• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 182 |OT| Break Bones - Sponsored By Dude Wipes®

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFatOne

753ea5b30f0c4dcfe84ba90543c26418.gif

Jones just needs to embrace going full heel.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Anybody else think that the eventual Gustaffson rematch won't be as close as the first fight? I have a feeling Jones will learn from his mistakes (not training that hard/lack of motivation, trying to outbox Gustaffson, etc.) and win more soundly the second time around.

So what's that supposed to mean for me? I'm not trying to be his friend or something. I am just entertained by his fights.
So am I. In fact, hating him probably makes his fights even more entertaining to me. If you have an emotional connection with a fighter, the fight instantly becomes more exciting. Putting money down on a fight does the same thing.

BadAss2961

Anybody else think that the eventual Gustaffson rematch won't be as close as the first fight? I have a feeling Jones will learn from his mistakes (not training that hard/lack of motivation, trying to outbox Gustaffson, etc.) and win more soundly the second time around.
I've always thought this too. I think Gus already fought his perfect fight, and it wasn't good enough for the judges to give him the title. I've only seen it live, but I remember thinking he won the fight 3-2.

I doubt he can have another performance like that against Jones.

IKizzLE

Yea, if Alex beats Rumble, I think Jones is gonna wrestle the fuck out of Gutstaffson. Looking at a fourth round submit.

iqubal

Banned

Yep agreed. But I also have a feeling that Rumble Johson may win against Gus in the next few weeks.

And the presser looks like its going to start soon.

IKizzLE

Yep agreed. But I also have a feeling that Rumble Johson may win against Gus in the next few weeks.

And the presser looks like its going to start soon.

Only questionable thing about Rumble is the gas tank.
I doubt he'll get a quick knockout or submit, but if he can win the first 3 rounds and then survive the last two, then itll be Rumble vs Jon and Alex vs DC.

And jon will still be the champion.

Instro

The first fight wasn't all that close either. Bones pretty much wrecked him in the later rounds. Rumble might have a decent shot at it, although he is post PED now.

Dana says over 750K buys for the PPV. Heel Bones is born. I wonder if Dana might try and get Anderson in against him for one last massive pay day.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I missed the beginning of the presser--did they say that Jones is going to come? Did he go to the hospital or something?

Instro

Dana says over 750K buys for the PPV. Heel Bones is born. I wonder if Dana might try and get Anderson in against him for one last massive pay day.

If he had been that from the start, more people would probably like him. Instead we had awkward years of him being a fake nice guy, but continually getting caught being whiny and dirty. Him pretending to be a bad guy is at least more believable.

People liked Jones when he first came up but it seems like the more he wins the more people hate him. Maybe it's because he's in a sport where you aren't supposed to win all the time, everyone eventually loses, but he hasn't? People have been waiting for that first "great white/brown/tan hope" to come along and take him out. Probably doesn't help that a few of those guys were fan favorites that he destroyed along the way. First he was too green for Shogun. Then he wouldn't be able to handle the elusive Lyoto "He was winning til he wasn't!" Machida. Then it was Rashad. Then Gus. Then Glover. Then DC. Nearly always in dominating and/or entertaining fashion. With each win the hate seems to continue to grow. He's cleaned out a fucking division that was supposed to be stacked when he first won the belt, and now people want to intimate he's a coward because he won't move up to heavyweight. It'll never been good enough for some people I guess until Bones finally loses,

Or maybe people get annoyed with a champ who is an arrogant prick. Trolls people on social media. Talks non stop shit. Then claims hes actually a nice guy in a completely different voice.

The guy is a prick. I don't really see any counter argument. What fighters or guys that train with him talk about how great of an individual he is all the time?

Some people like that. Some don't.

Guru-Guru

Banned
how does 750k ppv buys fair by ufc standards?
750k+ PPV buys is very good. In 2014 (somebody correct me if I am wrong), most of the PPV cards were in the 150-400k range. 2014 was an awful year for PPV, due to watered down cards and injuries.

ElRenoRaven

how does 750k ppv buys fair by ufc standards?

Beats me. I quit buying the PPVs way back in the days when PPVs started costing 40 plus bucks. Anymore it's bars or friends. UFC is only going to hurt themselves every time they raise prices. I mean shit it's now 60 bucks a damn PPV. With 1 and 2 in some months that's just insane.

Say what you want about WWE they were damn smart to include their PPVs into their network for 10 bucks a month. Imagine if UFC did that with their Fight pass. I know I'd subscribe ASAP.

You guys are acting as if Gus hasn't learned from his mistakes as well. Everyone improves in MMA.

Unless you're Dominick Cruz.

More seriously though, plenty of guys plateau or simply don't have the tools to take the champ in their divisions.

The situation with Gus really is one of wait and see. Rumble is a huge obstacle and even if Gus has improved he may not get past him.

IKizzLE

Yea, Jon Jones is deceptively big.
He is a huge Light Heavyweight.

Everyone he's fought outside of Gus have looked like man children.
Im pretty sure jones walking around weight is like 240.

Cormier looks like he's gonna cry.

And he probably did beforehand. Shit I cried my eyes out when I lost in the Silver Gloves in amateur boxing which was also my first lost, just imagine a athlete of his talent that was undefeated in MMA, and lost for the title while giving his all. Shit man, it's hard to put into words how he must feel.

750k+ PPV buys is very good. In 2014 (somebody correct me if I am wrong), most of the PPV cards were in the 150-400k range. 2014 was an awful year for PPV, due to watered down cards and injuries.

750+k buys is top tier. I think the only guys to sell better are GSP and Anderson Silva but only a couple of fights for each.

SRTtoZ

Cannot wait for the Nick Diaz and Spider card.
The buys on that will be obscene. Both guys sell PPV's well.

I still feel like that fight is too good to be true, like something will happen to prevent it because its such a good fucking fight. Can't wait, althought i'll be away for Superbowl weekend :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom