• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor vs Eddie Alvarez vs UFC 155lb belt offical for UFC 205 in NYC at MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
CtVgfcsUMAAOJN8.jpg:large

HERE WE GO FOLKS. THE BIG ONE! Conor McGregor will be facing Eddie Alvarez for the 155lb title. If Conor were to win it would make him the first ever simultaneous dual division champion in the UFC.

Conor McGregor will get his chance at becoming the first fighter in UFC history to hold two titles in two weight classes at once, after all.

The UFC featherweight champion will challenge Eddie Alvarez for the UFC lightweight title in the main event of UFC 205 at New York City's Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12. UFC president Dana White announced the bout late Monday night on ESPN's SportsCenter.

Additionally, McGregor will not relinquish the featherweight championship leading up to UFC 205, making the meeting a champion vs. champion superfight.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/27/13070556/conor-mcgregor-vs-eddie-alvarez-to-headline-ufc-205

Edit - Thread title should be *for* 155lb belt if a mod would be kind enough to fix it

3N16MA

Banned
It should be a good fight but if Conor is done with 145 then just let go of the title. Seems like he is holding onto it and the UFC is allowing it just in case he fails at 155. He has something to fall back on.

It should be a good fight but if Conor is done with 145 then just let go of the title. Seems like he is holding onto it and the UFC is allowing it just in case he fails at 155. He has something to fall back on.

I think a bit of it is that, and that Conor is obsessed with having records and being the biggest MMA fighter ever. He has been openly obsessed with being the first ever dual weight champion so that's part of why he's refusing to let go of the 145 belt. If he beats Eddie I think he will either relinquish the 145lb belt then as he will still be technically a dual weight champion for a short stretch of time, or he will have 1 defense at 145 before giving it up.

No way he plans on keeping both long term though imo. He's way too big for 145 now days

OnPoint

I think he should automatically drop the belt he has if he wins this one. I would say the same for any fighter.

3N16MA

Banned
I think a bit of it is that, and that Conor is obsessed with having records and being the biggest MMA fighter ever. He has been openly obsessed with being the first ever dual weight champion so that's part of why he's refusing to let go of the 145 belt. If he beats Eddie I think he will either relinquish the 145lb belt then as he will still be technically a dual weight champion for a short stretch of time, or he will have 1 defense at 145 before giving it up.

No way he plans on keeping both long term though imo. He's way too big for 145 now days

Good point. I think he wants the two weight class champ thing and then he may be done with 145. Perhaps a big money fight with Aldo and then moves on.

Seeing Conor at 155 in the UFC will be interesting, probably the weight class he's most comfortable at.

He needs to get a KO or prep his cardio like never before, Eddie is a true grinder.

JJD

WTF? What about Khabib? Dude already signed contracts to fight Alvarez.

What a fucking shame, McGregor should defend his belt or abandon it.

Qvoth

how good is this alvarez?
connor impressed me on his rematch against nate, so i'm back on rooting for him :p

how good is this alvarez?
connor impressed me on his rematch against nate, so i'm back on rooting for him :p

Easily one of the best fighters Conor has ever faced (also the 155lb Champion). Its going to be an interesting fight.

He has a record of 28 wins with 4 losses and 15 KO's and 7 submissions. He has a finishing rate of 79%. This isn't going to be an easy fight by any means

beasty

Terrible match up for Connor. Alvarez doesn't deserve this fight anyway.

Conor literally just got a title shot in the most competitive division in the UFC. 155 has like 3 dudes that all deserve a title shot right now and Conor jumped over them. Conor is a big money but he shouldnt be able to do things like this. He just log jammed two very good divisions. I respect his balls but UFC has think about the other fighters or else this whole thing just becomes a one man circus.

RK9039

Fuck I thought it was going to be the Eagle vs Alvarez, hopefully he's next in line though.

Keep running Alvarez.

Damn Wonderboy is in too.

Busty

Banned
Yowser. The Tyron Woodley v Wonderboy Thompson and Joanna Jędrzejczyk v Karolina Kowalkiewicz fights could co-main event the whole PPV themselves!!!

That's an impressive card.

Wait. That's the main card? Will some of them be peeled off for the prelims or..., how long is this show going to be?! They can't all be part of the PPV, can they?

no Diaz part 3?

My guess is they are hoping Conor wins the title (obviously) and then they could set up a third fight with Nate for the title or something. It would be bigger that way.

I hate that Khabib isn't getting his shot, but I am ready for Conor to KO Eddie. I think Eddie has a ton of heart, but I think Conor can finish him before he gasses out. Then Khabib can ragdoll the winner around and become the new LW champ.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Wait. That's the main card? Will some of them be peeled off for the prelims or..., how long is this show going to be?! They can't all be part of the PPV, can they?
Nah, just 5 fights will be on the PPV, rest on the prelims. It's likely the 1st 5 fights on that list that will be on the PPV, though bout order might not 100% be set in stone yet.

Camwi

Really unfair to the 145 and 155 divisions, but I can't complain as it's still a fight I'm interested in.

And as stacked as the card looks right now, just think that we could have had Cerrone/Lawler as part of it! FUCK!

Conor literally just got a title shot in the most competitive division in the UFC. 155 has like 3 dudes that all deserve a title shot right now and Conor jumped over them. Conor is a big money but he shouldnt be able to do things like this. He just log jammed two very good divisions. I respect his balls but UFC has think about the other fighters or else this whole thing just becomes a one man circus.

Alvarez is the one who jumped over everybody else to fight for the only thing that matters, money playboy, money.

This is complete bullshit. Conor should be stripped of his FW title.

This two division champ thing is important to him but what is it even gonna mean for his legacy when it's so clearly facilitated by the UFC allowing him to duck his championship responsibilities.

That's assuming he can even get past Alvarez, which I think is dubious considering Alvarez will have no qualms wrestlefucking McGregor to a victory, and unlike Mendes, Alvarez is similarly sized and probably stronger than Conor.

Jerm411

UFC matchmaking is just getting silly....we've reached the point where rankings, titles, and divisions really don't mean shit.

They should just admit it and start making nothing but super fights....

Dr.Acula

Banned
Pretty lame him jumping the queue like that. He lost to Diaz decisively once, and merely survived against him the second time. Is there no one else at 155?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom