• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft sunk to a new low - Prince of Persia Sands of Time gets a new box art!

GC|Simon

The new boxart has less colors. It's better for the environment!

Activision would have renamend the PS2 version to "The Forgotten Sands".

500x_popbox1.jpg

:lol

Actually this looks pretty bad by today's standards. And what's with that expression? He looks like he's been picked on his whole life and wants to shoot/slice up his school. Oh, and the blade -- is that supposed to be a reflection or something? Because it looks like the first experiments of an amateur air brush artist.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but it is pretty damn slimy. Just one more line on the chalkboard of Slimy Decisions from Ubisoft Lately.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Cat in the Hat said:
There is nothing wrong about this at all. Zero.

yeah, I don't get all the fuss.

They did miss a trick by not putting "based on the movie of this game" on it though.

2San

Meh what's the deal people might get tricked into buying one of the best games of the last gen.

Considering the shitty sales I think it's well within their right to make these peasants buy the awesome that was SoT

wow, I don't even know what to say about this. I'm almost just as shocked about the fact that this game still sells new in stores, as I am about the fact that they went ahead and changed it.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Scythesurge said:
I just think it's funny that they expect the PS2 game to sell now. It probably will a bit too.
I think it's funnier that no one thinks to rerelease PS2 games anymore. The system still sells decently for its age even though the only stuff representing it on most retailers' shelves anymore is old shovelware leftovers. The system could probably be doing even better if publishers made any attempt to keep a few of their best titles on those shelves.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
People gettting duped into buying a game they don't want is not good. Doesn't matter if you think it's better or not.

Somebody's going to think it's just the PS2 version of the new PoP game and waste their money.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Htown said:
People gettting duped into buying a game they don't want is not good. Doesn't matter if you think it's better or not.

Somebody's going to think it's just the PS2 version of the new PoP game and waste their money.

How is getting a much better game a waste of their money ? The subject matter is probably CLOSER to the movie than in the new game.

It will however make for some interesting conversations with their friends who have other versions call it a crappy game and they wonder wtf's going on.

Kinyou

chandoog said:
How is getting a much better game a waste of their money ? The subject matter is probably CLOSER to the movie than in the new game.

It will however make for some interesting conversations with their friends who have other versions call it a crappy game and they wonder wtf's going on.

And what if they already had bought the old one?

Htown said:

I dunno, they should learn to read then. Changing cover art is pretty standard practice in other forms of media, and if catalog sales are going to be a part of gaming, people ought to get used to it.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
whatevermort said:
Hang on, why is it slimy and underhanded? They aren't selling it as a new game; it's still the same game, on an older format, sold using the marketing for the film that it shares a name with. It's just marketing, and it's sensible marketing, if you ask me; there's lots of ten year old kids who'll love the new film, who'll have a PS2 and want to play the game based on it. Might as well give them the same aesthetic in the product, right?

They may not be selling it or marketing it as new but the change in the box is not just to update the aesthetics of the product, they know very will they will make a little bit of money off of some uninformed gamers thinking that it is a complete re-haul of the game or some that actually think it is an entirely new title (mainly young children that see it and because of the box it looks new to them).

This can be looked at as good marketing in the case of those that have never played it before and brought into the new experience, but yet again it is looked at slimy and underhanded for those that might be tricked and didn't know any better (possibly parents).

Not a Jellyfish said:
They may not be selling it or marketing it as new but the change in the box is not just to update the aesthetics of the product, they know very will they will make a little bit of money off of some uninformed gamers thinking that it is a complete re-haul of the game or some that actually think it is an entirely new title (mainly young children that see it and because of the box it looks new to them).

This can be looked at as good marketing in the case of those that have never played it before and brought into the new experience, but yet again it is looked at slimy and underhanded for those that might be tricked and didn't know any better (possibly parents).
How young are we talking here? Cuz realistically, Sands of Time is seven years old, and I can't imagine anyone having a meaningful (even in the smallest way) experience with the game under age four, so I think the youngest possible segment that likely played the game are eleven or older.

Now, I don't know about you, but when I was 11, I was fucking meticulous about the shit I bought. A cover change wouldn't have fooled me for even half a second.

robochimp said:
Books made into movies do this all the time
The issue here is that this is an old game being made to look like a new one associated with the movie.

New game:
51b0cefT6OL._AA300_.jpg

Old game made to look like the new game:
51qdSGX%2BWnL._AA300_.jpg

Hey, it has "sands" in the title . . . put a new cover on it.

Old game original:
51Y5R45Y53L._AA300_.jpg

B-Dex

People aren't angry they changed the cover. It is the fact it is the EXACT SAME COVER as their new game.

Sure, go ahead and update it to reflect the movie's aesthetic. But don't try to make it look like your new product.

Mr_Zombie

It's a shady move (and the new cover is fugly), but hey, the more people plays the original "Sands of Time", the better :D

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Oh man, now I can't fucking frame the game and hang it on my wall. FOR SHAME.

As far as misrepresentation, I would only raise my eyebrows if there are no screenshots on the back.

selig

Banned
Cat in the Hat said:
ITT people get mad at something that has gone on in most forms of media since ever.

It's business fools.

ITT people okay something that´s not okay just because it´s often being done.

KAL2006

Banned
If any journalists here are attending E3, can someone bring it up out of nowhere when interviewing an Ubisoft exec.

The Ubi rep will either say
"and what it's all about the money what you gonna do"
"this interview is finished, turn off the camera"
"I have not heard of this I will look into this"

KAL2006 said:
If any journalists here are attending E3, can someone bring it up out of nowhere when interviewing an Ubisoft exec.

Yeah, this would totally be worth burning a PR bridge with Ubi over.

Raide

KAL2006 said:

The reply might be...

"Really? REALLY?" *smacks you upside the head*

Balb

New low?

I'd consider the fact that Ubisoft continues to make decent yet forgettable games this gen to be their "low."

gogojira

Ubisoft has really become quite pathetic this generation -- I mean that when it comes to noth ethics and actual game development.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Lothars said:
I don't see any issue with UBI for doing this, really there's nothing wrong with it.
it's to confuse consumers. the prince in game doesn't even look like that

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Segata Sanshiro said:
I dunno, they should learn to read then. Changing cover art is pretty standard practice in other forms of media, and if catalog sales are going to be a part of gaming, people ought to get used to it.
The problem is not that they changed the art.

The problem is that they changed the art of an old product to look exactly like the art of a different, new product in order to trick people into buying the game.

I can't believe you people don't think there's anything shady about this.

vg260

Htown said:

The problem is that they changed the art of an old product to look exactly like the art of a different, new product in order to trick people into buying the game.

Exactly.

Raide

Htown said:

Or maybe its done to show people "Hey, its like the old one!" After the 2008 version, it seems like an easy way to show people that this PoP is not another redesign but its carrying on the SoT stuff.

Top Bottom