• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UEFA Champions League Final 2012 - FC Bayern München vs. Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Has anyone pointed this out?
RrvuZ.jpg
An old Copa Libertadores motto says La copa se mira y no se toca (the cup is watched and not touched). He jinxed them, just like Gattuso did for AC Milan in 2005.

Clegg

This thread was amazing.

So much salt and bitterness.

Chelsea showed that pretty football isn't the only way to win. They rode their luck and won and congrats to them.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm reading the thread while watching the extended highlights of the game (fifty plus minutes of Bayern wasting chance after chance) and the only other time I remember GAF being this mental was two years ago in Ghana versus Uruguay.

Oxx

As I said on the first page of this thread:

This will be known as the 'Drogba Final'.

Last-gasp equaliser - Penalty Conceded - Scored winning penalty

(Now just ignore all the times I was predicting Bayern would win the shoot-out easily).

Gambit

What a horrible night. Congrats to Chelsea. You won, that's what counts.

But if I had not always hated Heynkes, I would do so now.
How can you substitute Müller with just a couple mins to go? He should know by now that our bench is shit.

And don't feed me that line about him being injured. When he saw his number up, he could not believe his eyes.

This is so much worse than 2010. At least in 2010 Inter was the better team.

Today I feel like I am done with football altogether. (Not even the Euro can mollify me)

We'll see how long it sticks.

PS: I normally quite like Lampard and believe that he and Drogba have earned an international title as highlight of their career. But why did it have to be now???

Hackbert

What a horrible night. Congrats to Chelsea. You won, that's what counts.

But if I had not always hated Heynkes, I would do so now.
How can you substitute Müller with just a couple mins to go? He should know by now that our bench is shit.

And don't feed me that line about him being injured. When he saw his number up, he could not believe his eyes.

This is so much worse than 2010. At least in 2010 Inter was the better team.

Today I feel like I am done with football altogether. (Not even the Euro can mollify me)

We'll see how long it sticks.

PS: I normally quite like Lampard and believe that he and Drogba have earned an international title as highlight of their career. But why did it have to be now???

exactly. Joachim Löw has a lot of cheering to do. But 2010 Bayern lost also and we played a great WC

Germany team that has actually a chance to win something:
-----------------------Neuer----------------------
Lahm---Hummels-----Höwedes-----Schmelzer
-----------Khedira------Gündogan-------------
--Reus/Götze-----Özil--------------Podolski---
------------------Klose---------------------------

Fry

No bias at all here. :lol

spidye

lahm, schweini, klose and podolski are the golden generation who never wins anything.
you will see.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Better to leave Robben at home now; that penalty will haunt him throughout the EC and will only harm the Dutch as a team.

Gambit

exactly. Joachim Löw has a lot of cheering to do. But 2010 Bayern lost also and we played a great WC

True, but I am so sick of playing a great Cup and still having nothing to show for.

screw the ec. spain will win this again. or france. no way germany is going to win anything with these players.

I fear the same. In fact, I am convinced.

Better to leave Robben at home now; that penalty will haunt him throughout the EC and will only harm the Dutch as a team.

You are probably right. He never was the same after the miss against Casillas, and this time he'll be even worse.

Obviously, it's easy to say after the fact, but why, oh why did they let him shoot? This season clearly wasn't his best and mentally he isn't the strongest.

All in all, I am bitterly disappointed with many things, but the decisive factor in my opinion was the substitution of Müller.

Pezking

No way. We won't win shit with a squad that has so little international experience.

Klose
Podolski - Özil - Müller
Schweinsteiger - Khedira
Schmelzer - Hummels - Badstuber - Lahm
Neuer

I'd gladly consider leaving Schweinsteiger at home, but we don't have enough depth at that position - or at least not enough with similar experience.
Löw should have nominated Kehl, just in case.

GC|Simon

I'm so pissed. Bayern deserved the trophy. Not Chelsea.

I hope for a match between Germany and England during Euro 2012. And for a revenge in Wembley. England will be destroyed. Mark my words.

FC Bayern, Stern des Südens,
Du wirst niemals untergehen,
weil wir in guten wie in schlechten Zeiten,
zueinander stehen.​

So when I visit London in July I should visit where Chelsea plays? I'm debating which stadium to check out, figure it'll be best to check out the one with the giant trophy

Arjen

Shame i missed the madness live on GAF, was watching with friends.
From the moment Robben stepped up to take the Pen, i knew he was going to miss.
What a crazy match.
Congrats Chelsea GAF

I hope for a match between Germany and England during Euro 2012. And for a revenge in Wembley. England will be destroyed. Mark my words.

zueinander stehen.​

Someone's been watching th history channel recently lol

Bayern deserve nothing if they didn't go out there and get it

Fuck bayern lol...

zueinander stehen.​

The fuck?
Chelsea doesn't equal England and FCB doesn't equal Germany (I'd gtfo asap if that was true, lol)
Having said that, I wouldn't be opposed to the prospect of kicking out England :O

Also, anyone here know why Neuer had to take a penalty kick?

Seriously, Neuer had the most balls out there for Bayern..

Neuer had some serious swagger taking that penalty. Too bad a number of his team-mates let him (and Lahm) down, lacking the composure to even put their hands up to contribute.

Hopefully English clubs do better next season.

Heh, Chelsea won the CL even though the PL has been "in decline" the whole season. This is why the cup football is special. On the day, reputation goes out the window.

Arjen

Pretty much...the Dutch are resentful/bitter about the occupation of Netherlands during WW2 by Germany and it's managed to spill into football and remains intact today...

So..uhm..why was i cheering for Bayern this year, and for Bayern two years ago then?
Dutch vs German in football is a rivalry in sports only for most of us.
I love Germans, i love coming to Germany, this WW2 bulshit has nothing to do with football.

itsgreen

So..uhm..why was i cheering for Bayern this year, and for Bayern two years ago then?
I love Germans, i love coming to Germany, this WW2 bulshit has nothing to do with football.

Yeah I agree. As have liked every trip I made to Germany and like the German people in general. But in football it's like a derby.

For the record: I was also supporting Bayern yesterday ;)

But the upside of them losing is that it might have a slight impact on the German national squad :) So Robben did well ;)

aeroslash

Because: Trolls.

Real Madrid flag isn't even the proper one. That's the flag of Morocco.

Trolls? Yeah, sure.

Catalan Nationalism is very extended on Catalan Barcelona supporters. Barça was a well stablished sign of the defense of the catalan culture when Franco ruled Spain.

Couldn't agree more. I believe the people who bring this up never visited the other country. Holland is awesome, i like the country and the people.
The rivalry is when the national teams play each other and even that has over the years become more a thing of playful teasing between the fans then blind hate.

This thread was amazing.

So much salt and bitterness.

Chelsea showed that pretty football isn't the only way to win. They rode their luck and won and congrats to them.

Let me ask you something.

Say hypothetically next a year a team makes their way through to the final playing 'attractive' football throughout the tournament and then win the final in similar fashion, do you think that team would be considered by the football public to have been more 'worthy' and deserved Champions than Chelsea despite the fact they've achieved exactly the same thing? Is there a difference?

WJD

Say hypothetically next a year a team makes their way through to the final playing 'attractive' football throughout the tournament and then win the final in similar fashion, do you think that team would be considered by the football public to have been more 'worthy' and deserved Champions than Chelsea despite the fact they've achieved exactly the same thing? Is there a difference?

Depends who they were playing against.

evilwart

A team winning the Champions League whilst playing attractive football could be described as a more entertaining champion, but not a more worthy champion. Winning/losing and attractive/ugly are separate things. Football is competitive and primarily, footballers are paid to win, not to entertain. If a team has to play ugly football to win, then so be it. Everybody would prefer for teams to win, whilst playing attractive football, but it isn't feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom