• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather vs McGregor World Press Tour: July 11-14, 4 Cities, Open to the Public

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
It won't be as one sided as you are making it out to be.

Yes this is what I am hoping for.

Yes, it will be, people that have been throwing punches for the sake of boxing all of their lives have been reduced to this.

23vl4ivjpg.gif

BadFineChupacabra.gif

200.gif

200.gif

200.gif

18muvrq3hcdhogif.gif

floyd-mayweather-defense-3-1.gif

And if we go back further in his career

vs-Gatti-2-combo.gif

right-upper.gif

Everyone here posted is a champion, has held a belt. These aren't rank amateurs, yet they, through the course of their fights, were made to look like one against Floyd. Pinata number 50 in Conor is next.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
^ man is speaking some truth.

THE only way McGregor has a chance to win is to go all out in the first round and pray something connects.

Conor is a natural counterpuncher, so is floyd. However, floyd takes off fast against lefties. Conor won't have time to adjust to anything. Floyd is dictating what happens in the ring. Conor is going to look lost.

Moze

Banned
Of course, let's ignore that other Shane Mosley gif lel. Floyd very nearly got knocked down in that fight. Shane was on his way out in that fight too.

Moze

Banned
Because Shane Mosley and McGregor are equal talent boxers.

Where did i say that?

I had issue with the poster saying this:

Yes, it will be, people that have been throwing punches for the sake of boxing all of their lives have been reduced to this.

And posting cherry picked gifs making Mayweather look invincible from fights that Mayweather had some trouble in. Shane Mosley was the obvious one because he really rocked Floyd in the early rounds of that fight. Floyd did of course win comfortably in the end because Shane was an old man on his way out. He couldn't keep up the pace.

Syder

He will win at least a round, I have no doubt about that.
I'm sure people though Julio César Chávez Jr. would win one round against Canelo but nope.

Boxers losing all 12 rounds in a shutout unanimous decision is completely possible when there's such a gap in skill

Where did i say that?

And posting cherry picked gifs making Mayweather look invincible from fights that Mayweather had some trouble in. Shane Mosley was the obvious one because he really rocked Floyd in the early rounds of that fight. Floyd did of course win comfortably in the end because Shane was an old man on his way out. He couldn't keep up the pace.

I'm convinced a prime Shane would've knocked out Floyd.

kinggroin

Banned
Where did i say that?

But that doesn't follow given what he was originally quoting. That it won't be as one sided as people think. Which is countered with very compelling examples including fighters that are decorated boxing champions. This is about McGregor vs Mayweather, not...is Mayweather invincible.

Moze

Banned
But that doesn't follow given what he was originally quoting. That it won't be as one sided as people think. Which is countered with very compelling examples including fighters that are decorated boxing champions. This is about McGregor vs Mayweather, not...is Mayweather invincible.

So calling Conor 'Pinata number 50' is not suggesting Floyd is invincible and has run through his 49 fights? And what compelling arguments? Some cherry picked gifs?

Stop this nonsense about Mayweather being invincible and destroying all his opponents. There are fights in which Floyd has arguably lost. Is he going to lose this fight? Extremely unlikely but it is possible and would involve a ton of luck for Conor.

Hex

Banned
That's exactly what someone with an 8787 tattoo would say...

I laughed so fucking stupidly hard at this.

Edit: If it were MMA vs Boxing I would give it to Conor Mac.
I like Conor Mac for what he has accomplished and his no fucks attitude.
People will focus on the pre-event trash talk little realizing that it is like scripted lines in a movie, and ignore what he has accomplished and some of the good he does and you know what? It is what it is.
But I think Floyd will just be too quick with his hands.
I would love to at least see Conor catch him good once, give him his first knock down.
But if this goes past three it will be because of some shenanigans.

H1PSTER

I'm a huge McGregor mark but I know he won't win... I'm loving him getting a paycheck I think he deserves though and it will be interesting to see if he doesn't completely flop.

It didn't stop me putting a fiver on him winning though.

So calling Conor 'Pinata number 50' is not suggesting Floyd is invincible and has run through his 49 fights? And what compelling arguments? Some cherry picked gifs?

Stop this nonsense about Mayweather being invincible and destroying all his opponents. There are fights in which Floyd has arguably lost. Is he going to lose this fight? Extremely unlikely but it is possible and would involve a ton of luck for Conor.

Mayweather's defensive style doesn't allow for luck. Mayweather deciding to become a slugfest fighter for his 50th fight and trying to punish his way to victory would be Conor getting lucky.

Hex

Banned
If Conor somehow wins these threads will be absolutely hilarious to go back and read

People will scream that it was fixed for the rematch.

The only thing I will say that gives me even the slightest sliver of a thought that Floyd could go down is Anderson Silva.
If If iF IF Floyd gets cocky, and takes this too lightly like some WWE shit he could get caught and Conor only needs one.

I'm convinced a prime Shane had a toothache and couldn't fight Floyd because of it
Toothache thing is overblown, and by that time Shane was not in his prime with his back-to-back losses to Vernon in 2002.

Anything before that is a squash. Floyd claims he wanted to fight Shane in 99' but he was a nobody and had no draw.

The vast majority of boxing fans didn't know who Floyd was until he beat Corrales.

Tekniqs

That wasn't prime Shane. Just keepin' it real. :p

true true, but we can't deny that Shane decided to go to the dentist back when Floyd was calling for a fight.

Toothache thing is overblown, and by that time Shane was not in his prime with his back-to-back losses to Vernon in 2002.

Anything before that is a squash. Floyd claims he wanted to fight Shane in 99' but he was a nobody and had no draw.

The vast majority of boxing fans didn't know who Floyd was until he beat Corrales.

that never stopped people from saying Floyd was ducking Shane tho right? Never stopped them from claiming Floyd was scared of Mosley.
I agree though. Floyd was much too high of a risk for little reward back then.

Turin

Banned
If you're looking for the two guys in the weight range from the last 20 years who probably would've given Floyd his toughest challenge, here they are fighting each other in 2002.

Vernon Forrest vs Shane Mosley 2

Strangely, Shane was never the same after this, probably due to poor decision making with the way he trained at 154, and Vernon(RIP) was plagued by a shoulder injury for a long time.

Sadly, that fight was never realistic back then. Would've been something to see.

That wasn't a prime Floyd either

In 2006? Yes he was in his prime then. He also did a much better job at preserving himself throughout the years than Mosley did. He was the smarter professional at the end of the day.

true true, but we can't deny that Shane decided to go to the dentist back when Floyd was calling for a fight.

Sure but do you think he was afraid? I think Shane just wanted more time to get his body back to 147. His body looked really solid against Vargas.

He wouldn't have won around that time though, considering how he looked against Cotto.

Tekniqs

not saying Shane was afraid. I just like to cite it as a source for whenever people bring up the whole (IMO dumb) ducking claims. Shane probably made a sound decision for himself. At the time, Floyd wasn't a star just yet but was an elite boxer. High risk/low reward fight for Mosley.

I think Forrest would have given Floyd more trouble than Shane would have.

Turin

Banned
not saying Shane was afraid. I just like to cite it as a source for whenever people bring up the whole (IMO dumb) ducking claims. Shane probably made a sound decision for himself. At the time, Floyd wasn't a star just yet but was an elite boxer. High risk/low reward fight for Mosley.

I think Forrest would have given Floyd more trouble than Shane would have.

Yeah, healthy Forrest is a nightmare challenge for a lot of people.

KOMANI

KOMANI
If you're looking for the two guys in the weight range from the last 20 years who probably would've given Floyd his toughest challenge, here they are fighting each other in 2002.

Vernon Forrest vs Shane Mosley 2

Strangely, Shane was never the same after this, probably due to poor decision making with the way he trained at 154, and Vernon(RIP) was plagued by a shoulder injury for a long time.

Sadly, that fight was never realistic back then. Would've been something to see.

In 2006? Yes he was in his prime then. He also did a much better job at preserving himself throughout the years than Mosley did. He was the smarter professional at the end of the day.

Sure but do you think he was afraid? I think Shane just wanted more time to get his body back to 147. His body looked really solid against Vargas.

He wouldn't have won around that time though, considering how he looked against Cotto.
Yeah, I don't think of those years as Floyd's prime. Floyd's prime to me was a little earlier, when he was beating lightweights and junior welterweights. But that just goes to show you how good Foyd is, that we can disagree on when his prime years were.
Edit: I thought you were talking about Mosley vs Mayweather in 2010, not a hypothetical match. Around THAT time, Floyd was absolutely in his prime, calling out Mosley, Prince Naseem, Kosta Tszyu. It's Mosley's fault for the fight never happening in 2006, and that might've been better for Mosley, who had money problems down the line.
I also thought Mosley looked good against Cotto. That was a terrific fight to end the year with.

How can someone believe that the fight isn't going to be a circus is beyond me.

This whole promoting has been the proof if anyone had doubts.

Any outcome will have been pre-decided. Floyd may let Connor have a few rounds to make people think he has a chance but that's it. Even if Floyd loses (which I think is impossible simply because of his hubris of being THE BEST) it's only because he loves money more than his legacy. A loss will mean another fight and more money.

If people think this will be a genuine fight where both fighters want to prove their technical skill, you bought into the hype.

Imagine this: putting Tyson or Ali against another fighter (even a great one) in a boxing match. If you think they would lose, you are delusional.

that never stopped people from saying Floyd was ducking Shane tho right? Never stopped them from claiming Floyd was scared of Mosley.
I agree though. Floyd was much too high of a risk for little reward back then.
I personally think the claims of ducking from both camps are unwarranted.

Never understood it honestly considering their age range. Shane was already established after he beat ODLH in 2000, Floyd was still an unknown.

PopeReal

If Conor somehow wins these threads will be absolutely hilarious to go back and read

I would be one of the people quoted. I don't mind being wrong, my girlfriend tells me I am wrong all of the time.

I just don't see how a boxer, and by all accounts a great boxer (and douchebag), could lose to someone outside the sport.

kinggroin

Banned

I don't think Mayweather is invincible. Or that all his opponents have been a breeze. Connor is very likely going to be a pinata.

BadAss2961

Any outcome will have been pre-decided. Floyd may let Connor have a few rounds to make people think he has a chance but that's it. Even if Floyd loses (which I think is impossible simply because of his hubris of being THE BEST) it's only because he loves money more than his legacy. A loss will mean another fight and more money.

If people think this will be a genuine fight where both fighters want to prove their technical skill, you bought into the hype.

Imagine this: putting Tyson or Ali against another fighter (even a great one) in a boxing match. If you think they would lose, you are delusional.
What?

The promoting is mostly bullshit, but the fight will be real. Conor is going to try to win... Floyd's not going to let him have a few rounds -- once the bell rings, he already has your money.

sam777

Pre-decided? Don't be ridiculous.

Chumley

Banned

Like with the Eddie Alvarez fight. The number of people I saw on here saying Conor has no chance, he's never faced someone like this, this is an entirely new level, he's shook, etc.

They all just fucking vanished. The crow eating was too much to bear. Same thing will happen here.

Moze

Banned
Mayweather's defensive style doesn't allow for luck. Mayweather deciding to become a slugfest fighter for his 50th fight and trying to punish his way to victory would be Conor getting lucky.

Again, Floyd is not invincible. It is possible to land a clean shot on him and KO him. His defence is very good, but Conor can land a clean shot and KO him. That can absolutely happen. Likely? No. Possible? Yes. That's pretty much Conor's only chance. He needs to somehow get a lucky shot in.

All the press stuff has been ridiculous so far, they might as well have the fight on the main event of WWE Monday Night RAW.

I'm actually wanting McGregor to win just for the shock upset though, that will be fun times. But they are both tough bastards, so it could possibly be a decent fight if they both bring their A game.

Like with the Eddie Alvarez fight. The number of people I saw on here saying Conor has no chance, he's never faced someone like this, this is an entirely new level, he's shook, etc.

They all just fucking vanished. The crow eating was too much to bear. Same thing will happen here.
Really bad comparison.
They were both MMAers.
That's the difference.

Top Bottom