• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxer Floyd Mayweather called Conor McGregor a gay slur (the f one)

I would expect nothing less from Mayweather. He is the poster-child for "Money can't buy you class."

I wonder why so many seem to idolize him when he really is just a talking ATM. He has zero personality and verbally defends himself by talking about his money.

I will not be contributing to increasing either of these asshole's bank accounts.

For me, I like boxing over MMA because I don't like how violent mma is. I'm sure if I watched MMA more I'd get an appreciation for it, but as a casual observer I hate it, makes me uncomfortable to watch a guy get pinned on the ground and then get his head bashed in with elbows till he passes out.

I know what you're saying but organisations such as the UFC try to call fights before anyone is beaten unconscious these days,unless it's a bad refereeing decision and I would argue that a gruelling boxing match is worse on the fighter than an average mma fight, especially since boxing has the standing 8 count where mma usually calls a fight if someone takes a big enough hit.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
https://youtu.be/zQ37lyT6u8Y?t=1m27s

He called Joe Frazier an Uncle Tom repeatedly, and a gorilla. He said some really really nasty things.

But he's an inspiration, and Mayweather & McGregor deserve to literally die. Got it.

The way Ali treated Joe Frazier was totally unacceptable. But to be fair he did apologize for it later in life and Joe accepted it. But I think if you look at Ali's life and career as a whole it's easy to see why he would be considered an inspiration. Saying Mayweather or McGregor deserve to die is really dumb though.

Boxing does demonstrably worse shit to fighters brains than MMA does. For all its brutality, MMA is actually safer.

If a MMA fighter is concussed, the fight is immediately called off more often than not. In boxing, the concussed fighter gets a standing 8 count to recover and then can continue to take more blows.
The way Ali treated Joe Frazier was totally unacceptable. But to be fair he did apologize for it later in life and Joe accepted it. But I think if you look at Ali's life and career as a whole it's easy to see why he would be considered an inspiration. Saying Mayweather or McGregor deserve to die is really dumb though.
Same can be said for McGregor. He still has lots of time left in his career and will most likely regret some of his words and apologize down the road, and can be considered an inspiration as well for all of his accomplishments. I just can't stand when people look back at the fighters of the past through rose-colored glasses and claim that the ones of today are much nastier than their heroes like Tyson and Ali.

I would expect nothing less from Mayweather. He is the poster-child for "Money can't buy you class."

I wonder why so many seem to idolize him when he really is just a talking ATM. He has zero personality and verbally defends himself by talking about his money.

I will not be contributing to increasing either of these asshole's bank accounts.

The US heavy weight champ has a lot less class I find, personally, but he's not nearly as famous.

I think it's the highlight reels that turn me away from MMA, which are almost always a guy throwing another guy to the ground and beating the piss out of his head until he's knocked out. The highlight reels of boxing show mostly the same, big time knockouts, but we all know the reality of big prize fights today.

It's like how evidence indicates how repeated small hits to the head can be more damaging than single, big hits in the NFL. I don't shudder watching the oline and dline hook up every play, but I shudder at the big hits from a safety to a defenseless WR, even though there's decent evidence that the repeated small hits to the head cause more trauma than the occasional big ones.

I don't have anything against MMA it's just not a sport that I like to watch because of that. I can convince myself that small repeated blows to the head are worse, but I shudder at the big blows you see to defenseless fighters even if they're scientifically not as damaging as the small repeated blows. I've got nothing against the sport, competitors, fans, etc of mma, I just don't enjoy it because of that.

Tom_Cody

If a MMA fighter is concussed, the fight is immediately called off more often than not. In boxing, the concussed fighter gets a standing 8 count to recover and then can continue to take more blows.
Standing 8 counts have been virtually eliminated from boxing, but your larger point in true.

Prolonged beatings over a greater number of rounds over longer careers. Not good for the brain.

Navid

This. I never wanted a double KO so much.

Unfortunately you are instead probably going to get two guys running around the ring throwing jabs at each other for 12 rounds and a win by decision... and a massive paycheck for both of them.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Same can be said for McGregor. He still has lots of time left in his career and will most likely regret some of his words and apologize down the road, and can be considered an inspiration as well for all of his accomplishments. I just can't stand when people look back at the fighters of the past through rose-colored glasses and claim that the ones of today are much nastier than their heroes like Tyson and Ali.

That is true. Tyson was especially nasty.

Turin

Banned
I don't get these reaction threads. Turns out, if you beat the shit out of people for a living, you are predisposed to being an asshole. Who could have guessed.
Just realise they ain't role models and enjoy the spectacle.

Not really. Actually, that's bullshit.

Hmmm...we might want to examine that further.

Boxing as a sport is entertainment, but is it art? Can I enjoy it like I enjoy a great film that stars an actor who is a terrible person?

Sure. You can still appreciate a fighters craft at the highest level. This is a circus show though.

I've pretty much rooted against Floyd every time he fights. As someone who likes to box for fun, I'll watch replays and analyze his skills and timing. Basically separating that aspect from the person.

To what extent is the event about the kinds of opinions the athletes represent? To what extent is it about anything else? Who else benefits from it?

Depends on the fighter, I suppose. And his level of fame and influence.

They're millionaires no matter what, but is a boxing match about pleasing fans or satisfying their egos? How many people are expecting a good boxing match?

Very few that actually know anything about combat sports.

I don't know about you, but when I watch a sporting event, I like to root for one side or the other. I don't know if I could root for Roger Federer on Sunday if I heard he was a racist.

I hear you there.

So what is "the event" that you couldn't get from any other such event? Is Floyd Mayweather's talent as a boxer really so profound that you would root for him knowing he called someone that word?

No. At least no one should. But alas.....

Boxing does demonstrably worse shit to fighters brains than MMA does. For all its brutality, MMA is actually safer.

True.

Some people root for Mayweather because he's such a heel. They love someone who is filthy rich and flaunts it, but who is also a great competitor. I hate Mayweather and hope he loses every fight but still appreciate his talent.

Then there's also the betting component... Boxing and gambling are forever linked. People root for Mayweather also because he's won them a lot of money. I mean, spectators cheered Tyson after he raped a girl.

Are we gonna have a thread every time they say something controversial?

I mean, rock on if that's the case but that's just playing into exactly what they want from these press conferences.

This shit is starting to feel like an eastern front situation: two abhorrent shit sides, and a whole lot of assholes making excuses for one or the other.
Put a bomb under the ring and have it blow when the bell rings. Net positive for humanity.

Ascenion

I mean seriously? The only people that let this bother them must not know the decidedly worse shit Floyd has done. Dropping the f word is tame compared to beating the shit out of his ex wife while being a pro boxer which makes the worst thing some how more awful. That's why when people were feeling sorry for Floyd over the "boy" comment I laughed inside, saying they must not know.

Feel sorry for Floyd because he reads probably below the level of your 6 year old kid. Floyd is a shit human being. Literal trash, but with the fuck you money he has nothing you criticize him for will ever matter. Conor isn't too far from it. I've known that for a while, but this fight to me is bigger than that, it's the culmination of what fees like a 5 year hype cycle and as shitty as it will be I refuse to miss it. So I've thrown down $300 so my entire immediate family and I can all watch the shit show.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;243492291 said:
I hope they both just end each other.

Not their careers, but their lives.

Like they literally kill each other in the boxing ring.

Be the animals they claim to be, uncivilized things.
This post is amusing to me because you probably think you're a better person than the two fighters in this match, and you're not.

Maybe he's finally getting some reading lessons. This is still clearly a challenge for him but it's a lot better than during the 50 cent beef.

"I sacrificed so much of my life, can I at least get laid?"

"I wish one of you guys had children so I could kick them in the head or stomp on their testicles. Because that's the pain that I have."

"I only interview with women that I fornicate with."

lmao

Oh and don't forget this one, where he threatens to fuck a guy in the ass, drops the f bomb, and then threatens to eat out his asshole: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIhHZuwIsvs

He actually said that he would eat his asshole alive!

Thats a important little detail.

Boney

Banned
I think this is toxic both in terms of masculinity and sexuality. But I wonder if more accepted terms like "pussy" or even "dick" will start to be phased out of the acceptability spectrum. They're a lot more general but no less toxic.

I never liked this idiot, but it generally hurts when your favourite contact sports athletes come out as horrible people, and that's not really a rare occurrence ;( Maybe I should watch golf instead.

*sniff*. Tiger Woods broke my heart, man. He was supposed to be the chosen one...

Imm0rt4l

It's 2017. We need a better class of boxer.
tumblr_m8a1ds0tYc1qako9l.gif

Dehnus

I don't get these reaction threads. Turns out, if you beat the shit out of people for a living, you are predisposed to being an asshole. Who could have guessed.
Just realise they ain't role models and enjoy the spectacle.

Oh come on, if this was the N word you'd be crying foul here. Just like the N word, gay people have heard this word thrown at them all the fucking time. In fact they only have to play an online game and hear it like 50 times in an average match. Just like the N word it was : Painted on their houses, used in their faces, used by celebrities on daily TV (even till this day), used while they were being beaten up and even killed.

So yes it's just as bad a word and Floyd Mayweather should know better. There simply is no excuse. But hey, I'm sure us gay people just have to grow a "thicker hide". I didn't care for this fight, but now? I just hope they both drop with a seizure after the first blow to each other's head.

I can't stand dickheads like this.

Sigh, we need a new Muhammed Ali really, someone who could rhyme and joke while making fun of his opponent without looking like a total douchebag.

Mayweather and McGregor are making both their respective sports look like a joke, regardless of how skilled they are. The quicker this is over and the quicker the two men are forgotten the better.

cucuchu

I have not been following the media response to the pressers... What exactly is everyone saying McGregor did that is racist? Was it the 'Dance for me boy' bit? That is something I could see him saying to anyone on stage dancing around throwing phantom punches like Mayweather was doing.

Edit: Just read some of his comments after that and yeah some of that filth was clearly racist. I guess in that light it shows where his head was with 'dance for me boy'.

https://youtu.be/zQ37lyT6u8Y?t=1m27s

He called Joe Frazier an Uncle Tom repeatedly, and a gorilla. He said some really really nasty things.

But he's an inspiration, and Mayweather & McGregor deserve to literally die. Got it.

Ok I'll rescind my words when these two, apoligize for shit they are doing in 2017.

This post is amusing to me because you probably think you're a better person than the two fighters in this match, and you're not.

Sorry I took so long to respond to this, I was busy being a bigoty abusive person.

No, wait, I'm not mayweather or mcgregor.

BunnyBear

That's my point, Samar. That's exactly the point I'm making.

You're paying $100 to a racist homophobe and... another racist (who may or may not be a homophobe).

So that they can lamely beat on each other (in a disappointing fashion) for a few minutes before the contest ends prematurely because it's a fucking carny sham of a sporting event.

If you're going to spend money on ambulatory large intestines dripping shit from a slit in their heads, there are other entertainment options that will at least, in the most cynical of reasonings, return some enjoyment for that investment.

That's the point, Samar. You don't have to spend money on garbage people, but if you're bound and determined to tuck your C-note in the thong of a fucking horrid waste of skin, there are options that will at least provide a decent show.

In a calendar year where almost nothing has gone as expected worldwide, why do you act so sure? You're setting yourself up to look an absolute clown. It's embarrassing.

You're discounting word of mouth. Just by talking about the fight, more people will tune in.
I'm going to it just because I heard it's the biggest fight of the century. Rins may not watch it, but Rins will talk about it.

This poster gets it.

Still a staged sham of a fight imo.

You're setting yourself up to look an absolute clown.

You think being wrong about a fight on the internet is all it takes to look like an "absolute clown?"

Jesus Christ.

Even if I do end up being wrong about the quality of this fight (and I'm not gonna be), so fuckin' what. It's the off-topic side of a gaming forum. 9/10ths of you guys are completely anonymous and don't talk to anyone else anywhere else but here. So the only people who are going to think I'm a clown are the people in this particular peanut gallery, and even then, it's gonna get forgotten for the most part in less than 2 days at most because the worst that happened is one loudmouth hobbit on the internet at one gaming forum guessed wrong about the entertainment level of a carny sham perpetrated by two repugnant pieces of shit.

If that's all it takes to attain Absolute Clownhood then I already have an entire closet filled with blousy polka-dotted pants and giant-ass shoes.

In a calendar year where almost nothing has gone as expected worldwide, why do you act so sure? You're setting yourself up to look an absolute clown. It's embarrassing.

The only "clowns" are going to be the people who will live the rest of their life knowing they fell for the biggest con in sports history. I don't give a damn if you're so rich that 100 dollars is like a penny to you, would you willingly give a penny away to someone who is screaming in your face that they are trying to con you?

You will be a part of an infamous club in the annals of history alongside all those people who fell for the Nigerian e-mail scam and people who thought pyramid schemes were a good business opportunity. Enjoy.

We don't matter to Bobby. :(

You matter, Spatula!

Bam Bam matters! Hell, he ate like 30 tons of shit after the Warriors blew that 3-1 lead, right? Chowed it all down.

Dude's still here.

Not a clown. Just a guy still contributing to the community. Apparently not all that scared about whether or not the anonymous denizens of NeoGAF think he's "cool" enough to hang out with 'em or not.

BunnyBear

You think being wrong about a fight on the internet is all it takes to look like an "absolute clown?"

Jesus Christ.

Even if I do end up being wrong about the quality of this fight (and I'm not gonna be), so fuckin' what. It's the off-topic side of a gaming forum. 9/10ths of you guys are completely anonymous and don't talk to anyone else anywhere else but here. So the only people who are going to think I'm a clown are the people in this particular peanut gallery, and even then, it's gonna get forgotten for the most part in less than 2 days at most because the worst that happened is one loudmouth hobbit on the internet at one gaming forum guessed wrong about the entertainment level of a carny sham perpetrated by two repugnant pieces of shit.

If that's all it takes to attain Absolute Clownhood then I already have an entire closet filled with blousy polka-dotted pants and giant-ass shoes.

I'm cringing. You're trying so hard. Just stop. Pls. I bet you were one of the people who thought Hillary was a certainty, and that Diaz had no chance. Though maybe not because you clearly lack knowledge on either boxing or MMA.

Someone with your lack of self-awareness shouldn't be casting judgement on anyone.

Top Bottom