at the start of development. They can split that budget in half and devote their resources to both single player and multiplayer modes, or just focus all of their budget on multiplayer.

Personally, I would prefer if developers of these popular multiplayer games such as Call.of Duty, Battlefield, etc would devote all of their resources to multiplayer rather than put out a subpar single player. Obviously others would disagree, but ultimately it's up to focus groups and the publisher to determine how the budget is utilized.

At the end of the day, you are going to buy the product or not, but you can't form an argument for entertainment value based on subjective opinions.

Top Bottom