• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms that Rainbow Six: Siege will NOT feature a single-player campaign

The game isn`t even like the old games at all. This is a Counter-Strike clone, while the old games was tactical.

Edit:

Mandatory video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdgfMdUSM6g

Tbh my first Rainbow Six game was Rogue Spear and I enjoyed the fuck out of that game. While the Beta was enjoyable since I used to play CS before, I would have thought at least the SP campaign would be akin to those of the old RS games.

As a multiplayer game RS isn't half bad, but I did always enjoy playing Rainbow Six's campaign and like I said $80 for just a MP is a no-no for me right now.

jesu

People keep saying that Evolve needs a campaign. But what would that even be? The core premise behind Evolve is inherently MP. Would a campaign be you vs a single monster the whole time? You vs the random other smaller animals. What would the level design be? The problems with Evolve was more than it being multiplayer only. Along with their DLC practices, the basic gameplay never felt right. The guns never felt fun to shoot and the tools never satisfying to use. Tracking the monster was boring and I'd loathe doing it by myself in a campaign.

Titanfall and Rainbow Six at least have good basic mechanics and the gameplay feels good. The nature of those games is also more conducive to a campaign than Evolve.

Cut scenes and set pieces.
Killing robots and alien grunts.
Flying a ship at some point.
A turret section.
Flipping switches.
Climbing towers!
Zombies?

farisr

Rainbow Six 3 being one of the top games on original Xbox live, it's majority of it's playerbase being on PC and Vegas 1 and 2 having really robust online components.

And...? Halo games have robust online components and ware consistently the top games on Xbox Live. It'd be a big deal if a Halo game shipped without a campaign.

It's the same here. The campaigns in the past Rainbow Six games were generally considered good.

Bowler

And... Halo games have robust online components and ware consistently the top games on Xbox Live. It'd be a big deal if a Halo game shipped without a campaign.

It's the same here. The campaigns in the past Rainbow Six games were generally considered good.

Not to mention the most fun to be had was terrorist hunt on those campaign maps. Not random AI on MP maps. Dafuq is this shit

BashNasty

Sounds great, I'd rather they get the multiplayer perfect than shoehorn in a single player no one will care about after a week.

People get, way, way too hung up on a lack of single player in multiplayer focused titles. A game with only multiplayer can absolutely be worth 60 bucks.

Wasp

I never expected a full blown story mode but for some reason I was thinking there were going to some form of SP component, such as a bunch of short missions to play through.

I've played a few matches in the beta, it's okay but the MP feels like a smaller part of a larger game. Not worth $60 IMO.

MP only games should at max be $40. Now, if a game is MP focused and only has stuff like offline missions but no actual story, like the new Star Wars Battlefront, $60 is fine because you can still play the game if your internet is out.

I remember, Warhawk was only $40, as was SOCOM Confrontation.

Welp.

Kinda off topic: I read some comments and in the end I disagree with Battlefront getting a pass. Buy hey, nostalgia and all that.

More and more devs seem to bank on the online multiplayer alone, they want the community to sell them dlc etc.

I really dislike this development.

Sanpei

AC Syndicate, Division and this boring one...

Not good for ubisoft
Ps: i liked the previous rb6 games...This one is just not entertaining..I played 4 matches in beta and i couldnt get into it..it was dull and boring

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Who in the hell is interested in playing BF single player? No like seriously..Who the fuck wants to play that shit? Because that's exactly what you will get if Ubisoft makes one.

jelly

This aside, the game looks like they aren't trying too hard and will do anything to get it out door and recoup something. Not a great return for the the series. Don't think they want to go back to drawing board again but it feels like it was never made with clear key goals, just what can they do on the cheap or salvage. Should not return. Ubisoft need to raise their standards and nail them. Makes things work not kinda and have some quality control.

Next up, Ghost Recon open world.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
MP only games should at max be $40. Now, if a game is MP focused and only has stuff like offline missions but no actual story, like the new Star Wars Battlefront, $60 is fine because you can still play the game if your internet is out.

I remember, Warhawk was only $40, as was SOCOM Confrontation.

So if there is a mode in the game where you can play with BOTS then it's worth 20$ more?

impact

Banned
What was the last one?

probably the TrackMania abomination they released or the worst racing game of the generation, The Crew. Not to mention the fact that they destroyed the Trials series.

If we're talking quality then Far Cry 4 is the only thing they've developed in the past couple years that isn't a flop.

Sanpei

BF has great multiplayer experience, who cares campaign for that...You can spend hundreds of hours with its multiplayer

I hate what's become of Tom Clancy games. It's time to come to terms with the fact I'm never going to get a Rainbow 6 game like the originals, or a good old fashioned Ghost Recon.

super6646

Banned
This is becoming a very bad trend in the gaming industry. Sorry to say, but I am unwilling to pay full price for a game without singleplayer.

So if there is a mode in the game where you can play with BOTS then it's worth 20$ more?

Well, yeah. If its a series like Battlefront or Battlefield where the multiplayer is the game, there should be something that can be played when your internet is down, or the game servers are down. Whether that is actually a story campaign, offline battles with bots, an offline survival mode, or whatever it doesn't matter. If a multiplayer focused game is going to be sold at $60 there should be some of the aforementioned things. If it is truly just multiplayer only it should be priced accordingly.

Who in the hell is interested in playing BF single player? No like seriously..Who the fuck wants to play that shit? Because that's exactly what you will get if Ubisoft makes one.

I still haven't finished BF4's campaign because it is just so boring. Bite sized sections where you finally get to shoot your gun interlaced between scripted walk-and-talk moments and overly long set piece moments.

jelly

RS isn't exactly BF so think it's unfair to compare that investment from the publisher. There is an argument for a better price.

When it was called Bad Company? Me and all of my gaming buddies.

Nobody wants shit campaigns or shoe-horned anything. We all want quality, worthwhile stuff, whether that's versus or co-op or campaigns or anything else.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Well, yeah. If its a series like Battlefront or Battlefield where the multiplayer is the game, there should be something that can be played when your internet is down, or the game servers are down. Whether that is actually a story campaign, offline battles with bots, an offline survival mode, or whatever it doesn't matter. If a multiplayer focused game is going to be sold at $60 there should be some of the aforementioned things. If it is truly just multiplayer only it should be priced accordingly.

Even if it's hot garbage?

When it was called Bad Company? Me and all of my gaming buddies.

I understand. By those days are long gone.

jesu

This aside, the game looks like they aren't trying too hard and will do anything to get it out door and recoup something. Not a great return for the the series. Don't think they want to go back to drawing board again but it feels like it was never made with clear key goals, just what can they do on the cheap or salvage. Should not return. Ubisoft need to raise their standards and nail them. Makes things work not kinda and have some quality control.

Next up, Ghost Recon open world.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands looks great!

You can do terrorist hunt mode solo offline in Siege. It probably isn't fun, but it passes the very low bar that you set for what makes an acceptable MP-only game.

I don't think a campaign is the remedy for the stigma with MP games. MP games that have a large dedicated install base are few and far between. And developers who can maintain an audience with continued support are pretty damn rare. Multiplayer games are fun for the first month or two that it's out because everyone's new. People are having a blast. But if you are a latecomer who was waiting for a sale or a casual player, chances are that you will be coming into a shrinking community where only the dedicated hardcore players are still playing. An MP-only game needs game modes that can cater to casual players and late entrants so they aren't getting stomped by elite players. I think terrohunt is a fine mode for people like me. Much like how I don't touch the versus mode in L4D and stick to only the co-op mode.

orava

I have always assumed that it's a multiplayer game only. Also it's even more surprising that some people are actually hurt by this "news".

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why do we cheer when single player games dont tack on multiplayer modes, but boo when multiplayer games dont tack on a single player mode?

Omega

Banned

Why do people need to have 1 game that has it all? What's wrong with having something like

MP: R6, Battlefront
SP: Fallout 4, Nathan Drake Collection, Tales, Just Cause 3, Divinity, etc.

If your internet is down go play on of the 15 single player focused games coming out in the next 3 months.

I didn't play old Rainbow Six games for a campaign, in fact, that shit bummed me out. Competitive MP and Terrorist Hunt on the highest difficulty is all I fucked with.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Confirmation bias. In this case, people are anti-ubisoft.

Plus majority of people complaining didn't even play R6/had not intentions of buying Siege. It's like someone saying that I wouldn't buy BF because it doesn't have SP

Timu

why do we cheer when single player games dont tack on multiplayer modes, but boo when multiplayer games dont tack on a single player mode?
Because the latter is hard to swallow for most people at full price, plus the multiplayer has to be good, have longevity and have a strong community.

We don't want another Evolve again, lol.

Why do people need to have 1 game that has it all? What's wrong with having something like

MP: R6, Battlefront
SP: Fallout 4, Nathan Drake Collection, Tales, Just Cause 3, Divinity, etc.

If your internet is down go play on of the 15 single player focused games coming out in the next 3 months.

You are conflating single player with campaign. Loading up a multiplayer map offline to play against bots and playing a fully voiced and storied campaign are two different things. I am saying that MP focused games should always have an "Instant Action" mode if they don't have a campaign.

MJLord

Because the latter is hard to swallow for most people at full price, plus the multiplayer has to be good, have longevity and have a strong community.

We don't want another Evolve again, lol.

Which it won't.

They'll launch with barely any content (as is the standard) and fragment the community with map packs and other bullshit.

Top Bottom