• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft polls public on future Far Cry settings (Peru, Alaska, Western, Dino...)

Game needs better (More standard) multiplayer options and for god's sake bring back the Multiplayer portion of the map editor.

Then and only then will the setting even matter.

Dinosaurs would be interesting, but the gameplay would have to be tweaked to accommodate the variety of "enemies". There are giant, lumbering herbivores, there are fast, vicious carnivores, stealthy predators, giant predators, avian dinosaurs, etc etc.

I'm not really sure how Far Cry's mechanics would come into play, most of the dinosaurs would be too busy killing each other rather than bothering with the protagonist who is freewheeling through a jungle in a jeep. Perhaps there's some sort of event or biological condition in which different species of dinosaurs would want to kill you, rather than for the sake of the hunt.

Maybe the game is set in an alternate time where humans coexist with dinosaurs.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but I think such a setting would be better suited to more linear gameplay in smaller environments.

Now Vikings, there you have an entire arsenal of human mythology and history at your disposal.
Oh no we will still be killing human enemies. Just like the first Jurassic Park movie, say all hell broke loose at the park and the evil corporation is trying to cover up the mess before words get out, the protagonist is carrying some vital information that will make or break the park and is trying to escape the island. Evil corporation sends mercenaries after the protagonist before he leaves the island, and you will be fighting human enemies most of the time, with some set pieces involving a T-Rex thrown in every now and then for good measure. There will be dinosaurs roaming the island, triceratops (rhinos), velociraptors (leopards), they will all be there should you want to hunt them. As unexciting as it sounds, this is probably what we will get.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Give me dinos. Forget the faux real world stuff (do eagles attack you every five minutes in Nepal?). Let's just go straight fantasy crazy.

Griss

What a bunch of shit optio....

Dinosaurs. Yes. That's the one. That's it right there.

Seriously, though, I'd only buy a Far Cry set in a tropical location with beaches etc. Didn't buy Far Cry 4 because it wasn't, though I intend to play it sometime. Exploring tropical settings is a huge part of the appeal to me. Frankly, I'll buy any game set in the Caribbean and most that feature tropical locations.

Add dinosaurs to a tropical location and you can have my bank details, sort code, the lot.

I'm going to guess that at least 3 of those (dinos, zombies, Vietnam) are coming this fall in a previously teased Blood Dragon 3. Just seems too coincidental.

Peru is also probably Fry Cry 5's location.

Jawmuncher

I'm going to guess that at least 3 of those (dinos, zombies, Vietnam) are coming this fall in a previously teased Blood Dragon 3. Just seems too coincidental.

Peru is also probably Fry Cry 5's location.

i6ouKrX.gif

But I just want the dinosaurs.

ironcreed

Banned
I would be down for Alaska. But Vampires, Post Apocalyptic, Western or Dinosaurs would be pretty slick as well. Just no zombies please. I love still love them, but it's already to the point of being too much of a good thing.

demolitio

Alaska would be neat but how could anyone choose anything else other than Dinosaurs? Even with the same gameplay cloned over and over again, dinosaurs would at least make it unique from the other FC games and interesting enough to bring in new gamers that never cared about FC before.

Of all the sci-fi things to do, modern-day dinosaurs would be the one I'd support for a series like FC. The gameplay is still fun but gets repetitive and the stories aren't very engaging, so what harm could dinosaurs do? THAT WRITES ITSELF!

Fuck. Now I'll accept nothing less.

njean777

Give me Dinosaurs and I will buy it day one. Now that you did this poll though I will not accept anything less than Dinosaurs.

Miguel81

"a Far Cry game set in the modern day on a Jurassic Park-style island with dinosaurs"

That part sounds about right to me. I've been vying for something to scratch that JP SNES itch for a long time.

THAT WRITES ITSELF!

Hmm.. I disagree. Looking at Far Cry 3/4 I don't see how dinosaurs could be worked into that formula without taking the game back to the drawing board.

Hunting and wildlife are just side aspects of the full game, which is primarily about killing humans. Unless the Dinos have guns, forts, and an outrageously evil leader voiced by Troy Baker I don't see it happening.

Ubisoft probably isn't going to rework the game that heavily. Far Cry 5 will be out Fall 2016 for better or worse.

Aeqvitas

Please dinosaurs. There hasn't been a good dinosaur game in forever. And a FarCry with a stronger focus on surviving dinosaurs would be awesome.

Teggy

Put whatever you want in it, but I'd love a return to Far Cry 1 style levels where the emphasis is on the objective. Keep the stealth and climbing, but ditch the Ubi towers and collectibles.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Peru - most logical and likely choice, but could be too similar too Far Cry 3 in setting, but I'm not certain

Alaska - second most likely choice, I think it might be a tad boring, but it could work

Vietnam War - this sounds controversial and the setting would be jungly like Far Cry 3

Spaghetti Western-style - a FPS red dead that will probably be worst...not the best idea, would be intresting to play.

Vampires - This could be intresting, but I am not sure as its own setting, maybe like a side part of game

Post-Apocalypse - Like Fallout and would probably a worse version, would still play it though

Dinosaur's - Definitely the one I am favoriting, and the only jungle setting where it is likely not to matter because Dinosaurs are freaking cool

demolitio

Hmm.. I disagree. Looking at Far Cry 3/4 I don't see how dinosaurs could be worked into that formula without taking the game back to the drawing board.

Hunting and wildlife are just side aspects of the full game, which is primarily about killing humans. Unless the Dinos have guns, forts, and an outrageously evil leader voiced by Troy Baker I don't see it happening.

Ubisoft probably isn't going to rework the game that heavily. Far Cry 5 will be out Fall 2016 for better or worse.

Dinos would be enemies, but you would still be battling some humans as well. I was more talking about the story aspect like I said.

You can make dinos a big part of the game but still fight humans much like old dino games did. Attacking that outpost with loud guns could attract some nasty predators and lead to a temporary cease-fire between the humans to try and fight ol' Rexy or run away from it. You could use raptors to clean out a base and cause panic, etc.

Nothing says the dinos have to be the main squeeze, just the main attraction and it shouldn't be too hard to work them in more than the current wildlife since they increased their usefulness in FC4 as well. Knowing the FC writers, it would probably end up being a rogue faction trying to take over the island full of dinosaurs to use them in attacks against the countries they hate or some shit and you're stuck in the middle.

spekkeh

Banned
Do people still fall for this shit? It's like when they polled where the next Assassin's Creed should take place and the internet said feudal Japan and then Ubisoft went all haha Japan is literally the worst, here's the United States nobody asked about.

This is just the usual Ubisoft PR malarkey going hey we care about you! Please help us! We're a real community we are.

lol we don't give a fuck you'll buy anything

Auctopus

A dinosaur island game would sell gangbusters following the upcoming Jurassic World film.

It would also give them completely free reign on technology and environmental design, they could make the ultimate playground.

I grew tired of Far Cry 4's ideas pretty quick (and I hadn't even played 3) - but Far Cry with Dinosaurs would have my money immediately.

Alaska seems like the more realistic next setting though. It's Ubisoft, can't expect them to try anything TOO interesting.

Also, no new Western games from Ubisoft unless it's a CoJ: Gunslinger sequel.

Top Bottom