• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms that Rainbow Six: Siege will NOT feature a single-player campaign

W.S.

Nothing surprising here, the Angela Basset cinematic notwithstanding I didn't get any sort of vibe that it would get a campaign.

If we're getting the lay of the land for the next couple of months, there are only so many multiplayer shooters a gamer can invest their time into so I'd be surprised if this did well at all considering all the competition.

Halo and CoD at least have both campaign and Multiplayer so I see those being the bigger shooter winners with Battlefront right next to them.

LoveCake

I have played the Test & also the BETA (when i can actually get a game) & the game is ok, but i want Rainbow Six: Patriots not Rainbow Six: Siege.

I have played & loved all the Rainbow Six games but this isn't a Rainbow Six game to me.

I never intended to buy Rainbow Six: Siege & after playing the BETA there is nothing at all to make me change my mind, even if there were a single player campaign in Siege i think it would be pretty short anyway as the focus has always been multi-player.

Warxard

Banned
But they're not, they 60 quid because that's all that's on the disc, maps
If there's no Single Player or even Co op story then they are shipping a Disc with maps for us to entertain ourselves with for 60 quid
Instead of 60 quid worth of entertainment and some mp maps as an extra.

Why can't MP be entertainment too? Why is MP the 'extra' in a series with prolific MP success as Rainbow Six????????

jesu

You're smarter than this GAF. Why on earth did you even expect it to have a single player if they never showed or even talked about it? I thought it was pretty clear this was another Titenfall/Evolve kinda deal.

Well they did talk about it, that's the thing.

Rocketz

Hey look another knee jerk reaction.

The game doesn't have a campaign which we've know all along. It does have single player.

HiiiLife

I will say this...

At least put some resources into making Terrorist Hunt 60 fps lol.

Don't know if they're aiming for that in the final build, but jeez it sucks going from 60fps to 30.

At the end of the day, you are going to buy the product or not, but you can't form an argument based on subjective values.
Agreed.
To me MP is really just a bonus in games. Splatoon is the first MP-focused game I played in a long time, and it even has SP.

The reason is mostly because people like me don't have the time to put in and "get good" because of life.

Omega

Banned
It's an arbitrary comparison.

One person may derive more enjoyment from the multiplayer and not value the single player at all.
One person may value single player content more and not see value in the game as the result of a lack of single player content. Both are perfectly fine with their opinions

To make the point even more irrelevant, a studio is given a budget at the start of development. They can split that budget in half and devote their resources to both single player and multiplayer modes, or just focus all of their budget on multiplayer.

Personally, I would prefer if developers for these popular multiplayer games such as Call.of Duty, Battlefield, etc would devote all of their resources to multiplayer rather than put out a subpar single player. Obviously others would disagreed but ultimately it's up to focus groups to determine where the budget goes.

At the end of the day, you are going to buy the product or not, but you can't form an argument based on subjective values.
people on GAF don't get this. I'm positive that 90% of this forum thinks games are made by typing shit in notepad.

Either that or devs should work for free while also working 90 hours a week because stop being lazy and make sure we have the best SP and MP experience possible (just so that we can buy the hot new title next month and forget about your game)

LjbN6ZQ.gif

Can't make this stuff up lol.

Yeah. Like counter strike. And rocket league. League of legends. Dota.... You get the point. Mp only does not = fail.
However spending millions on making a sp that most of the fan base won't care about and most people will just crap on if it's not amazing is a fail.

Plus r6 is a pretty niche title and spending crazy amounts on a sp and not making enough back is a good way for the franchise to never make a good come back.

Those are either f2p or cost less than 20 bucks, good comparison.

jelly

Well, if there was single player and they cut it then you could say the multiplayer part can't possibly cost the full $60 but the investment from Ubisoft requires that $60 if it's in or not.

I don't mind a lack of single-player in Multiplayer focused titles if they truly put 110% into the Multiplayer, hell, Battlefront is an excellent example since from everything I've played so far (and from being one of the biggest Star Wars fans around), it's my most anticipated game this year.

This, however, has poor visuals, clunky, uneven, unpolished gameplay, a small amount of content, awful matchmaking, no dedicated servers, no server browser on PC, different framerate targets based on modes on console, poor AI, and only 11 tiny maps on launch.

It's fun with friends, sure, but so was Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I'll wait for a $25 price drop. Besides, with Battlefront, Halo 5, and CoD, I'll have thousands of hours of multiplayer fun at my disposal.

Warxard

Banned
Agreed.
To me MP is really just a bonus in games. Splatoon is the first MP-focused game I played in a long time, and it even has SP.

The reason is mostly because people like me don't have the time to put in and "get good" because of life.

but...R6 has single player?????????? Just not a campaign?????

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
people on GAF don't get this. I'm positive that 90% of this forum thinks games are made by typing shit in notepad.

See this is the problem, people think its notepad, but we have already upgraded to wordpad. Shows how much the internet knows. GET WITH THE TIMES PEOPLE.

jelly

I will say this...

At least put some resources into making Terrorist Hunt 60 fps lol.

Don't know if they're aiming for that in the final build, but jeez it sucks going from 60fps to 30.

It's not 60fps. Wow, not really going for it Ubisoft.

jesu

Because it doesn't have a mode that was never announced, nor was led to believe was in?

“The single-player is really about the player’s story, and the player’s impact on the Rainbow Six universe,” continues Witts. Rainbow Six Siege is bringing us back to the scenario-based missions from previous Rainbow titles. Each scenario is designed with single-player in mind, though all of them can be played in co-op. As with the Hostage Rescue mode revealed at E3 last year, there’s no respawning; if you go down once, you’re down for good.

http://blog.ubi.com/rainbow-six-siege-single-player-terrohunt-modes/

Omzz

it'll be -10 dollars for the absence of SP, but for the "free map packs" 10 bucks will be added. So therefore it will be normal price

Rizific

Perfectly fine spending $60 on a 12hr single player campaign.

Loses mind about $60 MP only game with countless possible hours of fun

Never change, GAF.

I don't think I've ever gone from being so excited to so uninterested in a game.

Ubisoft had the chance to release a big-budget, multi-platform Tactical Shooter, a genre which is criminally underrepresented, and would be non-existent if it weren't for PC gaming.

Having looked at all the recent footage and impressions, I'm not even sure Ubisoft knows who they want to cater this towards. This news is just icing on the cake.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
No campaign I'd play once for 5 hours and forget about?
That's fine with me. Focus on creating more content elsewhere.

I will defend a MP only game could be $60 if done really well.
The main issue I have is I have not seen a $60 MP-only game worth it. Evolve/Titanfall failed hard.

I can't believe they have this up for pre-order for £50 on Steam and it doesn't even have any SP component at all? That's freaking ridiculous. The MP definitely doesn't seem varied enough to warrant the lack of any SP.

squadr0n

And they just lost me as a customer. This game is way too complex and challenging for the average Walmart shopper that needs something in place to teach the player. The story mode allows the player time to familiarize themselves with the mechanics and tactics needed for the advanced modes played at a later date. Just from the Beta alone I can tell this game needs a story if I'm going to come back.

jesu

Are they not referring to Terrohunt in this? Having scenarios designed for single and multiplayer = / = a single player campaign.

The second half of the article is about Terrorhunt, the first half is about single player.
That single player portion is now gone, replaced with tutorials.Apparently.

I knew this was going to happen, then people argued me otherwise when Ubi showed their E3 trailer with the actress, but deep down I always knew there wasn't going to be any SP, guess I'll be saving money then.

Ubisoft really fell from grace, Syndicate is a miss, Siege is a miss, and I am still not sold on The Division, I'm a single player guy, and The Division looks like another Destiny game, an MMO with little to no story, so probably another miss for me.

Top Bottom