• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

KingV

lol let's put them both in American Gladiator and see what happens.

I figure Conor takes Atlas Sphere, but Mayweather is surprisingly good with the nerf cannon at assault and Conor's unfamiliarity with American football proves detrimental to his performance at powerball.

It looks pretty spotty for McGregor heading into the eliminator, but Mayweather gets DQ'es for Punching Siren backstage and saying that he's going to have turbo make him a Cannoli and a plate of spaghetti.

An interesting point of discussion would be if Mayweather (closer to his prime) could hold his own in the octagon at all. I think if he had some proper training he could maybe hold his own against other standup fighters, but not so much against submission/takedown guys. He'd have to learn a lot though

The guys at Floyd's natural weight class are all some of the best wrestlers, so he would have had to have an entirely different career path/development to avoid being wrestlefucked.

commedieu

Banned
Everything about Conor was sloppy in this fight. He can't box for shit and only got 1 round because Mayweather gave it to him. He deserves no respect for this fight at all. Shockingly bad to the point it was laughable.

I can't see how anybody can watch this fight and give Conor any respect as a boxer at all. Floyd could have easily ended this much earlier if he wanted.

That's the thing. His boxing was garbage + maywhether let him win rounds to exhaust him.

That's a hell of a participation trophy, to give him props for it.

But some people need that. I'm a conor fan, I thought he was pretending to be tired lol. Just waiting for the big slobberknocker. Then his face got red and his arms stopped working...

He's a top athlete. And one he'll of a ufc fighter. That didn't translate into boxing. I can sleep knowing that. I'd give him wins if he and may whether were punching it out. But there was no exchange for the rounds he won*.

*that maywhether decided he should get.

KingV

A boxer at that age can never go to MMA and succeed. Anyone with an ounce of critical thought would understand why.

MMA fighters train in boxing as part of their normal routine.

Boxers train in nothing that has to do with MMA outside of striking.

The footwork needed to protect against kicks and takedowns in MMA is so incredibly different than boxing that you'd have to go against everything you've ever trained for to make the change.

Unless you had previous wrestling experience or at least kickboxing or muay thai training previously you have ZERO chance against anyone who's trained purely MMA for years.

A MMA fighter is a least using part of their training they've already had to go into boxing. A boxer is having to relearn EVERYTHING.

I agree with that.

It seems to go pretty much both ways though. While technically true that an MMA fighter has some experience with boxing, that's literally all a boxer trains for. No matter what I don't expect an MMA guy to make up the difference of literally a lifetime of training in 6 or 8 months.

This goes for almost anything played at a high level. Your athletic ability, coordination, etc is only going to take you so far in a sport that's not your primary focus. I think you could take any MMA fighter and put them in a boxing ring against somebody good and find them looking bad, and vice versa.

It's only the average fans that think "in both sports people fight, so you can cross back and forth no problem".

Dmented

Banned
Everything about Conor was sloppy in this fight. He can't box for shit and only got 1 round because Mayweather gave it to him. He deserves no respect for this fight at all. Shockingly bad to the point it was laughable.

I can't see how anybody can watch this fight and give Conor any respect as a boxer at all. Floyd could have easily ended this much earlier if he wanted.

Pretty much.

Floyd did what Floyd does. Just cause this dude ain't a boxer doesn't mean Floyd is gonna act stupid all of the sudden. What if you had a Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman 1 type situation, Floyd acting all stupid and cocky and then gets KO'd? He'd look like a real fucking moron. 49-1 to a fucking nobody. A nobody in boxing that is. It would be more understandable if he was an actual boxer.

Floyd played his game and he played it right, like he always does, and will continue to do. Study, play it safe, and score.

bionic77

At most he won the first round, that's about it.
i would give him the first 3 rounds.

Not because he did much, just because Floyd was basically just doing nothing and figuring out how to win the fight.

After round 3 I don't recall Conor winning a single round.

Oersted

Saying Gregor won first 3 rounds feels so wrong.

Floyd let him come, McGregor had nothing to offer. Besides some illegal punches.

jabuseika

40 year old boxer speed vs MMA fighter's jab.

giphy.gif

Precision and movement.

giphy.gif

I'd say he won 2 rounds, 3 if I'm feeling generous. It just sort of feels like there's a progressively growing attitude here where giving Conor any props means your some casual/uneducated fan, which makes me uncomfortable and makes for a potentially toxic environment.

Different strokes I guess. I just see it differently, this credit is being even and this illusion exists because Floyd was just walking toward with a high guard not doing much of anything. I'm sure if you were in the ring with Floyd and he had that setup against you and just started to swing, you look "good" too.

At the end of the day, most of the narrative was Conor has power and he can punch. In that ring Conor couldn't crack an egg with those arm punches. It's like the MMA punching power just doesn't translate. I have no problem giving credit where it's due, it's just at the very basic level "punching power" that didn't even exist in this fight for him. But I'm supposed to champion that landed arm punches against an inactive Mayweather with a high guard who bet on himself to KO Conor in 9.5 rounds?

Personally I just wasn't impressed and I didn't expect him to do anything really.

Tekniqs

To this day I still can't believe Mayweather didn't go down from that

you can just see how well trained he is. His gloves immediately goes up to block the follow up punches. Instead of trying to gain distance to recover, he moves closer to smother Shane's punches.

Sephzilla

The guys at Floyd's natural weight class are all some of the best wrestlers, so he would have had to have an entirely different career path/development to avoid being wrestlefucked.

Yeah, good point. It would be a very different career path. I just wonder if his ridiculous punch speed and reaction time (see below) would help him avoid a lot of that.

Even at his current age his hands are so quick, it's nuts.

ApharmdX

Banned

That's a hot take. I mean, Mayweather fought Pacquiao and Canelo and made them look foolish. He fought Shane Mosley and, outside of that one monster shot that Mosley landed, made him look like an amateur.

Should we not give these guys any respect because Floyd easily beat them?

Making your pro boxing debut against the greatest boxer of his generation, even at 40, is deserving of respect. McGregor landed a few shots early. He was outclassed but it was still a fun fight to watch.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
That's a hot take. I mean, Mayweather fought Pacquiao and Canelo and made them look foolish. He fought Shane Mosley and, outside of that one monster shot that Mosley landed, made him look like an amateur.

Should we not give these guys any respect because Floyd easily beat them?

Making your pro boxing debut against the greatest boxer of his generation, even at 40, is deserving of respect. McGregor landed a few shots early. He was outclassed but it was still a fun fight to watch.

I don't think Floyd was actively fucking around in those fights like he was here

Next

So he went 10 rounds against the best in the world and that's somehow bad? Please. Conor did well for someone who has 0 professional boxing fights. Put Mayweather in an mma fight and he lasts about 2 minutes.

jabuseika

Even at his current age his hands are so quick, it's nuts.

See's McG uppercut windup. Doesn't flinch at the jab. Doesn't telegraph. Judges the distance just right so the punch hits at the absolute max power.

So he went 10 rounds against the best in the world and that's somehow bad? Please. Conor did well for someone who has 0 professional boxing fights. Put Mayweather in an mma fight and he lasts about 2 minutes.

Put Usain Bolt on the high jump... that's a ridiculous argument.
Floyd's not trying to prove anything, he's one of the best boxers in history.
McG looked good in MMA striking terms, but abysmal in boxing terms.
Floyd coasted 5 rounds, and won when he wanted it.

I do think Floyd made the fight last that long to make McGregor look good and make the fight seem more plausible/fun to watch. He barely threw any punches at all in the early rounds. He easily could have won in the first 3 rounds if he wanted to.
This is my thinking too. There was one round, either the second or third, where the announcer even said "Floyd has only thrown six punches so far in this round". He was feeling McGregor out and dragging the fight out I think. Once McGregor was gassed, it seemed like Floyd was like: "Ok, I'll just go on and end this right now" and ref stopped the fight after Floyd was clearly going to KO McGregor.

Yeah. People keep saying he did well early on. It's like they've never seen Floyd fight. Floyd was in control and was obviously letting the dude wear himself out. Conor looked like a bum in that ring.

An interesting point of discussion would be if Mayweather (closer to his prime) could hold his own in the octagon at all. I think if he had some proper training he could maybe hold his own against other standup fighters, but not so much against submission/takedown guys. He'd have to learn a lot though

The point is this: these are 2 different sports. MMA rewards well-roundedness and generalizing of skills, while boxing rewards orthodoxy and hyper-specialization.

In order to become good in transitioning from one sport to another, you need a good deal of experience and working your way up (see Holly Holm). And at that point, you are no longer a boxer doing MMA, you become a proper MMA fighter.

(Note: Holm was actually an amateur kickboxer before her pro boxing career even started. So, she already had a martial arts background beforehand.)

Mister Wolf

Yeah. People keep saying he did well early on. It's like they've never seen Floyd fight. Floyd was in control and was obviously letting the dude wear himself out. Conor looked like a bum in that ring.

Thats because he has never used that style before. I've been watching him fight since the Corrales fight. Him marching forward with the turtle shell stance blocking punches with his gloves and forearms was new. Reminded me of how Winky Wright used to fight. If he has done that before it was only used sparingly.

the210

The whole boxing vs mama thing doesn't really make since because boxing has a path to victory that doesn't require you to hurt your opponent or physically dominate them. A boxer like Floyd can out class you with his speed and movement but that's not going to help him in mma. The only boxers that would have a chance in mma are the knockout artists. They maybe able to knock a fighter out before that get taken to the floor.

The whole boxing vs mama thing doesn't really make since because boxing has a path to victory that doesn't require you to hurt your opponent or physically dominate them. A boxer like Floyd can out class you with his speed and movement but that's not going to help him in mma. The only boxers that would have a chance in mma are the knockout artists. They maybe able to knock a fighter out before that get taken to the floor.

There are absolutely point fighters in MMA both on the feet and on the ground and can beat guys using technical prowess and quickness. Dom Cruz reigned over a division doing this.

Way less, people tune in expecting mayweather to finally lose due to him talking so much shit.

He isn't making 100 million but I think he could clear significantly more than his next UFC payday will be, regardless of opponent.

He could clear 500-750k buys at the top of a card against a can, methinks.

m3k

i know mayweather has had some flimsy title defences or avoiding some fights but for him to be happy with a ufc fighter as his 50th win must play on him somehow

i know mayweather has had some flimsy title defences or avoiding some fights but for him to be happy with a ufc fighter as his 50th win must play on him somehow

If he didn't fight him the narrative would have been he is scared or dodging him.

jabuseika

Wow dude...what a clown ass statement.

"40 year old boxer speed "

Yeah man...just some ordinary 40 year old boxer...not like one of the best boxers of all time or anything.

What's wrong? He's 40 years old. He's not as fast as he used to be. He's still leagues faster than McG.

Saying Conor deserves no respect for that fight is a Skip Bayless level bad hot take

Yeah I wouldn't go that far. Props to getting in the ring for a sport he is clearly uncomfortable performing in

But his performance stunk. It became painfully aware at the first round alone that Floyd was letting him have his fun for a bit to save the fight

What in the hell at the hammer fists though. That was just embarrassing

Its nothing serious but a lot of loud mouths have been calling for shit like that. Its nonsense but I have to both laugh and shake my head at the same time. It feels like people watched a whole different fight at times.

It's because the public at large ate this shit up. I didn't watch the fight because it was nothing more than a hyped spectator event, but apparently I was in the minority here. Every single boxing person who I've seen speak on this has stated Floyd basically gave Conor the first three rounds. The difference of opinion is that it might have been to let Conor punch himself out, to feel Conor's style out out or to make the fight appear like more than a hyped shit show. I have a feeling it was all three.

The only thing people should have taken from that fight is that the two sports are not at all compatible. Boxing is an art and so is MMA but the crossover is far to minimal. If an MMA guy goes to box he will get worked and vice versa. It just is what it is.

The public saw three garbage rounds and thought, "Conor has a shot" when he never did. Now I gotta read ESPN article and shit suggesting other MMA vs Boxing combos and I just roll my eyes. It's money though and apparently people are willing to spend it on this shit.

Top Bottom