• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor vs Eddie Alvarez vs UFC 155lb belt offical for UFC 205 in NYC at MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately this isn't true. The UFC wants trash talk and it's by and large an English speaking promotion. Fighters who don't speak English are going to miss out.

Anderson Silva still did great numbers and his english was awful. Like I said before, not necessary.

The Beard

Plus it's understandable if you're just getting to the UFC from a foreign promotion, but if you've been champion for 6 years? Inexcusable.

And you wanna do another round of promotion with McGregor. After a humiliating loss (and let's not kid ourselves, the guy told him exactly how he was gonna beat him and he still rushed into that left like a chump, it was pretty humiliating). How is that gonna go for Aldo this time?

He's probably looking forward to that even less than the actual fight with McGregor. By the time the translator is done explaining how McGregor just made fun of him, the crowd is already laughing at him and he'll get no chance to respond.

It's the UFC's fault as well. They should have paid for individual English classes for Aldo when he became champion. But now in 2016 with how global the UFC has become a champion that doesn't speak English just won't do.

That doesn't make sense.

Also, how could you not enjoy the Aldo vs Edgar fight? That was easily the best part of UFC 200. People had serious doubts about whether Aldo would still be able to perform at a high level after getting ktfo, and he stepped up big fucking time against one of the best in the division. It was an amazing performance from Aldo.

That doesn't make sense.

Also, how could you not enjoy the Aldo vs Edgar fight? That was easily the best part of UFC 200. People had serious doubts about whether Aldo would still be able to perform at a high level after getting ktfo, and he stepped up big fucking time against one of the best in the division. It was an amazing performance from Aldo.

Because it was boring as fuck. Yeah he shut Edgar down, whoopee. I completely agree with Conor on this. He needed a finish, he needed to go out and get it and instead he played it safe. I can't stand when a guy plays it safe.

Every other casual fan I've asked about this agrees. Sure it wasn't nearly as bad as Cormier laying his fat ass on Silva, but then again there was no redeemable quality about 200. That show really hurt the UFC brand. They have to thank the stars for 202.

Most guys still haven't figured out that winning or losing is meaningless. It's how you win or lose that matters.

Like take Fight Night 94. I still remember the Glenn fight against the 15th ranked lightweight. A featherweight showing up on short notice on his debut against a ranked lightweight. He got whooped, but put on a hell of a show. Showed a lot of heart, got out of a few nasty subs and kept going forward and throwing when he had nothing left in the tank. He lost a unanimous decision, but guess what? I remember his name. I'll certainly watch him fight again. His opponent's name I would have to look up, but he also did a great job. They got fight of the night so Glenn made more money by losing an exciting fight than by winning a boring decision. And he will certainly get another shot against a more suitable opponent. Now look at the fight before that (Carneiro Robertson, I had to look that up of course?. A super boring split decision. I don't give a shit who won that and as far as I care both should be cut. Like ok Carneiro apparently won, so fucking what? After that performance you think his career is gonna take off? He's in a much worse position than Glenn and deservedly so.

It's the same for Aldo. He needed an electric performance, not a boring decision. Even if he was dominant.

The Beard

Because it was boring as fuck. Yeah he shut Edgar down, whoopee. I completely agree with Conor on this. He needed a finish, he needed to go out and get it and instead he played it safe. I can't stand when a guy plays it safe.

Every other casual fan I've asked about this agrees. Sure it wasn't nearly as bad as Cormier laying his fat ass on Silva, but then again there was no redeemable quality about 200. That show really hurt the UFC brand. They have to thank the stars for 202.

Most guys still haven't figured out that winning or losing is meaningless. It's how you win or lose that matters.

Like take Fight Night 94. I still remember the Glenn fight against the 15th ranked lightweight. A featherweight showing up on short notice on his debut against a ranked lightweight. He got whooped, but put on a hell of a show. Showed a lot of heart, got out of a few nasty subs and kept going forward and throwing when he had nothing left in the tank. He lost a unanimous decision, but guess what? I remember his name. I'll certainly watch him fight again. His opponent's name I would have to look up, but he also did a great job. They got fight of the night so Glenn made more money by losing an exciting fight than by winning a boring decision. And he will certainly get another shot against a more suitable opponent. Now look at the fight before that (Carneiro Robertson, I had to look that up of course?. A super boring split decision. I don't give a shit who won that and as far as I care both should be cut. Like ok Carneiro apparently won, so fucking what? After that performance you think his career is gonna take off? He's in a much worse position than Glenn and deservedly so.

It's the same for Aldo. He needed an electric performance, not a boring decision. Even if he was dominant.

Well, I thought it was entertaining as hell. Aldo showed the world that he's still an elite fighter and he deserves a chance at getting that belt back.

Edgar has never been knocked out, or submitted, so it's ridiculous to try to knock Aldo for not finishing him. Aldo dominated one of the strongest fighters in the division. The guy deserves credit for that. Did you rip Conor for not finishing Diaz in the rematch?

Winning and losing matters. Putting on an exciting fight matters as well but winning and losing definitely matters. Otherwise Diego Sanchez would be a household name.

geardo

Not going to have to push hard at all.

But if Mcgregor was serious when he was ranting about how they'll need an army to pull the 145 belt from him, he has to go and defend it first at this point, right? Besides that, if he does actually decide to give up the belt and stay at 155, he has to give the fight to Khabib (depending on the Johnson fight) or Rafael first. I get that the Nate fight is the more lucrative for the organization, but there needs to be some balance if the rankings are meant to actually mean something. Somehow I know that the UFC will always prove me wrong though.

3N16MA

Banned
But if Mcgregor was serious when he was ranting about how they'll need an army to pull the 145 belt from him, he has to go and defend it first at this point, right? Besides that, if he does actually decide to give up the belt and stay at 155, he has to give the fight to Khabib (depending on the Johnson fight) or Rafael first. I get that the Nate fight is the more lucrative for the organization, but there needs to be some balance if the rankings are meant to actually mean something. Somehow I know that the UFC will always prove me wrong though.

Maybe. Dana has said Conor would defend his belt since after the first Diaz fight.

If Conor keeps pulling 1.5 million buyrates he can probably do whatever he wants. Unless I'm mistaken after this card won't Conor have the 3 biggest PPVs in the company's history? He's the biggest star they've ever had by a lot. Dana ain't killing that golden goose. Not with Bones and Rousey's status' up in the air and no other potential stars on the horizon.

phaonaut

no other potential stars on the horizon.

Have you forgotten about Super Sage?

2bae476ab44be6a83635e42fef145115

The UFC is probably regretting signing him a little bit, which is why they'll feed him Gall. Either he wins and they build him up into a star again or he loses and probably gets cut (or at least his contract is heavily renegotiated down) and they make Gall the star.

Either way a win win for the UFC.

I fell for the hype and he has potential but he's just not that good right now.
Weak ground game(don't care what belt he is).
He hasn't had one impressive win since his UFC debut and he ambushed a guy after he slipped.
If he ever fights Mickey Gall, I think Gall will take him down and finish him.

Anderson Silva was actually a poor drawing PPV champions until the Chael fight

He wasn't a poor draw, he was an average draw. The general high draws at the time were around 600 to 700k and that was from guys the UFC was built on like Lidell and Couture or when Pride champs fought. Outliers were GSP and Brock. 300k to around 450k was about average and 100k to 300k was low.

He wasn't a poor draw, he was an average draw. The general high draws at the time were around 600 to 700k and that was from guys the UFC was built on like Lidell and Couture or when Pride champs fought. Outliers were GSP and Brock. 300k to around 450k was about average and 100k to 300k was low.

Either way he was by no means a star. A mid tier PPV seller at best. Speaking English will factually improve your PPV draw and popularity. Because PPV is a mostly NA business model. In Brazil and most of the world fights are aired on network TV.

Anderson also had a very crowd pleasing fighting style. Aldo, for example, hasn't really been that guy since the WEC days, which is why his star hasn't risen to the level of an Anderson Silva.

Either way he was by no means a star. A mid tier PPV seller at best. Speaking English will factually improve your PPV draw and popularity. Because PPV is a mostly NA business model. In Brazil and most of the world fights are aired on network TV.

He was definitely a star and speaking English means almost nothing.

UFC 164 Henderson vs. Pettis = 270k buys
UFC 156 Aldo vs. Edgar = 330k buys
UFC 153 Silva vs. Bonnar = 410k buys
UFC 112 Silva vs. Maia (Pre Sonnen) = 500k buys
UFC 165 Jones v. Gustuffson = 310k buys

Keep in mind Pettis is on a Wheaties box and Jones v. Gus was highly anticipated.

Language doesn't matter. Reputation does.

Edit: And Benson v. Pettis was a HIGHLY anticipated rematch as their WEC title fight was insane and widely regarded as one of if not the best fight that year across many organizations.

Anderson Silva still did great numbers and his english was awful. Like I said before, not necessary.
Silva's fighting style and record was so entertaining that of course he was a huge name.

Let's not get it wrong, Silva would have been even bigger if he could talk the talk like McGregor

Lol at Aldo should have taken a short notice fight with McGregor holding any weight.

Yeah no shit Diaz took the fight. McGregor went up two weight classes for that fight, Easy fight for Diaz to take

But if Mcgregor was serious when he was ranting about how they'll need an army to pull the 145 belt from him, he has to go and defend it first at this point, right?

If Conor were to beat Eddie, a Diaz rubber match with the LW title on the line instantly becomes a setup for the biggest main event and biggest payout in the promotion's history. All parties involved would jump on it immediately.

lol.gif

Displays of technical excellence are now officially boring I guess

Nobody has ever finished Edgar. I thought it was a pretty impressive showing for a guy coming back from being face-planted in 13 seconds and losing a title he'd held forever.

He was definitely a star and speaking English means almost nothing.

UFC 164 Henderson vs. Pettis = 270k buys
UFC 156 Aldo vs. Edgar = 330k buys
UFC 153 Silva vs. Bonnar = 410k buys
UFC 112 Silva vs. Maia (Pre Sonnen) = 500k buys
UFC 165 Jones v. Gustuffson = 310k buys

Keep in mind Pettis is on a Wheaties box and Jones v. Gus was highly anticipated.

Language doesn't matter. Reputation does.

Edit: And Benson v. Pettis was a HIGHLY anticipated rematch as their WEC title fight was insane and widely regarded as one of if not the best fight that year across many organizations.
Can't believe Jones isnt a bigger draw.

The Beard

Lol at Aldo should have taken a short notice fight with McGregor holding any weight.

Yeah no shit Diaz took the fight. McGregor went up two weight classes for that fight, Easy fight for Diaz to take

Yeah, I don't get that argument either. What former champ has taken their title shot rematch on 10 days notice? If he desperately accepted that fight, he would've put himself in such a shitty position. If he lost to McGregor again, he'd have to wait a good amount of time to get another chance at it. Longer than this current wait.

Can't believe Jones isnt a bigger draw.

People loved his fighting early on. They hated his post interview talk. Then getting into all that trouble just gave those people support to their current dislike.

Reputation is the biggest part of draw. Just got to figure out what kind of rep you need to pull the kinds of fan watching for you.

Dammit JJ, please don't ruin her face. Look at her, she can likely pull a Luke Rockhold and transition into modeling after all the 205 media attention.

M8BD86W.jpg

Jose Aldo "Any time, any place, any weight ...except..."

That's my problem with this whole thing. Like no one is faulting Aldo for not fighting right away after that KO, not even Conor ("after I bounced his head of the mat like a basketball, he needs 9 months to a year to recover"). But if you're not ready please don't start talking shit about how you'll take that fight anytime anywhere and all that shit when it's clearly a lie.

I think he's still lying, I maintain he wants no part of a rematch and he's proving me right by retiring.

Banglish

That's my problem with this whole thing. Like no one is faulting Aldo for not fighting right away after that KO, not even Conor ("after I bounced his head of the mat like a basketball, he needs 9 months to a year to recover"). But if you're not ready please don't start talking shit about how you'll take that fight anytime anywhere and all that shit when it's clearly a lie.

I think he's still lying, I maintain he wants no part of a rematch and he's proving me right by retiring.

I've lost a ton of respect for Aldo, he's still one of my all-time favorite fighters. It just sucks to see the path that he's been taking at the end of his reign.

Jezbollah

I just looked for curiosity about how many fights Aldo has had in the UFC since the WEC merger. He's had nine in total.

For comparison, Donald Cerrone has had 22.

I just looked for curiosity about how many fights Aldo has had in the UFC since the WEC merger. He's had nine in total.

For comparison, Donald Cerrone has had 22.

Cerrone is an insane outlier statistically. That comparison is made in such bad faith its ridiculous. May as well compare Aldos activity over the last 10 years to Dominick Cruz'

Jezbollah

Holy shit BT Sports are broadcasting Cage Warriors the same night as 205. Paddy Pimblett is headlining. Nice.

I got a feeling El Cucuy is going to win tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom