• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC: Conor McGregor to fight Nate Diaz instead of Dos Anjos at 170 lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertM

Hmm McGregor at 170 might not be able to handle guys at Welterweight division, especially Diaz. Still betting money on McGregor.

Ryck

Thing is, Nate is not really a Welterweight fighter. He mostly fights at 155. The short notice is probably why this is set at Welterweight.

The more I think about this fight the more excited I get. It really is an interesting matchup.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Thing is, Nate is not really a Welterweight fighter. He mostly fights at 155. The short notice is probably why this is set at Welterweight.

The more I think about this fight the more excited I get. It really is an interesting matchup.

And Conor walks around at a similar size to Nate. So he would have been cutting from 170+ to 155 instead of his normal 170- to 145 cut.

Basically, neither of these guys is going to cut to make weight.

This is also interesting because with the new USADA testing policies, you can no longer rehydrate with IVs, because they test for plastic particles that leech from IVs in the blood because IVs are used in blood doping. It's part of the reason Conor is moving up in weight, because he cuts really hard, and it can be dangerous to rehydrate orally, because it's not as efficient. Kidney problems are very common.

Very interesting fight @ 170. Nate's problem at that weight class, and generally, is getting out-muscled by stronger guys in the clinch and on the ground. That's how the majority of his losses have come, and it's also why he left 170 back in the day. The Diaz brothers excel at fighting guys like McGregor who keep it standing and don't grapple much, and instead prefer to pepper and finish guys from the outside. It's exceedingly difficult to win a fight against a Diaz brother with a similar style.

Two things to keep an eye out for in this fight are Conor's kicks and Nate's ground game. Conor's kicking is what makes him such an unpredictable striker and opens up his hands, and if Nate's ego doesn't get the best of him and he doesn't insist on keeping it standing, he could well submit him. This is a winnable fight for Nate but I question how long he'd be able to keep it standing, even with his chin. Conor's left isn't going to be any weaker two weight classes above. Having said that, we also don't know how Conor can handle volume punching, and he's only fought past the 2nd round once in his career.

Fun times ahead.

Why don't you post in MMA-Gaf?

I think this will be a good fight. Regardless of how they act in front of the camera I think these guys respect each others fighting style.

My prediction is Conor with a left handed celtic cross KO in round 2.

Dr.Acula

Banned
This could be a mistake for Conner, this is so short sighted. UFC taking advantage because Conner has crazy confidence. He gets rocked and his fall could be on par with Ronda.

He can just go to 155 or 145. Losing at 170 won't be the end of the world for him.

edit: here's some tweets from @arielhelwani

Some backstory to a wild 24 hours: Nate Diaz was always the top choice here but getting below 165 on such short notice was one issue. They came back with 160 pounds but that was going to be an issue too so Diaz stood firm at 165 pounds. In the end, the weight or opponent never mattered to McGregor. That's the truth. So it was set. A couple hours go by... Plans now being made to get them together in LA tomorrow, which will happen. McGregor is on the phone with UFC execs.

McGregor adds one more note:

"Make it 170," he says. "Tell him to get comfortable."

The fight is made. At welterweight.

Honda didn't want to go up 10 lbs to fight Cyborg at catchweight, and here's Conor saying he don't give a fuck.

Ryck

"Make it 170," he says. "Tell him to get comfortable."

Wow...

Surely if Diaz fights at this weight regularly he's going to have 10 or 15 lbs on McGregor once they get into the ring, by the time he reinflates after the weigh-in?
Nate cuts to 155 he probably walks around at 170-175 maybe a tad more but not much more than that.

danthefan

Surely if Diaz fights at this weight regularly he's going to have 10 or 15 lbs on McGregor once they get into the ring, by the time he reinflates after the weigh-in?

Conor will have basically no weight to cut here surely? Imo this is an instance where his massive self belief is causing him to bite off more than he can chew.

Sean*O

He can just go to 155 or 145. Losing at 170 won't be the end of the world for him.

edit: here's some tweets from @arielhelwani

Honda didn't want to go up 10 lbs to fight Cyborg at catchweight, and here's Conor saying he don't give a fuck.

Difference being Cyborg wasn't fighting in the UFC, but your point stands.

NoTacos

Conor will have basically no weight to cut here surely? Imo this is an instance where his massive self belief is causing him to bite off more than he can chew.

They both walk around at the same weight, give or take 5 pounds. No more than 180 for the both of them, considering Conor's recent gains.

painey

you are only marketable as a fighter if you're winning. Conor has got some big balls to go up 25lbs from his usual fight weight to go against a journeyman like Diaz. If he loses, he has the excuse that it's not his weight class, but there will huge damage done to his brand over a fight he really doesn't need.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
you are only marketable as a fighter if you're winning. Conor has got some big balls to go up 25lbs from his usual fight weight to go against a journeyman like Diaz. If he loses, he has the excuse that it's not his weight class, but there will huge damage done to his brand over a fight he really doesn't need.

wait...diazes themselves are the exact counterexample to your point there, among many others. it's not boxing where unless you're undefeated you're an absolute scrub. and conor doesn't even have the invincible thing going either because he's lost before (to a scrub no less). don't see it as that huge of a risk really.

Should be a good striking fight. Conor has a better fight IQ than Nate and is very precise. Won't have to cut more than a few pounds either since his natural weight is 175ish. Even if he does lose, I bet he still has RDA at 200 for LW title. That superfight is still a huge draw and putting it on that card means way more $$$. Good decision from the UFC though, out of Diaz, Cerrone and Pettis, Diaz is the best draw. Trash talking, bigger name, exciting. Conor KOs Cerrone before the first round ends and Pettis easily gets outstruck.

dabig2

Conor also has millions of dollars to earn, so it's not exactly like there's no benefit to him.

Exactly. Mostly reward and little risk. He makes at least a million dollars from this fight and ,even if he loses, it makes no difference to his FW title or title shot at LW. So provided he doesn't get his face mashed in really bad or gets severely hurt in some manner, he'll be up for another big payday title fight at UFC 200 if he wants.

Calderc

I really, really like the Diaz brothers. I really, really, REALLY can't stand Conor and I want to see him get a humbling SO bad, but I just don't thick Diaz is the person to do it.

BadAss2961

wait...diazes themselves are the exact counterexample to your point there, among many others. it's not boxing where unless you're undefeated you're an absolute scrub. and conor doesn't even have the invincible thing going either because he's lost before (to a scrub no less). don't see it as that huge of a risk really.
I agree that he could recover from a loss here. It wouldn't compare to a Ronda level disaster.

But Conor is still a huge shit talker and marketed as a conqueror. He's the face of UFC now. Any loss would be a huge blow to that angle.

darscot

That press conference later today should be fun.

Anyone know the time or a link to the presser it should be epic!

I should also clarify a loss to Diaz would not be Ronda levels of a fall. My point was fighting is a very serious business and guys get hurt. It only takes one clean shot to destroy a guys chin. If Conor got KO and lost his chin taking this fight will be complete stupidity. I think the UFC needs to be a little more careful with their talent. Conor taking a loss and making a recovery is no big deal.

Nibiru

Banned
Personality wise this is an interesting fight but Nate is not Nick in that he has a much weaker chin. I think he gets ko'd BUT if Diaz can get him to the ground a submission would be possible. The more I think about it the cooler it gets lol.

I can't wait to see Holly fight again. Miesha has a great chin, good wrestling has a history of surprising people, so overall this card is pretty amazing.

Exactly. Mostly reward and little risk. He makes at least a million dollars from this fight and ,even if he loses, it makes no difference to his FW title or title shot at LW. So provided he doesn't get his face mashed in really bad or gets severely hurt in some manner, he'll be up for another big payday title fight at UFC 200 if he wants.

His belt isn't directly at risk but a nasty beating can completely neuter a fighter and change their style forever. Look at GSP before and after the Serra upset: he was never the same.

BadAss2961

I have a feeling Diaz is going drag him to the ground and sub him.

Hopefully it's a banger though, whoever wins.
Diaz Bros have too much pride in their boxing to play the grappler.. Nate's gonna stand and bang with him until he gets in trouble, no doubt. I'm sure he wants to prove himself the better striker.

Good news for Conor since he's in trouble if it goes to the ground.

FStop7

Banned
Again? Aldo tried ducking Conor but he couldn't run forever. Now it's Dos Anjos? Not a good look for them or for the sport.

Actually, 6 of Conor's last 12 opponents have ducked. Wow.

ApharmdX

Banned
They both have very good BJJ, you don't need to be a wrestler to have a very strong ground game.

Agreed but poster said Nate would drag him to the ground. I doubt it. Nate has good BJJ but he's not great at getting the fight to the ground.

Why do you people keep saying Diaz is a great trash talker?!

The dude barely speaks intelligible English.

Conor is gonna eat this dude up verbally and physically.

Chesskid1

Banned
people really overestimate how much a loss affects a fighter.

this is the fight game. you are expected to lose. it happens.

the things that make conor an interesting fighter won't go away. his personality. his style.

conor will handle a loss really well too, he always seems rather humble after a fight, thanking his opponent, etc.

ronda will do bigger numbers after her loss. she's even more interesting now.

I'm surprised people thought Dos Anjos was going to be some easy win. Have people seen the guy fight recently? He would have easily been the most dangerous opponent yet.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Weight class manipulation is carny as fuuuuuck

There's no manipulation. Diaz is a lightweight fighter who wasn't preparing to fight next week so he wouldn't be ready to make weight. This isn't a welterweight substituting for a featherweight, it's a not quite fight ready lightweight substituting for another lightweight.

I'm surprised people thought Dos Anjos was going to be some easy win. Have people seen the guy fight recently? He would have easily been the most dangerous opponent yet.
I thought it was 50/50. The longer it went, the more I think dos Anjos would be decisive. He'd maul Conor on the ground with elbows. Moreso than Mendez did. Dos Anjos' conditioning is second to none as well under Nick Curson. Diaz and Conor is an amusing matchup but unlike others, I'm not pumped for it nearly as much as the original fight.

jay23

Who was saying that? That person doesn't watch fights. Everyone was talking about how crazy it was for McGregor to go up to LW and challenge one of the hottest fighters in the UFC right now. Dos Anjos destroyed cowboy with ease I don't think anyone expected McGregor to have an easy win against him.

darscot

Who was saying that? That person doesn't watch fights. Everyone was talking about how crazy it was for McGregor to go up to LW and challenge one of the hottest fighters in the UFC right now. Does Anjos destroyed cowboy with ease I don't think anyone expected McGregor to have an easy win against him.

That Cowboy fight was really strange, Cowboy just didnt show up, I would love to know what lead up to that performance. Cowboy looked amazing the other night, I just don't think Dos Anjos is that good as Cowboy was so off.

That Cowboy fight was really strange, Cowboy just didnt show up, I would love to know what lead up to that performance. Cowboy looked amazing the other night, I just don't think Dos Anjos is that good as Cowboy was so off.
Level of competition, look at it in your examples. Dos Anjos beat the champion Pettis 5 rounds to 0. He's getting better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom