• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms that Rainbow Six: Siege will NOT feature a single-player campaign

I remember 2-3 years ago when bad single player campaigns for battlefield 3,4 and medal of honor war fighter where so bad that no one wanted them in multiplayer games anymore. Now that we are starting to get rid of them everyone wants them back for some reason.

jesu

Evolve had well marketing. A bunch of my friends was really hyped before the game was released, and some of them ended up with only playing a few matches before selling it. I don`t think they will buy Evolve 2 if that ever happens.

Yeah the next one will need a proper campaign at least I reckon.

I was enjoying the beta but no single-player campaign is a tough pill to swallow. I enjoyed the old RS campaigns, I'll probably wait for it to go down before I buy it, since $80 (yay canada) for a multiplayer only game is too much for me right now.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
... A lot of SP only players will wait for a price drop. Some people dont find running around the same maps, chasing other players, dieing, respawning and doing it over and over again Fun. Sorry...

Then wait for a price drop for a MP game lol

3AM

Banned
Counter strike is $15. Rocket league is $20. The Rest of those games are free to play.

Maybe they should of pushed the game as a spin off or something.

Fair enough. But it doesnt mean MP only games for 60 bucks cant be successful. Battlefield is a good franchise to prove this. Yes, they have a kind of single player component now(didnt used to). But its just there to check a box. to give it some perceived "worth" or value. They are the bonus content to the meat of the game. The MP. sp in battlefield is a waste of resources. And as games cost more and more to develop youre going to see this happen more often with niche titles that have a pretty big risk on returns.
It would be nice if they priced it for less.. but i could say that for every game that comes out.

the time people put into mp has just as much value as time spent playing single player.. so a 60$ mp game is not a rip off in the same way that a sp only game is not a rip off. Its different content for different people.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I was enjoying the beta but no single-player campaign is a tough pill to swallow. I enjoyed the old RS campaigns, I'll probably wait for it to go down before I buy it, since $80 (yay canada) for a multiplayer only game is too much for me right now.

The game isn`t even like the old games at all. This is a Counter-Strike clone, while the old games was tactical.

Edit:

Mandatory video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdgfMdUSM6g

Newlove

This is not new information.. They never promoted a campaign. We've known for a while that it will be T hunt, normal PVP and a few missions which will literally be t hunt with little objectives like bomb diffusal or hostage rescues. Used to love R6 but no campaign and 10 maps for £50 = no buy.

ryuken-d

If MP only games were purchased only by people who play them for more than a week. 90% of them would die a quick death. I lean towards single player campaign's so I have a bias.

ITT: Knee jerk reactions against publishers because it's Ubisoft and Half of people not knowing what kind of games Rainbow Six games are like. I feel like most of it comes from only being familiar with the Vegas games.

I played the shit out of campaign co-op on the OG Xbox Rainbow games, they were great. I think everyone assumed the game would feature something similar (especially since Ubi said it had one).

I don't mind the lack of a single player if that means the mp experience will benefit (for example titanfall, absolutely didn't mind lack of single player) but the impressions so far for siege have been disappointing.

Fractal

Banned
This wasn't already confirmed ages ago?
I really hate this no SP trend.
When SP focused games are announced with a throwaway MP component, you often see complaints how it should be taken out, the resources used to further improve the SP, etc. Wouldn't it be fair to treat the MP focused games the same way?
After all, no one is taking SP gaming away from us... the backlog of your average GAF poster should be all the proof you need!

I didn't realize how many people cared about those painfully bad FPS campaigns.
Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2? The story resolution was woefully bad but the gameplay itself was polished and very replayable. Don't know what you're talking about.

I must have played through each campaign end to end half a dozen times.

Pretty hard sale for Ubisoft. Guess they will try to pull off a Titanfall and hope for the best.
Titanfall might have had a much better run if it had announced free DLC rather than the usual COD pack crap. And that's exactly what ended up happening, eventually.

Durden77

Didn't they have a big name actress come out at their conference at E3 and talk about her role in the campaign and everything?

I mean I was probably going to skip this one regardless, but what the hell.

I don't see the big deal. Rainbow Six was alwaya a predominantly online game. Reminds me of the people bitching about how BO3 on last gen not having a campaign devalues it by a fuckton when really you're looking at a 7 hour SP and hundreds of hours of online play.

Seems to be full price games with multiplayer only more and more these days. Have any of them had a community last more than 6 months yet?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Will wait until sale then. Played the beta and it doesn't feel great especially in Terrorist Hunt since the frame rate is limited to 30.

Aselith

ITT: Knee jerk reactions against publishers because it's Ubisoft and Half of people not knowing what kind of games Rainbow Six games are like. I feel like most of it comes from only being familiar with the Vegas games.

I don't really care about this but all of the previous Rainbow Six games had decent single-player campaigns.

Rainbow Six was alwaya a predominantly online game.
What makes you say this?

Are you assuming because that's how you played it that's how everybody played it?

Rainbow Six on the consoles had quality campaigns, co-op (terrorist hunt and drop-in, drop-out co-op campaign in RS:V2) and versus. It was the complete package.

I don't see the big deal. Rainbow Six was alwaya a predominantly online game. Reminds me of the people bitching about how BO3 on last gen not having a campaign devalues it by a fuckton when really you're looking at a 7 hour SP and hundreds of hours of online play.
Given the fact that both are being mentioned within 1 or 2 months before release is pretty shitty.

Since every impressions I've heard seems to indicate that this game is kinda mediocre, I'll be surprised if the multiplayer is active in Spring.

RedRum

Banned
I judge MP only games based on how long I'll play them as well as content. I'll definitely give this one a look. I heard the same gripe about Titanfall and thus far I've logged 560 hours in that. As long as I enjoy playing online, lack of SP will not be a problem.

Rainbow Six 3 being one of the top games on original Xbox live, it's majority of it's playerbase being on PC and Vegas 1 and 2 having really robust online components.
That they had robust online doesn't mean the campaigns weren't the main draw for people. Halo has very robust online too, but launching a new one without a campaign would be nuts.

Always assumed that Siege would be MP-only. I'm usually not the last one to blame Ubi when they make a mistake, but here I don't really see any good reason to get outraged.

Seriously this is like EA saying battlefield 5 will not have a campaign. Its all about the multiplayer

I *wish* Battlefield games didn't have a campaign.

impact

Banned
No shit, this game only exists to recoup the money Ubi lost on Rainbow Six: Patriots

No one will buy it and it'll be dead in January. Another Ubisoft flop.

Yeah the next one will need a proper campaign at least I reckon.

People keep saying that Evolve needs a campaign. But what would that even be? The core premise behind Evolve is inherently MP. Would a campaign be you vs a single monster the whole time? You vs the random other smaller animals. What would the level design be? The problems with Evolve was more than it being multiplayer only. Along with their DLC practices, the basic gameplay never felt right. The guns never felt fun to shoot and the tools never satisfying to use. Tracking the monster was boring and I'd loathe doing it by myself in a campaign.

Titanfall and Rainbow Six at least have good basic mechanics and the gameplay feels good. The nature of those games is also more conducive to a campaign than Evolve.

Gamezone

Gold Member

The big deal is that Rainbow Six have always been about single player, and they are using the Rainbow Six name as a title.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I thought the NeoGAF council of 2010 declared online only games without a single player campaign would be illegal to sell at the $60 price range.

Top Bottom