• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms that Rainbow Six: Siege will NOT feature a single-player campaign

Irrelevant to me. If i were to buy the game, it featuring a generic forgettable campaign would not be a factor in that decision. As long as the multiplayer isn't short on content, I see no issue with this.

It's funny to see the double standards regarding this, I remember people defending The Order 1886 for having no MP. In retrospect, I think the game would have been much better off if it had MP

Chobel

From the article:
“There is no story mode per se. You go through training, where you get to experience different operators and their devices. You can play against enemy AI in co-op through all the maps. You can customise matches, so that’s what we’re offering on the single-player side of things.

It’s a pretty good training ground, and on top or that you’re unlocking the same content as you would playing in PvP. You’re still gaining stars, reknown points, and new operatives”

How is that different than what Ubi said before?

Kade

You are correct, but to the development team it is not, a lot more goes into the SP then MP and it's disappointing they've took this long and cut it.
I don't mind MP only games, but the one's I had in the past was £30 with a headset and £20 on there own.
MP is extra because it is exactly what it is, it use to listed as extra features
Just because people like to drive in and sit in the lobby for half hour instead of playing the Single Player doesn't change that or make it worth the price of full game with or without MP.
Can Universal Studio's charge £15 for an Extras Disc without the main feature just because some people like watching the extras?
You may not think it's the same but it is exactly the same, the difference is gamers accept it.
You might see it as worth 60 quid, but to me it's like just getting the bonus disc to movie

You might see it as worth 60 quid, but to me it's like just getting the bonus disc to movie

but to me

You solved the riddle.

I know some people are ok with this, but I despise this trend so much. It just seems like a way to carve money off the games budget, but they still sell the game at full retail value. I loved Titanfall, but I got it at 15 bucks, the price that an online only shooter is worth to me. I'd never pay much for what I consider an incomplete experience.
Why is it a "incomplete experience"? Its just a game that focus on making a Multiplayer experience.

Warxard

Banned
I know some people are ok with this, but I despise this trend so much. It just seems like a way to carve money off the games budget, but they still sell the game at full retail value. I loved Titanfall, but I got it at 15 bucks, the price that an online only shooter is worth to me. I'd never pay much for what I consider an incomplete experience.

It's not even a trend.

How many multiplayer only games are there? Titanfall?

Chobel

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege will be released on December 1st, will ship with 11 maps

I missed this part, LOL! Only 11 maps at launch for $60 is gonna be a tough sell, Ubi.

Of course its your own opinion/preference. Doesn't stop it from being hypocritical. Mostly due to them being both games but you not buying one due to a arbitrary reason even if you had a equal amount of "fun" with both.

This logic makes no sense. If "arbitrary reasons" didn't exist then all games would sell the same amount. News flash, people value their money differently. If for example, someone wouldn't spend $60 on this year's madden because one already came out last year yet spends $60 on Call of Duty every year does not make them a hypocrite. It means that person holds more value in what Call of Duty offers more than Madden. Whether they prefer the genre or whatever.

The person you quoted even went out of their way to say it was their own preference and opinion and you come up with this? lol

I missed this part, LOL! Only 11 maps at launch for $60 is gonna be a tough sale, Ubi.

This is the shit I'm talking about. What's a standard map count for MP mode in a game that also has a campaign? 10? A MP only game for full price should have twice that, like 20 maps and 10 modes

Warxard

Banned
Well CS:GO is a pretty good example. Sells for $15.

And even then that has single player support in the form of bots and the weapno challenges.
Insurgency has it's own variation of terrorist hunt that can be played Solo as well.

This is the shit I'm talking about. What's a standard map count for MP mode in a game that also has a campaign? 10? A MP only game for full price should have twice that, like 20 maps and 10 modes

Halo 5 has 20 multiplayer maps for Arena, 6 for Warzone, A Single Player Campaign and Forge (hopefully).
CoD usually launches with about 12-15 maps at launch.
No one knows about Battlefront.

This logic makes no sense. If "arbitrary reasons" didn't exist then all games would sell the same amount. News flash, people value their money differently. If for example, someone wouldn't spend $60 on this year's madden because one already came out last year yet spends $60 on Call of Duty every year does not make them a hypocrite. It means that person holds more value in what Call of Duty offers more than Madden. Whether they prefer the genre or whatever.

The person you quoted even went out of their way to say it was their own preference and opinion and you come up with this? lol
Ok.
I said that if they value both the same but didn't buy the MP only one then they would be hypocritical. Maybe hypocritical is the wrong word how about "silly."

Gamezone

Gold Member
A Rainbow Six game without a single player mode, and a multiplayer mode that is a combination of Counter-Strike and Call of Duty. Why do they even use the Rainbow Six name? They can atleast add AI bots to the offline mode to make it more enjoyable. Jesus...

Ok.
I said that if they value both the same but didn't buy the MP only one then they would be hypocritical. Maybe hypocritical is the wrong word how about "silly."

That's something you added that the poster you responded to didn't say. You're arguing a point no one is making, and it is a pointless insertion because if anyone did value both MP & SP the same way they wouldn't even point out the fact that one holds more value than the other.

Gamezone

Gold Member
That's interesting. I had assumed from the previews that SP would have been a L4D style single-player, maybe with limited AI commands. That is to say that no one would be buying it for single player, but in the event someone did, they wouldn't immediately flip the table about it. One of the reasons I assumed this is because they spent time at conferences talking about the characters in the game--not that you can't have characters in MP-only games, but I just felt like there would be some sort of story focus and enough of an offline component. *shrugs*

You will be able to play Rainbow Six: Siege offline, but it will be simular to multiplayer against AI, and no AI squad to support you. In other words, you can play "lone wolf" one man army.

djkeem

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. Like counter strike. And rocket league. League of legends. Dota.... You get the point. Mp only does not = fail.
However spending millions on making a sp that most of the fan base won't care about and most people will just crap on if it's not amazing is a fail.

Plus r6 is a pretty niche title and spending crazy amounts on a sp and not making enough back is a good way for the franchise to never make a good come back.

Counter strike is $15. Rocket league is $20. The Rest of those games are free to play.

Maybe they should of pushed the game as a spin off or something.

Pachimari

I'm okay with this. Found the singleplayer in Rainbow Six 3 to be incredibly boring at the time. I'm only in it for the multiplayer.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Just make the game F2P. This $60 multiplayer thing keeps failing. Just look at Evolve. F2P is probably the only thing that will save Fable Legends as well.

LQX

Ugh, didn't they first show it as single player? This sort of disappointing. Also I wonder what went wrong with this series. It seemingly was on goo track with the Vegas games.

tuxfool

Banned
Perfectly fine spending $60 on a 12hr single player campaign.

Loses mind about $60 MP only game with countless possible hours of fun

Never change, GAF.

Well people value the the work that typically goes into making SP campaigns. People value content.

This is not to say that a game cannot have 60$ of MP content, this hasn't been the case so far and pure MP games that charge at this bracket haven't done well historically.

Green Yoshi

Just make the game F2P. This $60 multiplayer thing keeps failing. Just look at Evolve. F2P is probably the only thing that will save Fable Legends as well.

F2P destroys the game design in most cases. Ghost Recon: Phantoms is imbalanced and favors those choosing to pay.

Gamezone

Gold Member
No single-player campaign was actually confirmed a while ago. Skip to 09:03 in this interview. One of the developers are asked what they got in store for single player gamers, and the answer is beyond stupid.

And by "You VS the AI" he means no AI squad. It`s lone wolf.

http://www.gamereactor.no/grtv/?id=226494

cyress8

Banned
Pretty hard sale for Ubisoft. Guess they will try to pull off a Titanfall and hope for the best.

I usually play through the SP side to adjust my controls and to get a feel for the mechanics.

jesu

Evolve sold well.Then it died.

I'm still waiting on a beta invite for Fable Legends so I don't even know if it will succeed as F2P.
Hmph.

paolo11

I hope this trend does not follow. Titanfall, The Crew, Need for Speed. It seems online only games are rising up.

I want my single player offline mode.

Grady

I didn't realize how many people cared about those painfully bad FPS campaigns.

Painfully bad? Little dramatic arent we? Cod single-player are my favorite parts of the game. I know, shocking. Tbh the beta for siege was painfully boring.

Halo 5 has 20 multiplayer maps for Arena, 6 for Warzone, A Single Player Campaign and Forge (hopefully).
CoD usually launches with about 12-15 maps at launch.
No one knows about Battlefront.
Battlefront will launch with 12 maps and 6 multiplayer modes.

Does anyone know how many modes Siege will launch with?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Evolve sold well.Then it died.

I'm still waiting on a beta invite for Fable Legends so I don't even know if it will succeed as F2P.
Hmph.

Evolve had well marketing. A bunch of my friends was really hyped before the game was released, and some of them ended up with only playing a few matches before selling it. I don`t think they will buy Evolve 2 if that ever happens.

RedSwirl

This makes me less likely than ever to even try the game, but I understand it's still worth $60 to some people. Some people just have different priorities and tastes.

I don't subscribe to the belief that every game, or even every shooter, should have both SP and MP in order to feel "complete" at $60. I think that mentality comes from:

1) Mega shooters like GoldenEye, Halo, and Call of Duty over-delivering on content that all managed to feel polished enough and fun. I think games like that with such a wide breath of content that actually don't feel rushed are rare occurrences that happen when the designers just happen to have a bunch of great ideas they can fit onto one disc. Publishers started trying to make every game live up to the content standard of GoldenEye, Halo, or COD, but not all of them can. It's why you get so many games where certain parts feel less necessary. We complain about games with tacked-on multiplayer all the time. I say let a game focus on what the developers originally wanted to do.

2) I think it also comes from console gamers not being used to multiplayer-only games (outside of fighting games) or games that basically only work with an internet connection. That's kind of always been a norm on PC. It's just one more aspect of how console gaming is becoming more like PC.

Top Bottom