• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft polls public on future Far Cry settings (Peru, Alaska, Western, Dino...)

Roshin

I don't see how they can pull off the dinosaur setting, there weren't any radio towers back then?

A "lost island" setting with dinosaurs and a native population who worships spirits. A big bad corporation with a big bad boss discovers the island and wants to exploit it hard. You play an employee who's having second thoughts. You side with the native population and fight the power! Ancient mystical towers are littered over the island, built by the mystical ancients. The corporation have put their evil machines/radios/whatever in the towers.

Seriously, this shit writes itself.

I'd kill for this:

OFWb23g.gif

A "lost island" setting with dinosaurs and a native population who worships spirits. A big bad corporation with a big bad boss discovers the island and wants to exploit it hard. You play an employee who's having second thoughts. You side with the native population and fight the power! Ancient mystical towers are littered over the island, built by the mystical ancients. The corporation have put their evil machines/radios/whatever in the towers.

That's pretty easy.

I hope we have less enemies to gun down, but that the terrain, wildlife, and AI of the enemies are off-the-scale, leading to more tense encounters that require your brain instead of the game throwing everything and the kitchen sink at you

Heck, you don't even need to be an employee... just be the survivor of an airplane crash who wakes up to find himself in the above situation with an sinister corporation and creepy island natives and dinosaurs everywhere.

Roshin

Heck, you don't even need to be an employee... just be the survivor of an airplane crash who wakes up to find himself in the above situation with an sinister corporation and creepy island natives and dinosaurs everywhere.

True, but you could be the son of the big bad boss! Hell, you could be one of several sons and you'll have to fight them all as you work your way to the final conflict with your evil father. :D

Akainu

Wasn't the original far cry about mutants or something? They should do dinosaurs and they should have feathers.

Dinosaurs please, would bring it back to the crazy science bullshit Far Cry 1 had.

Even just an expansion for Far Cry 4 with dinosaurs, or a Blood Dragon type thing.

SeanTSC

For once I want to happily work for the big boss. Fuck the hero/savior shit. I want to run security and deal with problems and get promoted. Work your way up to head of security. Get paid. Get new gear from R&D. And ride dinos. With guns.

FC4 showed that trying to be the "hero" sucked balls. It's time to be someone different. You don't have to be bad, or evil. Just someone who's trying to keep the peace and keep the ship running tight. The corporation doesn't have to be some big bad guy.

Bsigg12

I really want some bat shit crazy Far Cry 5. A Jurassic World style game or a spaghetti western could be a ton of fun.

Too bad they couldn't do a Back to the Future inspired setting where you bounce around time periods.

This isn't even a debate. Dinosaurs is the only answer.

You hear that Ubisoft? Your crimes aren't forgotten nor forgiven, but this will lead you back down the path to redemption.

Problem with Peru + Alaska is that basically what FC4 is right now.

They should just give it a rest and come up with something new.
I know that is hard and not what is going to happen but still hey should do that.

Dinosaurs. Hands down.

It's all I can think of when playing Far Cry 4. Imagine riding a Triceratops into battle, or perhaps even a T-Rex?

Seriously, the game is perfect for it.

MrBali

Neo Member
I would ask for Alaska, survival elements could be really fun setting up fire hunting for food etc. (maybe a hardcore mode like New Vegas?) Dinos are okay for me as well it would be a nice new entry for the series that is starting to get old already.

But let's not kid ourselves it's going to be Peru and it will be generic as fuck. "Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy."

conman

That poll is all kinds of cynical. They may as well be asking us what "costume packs" we want. How about making a new game instead of a re-skin of an existing one? This killed the AC series, and now Far Cry has gone down the same road.

knerl

First step to success. Get rid of all the horrible spiritual bullshit that plagues FC3 and 4.
Second step. Use a better engine that can actually represent the setting better. The environment in FC4 looks cheap if you ask me.

For some reason i was thinking assasin's creed and not far cry lol, I had to stop and recheck the title.

I was finding it hard to see an Assasin's Creed in the jurasic times lol...

knerl

That poll is all kinds of cynical. They may as well be asking us what "costume packs" we want. How about making a new game instead of a re-skin of an existing one? This killed the AC series, and now Far Cry has gone down the same road.

This.

HardRojo

I'm from Peru so definitely I'm biased towards a Far Cry located in Peru. That'd be nice and I hope Ubisoft will be able to do my country justice if it came down to that.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Technically speaking, with the new jurassic park film coming out soon everyone will be in the mood for a game with dinosaurs, a next gen one especially, and since it will undoubtedly be open world they can advertise Dinosaur AI and how they interact with each other.

DedValve

Banned
Just go crazy with the playful nature of Far Cry's mechanics.

Give me a heavy survival-esque Mad Max/Dino world/Alaska, give me a lighthearted and arcadey blood dragon/Vampire, etc. etc.

But give me dinosaurs first goddamnit.

I can actually see the Far Cry name being very diverse, drop the numbered title and focus on the location (Ubisofts strong suit) and "type" of FarCry. Blood Dragon proved there is room for more than 1 type of FarCry.

ZiZ

Dinosaurs sound great but the truth is they would be just more of the same with bigger Animals to hunt,

I think Vampires or some kind of future setting have the potential to be more interesting.

Dinosaurs. AND Vietnam.

FAR CRY 4: BLOOD DRAGON 3: VIETNAM WAR 2.

And it's a prequel to Blood Dragon 1, just to make it even MORE confusing. XD

I don't know if I want a Far Cry game with vampires in it. Maybe zombies, but even then.

Most of the others sound really interesting, though; especially Blood Dragon 2. That game is a gem.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Let's keep using the word dinosaur repeatedly in this thread so the bots who decide game themes over at Ubi Googles the keywords and finds interest in the idea.

Dinosaur

sgjackson

Let's keep using the word dinosaur repeatedly in this thread so the bots who decide game themes over at Ubi Googles the keywords and finds interest in the idea.

Dinosaur

can we cheese it

dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaurdinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur dinosaur

I'm all in for dinosaurs! I hoped for a dino DLC for Far Cry 3 but if we get Far Cry 5: Jurassic Park remix or something like that I'll be pleased.

pic-3763.jpg

At least Far Cry has satisfying gameplay and isn't yet an annual franchise. But I do agree that a from-the-ground-up game would be awesome. Fresh like Far Cry to Far Cry 2.

Dinosaurs would be interesting, but the gameplay would have to be tweaked to accommodate the variety of "enemies". There are giant, lumbering herbivores, there are fast, vicious carnivores, stealthy predators, giant predators, avian dinosaurs, etc etc.

I'm not really sure how Far Cry's mechanics would come into play, most of the dinosaurs would be too busy killing each other rather than bothering with the protagonist who is freewheeling through a jungle in a jeep. Perhaps there's some sort of event or biological condition in which different species of dinosaurs would want to kill you, rather than for the sake of the hunt.

Maybe the game is set in an alternate time where humans coexist with dinosaurs.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but I think such a setting would be better suited to more linear gameplay in smaller environments.

Now Vikings, there you have an entire arsenal of human mythology and history at your disposal.

They're seriously going to turn Far Cry into the same shit Asassins Creed is I guess? Guys think we'll get another one this year? It would be hilarious.

The Jurassic World movie is coming out in June 2015 and will no doubt start another dinosaur craze. Of course Ubisoft will capitalize on this and go with the dinosaur theme. They have already done something similar with Blood Dragon, just have to make the dragons bigger with less lasers.

Top Bottom