• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

I'm not saying I disagree, I'm saying if you totally ignore the psychology of the fighters and go from an exterior PoV there's plenty of reasons why he wouldn't rush the fight anyway.
From what I gathered Mayweather is known for being defensive and methodical, he didn't rush in like an idiot. From what I've seen it didn't seem like McGregor was ever going to get anywhere anyway, Mayweather's defense wasn't that needed considering how the opponent was fighting anyway.
If McGregor was hitting really hard even with the same stamina, I don't think Mayweather would have fought the way he did.

What you are describing is strategy, and not artificially extending the fight for the sake of the fans (who already paid their money), which is what you were trying to portray earlier.

Mael

What you are describing is strategy, and not artificially extending the fight for the sake of the fans (who already paid their money), which is what you were trying to portray earlier.

True, I'm also saying that even "doing it for the fans" is a better explanation than "someone was paid".

At least Breidis Prescott reversed that injustice.

(click for full fight all 30sec of it)

For sure, this is when the world found out he had a glass jaw.

image.php

I think it is god damn astounding that this obvious marketing/money first hackjob of a fight has people actually getting serious enough about it to think it was rigged. There was never a chance of Conor winning, just like Floyd would never have a chance against Conor in an MMA fight.

This is not to say the whole show wasn't entertaining.

Rousey vs Mayweather next. Followed by McGregor/Mayweather against Diaz/Pacman for the WWF Tag Team title

rambis

Banned
It was probably only "rigged" in the sense that Connor knew damn well he likely had no shot and still took everybody on his ride to a check. Its not his fault you fell for it.

Wallach

It was probably only "rigged" in the sense that Connor knew damn well he likely had no shot and still took everybody on his ride to a check. Its not his fault you fell for it.

what do you mean fell for it, I was happy to pay to watch McGregor get his ass beaten

DeathyBoy

Banned
I think it is god damn astounding that this obvious marketing/money first hackjob of a fight has people actually getting serious enough about it to think it was rigged. There was never a chance of Conor winning, just like Floyd would never have a chance against Conor in an MMA fight.

This is not to say the whole show wasn't entertaining.

Rousey vs Mayweather next. Followed by McGregor/Mayweather against Diaz/Pacman for the WWF Tag Team title

Nah, Brock vs Floyd. Dude's gotta break the streak of another broken down old bitch.

They allow suplexes in boxing, right?

KingV

Rematch but this time its a Formula 1 race.

Both are undefeated in formula 1, so I couldn't imagine higher stakes.

... I would pay to watch Mayweather fight Rousey in an MMA match though. One is fighting ina a sport he doesn't play and the other was exposed as a paper tiger, and is a woman.

Both are undefeated in formula 1, so I couldn't imagine higher stakes.

... I would pay to watch Mayweather fight Rousey in an MMA match though. One is fighting ina a sport he doesn't play and the other was exposed as a paper tiger, and is a woman.

You would pay money to watch a man beat up a woman?

So basically according to this, just about everyone in every fight that gets wobbly on their feet suffers a mild traumatic brain injury.

To an extent, yeah. You get rocked in the head enough and you're gonna have some trauma.

The hard part is knowing when to stop a fight because of it so it doesn't progress into something worse.

In addition to the little traumas adding up over time.

I know some of y'all want dramatic, hitting the floor knockouts but man is that rough on a body.

To an extent, yeah. You get rocked in the head enough and you're gonna have some trauma.

The hard part is knowing when to stop a fight because of it so it doesn't progress into something worse.

In addition to the little traumas adding up over time.

I know some of y'all want dramatic, hitting the floor knockouts but man is that rough on a body.

Sure, it's signs of concussion, which is a mild TBI.
Ye I get that. Im just saying its no different from any other time its happened. I agree with the stoppage. People just arent used to fights being stopped on the feet. Usually in UFC they are on the ground getting punched in the face when the ref stops it. But people do recover from the wobbles and win fights. Not that its a good thing to let the fight continue but I do think he could have kept going if he lasted that round.

Ye I get that. Im just saying its no different from any other time its happened. I agree with the stoppage. People just arent used to fights being stopped on the feet. Usually in UFC they are on the ground getting punched in the face when the ref stops it. But people do recover from the wobbles and win fights. Not that its a good thing to let the fight continue but I do think he could have kept going if he lasted that round.

I think in this case it was especially dangerous because Conor was clearly completely gassed, and could barely lift his arms let alone defend himself. Letting it continue would have been total incompetence from the ref. That fight was over.

So basically according to this, just about everyone in every fight that gets wobbly on their feet suffers a mild traumatic brain injury.

Yeah. The force of the hits are causing your brain to slam against the inside of your skull which causes your nervous system to go wonky for a bit and you lose control of your limbs or if the hit(s) are hard enough you get a total shut down aka a knock out.

Ducarmel

Modern era boxing as we know it have been around for 113 years we are used to seeing fights being stopped on the feet. We even see it in mma the nunes vs rousey fight was stopped with ronda on her feet wobbly.

Conner was not defending himself and barely could stand up straight the ref had to stop it.

Pretty much, it's just that Conor was wobbly for the 9th and 10th round which is prolonged exposure to punishment that could have turned something mild into a severe traumatic brain injury.

I think in this case it was especially dangerous because Conor was clearly completely gassed, and could barely lift his arms let alone defend himself. Letting it continue would have been total incompetence from the ref. That fight was over.
Yeah I agree. I dont even really know what I was getting at. The fight was over.

Yeah. The force of the hits are causing your brain to slam against the inside of your skull which causes your nervous system to go wonky for a bit and you lose control of your limbs or if the hit(s) are hard enough you get a total shut down aka a knock out.
Oh yeah. Last year I had myself a nasty TBI. I get it. I was just pointing out that this wasnt a special case.

Modern era boxing as we know it have been around for 113 years we are used to seeing fights being stopped on the feet. We even see it in mma the nunes vs rousey fight was stopped with ronda on her feet wobbly.

Conner was not defending himself and barely could stand up straight the ref had to stop it.
Yeah I agree. Im just saying that I think most people are not used to seeing it because I do think a good majority of Conor fans watching the fight dont watch boxing very much and it doesnt happen often in UFC.

WX3

The ref also stopped the fight because Conor was not throwing any punches in retaliation. Even if you are wobbly legged, if you want to keep going, you have to throw some offense in the mix now and again, and Conor didn't do that at all prior to the stoppage.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Scripted? So you think McGregor really had a chance but held back?

Rigged? As if McGregor didn't get a way with multiple illegal blows though out the fight?

Nope. Both McGregor and Mayweather knew that McGregor has no chance in hell. This the need to script it so both fighters come out looking good and make their $$$

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
You sure about that? A confident opinion would have stuck around and elaborated instead of driveby shitposting

100% sure. How confident are you that my opinion is not confident? I'm counting down the minutes until your reply.....

Top Bottom