• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxer Floyd Mayweather called Conor McGregor a gay slur (the f one)

You're discounting word of mouth. Just by talking about the fight, more people will tune in.
I'm going to it just because I heard it's the biggest fight of the century. Rins may not watch it, but Rins will talk about it.

So you subscribe to "any publicity is good publicity"?

A presser that doesn't insult specific groups of people might have made them more money.

You said the entire event is trash. People can be against homophobic slurs and still watch the event.

Two bigots are going to get paid 100s of millions to put on what is 99% guaranteed to not be a good fight.

It's absolutely not being on a high horse to think the event is going to be trash.

Does anyone actually believe this trash?

Take a look at WWE, this is the same shit

All staged to boost publicity and make tons more cash, they already know who will win

RinsFury

You're discounting word of mouth. Just by talking about the fight, more people will tune in.
I'm going to it just because I heard it's the biggest fight of the century. Rins may not watch it, but Rins will talk about it.

Why do you keep making assumptions about what I will do? My nearest involvement with this will be learning the outcome from the gaf thread created after the fight.

Floyd dropping the hard f slur isn't the genius Vegas promotional move that you think it is.

So you subscribe to "any publicity is good publicity"?

A presser that doesn't insult specific groups of people might have made them more money.

haha. Yeah, I guess I have a subscription to that mag.
It's true though. That's how Trump got elected. He was a boxing, WWE guy.
It's all about the hype.

Speevy

Banned
You said the entire event is trash. People can be against homophobic slurs and still watch the event.

Hmmm...we might want to examine that further.

Boxing as a sport is entertainment, but is it art? Can I enjoy it like I enjoy a great film that stars an actor who is a terrible person?

To what extent is the event about the kinds of opinions the athletes represent? To what extent is it about anything else? Who else benefits from it?

They're millionaires no matter what, but is a boxing match about pleasing fans or satisfying their egos? How many people are expecting a good boxing match?

I don't know about you, but when I watch a sporting event, I like to root for one side or the other. I don't know if I could root for Roger Federer on Sunday if I heard he was a racist.

So what is "the event" that you couldn't get from any other such event? Is Floyd Mayweather's talent as a boxer really so profound that you would root for him knowing he called someone that word?

Mr.Shrugglesツ;243492291 said:
I hope they both just end each other.

Not their careers, but their lives.

Like they literally kill each other in the boxing ring.

Be the animals they claim to be, uncivilized things.
ummmmmm

PsychBat!

Banned
Latest page in the thread and there is still someone putting out that dumb hot take about manipulating people to see the fight.

"Joke's on you, they were only pretending to be fucking scumbags hahahaha"

Mr.Shrugglesツ;243492291 said:
I hope they both just end each other.

Not their careers, but their lives.

Like they literally kill each other in the boxing ring.

Be the animals they claim to be, uncivilized things.
It's like people ITT are desperately fighting to be the most outraged by two idiots saying stupid shit (though the jury's still out on how 'stupid' it is. Look at people saying 'I wanna see this guy get ktfo. Selling the fight, via underhanded means).

Why do you keep making assumptions about what I will do? My nearest involvement with this will be learning the outcome from the gaf thread created after the fight.

Floyd dropping the hard f slur isn't the genius Vegas promotional move that you think it is.

Lol. You'll be watching the Gaf live thread. It will be amazing.

Chumley

Banned
Hmmm...we might want to examine that further.

Boxing as a sport is entertainment, but is it art? Can I enjoy it like I enjoy a great film that stars an actor who is a terrible person?

To what extent is the event about the kinds of opinions the athletes represent? To what extent is it about anything else? Who else benefits from it?

They're millionaires no matter what, but is a boxing match about pleasing fans or satisfying their egos? How many people are expecting a good boxing match?

I don't know about you, but when I watch a sporting event, I like to root for one side or the other. I don't know if I could root for Roger Federer on Sunday if I heard he was a racist.

So what is "the event" that you couldn't get from any other such event? Is Floyd Mayweather's talent as a boxer really so profound that you would root for him knowing he called someone that word?

For me it's pretty simple. I like Conor. I think he fucked up big time with the racist remark and his past use of racist remarks, but he's my age, and I still hope (maybe in vain) that some day soon he realizes what he's been saying and apologizes. I'm not really prepared to write him off yet as a racist deep down in the fiber of his being. I think he's been caught up in fame and the fight game for the bulk of his 20's and just never took the time to become less ignorant about race. That's why he said "I can't be racist, I have black friends". Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, I just want to give him the chance to change.

Floyd, though? Floyd beats women. He beats them and he's never apologized for it and when confronted with it says it's all bullshit allegations. He's also a supporter of Kadyrov (a brutal piece of shit dictator), a supporter of Donald Trump, and he has his own history with dumbass racist comments and homophobia. But the domestic violence stuff and never repenting for it crosses a line for me that Conor hasn't even come close to. I'm a pretty forgiving and empathetic person, but Floyd just seems utterly amoral as far as I can tell, and egocentric. His ego is what doesn't let him apologize for the DV record. While I think Conor is still young enough to change, I don't have the same faith in Floyd.

So it comes down to a lesser of two evils, I guess. That slim chance of seeing Conor knock out Floyd is too big to pass up. And either way, it'll be a fun time with some friends at the bar.

Moze

Banned
Mr.Shrugglesツ;243497469 said:
A good boxing fight is about doing maximum damage efficiently. To break it down to specifics, the way you do this is my literally taking the wits out of the opponent thru blunt trauma.

You can't have a great "traditional" fight and a "no one gets hurts" match simultaneously.

People want to watch others beat the shit out of each other. Otherwise it's just wrestling.

That's not always the case. Harder punches can be scored higher, but there are often cases where a boxer wins because he/she delivered far more clean yet soft punches. There are cases where a boxer who looks absolutely fucked at the end of the fight can win against his/her opponent who barely has a scratch on him/her. So, damage inflicted isn't necessarily a good indicator on who has won a boxing match unless somebody gets KO'd.

Also, people don't always want to see people beat the shite out of each other. Some people watch boxing to see great defensive skills, reflexes and some showboating.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm not even sure anymore if I'll got to a bar and watch this fight. I don't really want to give these two anything even through a third party. They both fucking suck and I have little interest in watching a boring match between two arrogant bigoted idiots. I also expect the ugly rhetoric to get worse from these two as the press tour goes on.

Kill3r7

That's not always the case. Harder punches can be scored higher, but there are often cases where a boxer wins because he/she delivered far more clean yet soft punches. There are cases where a boxer who looks absolutely fucked at the end of the fight can win against his/her opponent who barely has a scratch on him/her. So, damage inflicted isn't necessarily a good indicator on who has won a boxing match unless somebody gets KO'd.

Also, people don't always want to see people beat the shite out of each other. Some people watch boxing to see great defensive skills, reflexes and some showboating.

I think he is talking about Hagler vs Hearns. I do not believe there are many boxing fans who did not enjoy that fight.

HStallion

I think he is talking about Hagler vs Hearns. I do not believe there are many boxing fans who did not enjoy that fight.

Those are some of the most exciting rounds in boxing. More happened in that short match than happens in entire fight trilogies. Electrifying does't do it justice.

Both are complete idiots

yeah, and i dont understand why anyone takes either seriously.. these types of impulsive violent people should not be anyone's idols.

the fact that they're showered with ridiculous amounts of money is just gross. they dont deserve a 1/10000th of it. it's perverse.

Cyframe

Those two being horrible extended further than just them. Yesterday I watched someone defend Mayweather's use of a homophobic slur because "it isn't used that way anymore." He was straight and would certainly know all about homophobic slurs (eyeroll).

And Conor just exhibits the same diet racism (just racism btw) that I dealt with growing up with the whole I have Black friends argument and jokes relying on the mandingo racist trope. Unless Conor is 3 months old, he knows better than to be making comments like that.

I won't be watching the fight but I hope it goes terribly for the both of them.

HStallion

Floyd beat his wife so nothing he does outside of murder surprises me

Conor McGregor kicks a litter of puppies on the next leg of the press tour. Mayweather retaliates by throwing a sack of kittens into a lake.

Sunster

you know what would be better than them fighting? the fight being cancelled and their careers suddenly ending.

Zasa

giphy.gif

Please, make this happen somehow

Kill3r7

Those are some of the most exciting rounds in boxing. More happened in that short match than happens in entire fight trilogies. Electrifying does't do it justice.

Agreed. It is arguably the greatest boxing match in my lifetime. On a slightly different class, nowhere as talented, Gatti vs Ward got the same type of buzz because the public loves brawlers. They like blood and grit.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;243501012 said:
Ali is inspirational.

Muhammad Ali said:
Joe Frazier should give his face to The Wildlife Fund! He's so ugly, blind men go the other way. He not only looks bad, you can smell him in another country. What will the people in Manila think? That black brothers are animals. Ignorant. Stupid. Ugly and smelly,

https://youtu.be/zQ37lyT6u8Y?t=1m27s

He called Joe Frazier an Uncle Tom repeatedly, and a gorilla. He said some really really nasty things.

But he's an inspiration, and Mayweather & McGregor deserve to literally die. Got it.

Yall are tripping If you think Floyd saying faggot is gonna affect ppv buys.

"call and get a refund"?? This is gonna be the biggest fight ever. Ill happily pay for this.

They don't need to be good people to entertain me

Mr.Shrugglesツ;243497469 said:
A good boxing fight is about doing maximum damage efficiently. To break it down to specifics, the way you do this is my literally taking the wits out of the opponent thru blunt trauma.

You can't have a great "traditional" fight and a "no one gets hurts" match simultaneously.

People want to watch others beat the shit out of each other. Otherwise it's just wrestling.

It's fine if you've never watched boxing or know nothing about it, you don't have to comment and try to be an expert.

Saying people watch boxing to see people beat the shit out of each other is false. That is the underlying reality of boxing but not what makes it popular. It's like saying NFL fans watch the NFL for bone crunching hits. Yes, that is the underlying constant threat in the sport, but most people (today) don't watch it to glorify the big hits, they watch it for the competitive games, strategy, and athleticism.

For me, I like boxing over MMA because I don't like how violent mma is. I'm sure if I watched MMA more I'd get an appreciation for it, but as a casual observer I hate it, makes me uncomfortable to watch a guy get pinned on the ground and then get his head bashed in with elbows till he passes out.

Most big fights these days, especially Mayweather fights, are about points, not knockouts or beating the wits out of your opponent. Mayweather, as he says, is 49-0, and probably the highest paid fighter in history (right?) so he's obviously doing something right. Though I personally think he'll crush McGregor, because McGregor isn't a boxer.

Chumley

Banned
It's fine if you've never watched boxing or know nothing about it, you don't have to comment and be an expert.

Saying people watch boxing to see people beat the shit out of each other is false. That is the underlying reality of boxing but not what makes it popular. It's like saying NFL fans watch the NFL for bone crunching hits. Yes, that is the underlying constant threat in the sport, but most people (today) don't watch it to glorify the big hits, they watch it for the competitive games, strategy, and athleticism.

For me, I like boxing over MMA because I don't like how violent mma is. I'm sure if I watched MMA more I'd get an appreciation for it, but as a casual observer I hate it, makes me uncomfortable to watch a guy get pinned on the ground and then get his head bashed in with elbows till he passes out.

Boxing does demonstrably worse shit to fighters brains than MMA does. For all its brutality, MMA is actually safer.

Top Bottom