• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft will make a surprise - Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Isn't this being done by a different team than Conviction? I thought this was a new team with Jade in charge. Conviction had some ok ideas, but they need to find a middle ground between it and Chaos Theory. They also need to do a better job optimizing on PC.

Yeah, I thought Ubi Toronto was doing the Conviction sequel.

theBishop

Banned
SPIES VS MERCS. DO IT.

Ubi can do what they want with the single player. I loved all 4 games on xbox1, and I honestly enjoyed the control innovations in Conviction.

But don't fuck with me on multiplayer. I want spies vs mercs. That's all.

soultron

Banned
Isn't this being done by a different team than Conviction? I thought this was a new team with Jade in charge. Conviction had some ok ideas, but they need to find a middle ground between it and Chaos Theory. They also need to do a better job optimizing on PC.

I think a lot of the leads and senior staff are the same.

Maxime Beland (Creative Director on SC5) is most likely involved since he now works at UbiTO.

Alexandre Parizeau (Lead Producer on SC5) is also probably involved since he is there as well.

Read up a bit on Ubisoft TO here.

They are/were hiring staff for the PC version of SC6 (you can find this by looking on the Ubisoft job listings site) too, so hopefully your PC concerns will be taken care of.

Back to the topic at hand, more Splinter Cell is great news. If it's something separate from SC6, I'd be even more excited since that means there is more than 1 SC game currently in the works. Can't wait to hear about it.

def sim

Double Agent on the original xbox was actually pretty good. WAY better than the 360 version.

Ubisoft logic is ridiculous. The guys who made Chaos Theory were relegated to the old gen version while the guys who make the "off year" Splinter Cell's had the HD versions.

Stat!

Im in the minority here but thought Conviction was an awesome reboot coming off a terrible Double Agent.

If it's SC: Conviction 2, I will be very happy. Spies vs Mercs would be awesome as a MP mode but keep the predator stealth (while adding passive stealth) please.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hope this has some form of Spies vs Mercs. Nintendo fans missed out online wise last go around with the GCN. I'd love to see a return of that mode now that Nintendo is handling online right with the Wii U.

I'm torn. Conviction has great controls and pretty great co-op missions, but the lack of vs multi and the crappy forced conflicts in the SP were definitely a downer.

Here's hoping we they bring back the NVG and the sound meter instead of desaturation and the bat-visor.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is the PC version of Double Agent the same as the Xbox version?

jonezer4

Conviction was ruined as there was no spies vs mercs. Double Agent was far from the best in the series in terms of single player, but it was just as fun as ever from a multiplayer standpoint.

Spies vs. Mercs or no buy.

I still can't fathom how that type of brilliant, game-changing multiplayer was devised, only to be inexplicably discarded this gen (wasn't a fan of the dumbed down DA multi either).

TheBear

I wish we got the original Bearded Sam Fisher version of Conviction rather than the bullshit Splinter Cell-lite version we got.

legacyzero

Banned
SPIES VS MERCS. DO IT.

Ubi can do what they want with the single player. I loved all 4 games on xbox1, and I honestly enjoyed the control innovations in Conviction.

This times INFINITY! My favorite multiplayer experience!

Lijik

Conviction was terrible and everybody who says "No Nibel, you are wrong altough you smell good" hasn't played the previous installments - or, to be specifically: Chaos Theory. That game was god-tier in my opinion.

Nibel not only do you smell great, you are completely right.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
>>Conviction Sequel<<

AKA: I win button sequel.

Seinfeldthrowinghandsupandgettingoutofseat.gif

Well, be glad the only thing you can get my money from is Ass Creed anymore, Ubisoft. Because you've killed Splinter Cell to me.

Please remove the black and white color desaturation for stealth indication.

I really like that game, but that was so fucking annoying. Just have the light on Sam's bag to indicate it or (better yet) just put a sound/brightness meter on the screen like the first game!

Ivan 3414

I am excited for this. I liked Conviction, although not as much as Chaos Theory. They need to add some elements from Chaos Theory like picking up bodies and more options for silent knockouts if they really want to hit the sweet spot.

Jtrizzy

Same here. I didn't hate conviction (maybe because I played it prior to Chaos Theory), the black and white filter really hurt it though. Not to mention the PC version has huge frame drops, even on a gtx 580.

Pandemic

I actually really enjoyed Conviction, had it's flaws, but it was still enjoyable. I really hope they bring this to the PS3, or the PC...

Articles don't work though, I was to late! :{

Mindman

Please remove the black and white color desaturation for stealth indication.

I really like that game, but that was so fucking annoying. Just have the light on Sam's bag to indicate it or (better yet) just put a sound/brightness meter on the screen like the first game!

10000 times agree!!'

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Of course, that's part of the problem: you can play it pretty much as you want, it doesn't make any difference, as the difficulty is simply trivial and plenty of game mechanics have been automatized.

I would actually argue that playing it completely stealthily is frustratingly difficult because the game wants to be an action game, and actively punishes you for trying to hide and sneak around.

This is the only game where at one point I pulled the disc out of the console and came within inches of snapping it in half. Needless to say I never finished it.

Hey guys... who will Sam be working for in this game? Considering all that's left of Third Echelon is Sam, Grimm, Fryer the computer geek, and a secretary. Everyone is either dead or got blown up.

EYEL1NER

I liked the black and white desaturization. It certainly beats everything being shades of brown like in a lot of ther games. And I like stuff that is black and white because it's not done much in other games or media. Loved The Saboteur and there was a lot of b/w in that game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
completed Conviction, it was decent. Haven't played previous Sam games. Not interested in them because of the theme.

I liked the black and white desaturization. It certainly beats everything being shades of brown like in a lot of ther games. And I like stuff that is black and white because it's not done much in other games or media. Loved The Saboteur and there was a lot of b/w in that game.

Nothing wrong with it in Saboteur or in-general, it was just badly used in Conviction.

Saboteur it was cool because of how it emphasized color, was used as a (blunt) metaphor for restoring Freedom to areas, and really added to the aesthetic of the game.

In Conviction it serves no purpose other than to indicate you are in the dark. Even worse, since you are often in areas that are very dark, having the game go black and white makes it harder to see the environment.

If they HAVE to do it again at least just make Sam turn black and white or something less intrusive on the gameplay. Or just use the little light on Sam's gear to indicate it; it's easy to see, it's integrated into the gameworld, and it doesn't get in the way.

conviction was decent. A bunch of the animations looked awkward though. Hated the whole b/w thing. Remember when SC games had like the best shadows around? Build off that. If I look like a dude who's hidden by darkness, than i should be hidden. Simple as that.

soultron

Banned
I still never understood why people hated the desaturation thing. I thought it worked well and meant you didn't have to look at a HUD element anymore. That was a definite plus, in my opinion.

jet1911

I still never understood why people hated the desaturation thing. I thought it worked well and meant you didn't have to look at a HUD element anymore. That was a definite plus, in my opinion.

I found it annoying because you play most of the game with no colors, a bit like in the first SC where everything was grey because you spent most of the time with Sam's NV goggle on. :p

I explained what I don't like about the desaturation above, but they already solved the HUD issue in Double Agent in a much less intrusive way.

Fisher had a little light on him (Dead Space style) that changed color depending on how concealed you were. It perfectly conveyed necessary information and was nicely integrated into the game world; instead of altering the games entire color scheme to convey that one little bit of information.

They already added in the projected information thing which gives Conviction a cool aesthetic, but the desaturation just feels like it was tacked on at the last minute. The Saboteur is built all around having the black and white with color artstyle. Conviction just uses it the same way many games use strawberry jelly to indicate you've taken damage. It's lazy at best and intrusive at worst.

weeman_com

Neo Member
Just caught this thread linked at another website.

I personally have a friend who works at ubi and on this title... Afaik from discussions with them, they have confirmed the next Splinter Cell game will be at E3. Although I dont have concrete evidence on the consoles front. They have stated to me that they do not know much about WiiU and its abilities so that would somewhat suggest to me that it isn't on that system, although there is a possibility its being handled by another team elsewhere. Whilst they have commented on what apparently the other next gen consoles capabilities look to be "beautiful".

Rigest

Neo Member
SPIES VS MERCS. DO IT.

Even though I hope the singleplayer will improve as well, I'm just hoping for spies vs mercs. It really is unique compared to most multiplayer games. <3 pandora and CT (ok, and double agent a bit as well).

Aguirre

the old sp games were first and foremost stealth espionage games. conviction is not related to the old sp gameplay-wise at all.

that fact that he's in his old Mark V Tactical Operations Suit (or perhaps an updated version or an OLDER version if it's a prequel.)

Functionally, yes it worked. I just hated playing most of the game in black and white.

Just caught this thread linked at another website.

I personally have a friend who works at ubi and on this title... Afaik from discussions with them, they have confirmed the next Splinter Cell game will be at E3. Although I dont have concrete evidence on the consoles front. They have stated to me that they do not know much about WiiU and its abilities so that would somewhat suggest to me that it isn't on that system, although there is a possibility its being handled by another team elsewhere. Whilst they have commented on what apparently the other next gen consoles capabilities look to be "beautiful".

Ubisoft has had dev kits for quite some time now, they probably have a good understanding of it at this point.

tzare

I am a fan of classic SC gameplay but i also had fun with conviction, especially deniable ops so i am excited. I hope it is multiplatform too

Top Bottom