• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms that Rainbow Six: Siege will NOT feature a single-player campaign

LOLCats

Banned
Perfectly fine spending $60 on a 12hr single player campaign.

Loses mind about $60 MP only game with countless possible hours of fun

Never change, GAF.

... A lot of SP only players will wait for a price drop. Some people dont find running around the same maps, chasing other players, dieing, respawning and doing it over and over again Fun. Sorry...

_woLf

But there are cool coop missions with big set pieces, right? Right?

Or is this just versus and terrorist hunt...

blacklabel93

Neo Member
So single player games like fallout and skyrim can cost $60 but If a shooter wants to be multiplayer only it has to be priced "accordingly? Pretty hypocritical if you ask me

But there are cool coop missions with big set pieces, right? Right?

Or is this just versus and terrorist hunt...

I've not seen anything else mentioned so I'd guess that's all we're getting. The real shame is, if they were going to do it this way a digital release at £20~ might have been able to draw some in.

Codiox

Lol they do everything to let this bomb. First the beta and now no single player.

I think we will get another evolve over here.

EJStyleS

So what's Angela Bassett going to be doing, then? C&C-style intro cutscene? She seemed rather excited when wheeled out at E3...
Bit worried about their winter lineup...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can't believe the new Tomb Raider doesn't have a MP mode. It better be $30.
You realise how stupid that sounds right?
Mp is an extra, it was introduced as an extra and will always be extra mode to the full game.
Having no Single Player will benefit it and damage it.
It Benefits it because reviews will not be dragged down for being a shit game will a good mp and it will damage it for not having one.
And I say a shit game because they obviously cut it because it was shit.
Don't get me wrong the game maybe fantastic but it's not worth 60 quid for MP alone regardless of how good it is.

So what's Angela Bassett going to be doing, then? C&C-style introcutscene? She seemed rather excited when wheeled out at E3...
Bit worried about their winter lineup...
It'll be the intro to the game which will make no sense once you start the game.

Mp is an extra, it was introduced as an extra and will always be extra mode to the full game.
It Benefits it because reviews will not be dragged down for being a shit game will a good mp and it will damage it for not having one.
Don't get me wrong the game maybe fantastic but it's not worth 60 quid for MP alone regardless of how good it is.

It is an extra to you. To some people single player is an extra.

Percy

Banned
That's kinda bullshit :/

R6 used to have decent campaigns. Then again, that was before Ubisoft's output was mostly garbage, so this might be for the best.

Good luck getting people to pay full retail for it tho.

Warxard

Banned

What if the full game is multiplayer and designed for multiplayer?

Certinty

No thanks then. Would have picked it up when it went cheap just for the campaign. But without that I won't ever be picking this up, beta is boring to me.

Staf

Ugh, no purchase from me. Was going to buy it since i enjoyed the old Rainbow six games. But i was primarily interested in the SP.

I would have an issue if competitive mode were the only mode. But Terrorist Hunt definitely makes it a more attractive package for me. I think the main issue people have with multiplayer only games is that the fun you have completely is reliant on many unpredictable factors, the most unpredictable of which is other players. You could get grouped up with a shitty team, run into cheaters, get matched against clans constantly or run into people with laggy connections. Unless you meet a very specific criteria of having 4 other friends whose schedules line up with yours, you're probably gonna spend 50% of the time losing. And in a competitive game, someone has to lose and it's a common be pessimistic and think you will always lose. I think the value people put in competitive games is entirely reliant on their attitude toward competition. If you've got a "win some, lose some" mentality than you probably don't mind. If are only able to have fun when you win, then a competitive multiplayer game isn't gonna be attractive to you. People just don't like it when the "bang" you get for your buck is determined by who you get matched up against. It's why you get less of an uproar when it comes to co-op focused experiences. Monster Hunter is essentially an MP game whose "single player campaign" component is the same quests as the MP mode, except you are by yourself.

jesu

There's single-player but not a single-player campaign. What is widely recognized as a single-player campaign (a set of sequent levels connected by a story progression with story telling via cutscenes, extensive dialogue or other storytelling methods) will not be present in Siege. A campaign in the traditional sense was never announced.

What they did have is now replaced with tutorials...

Is this the case?

according to the OP.

We'll see if Angela Bassett is still in it.
But I'm beginning to think what was in the Ubi blog and what was in the OP is just different people explaining the same thing.
So maybe nothing has changed since then.

I have no issue with games focusing on MP and leaving out a single player campaign that wouldn't work for the game

The problem is that it feels like more often than not these MP only game have only scarcely more content than other titles which include both MP and a campaign, so it feels like poor value.

HF2014

Q3OjVSu.gif

Seriously, if there was one thing that was great in Rainbow Six it was the single player missions. Why do companies now suddenly have no interest in making them?

Are there plans to sell the usual premium map packs every few months after release?

Any chance of free post-launch map support?

I'm not picking this up regardless since I'm really into the series for campaign and co-op, but post-launch plans could help justify the launch price, or make it look worse, depending.

The problem is that it feels like more often than not these MP only game have only scarcely more content than other titles which include both MP and a campaign, so it feels like poor value.
In a nutshell, this right here. You also rely upon other players and server support to enjoy multiplayer modes, where single player modes tend not to depend upon those factors. So if the game bombs, how good an experience will it be for that community?

jesu

Are there plans to sell the usual premium map packs every few months after release?

Any chance of free post-launch map support?

I'm not picking this up regardless since I'm really into the series for campaign and co-op, but post-launch plans could help justify the launch price, depending.

All the maps are free at least.
There is a season pass but we don't know what that contains yet.
I would guess more operators.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I have no issue with games focusing on MP and leaving out a single player campaign that wouldn't work for the game

Poor value depends on the price, if it's full price then you're right.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It is an extra to you. To some people single player is an extra.
You are correct, but to the development team it is not, a lot more goes into the SP then MP and it's disappointing they've took this long and cut it.
I don't mind MP only games, but the one's I had in the past was £30 with a headset and £20 on there own.
MP is extra because it is exactly what it is, it use to listed as extra features
Just because people like to drive in and sit in the lobby for half hour instead of playing the Single Player doesn't change that or make it worth the price of full game with or without MP.
Can Universal Studio's charge £15 for an Extras Disc without the main feature just because some people like watching the extras?
You may not think it's the same but it is exactly the same, the difference is gamers accept it.
You might see it as worth 60 quid, but to me it's like just getting the bonus disc to movie

Gurish

I just can't buy a multi only game for 60$ sorry, and production values aren't really impressive so it really feels kind of too much asking a full price for this.

Yes, but I have different priorities, hence the "imo" at the and of my sentence that I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for a MP only game, that will probably also have microtransactions knowing Ubisoft. Why is that hypocrital ? Just my own preference.
Of course its your own opinion/preference. Doesn't stop it from being hypocritical. Mostly due to them being both games but you not buying one due to a arbitrary reason even if you had a equal amount of "fun" with both.

owasog

Good to know. So this is the next game I won't buy then after Titanfall, PvZ, Evolve and Battlefront. No SP = No Sale.

Too bad. I'm not very social online and solely enjoy the CODs and Halos for the superdumb action thrill rides that they can be, even if only for a handful of hours.

I'm sure I'm in the minority though, of course, but it's Titanfall for me all over again.

I knew this was going to happen, then people argued me otherwise when Ubi showed their E3 trailer with the actress, but deep down I always knew there wasn't going to be any SP, guess I'll be saving money then.

Ubisoft really fell from grace, Syndicate is a miss, Siege is a miss, and I am still not sold on The Division, I'm a single player guy, and The Division looks like another Destiny game, an MMO with little to no story, so probably another miss for me.

Yep. Im really getting worried about that new South Park game :/ I dont want to climb towers to help Mr Garrison

You are correct, but to the development team it is not.
I don't mind MP only games, but the one's I had in the past was £30 with a headset and £20 on there own.
MP is extra because it is exactly what it is, it use to listed as extra features
Just because people like to drive in and sit in the lobby for half hour instead of playing the Single Player doesn't change that or make it worth the price of full game with or without MP.
Can Universal Studio's charge £15 for an Extras Disc without the main feature just because some people like watching the extras?
You may not think it's the same but it is exactly the same, the difference is gamers accept it.
What are talking about?
I can't make heads or tails of what your saying.

Warxard

Banned
You are correct, but to the development team it is not.

Well. That's certainly a reach of an opinion to compare a multiplayer component to deleted scenes or documentaries in film DVDs...

But you do you.

Well, Evolve didn't do too well.

Battlefront is multiplayer only with coop available, but also has bots so you can play single player.

Man it's a good thing Rainbow Six Siege has a single player component in the game that lets you play co-op with friends...just like Battlefront.

... A lot of SP only players will wait for a price drop. Some people dont find running around the same maps, chasing other players, dieing, respawning and doing it over and over again Fun. Sorry...

Why would they come to a game like this that's been heavily advertised as a multiplayer-focused experience in the first place? It's not as if the series hasn't been heavily MP focused (yes I'm aware of the game's campaigns) before?????

poodaddy

I know some people are ok with this, but I despise this trend so much. It just seems like a way to carve money off the games budget, but they still sell the game at full retail value. I loved Titanfall, but I got it at 15 bucks, the price that an online only shooter is worth to me. I'd never pay much for what I consider an incomplete experience.

Top Bottom