• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor "relinquishes" UFC Feathereright Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
And ducked a chance to avenge his loss to Conor, despite claiming weeks before that he was keeping in camp in the case RDA pulls out.

Only way Jose was ever getting the belt back, hope he's enjoying it.

He can put it on his shelf with his WEC belt.

Probably deserves it too, he carried that division for years.

Let's never forget that Jose wanted to go up to 155 to fight for the belt, but Dana wouldn't let him unless he relinquished the 145 belt.

danthefan

As long as the top contender was Aldo, probably not. But if anyone new came around, i think he would've.

Holloway is doing well, I know McGregor beat him already but could hype up that fight I'm sure.

McGregor won't fight again til next summer so probably fair enough to take the belt. Aldo cries off injured more than he fights it seems so that's problematic too.

And ducked a chance to avenge his loss to Conor, despite claiming weeks before that he was keeping in camp in the case RDA pulls out.

Only way Jose was ever getting the belt back, hope he's enjoying it.

This is inaccurate. Aldo's twitter account stated he'd rematch Conor any time, anywhere after his loss. By the time the RDA fight fell out, Aldo had just gotten back to training so when the UFC called with the offer of a rematch he, understandably, declined to take the fight because he wasn't ready to take a title fight on short notice.

If you think Jose Aldo is incapable of beating Conor McGregor in a real fight, you don't know much about this sport.

Haunted

Putting the good of the division over the fighter.

McGregor hasn't defended the featherweight belt for over a year without injuries to justify such a long time without a defence. He cleaned out featherweight and has got the more exciting matchups at 155 anyway (Nurmagomedov, Ferguson).

As long as McGregor doesn't go crazy and lets himself get destroyed by bigger men at 170, there's good times ahead no matter who he fights at 155.

This is inaccurate. Aldo's twitter account stated he'd rematch Conor any time, anywhere after his loss. By the time the RDA fight fell out, Aldo had just gotten back to training so when the UFC called with the offer of a rematch he, understandably, declined to take the fight because he wasn't ready to take a title fight on short notice.

If you think Jose Aldo is incapable of beating Conor McGregor in a real fight, you don't know much about this sport.

I'm pretty sure the first one was a "real fight" and he got knocked the fuck out in 13 seconds. It's gonna be hard to hype that shit up again specially with the new owners. Don't get me wrong, as someone that's really into MMA, i'd love to see that. Either that or him vs Khabib or Ferguson, but it's hard to sell anyone else besides Khabib imo.

Stupid question from someone who doesn't follow martial arts but enjoys watching them when they're on:

What's with the belts? Is this really the best system? The whole "I challenge you" thing seems somewhat cartoony and not like a real sport. Have any game theorists researched alternative ranking systems that don't drastically increase the number of fights contestants need to participate in?

While I agree 13 seconds is no reflection of how an Aldo rematch would go, after eeeong McGregor dismantle Alvarez I just can't see any way that Aldo could win. McGregor said it, if you don't have height or weight then they don't have a shot

So how many peolpe went from thinking Conor was gonna get murked by Khabib into holy shit I don't know anymore?

I am one of those guys, to be honest.

TheCool69

Neo Member

here is his quote from his coach

That's what he wants the most. He wants it so much that he's already training conditioning, jiu-jitsu and boxing. Nothing too excessive, of course, but he wants to stay in shape. He's not lazy. He will always be expecting that chance to get the fight on short notice, otherwise he might not get another chance. He's got that notion in his mind so he's staying active. "

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/1/1...-mcgregor-short-notice-entertainment-mma-news

and here is the same guy when RDA fell out(one month later)

Pederneiras explained that even though Aldo was coming to the gym constantly, he wasn't training hard enough for a rematch with McGregor, or for a five round fight, for that matter.

"Aldo has been going to the gym to train, but he is not prepared to fight five rounds. It's no use to go with an athlete unconditioned to fight until the end of the fifth round in a hard fight."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/2...ready-vs-conor-mcgregor-short-notice-mma-news

So how many peolpe went from thinking Conor was gonna get murked by Khabib into holy shit I don't know anymore?

I am one of those guys, to be honest.

Same. Honestly less because of his performance against Eddie and more due to how much trouble Khabib had before the fight got to the ground. I think it's a complete toss up, if he gets in on Conor I'm 100% certain he'll fuck him up but if he can't, well, we've seen what happens lol.

The UFC is always at their worst when they try and act like a legitimate sport. Embrace the carny. Let your single biggest draw hold a division hostage. That story alone draws more attention and eyeballs than Aldo or Holloway holding some pity title.

Conor made a lot of sense too when you're just gonna have a paper champion for the next 2 years in the division that everyone knows got knocked out in 13 seconds. To casuals it'll seem to make the division less exciting.

Did they fight in other weight classes while holding their belt?

Not only that, he fought 2 fights at 170 before getting gifted an opportunity at the 155 belt a few weeks ago.

He only fought at 170 twice because RDA got injured from their lightweight bout, if that had never happened Conor wouldn't have had to fight anyone at WW and would have won the LW belt months ago.

The UFC are trying to save 206 at the moment, and if Conor is really finally taking some time off then it makes sense that he drops that belt as it'd be 18-20 months with no title fight until he came back.

This is overdue. He should have been stripped for demanding the second Diaz fight.

It's one thing for a champion to be injured and needing the time off. It's a whole other for a champion that got his belt under questionable circumstances (Aldo should've gotten the immediate rematch) and then refuse to defend their belt in favour of pursuing another at a higher weight class and then avenging a loss at weight class they have no business fighting at.

HAHAHAHAHA

Oh man, a brutal knockout is questionable circumstances. Are you ok Jose? how is retirement?

Conor fighting Nate saved the event RDA pulled out of, Conor rematching Nate made sense money wise. It was only at WW because Nate couldn't cut to LW. If RDA had not been injured none of the WW stuff would have happened and another Brazilian would have been sleeping in the cage.

The UFC is always at their worst when they try and act like a legitimate sport. Embrace the carny. Let your single biggest draw hold a division hostage. That story alone draws more attention and eyeballs than Aldo or Holloway holding some pity title.

very true.

Aldo should be happy, people talk about him, when did that ever happen before?
Make a stink, call him out after wins, make people want to see a rematch and Conor will come.

Camwi

I remember Mayweather had to drop a belt for breaking some stupid rule

fm.jpg

Man those are some ugly belts.

This is overdue. He should have been stripped for demanding the second Diaz fight.

It's one thing for a champion to be injured and needing the time off. It's a whole other for a champion that got his belt under questionable circumstances (Aldo should've gotten the immediate rematch) and then refuse to defend their belt in favour of pursuing another at a higher weight class and then avenging a loss at weight class they have no business fighting at.

Screw that. Immediate rematches should be reserved for crazy close fights, if that even.

He shouldn't of even had it at this point. He hadn't defended it for a considerable amount of time. If it was out of the blue then maybe it's wrong on him but he should have had multiple warnings that he needed to defend the belt.

Helwani made it sound like he in fact had. This decision wasn't one the UFC just came to without thought.

He chose to fight for a full year specifically not for the belt he won. He absolutely deserved to be stripped.

Sephzilla

How I see this playing out.

1- Interim Featherweight champ is crowned

2- Conor defends his 155 belt.

3- Conor claims he's still the real Featherweight champion.

4- Assuming Conor ever loses the 155 belt, he's immediately going to fight for the Featherweight belt again

5-

KnSk8Jl.gif

I'm pretty sure the first one was a "real fight" and he got knocked the fuck out in 13 seconds. It's gonna be hard to hype that shit up again specially with the new owners. Don't get me wrong, as someone that's really into MMA, i'd love to see that. Either that or him vs Khabib or Ferguson, but it's hard to sell anyone else besides Khabib imo.

If you consider yourself to be really into MMA then I can't see how you can be this dismissive of a deserved rematch. McGregor/Aldo wasn't so much as a real fight, it ended before it could even begin.

While I agree 13 seconds is no reflection of how an Aldo rematch would go, after eeeong McGregor dismantle Alvarez I just can't see any way that Aldo could win. McGregor said it, if you don't have height or weight then they don't have a shot

McGregor's bravado isn't really indicative of anything. His masterclass dismantling of Alvarez was amazing, but Chad Mendes had his way with him in their fight until he gassed out. A well rounded fighter that can actually execute a gameplan against him has a very good chance of beating him.

HAHAHAHAHA

Oh man, a brutal knockout is questionable circumstances. Are you ok Jose? how is retirement?

Conor fighting Nate saved the event RDA pulled out of, Conor rematching Nate made sense money wise. It was only at WW because Nate couldn't cut to LW. If RDA had not been injured none of the WW stuff would have happened and another Brazilian would have been sleeping in the cage.

Let's not pretend McGregor knocked out Aldo in a drawn out battle. He caught him flush with a beautiful cross on the first exchange. He deservedly won the title, now it's time to "run it back," as he put it when Nate choked him out.

McGregor should have defended his title before pursuing a rematch with Diaz. RDA had nothing to do with the second fight taking place, let alone immediately, and never mind at 170.

btw, if you're a grown ass man do yourself a favour and knock it off with copying McGregor's vernacular, that shit will never not be cringey coming from his stans.

Screw that. Immediate rematches should be reserved for crazy close fights, if that even.

Yeah, like the first Diaz fight, right?

Please. The UFC set a precedent for dominant champions receiving immediate rematches long ago. Aldo was such a champion and more than deserving of a rematch.

But OK, the UFC gave Conor one instead with Nate even though that could've waited. He avenged that loss, fair play to him, it was a great fight, but first order of business should've been a rematch with Aldo, and instead Conor was gifted a titleshot at LW. Even with all the business he brings in mind, that was straight up stupid, and now the guy expects to be able to hold up two divisions for another 6-8 months? Fuck. That. He had his chances to defend the FW belt, multiple times.

I wouldn't be surprised if Conor never defends the 155 title and the UFC gifts him with a 170 title shot. his next title defense would be the first of his entire career because has never defended a title he has won in his career.

darscot

This is pretty funny. The UFC loses another card and knows the only thing carrying the UFC is Conor. It's twice the story with his name tied to it. I bet they stick a mic in his face every chance they get during the run up. Hoping he can build the hype a card he is not even fighting in. If he want's it I have no doubt he can go back down and take it.

Sephzilla

*New Featherweight champion crowned*

Rogan: "Wait, who's music is that?!"

*Conor walks out*

Conor: Who touched my fookin' belt?

btw, if you're a grown ass man do yourself a favour and knock it off with copying McGregor's vernacular, that shit will never not be cringey coming from his stans.

OK. I mean it's the way that I'd talk in real life maybe it's an Irish\Scottish thing? I don't think saying that RDA would have been sleeping in the cage is mimicking his vernacular, it's just what would have happened.

If you consider yourself to be really into MMA then I can't see how you can be this dismissive of a deserved rematch. McGregor/Aldo wasn't so much as a real fight, it ended before it could even begin.

Did you just gloss over the part saying that I would love to see, but it was never likely to happen? (anytime soon)

If Mcgregor can defend the lightweight title a few times and aldo can defend the featherweight title, you'll have a much more interesting supe fight than Eddie vs Conor, bot of whom haven't defended their belts once. Also, What's a real fight? does it really have to be a 5 round war to be called a "real fight"?

Like bill burr said, it wasn't like he tripped and hit his head on a desk. There was no desk in that Octagon, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom