• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor "relinquishes" UFC Feathereright Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 3m3 minutes ago

UFC says McGregor has "relinquished" the 145 title. I'm told he never agreed to that, as we reported earlier, but UFC w/i rights to strip.

Interim 145 pound champ, Jose Aldo, is now champion

Pettis and Holloway will fight for the interim 145 belt in Toronto on Dec 10

Any guesses as to how Conor reacted when told about this? lol

Like a petulant child as usual?

And here we go

Pretty ridiculous frankly unless he made it clear to them his next fight wouldn't be vs Aldo at 145. For the record he has only not fought in the FW division for 1 year, while many champions in the past have been out longer.

Only way I'm ok with this is if he indeed straight up told them he refused to fight at 145 for his next bout.

What's with having an interim title fight when Aldo is active?

Aldo claims he is retired and isn't fighting again even if he is champion. We'll see if he changes his tune now that he is the official Champ though

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Well he went a whole year without defending it. I am just really surprised that the UFC actually forced him to relinquish it, with him being their major cash cow at the moment.

But he can't hold up two divisions until his baby is born as he intended to do.

"Just come and try to take my belt motherfuckers! I'm still the champ and everyone knows it."

Yep he'll just go around saying he's still the Champ since he never lost in the division in the UFC. In terms of marketing purposes most people will buy it.

Well he went a whole year without defending it. I am just really surprised that the UFC actually forced him to relinquish it, with him being their major cash cow at the moment.

To be fair, there is a long history of Champs in the UFC going 1+ years without defending their title. That said he says he is gonna sit out for a while, so that could have influenced this decision.

Takuan

To be fair, there is a long history of Champs in the UFC going 1+ years without defending their title. That said he says he is gonna sit out for a while, so that could have influenced this decision.
Did they fight in other weight classes while holding their belt?
Hasn't defended it in over a year and recently became the champion at a higher weight class
Not only that, he fought 2 fights at 170 before getting gifted an opportunity at the 155 belt a few weeks ago.

Did they fight in other weight classes while holding their belt?

No but I don't really see why that matters all that much. Only way I am for this is if he refused to fight at 145 for his next fight. Dana is mostly doing it just to keep fighters happy / panic over UFC 206 so I can't really blame him.

That said I don't think this really makes any sort of difference, all McGregor has to say at Press Conferences is that the champ is someone he KO'd in 13 seconds.

No but I don't really see why that matters all that much. Only way I am for this is if he refused to fight at 145 for his next fight. Dana is mostly doing it just to keep fighters happy, so I can't really blame him.

That said I don't think this really makes any sort of difference, all McGregor has to say at Press Conferences is that the champ is someone he KO'd in 13 seconds.
And ducked a chance to avenge his loss to Conor, despite claiming weeks before that he was keeping in camp in the case RDA pulls out.

Only way Jose was ever getting the belt back, hope he's enjoying it.

mreddie

Something tells me UFC knows despite having a one man with two belts sounds awesome, it's gonna lead into some problems.

Dazzler

he was gonna go the whole calendar year of 2016 without defending it.

strip him.

Before losing to McGregor, Jose Aldo hadn't defended his belt for 15 months. There was another 12 month gap between defences earlier in his reign

I absolutely think McGregor should have been stripped, but not for the reason you're giving.

I think he should be stripped because he'll likely never fight at 145 again

ElNino

Considering that he has fought three times at a different weight class since winning the FW belt (one of which was for the LW belt), and that his coach has indicated that he'd rather him not fight at 145 anymore, this is probably a good move.

If he gets tooled at 155 and decides to come back down, it's not like they wouldn't give him an immediate title shot anyways.

Before losing to McGregor, Jose Aldo hadn't defended his belt for 15 months. There was another 12 month gap between defences earlier in his reign

I absolutely think McGregor should have been stripped, but not for the reason you're giving.

Sure, it's not just the time away as other champs have done that before due to injuries. But for Connor, he did it while being an active fighter in other weight classes.

Madness

I love Conor but he didn't defend the belt. Simple as that. As a champion, he has to defend or relinquish it. Aldo should have gotten immediate rematch after that KO. He was a long reigning champ and it was a quick KO.

I honestly believe Conor realized Aldo would come in hungrier and there was greater danger and Nate and 155 seemed like easier money. Conor will be in very tough like a guy like Khabib at 155 as well.

I love Conor but he didn't defend the belt. Simple as that. As a champion, he has to defend or relinquish it. Aldo should have gotten immediate rematch after that KO. He was a long reigning champ and it was a quick KO.

I honestly believe Conor realized Aldo would come in hungrier and there was greater danger and Nate and 155 seemed like easier money. Conor will be in very tough like a guy like Khabib at 155 as well.

Conor didn't fight Aldo right after because there isn't much money to be made on it. Its hard for the casual fan base to get excited about seeing a rematch that ended in 13 seconds. Sure hardcore fans would watch it, myself included. But Conor has always been about that money and an immediate Aldo rematch would have never touched 1 million buys.

yeah but he was injured.

conor fought 3x,

Madness

Conor didn't fight Aldo right after because there isn't much money to be made on it. Its hard for the casual fan base to get excited about seeing a rematch that ended in 13 seconds. Sure hardcore fans would watch it, myself included. But Conor has always been about that money and an immediate Aldo rematch would have never touched 1 million buys.

Maybe. But I fail to see why Nate vs Conor made more sense? It wasn't predicted to do so well but it did because of their trash talk. Conor sells fights. A lot of Conor vs Nate also came from the fact Conor became champion after a KO. If UFC 194 did 1.2 million buys, a rematch would have still done good numbers. But that all said, this is why Conor was stripped of the title. You cannot fight 3 plus times outside your division as champion while you have contenders waiting.

Aldo went 14 months between beating Chad Mendes and losing to McGregor. If McGregor took time off till March - April it would be a similar amount of time.

He has also only had one fight since losing while McGregor has had three.

Honestly, I'm a huge Mcgregor fan, he should be stripped and whenever ha has his baby or whatever, give hime a shot against the champion and see if he does it again, and see how he defends both belts from there. (assuming he wins the fight against the 145 champ)

This is overdue. He should have been stripped for demanding the second Diaz fight.

It's one thing for a champion to be injured and needing the time off. It's a whole other for a champion that got his belt under questionable circumstances (Aldo should've gotten the immediate rematch) and then refuse to defend their belt in favour of pursuing another at a higher weight class and then avenging a loss at weight class they have no business fighting at.

Oscar

Good, he was holding up the 145 division fucking around at 170.

He's the 155 champ, made history with the two belts, rich as fuck, he'll be alright.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
He fought 3 times without defending it, should have been stripped and it cheapened the whole 2 weight champion.

OldMan

Banned
I remember Mayweather had to drop a belt for breaking some stupid rule

fm.jpg

Syder

I know they are 100% within theirs rights but I don't get why you would deliberately antagonise your biggest moneymaker.
Conor is a worldwide phenomenon at the moment. Don't rock the boat.

The division will be better for it though.

He shouldn't of even had it at this point. He hadn't defended it for a considerable amount of time. If it was out of the blue then maybe it's wrong on him but he should have had multiple warnings that he needed to defend the belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom