• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 142 |OT| Yes, CHAD MENDES is headlining this pay-per-view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I wonder if training with maynard will embolden aldo to move up to 155.

Aldo is not going to vacate his belt.

I just wish Dana would let him fight Edgar anyway. It's perfect timing too because neither division has an immediate #1 contender. Aldo has cleaned up 145 and all the contenders at 155 took turns knocking each other out of the picture.

Heel

Aldo is not going to vacate his belt.

I just wish Dana would let him fight Edgar anyway. It's perfect timing too because neither division has an immediate #1 contender. Aldo has cleaned up 145 and all the contenders at 155 took turns knocking each other out of the picture.

Yeah, Aldo vs. Edgar will lose its luster after Bendo takes the strap.

I have to be right one of these times!

Great main event, fucking love it. But I was embarrassed for Vitor. The fast standups really diminished this win imo. Still happy he won but it wasn't fair.

Missed everything else, but will definitely catch up now since it sounds like I missed a great card.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Great main event, fucking love it. But I was embarrassed for Vitor. The fast standups really diminished this win imo. Still happy he won but it wasn't fair.

Missed everything else, but will definitely catch up now since it sounds like I missed a great card.

He wasnt the one reffing the fight.

AiTM

Banned
I wouldnt say he was totally wrong in his standups...just aggressive in them. TBH it would help the sport were that to become the norm...but unfair to the base of the MMA pyramid.

agrajag

Banned
hey, do you guys think that the refs are pressured to stand fights up quicker at these Brazilian cards? It sure feels like it.

volturnus

Banned
If you guys liked it on TV, you should've seen it live... the arena felt like it was going to crumble when Belfort won, people were literally jumping to shake it even more lol
As many have said, one of the best cards in recent history, and I even managed to take a picture with Bruce Buffer! What a night..

It would definitely make it a different game if standups happened like that all the time, and wrestling wouldn't be as important anymore. Not a bad thing, but it has to be consistent -- fighters should know they are going to get stood up fast so they don't waste energy on tds unless they are confident they'll get a dominant position right away.

Well, I have to watch it again but it just seemed like the standups were very fast. I think the damage to Belfort's eye happened when he dropped down with a punch and not when he was sitting in guard?

dream

hey, do you guys think that the refs are pressured to stand fights up quicker at these Brazilian cards? It sure feels like it.

Not in general, but I'm completely convinced Miragliotta wanted to give Vitor's Back every possible opportunity to win this fight.

I think Vitor's Back would have won regardless of the standups though.

I believe in aging legends.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The stand ups were fucking garbage. That being said, Rumble was gassing hard by the time he got choked out. I don't think he would have won that fight anyway.

agrajag

Banned
The stand ups were fucking garbage. That being said, Rumble was gassing hard by the time he got choked out. I don't think he would have won that fight anyway.

Yeah dude, when he was on his knees at the end, even Vitor wasn't there, he'd struggle to get up.

a few thoughts:

eff Yamasaki for that BS DQ, everyone other than him thought the stoppage was for a TKO
Aldo used the fence to save himself from a sure slam, which was also BS
Stout got robbed, which was probably the biggest BS moment of the night...Tavares won Round 1, but he sure as hell didn't win Round 2 or 3. Unanimous decision my ass.

otherwise, very solid card with a lot of quick finishes.

DKehoe

What a show, thought Aldo had looked underwhelming in his previous UFC fights compared to in WEC but he looked fantastic tonight.

What a show, thought Aldo had looked underwhelming in his previous UFC fights compared to in WEC but he looked fantastic tonight.

Aldo has admitted that since he's had the strap he's had to play it safer in fights than he used to. It's the GSP Championship Syndrome.

He's always spectacular, he just had the split-second opportunity to really show it last night.

Damnit Rumble. Why couldn't you just trust your skills instead of feeling a need to bully too low of a weight class? Sucks but I guess at this point he deserves it.

After the postfight show interview last night, I've got no sympathy for him. He was asked if he'd do anything different if he had to do it all over again, like maybe manage his weight in camp so he'd be a little lighter and not have to cut so much water weight. He flatly said no, he wouldn't do anything different or be any lighter...it was just a basically a freak medical event that prevented him from dehydrating himself like a fucking raisin.

He's been almost completely unapologetic in this, and it sucks. Like Kenny Florian pointed out on the show last night, at the weigh-ins, he came out all smiles like he did nothing wrong, when Kenny said he'd be hanging his head in shame if that were him and he was so unprofessional.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
great night of fights, picked em all right except the silva robbery. aldo running into the stands was awesome and fuck AJ.

yacobod

Banned
not a big deal anyways for rumble. all he has to do is take a few fights somewhere, show that he can make weight, and he'll be back in the ufc in no time.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
not a big deal anyways for rumble. all he has to do is take a few fights somewhere, show that he can make weight, and he'll be back in the ufc in no time.

i dunno, sounds like a big deal for rumble to me

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
It's best for Rumble to leave the UFC and figure out which weight class best suits him. He could land with Strikeforce and potentially fight at LHW: Lawal, Mousasi, and Feijao; MW: Rockhold, Kennedy, Souza, and Lawler.

He could head over to Bellator to fight Lombard, Shlemenko or headline their LHW.

If he can last those through those orgs, UFC will undoubtedly give him another chance.

yacobod

Banned
i was a stellar 7/10 on picks last night, 2 perfects, and 4/5 boosts, for 880 points, would've had been better if Silva didn't get DQd.

Cool ....

Welterweight Erick Silva may not have left Saturday night's UFC 142 event as a winner, but he'll be paid like one.

At the evening's post-event press conference at Rio de Janeiro's HSBC Arena, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Silva will receive his win bonus despite being saddled with a disqualification loss.

"We're going to pay him like he won the fight," White told MMAjunkie.com.

White said he disagreed with Yamasaki's assessment of the fight-ending sequence, prompting him to award the win bonus.

Do you think Yamasaki didn't say anything about Aldo grabbing the fence because he was afraid the crowd or Rogan or Dana would get mad at him again after the Silva fuck up?

VASPER

Banned
Alright fuck the haters, I love AJ he's a beast. yes he got his ass handed to him by Vitor and he needs to work on his Sub defense, but hes such an exciting fighter to watch so ill watch him fight anytime.

Do you think Yamasaki didn't say anything about Aldo grabbing the fence because he was afraid the crowd or Rogan or Dana would get mad at him again after the Silva fuck up?
I thought I saw him warn him once and Aldo acknowledged and then after that one time he pushed against fence with hand but didn't grab?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Rogan needs to shut his trap and keep his opinions to himself or youtube them. While the DQ was a bit over the top, Joe has no right to question an official - he's a fucking color commentator.

Rogan needs to shut his trap and keep his opinions to himself or youtube them. While the DQ was a bit over the top, Joe has no right to question an official - he's a fucking color commentator.

No doubt, pretty classless. Just goes to show how far the UFC has to go. Plus nobody dresses like a champion. No wonder buys are dropping.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
06_Barboza_Etim_03.jpg

08_Palhares_Massenzio_03.jpg

10_Aldo_Mendes_07.jpg

xemumanic

You have a Dish. From what I can gather, Verizon is the only cable provider that even offers it.

My POS cable provider here in the Poconos (Blue Ridge Cable) has it, so does Cablevision. Its not that uncommon, its just that o one bothered to watch it at all. I mean, who had a reason to?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well god dammit, most of us don't have the fucking channel so we couldn't watch it if we wanted to. I'm happy for you and your cable provider though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom