• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dana White Says Conor McGregor vs. Tony Ferguson Title Fight 'Has to Happen'

Dana White Says Conor McGregor vs. Tony Ferguson Title Fight 'Has to Happen'

UFC President Dana White has admitted a lightweight title unification showdown between Conor McGregor and Tony Ferguson "has to happen."

Ferguson won the interim lightweight crown at UFC 216 in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Saturday, as he forced Kevin Lee to submit in the third round of their bout.

And while McGregor's future plans remain unclear at this point, White said his priority would be getting the lightweight champion in the Octagon with Ferguson, not completing a trilogy with Nate Diaz.

"Nobody's talked about Diaz," he said, per Alexander Lee of MMA Fighting. "Diaz has never been talked about. That's internet bulls--t. Tony's the interim champion, Conor's the champion, that's the fight that makes sense. It's the fight that has to happen, it doesn't 'make sense,' it's the fight that has to happen."

There's a lot more at the link below.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...or-vs-tony-ferguson-title-fight-has-to-happen

Thoughts? Should it be a Diaz rematch, maybe go after Pac-Man or is Tony Ferguson the right fight?

Personally its got to be the Tony Ferguson match up for me.
Plus, I really want to see him get his arse kicked ;)

Dana will book whatever fight Conor wants him to book. What's he gonna do? Say no to Conor/Nate 3 if that's the money fight Mac wants?

DKehoe

Dana will book whatever fight Conor wants him to book. What's he gonna do? Say no to Conor/Nate 3 if that's the money fight Mac wants?

Diaz wants $20 million for that fight. They would have probably tried to make that fight if he was willing to accept a lot less than that.

SoundLad

Yea Conor really should defend the belt in December or very early 2018. If that's not the next fight for Conor then I'd be very disappointed.

However, I think Tony's performance at 216 wasn't his best. Definitely some holes in his stand up/striking and defending strikes.
If the fight against Conor goes more than 3 rounds it could very well be Tony's night but Conor will be very dangerous in the beginning rounds. Conor will pick him apart if they stay standing. I'm pretty sure Tony has an advantage on the ground though.

Cant wait

Braag

This should be a great fight. Tony really deserves the title shot too since he has cleaned up the division and there's only Conor left now.

Mediking

McG's future plans are unclear at this point? Of course. He doesn't care anymore. He got his money from Floyd. Nothing prolly seems entertaining to him anymore. He might try acting for the heck of it or get his own show.

We will see. If Conor wants Nate that's the fight they will make.

That said I'm not sure the Nate fight is the smartest route right now anyways. That figjt will always be there for them to pull out when they really need it and Conor needs to legitimize his belt.

Conor vs Ferguson is fun because I can easily envision a scenario where either wins. Ferguson has amazing cardio / pace / perseverance but get hit a ton in his fights which isn't great vs McGregor.

If Conor doesn't finish Tony in first 3 rounds I think Ferguson finishes him in the 4th or 5th

ApharmdX

Banned
LOL sure Dana. Let's get real. The fight that "has to happen" is the fight that Conor wants. No one cares about the LW belt or what's fair for Ferguson.

Yup, the UFC has little leverage here. Particularly with Ronda gone and Jon Jones out for the foreseeable future. Once they allowed the Mayweather fight and kept the LW belt in limbo for the better part of a year, they lost any kind of credibility.

Top Bottom