• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 182 |OT| Break Bones - Sponsored By Dude Wipes®

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattk15

And he probably did beforehand. Shit I cried my eyes out when I lost in the Silver Gloves in amateur boxing which was also my first lost, just imagine a athlete of his talent that was undefeated in MMA, and lost for the title while giving his all. Shit man, it's hard to put into words how he must feel.

Oh no doubt. I wasn't saying that to make fun of em or anything.

Has to be hard for him.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Cannot wait for the Nick Diaz and Spider card.
The buys on that will be obscene. Both guys sell PPV's well.
I wonder how well that will do. I don't expect more then 500k, to be honest. Diaz hasn't been doing any trash talking (and he seems pretty adamant that he won't). Silva draws well when he is against somebody who embraces the trash talking (Sonnen being the prime example). Of course, Weidman didn't do any trash talking, but that had the hype about him being the guy who would be able to defeat the P4P great. I don't think anybody is giving Diaz much of a chance.

And Lesnar. He has multiple fights over 1 million buys.

Can't forget Brock. He was the PPV king.

I want to wipe his entire MMA career from my mind. -_-

More surprising, I actually looked it up and Forrest Griffen vs Rashad Evans apparently did 1 million buys in 2008.

BJ Penn technically headlined a card with 850k buys but it had Silva as the Co-Main.

Sylvia and Arlovski did 775k buys in 2006 and Ortiz vs Shamrock ties tonights buys with 750k in 2007.

I wonder how well that will do. I don't expect more then 500k, to be honest. Diaz hasn't been doing any trash talking (and he seems pretty adamant that he won't). Silva draws well when he is against somebody who embraces the trash talking (Sonnen being the prime example). Of course, Weidman didn't do any trash talking, but that had the hype about him being the guy who would be able to defeat the P4P great. I don't think anybody is giving Diaz much of a chance.

I honestly think it will do the worst of the big 3 cards. Weidman and Rousey card will outperform it.

IKizzLE

Yea thats true. Nick and Silva's promos have been super respectful.
No shit talk between the two of them. It'll still sell well because it should be a straight up boxing match.

Yea thats true. Nick and Silva's promos have been super respectful.
No shit talk between the two of them. It'll still sell well because it should be a straight up boxing match.

It's strange, on paper it's two huge names but there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz. Silva is old and coming off two devastating and humiliating losses. Diaz is also coming off two bad losses and hasn't fought in almost two years. All this fight really has going for it is names.

I want to wipe his entire MMA career from my mind. -_-

More surprising, I actually looked it up and Forrest Griffen vs Rashad Evans apparently did 1 million buys in 2008.

BJ Penn technically headlined a card with 850k buys but it had Silva as the Co-Main.

Sylvia and Arlovski did 775k buys in 2006 and Ortiz vs Shamrock ties tonights buys with 750k in 2007.

Rashad has 2 cards over 1 million. Him and Rampage as well. Guy used to be a major draw.

Macattk15

Did he just blame having a kid for ruining his dreams? What a fucking asshole.

Ruining his hopes of being able to devote time to becoming an D1 / olympic wrestler ... not just his dreams in general.

I'm sure he had to put some shit on hold to be a father at a young age.

Jones: "I don't feel sorry for him, this is combat"

I really feel like DC at least appreciated hearing that. Anyway tonight's main card was extremely shitty. The main event was good minus the last round, tho.

Loomba

Apparently DC started crying while Ariel was interviewing him on FS1, anyone watch that interview?

Jones 2 stronk

Fuck that heavy weight bs, stay in your weight class and wreck people

Exactly, if you can make weight and are destroying people why go up at all and risk even more.

Why isn't anyone asking Cain or Werdum to move down and fight Bones? Jones has never had trouble making weight or staying at LHW. Not sure why everyone thinks he needs to move up.

Yea, Jon Jones is deceptively big.
He is a huge Light Heavyweight.

Everyone he's fought outside of Gus have looked like man children.
Im pretty sure jones walking around weight is like 240.

He's posted pics of himself weighing 218 a month out from a fight. He posted a pic at 230 and he was a skinny guy with a pregnant belly. He's usually around 225 at fight time. Cormier intended to be about the same. Gus starts at 230 himself. Even Shogun said he is 231.

Why isn't anyone asking Cain or Werdum to move down and fight Bones? Jones has never had trouble making weight or staying at LHW. Not sure why everyone thinks he needs to move up.

And it's pretty obvious at this point his is the more worthwhile title. The HW title gets passed around every few fights. Jones has held the LHW title for what, 8 fights? He's the best fighter in the world and those guys should go after him and his title, why should he move up to fight whichever not-the-best-fighter-in-the-world happens to have the HW belt this month?

For an Olympic wrestler DC's lack of cardio surprised me

Jones landed a lot of kicks and knees to the body, even some punches. And he wore DC out against the cage.

DC had fine cardio when he was manhandling a 250lb Josh Barnett for 25 minutes, because Josh wasn't able to push him and wear him down like Jones did.

I think DC needs to change his style completely if he wants to win vs jones. DC basically sat in jones attack range and took kicks that he should of avoided. But DC doesn't have the foot work or cardio to be always active. Jones counter punch him so many times on the defensive.

Pimpwerx

I think this will play out a lot like the Barnett fight, with Danny Cormier throwing Bones Jones around. But I think this ends with the ref pulling Danny off of Bones Jones, in one of those scary finishes where the director orders the cameraman to not shoot the EMTs working on Bones Jones, so that we only see a glimpse of the fallen champion being rushed out of the Octagon on a stretcher, laying still, with an oxygen mask strapped to his face, with Mike Goldberg signing off by saying that Zuffa's prayers are with Bones Jones.

Welp...this prediction fell a whee bit short. ;)

Last night's card was awful IMO. However, the last two fights were good enough. They need to start putting better cards together for Jones fights. His fights are usually the best fight on his cards, and I'm not sure that track record is necessarily due to Jones bringing it every fight. I just think his support fights are consistently poor. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

If he had been that from the start, more people would probably like him. Instead we had awkward years of him being a fake nice guy, but continually getting caught being whiny and dirty. Him pretending to be a bad guy is at least more believable.

Jones is a bit of a character. When he was trying to be a baby face, he was clean shaven. Since being a heel, he's kept his beard. He's gone heel down to the beard growth. I'm thinking we should watch for when he shaves again, and goes back to being a face. I mean, he did the DX chop last night, he's gotta understand wrestling lore and whatnot. The beard is totally part of the act. Heel Bones Jones isn't running down criminals pre-fight. PEACE.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Jones is by far the most dominate and best champion MMA has seen so far.

When Jones destroyed everyone in 2011, this was everyone in the LHW division's reaction: http://youtu.be/gux9t2yI74I?t=2m33s

Four years later everyone is still reacting like that.

And everyone saying that Rumble will beat Gus or Jones, Gus is going to decision him. I can't imagine that Rumble's gas tank handles 3 rounds very well, let alone 5.

No. Rumble is gonna send his and Jones brain to the cosmos.

I can definitely see Gus winning against AJ by simply utilizing his reach and a much more refined Boxing. I'm certainly not as impressed as some of the bandwagong jumpers for his win against Rogerio and Davis, guy doesn't deserve all of this hype and Gus will be crashing that train when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom