• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft polls public on future Far Cry settings (Peru, Alaska, Western, Dino...)

clockpunk

I really would love to see a Far Cry set in Egypt - either 1920's or modern day - with plenty of tomb exploration / looted treasures recovery. It was exploring the WWII bunkers in Far Cry 3 that really won me over.

Shredderi

They've been going to a more outlandish direction so might as well go deeper into the rabbit hole. I say go post apocalyptic dinosaurs.

Servbot24

Banned
If people are happy with that I guess that's cool but I really hate how these are literally becoming Ubisoft the Game: Vietnam / Peru / Paris / [insert random location here) Edition. They must be the absolute least inspired developers.

Dinosaurs is the obvious answer, but a Mad Max style post apocalyptic western, with vampires and Dinosaurs would be the best thing ever.

wildfire

Banned
you had me at dinosaurs

Some better have feathers.

trex+feathers+hunting.jpg

jEO8ubl.gif

Ix5S5RK.jpg

Banned
So Far Cry likes its islands and archipelagos huh? Naturally the Açores then. No personal bias here.

SeanTSC

If people are happy with that I guess that's cool but I really hate how these are literally becoming Ubisoft the Game: Vietnam / Peru / Paris / [insert random location here) Edition. They must be the absolute least inspired developers.

Which is one of the reasons why their "serious" stuff like FC4 misses the mark so badly. They need to do just fun, weird, wacky, out there different stuff instead of what they tried to do with their regular numbered entries. They don't all need to be as nutty as Blood Dragon, but they definitely need to spice up the fun with stuff like Dinosaurs.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I'd rather they stick to the island/tropical type setting and use dynamic weather to make everything alive. Far Cry 4 hurts a lot because of the static environment, no matter how pretty it can be to look at.

and dinosaurs

PROBABLY Ubisoft asking their customers is a good thing, but Ubisoft being Ubisoft, this had me thinking...

If Far Cry 5 will be just more Far Cry 3/4 and people will be bored and also call the setting boring, Ubisoft will say "hey, we asked you, what more could you want!".
And there is the problem! You must not assume the consumer knows what he wants until he can compare finished products.

One of my favorite writers, Neil Gaiman, once said something of the sort:
"98% of times a fan comes to you and says 'there was something off with this part of your story, I couldn't really get into it' he is right, 98% of times a fan comes to you and says 'maybe if you had done xyz... this could have been so much better' he is wrong" [sorry, couldn't find the original quote without putting unreasonable effort into it]

deeptech

Why would they even poll it, they (most likely) already started working on it?

They want to know simply what their consumers want to pay for. Making sure the game sells even before it's made. Disgusting for those you aren't used to being ripped off every year with poor copy/paste jobs.

Ozium

A "Land of the Lost" style world with dinos would be amazing.. You could have good dinos and bad dinos... the plot would be about how some rich dude is exploiting the dinos (hence the 'good ones' that are on your side, you could ride a triceratops or something like the elephants in 4)

of course this would have deep sociological and ethical undertones as well as biting satire unseen since Jonathan Swift, since it's a Far Cry game :p

blood dragon shows that large enemies can definitiely work

Post Apocalyptic Dinosaur game.

My last Gamma World campaign I ran, I had it that Jurassic Park was real but worked. The Dinosaurs were controlled and didn't get out and eat people while the park was functioning. Oddly enough operating in Canada. After the bio-nuclear bombs fell, they got out, mutated somewhat, and were really successful.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
A "Land of the Lost" style world with dinos would be amazing.. You could have good dinos and bad dinos... the plot would be about how some rich dude is exploiting the dinos (hence the 'good ones' that are on your side, you could ride a triceratops or something like the elephants in 4)

of course this would have deep sociological and ethical undertones as well as biting satire unseen since Jonathan Swift, since it's a Far Cry game :p

blood dragon shows that large enemies can definitiely work

What about, like, a way that you can "summon" smaller, carnivorous dinos to attack one of the enemy strongholds. Just a swarm of miniature death and destruction.

Bricky

Vietnam War sounds like it could be really interesting as a serious setting, but I'm fine with pretty much anything on that list. Jurassic Cry? Yes please!

Zombies is a bit uninspired though, Could be fun, but Far Cry x Zombies doesn't exactly result in a game we've never seen before. How would that even work with outposts and stealth? Zombie guards?

injurai

Banned
Zombies - No, we get enough zombie games.
Western - No, RD3 is on it's way.
Mad Max - No we get enough of those each gen.

Peru sounds really neat to me.

Kathian

Banned
First FarCry is so different to the current games it's quite funny. I'd like a forest action horror type. Dino in

robin2

A FarCry: The Lost World (Doyle's) would be a bold and interesting choice.
(Sadly it'll likely be another instance of "ubisoft game" in the end).

Otherwise going back to Africa sounds better than anything else mentioned frankly.

Brofield

My last Gamma World campaign I ran, I had it that Jurassic Park was real but worked. The Dinosaurs were controlled and didn't get out and eat people while the park was functioning. Oddly enough operating in Canada. After the bio-nuclear bombs fell, they got out, mutated somewhat, and were really successful.

What drugs are you taking and may I have some please

Nestunt

Besides underwater gameplay, which would be near impossible to pull off to lead to a somewhat fun game, or Amazon forest; I dont see where they can get more biological diversity with large animals than something with Dinos

dyergram

Since there's probably little to no chance of a new engine I'd like rather than a obscure setting, to have cell shaded visuals.Add that to any of those settings and you have infinately more interesting take on what will enevetably be a re-tread of the last three games.

Denton

I would love dinosaurs, or wild west, or even vampires, but please please just overhaul the game design itself...no god damn collectibles, no god damn recycled sidequests and design aspects from other games, no checklist based design..

Top Bottom