• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Destiny 2 is year's biggest retail launch, but retail down 58% from Destiny 1

Or people are moving more towards digital

Seems to be the case, lots of people seem to be buying digital games these days, most people I know have the digital version.

I guess people are finding it more convenient to download now, instead of going out to buy it, especially now PS4 has external HDD support, making HHD space much less of an issue.

I only buy digital games when on sale but it's surprising how many people buy digital games at the much higher price, just because you can launch the game without changing discs. I always tell my friends they must be mad paying that but they don't seem to care.

Floex

Good thing I'm not American so

There is clearly a digital market. May not be the number 1 market but suggesting they haven't sold any digitally is baffling

Exactly. I can see why people bought Destiny digital, especially during the end game where you just want to do a quick Nightfall. I had thought about it myself but couldn't get past the moron tax.

Wollan

I am amongst those whom bought D1 physically yet D2 digitally (makes sense being an online-only title). My console purchases have all switched to digital in the interim between D1 and D2.

Glad to see the tragedy that was Destiny 1 isn't going unrewarded. I sure know they lost a repeat customer in me.

Yup. I remember the hype being huge for D1 and I couldn't wait for it. What a disappointment Vanilla Destinywas. To be honest I was into Destiny for the story and exploration, but with the fuck up that was D1's story, it wasn't what I really wanted in the end. D2 just feels like an extension to the gameplay which whilst great, isn't what drew me into the world to begin with.

Khoryos

I've always got the feeling that the UK is a much heavier PC market, but I don't know how accurate that actually is.

Because everyone loves comparisons with PUBG, I went to the geography tab of the game, and looked at the UK.

Total owners: 10,696,948 (though in theory is more, the web author said it seems he isn't catching some steam id ranges)

% UK Owners 3,8%

Total owners in UK: 406K.

Westlo

LOL @ people saying digital.

Like Australia, why would anyone even buy this digital in UK..

PSN Price in AU = $99
Go to Big W chain store or similar = $64.

I've always got the feeling that the UK is a much heavier PC market, but I don't know how accurate that actually is.

UK? I don't think so. Not especially.

UK had the past years a strong console market, with Germany, and the central and northern countries are the ones more PC-centric.

wapplew

Because everyone loves comparisons with PUBG, I went to the geography tab of the game, and looked at the UK.

Total owners: 10,696,948 (though in theory is more, the web author said it seems he isn't catching some steam id ranges)

% UK Owners 3,8%

I guess UK gamers rather wait for One X and PUBG.
Blue Hole eating Bungie's lunch.

Wow, that's a pretty big drop from D1. Maybe appealing only to the fans didn't work out?

I'm not sure why it dropped so much. It seemed to be poised to be bigger than the original.

ps3ud0

Even if UKers bought it digitally it wouldn't be attributed to UK figures as no doubt they'll use whatever other geographical marketplace to get the best deal possible - most likely US PSN/XBL.

I wouldn't be surprised if D2 had a higher digital ratio as people know it's one of those games that likely would never leave their drives for months anyway...

ps3ud0 8)

Jumeira

Banned
i did but yeah maybe most people are buying it physically although the physical version is £46 on amazon right now and that's with free delivery. if you want faster delivery then you might as well go digital unless you care about a measly few pound. even £9 difference isn't that huge. maybe if it was about £40 then i'd understand.

Not sure which part of the UK you reside, but £10 saving is significant.

Striek

For the "but digital crowd"....

Of course the drop isn't going to be 58% with digital. Because 58% is catastrophic, hilarious, and crazy. But whatever the real drop is, its bad. Real bad.

Loris146

I bet the "but digital..." people are forgetting digital existed back in 2014 too.

It's not comparable , at least worlwide. Just an example : Horizon zero dawn was around 650k retail only and >1Ml with digital in US. Back in 2014 digital sales were way lower for AAA console games.

Egida

Neo Member
Is like Mario Kart 8. Back in the day I bought it physical and later on I regretted it. So of course, when the Switch vers. came out I went for the digital version without even thinking about it.

Option-

YES, i knew it!!
that dudebro marketing campaign was sucking big compared to the promise of a sci-fi epos that D1 made before its release and could now have been realized instead of making a loot based D1.5.

Of course the drop isn't going to be 58% with digital. Because 58% is catastrophic, hilarious, and crazy. But whatever the real drop is, its bad. Real bad.
Retravision_EndIsNigh_1993_BLOG-thumb-300x252-153559.jpg

🙄

stryke

It's not comparable , at least worlwide. Just an example : Horizon zero dawn was around 650k retail only and >1Ml with digital in US. Back in 2014 digital sales were way lower for AAA console games.

Feel free to double the numbers if you believe the digital ratio is that high. It's still falls short of retail alone.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
FsAytgl.png

At those prices, no way has digital softened that blow.

I'm one of the people who bought the first day one but skipped this. I was suckered into the hype first time round and already know what to expect here. Chuck in the massive improvements Bungie made after launch, and it just makes sense to wait.

YES, i knew it!!
that dudebro marketing campaign was sucking big compared to the promise of a sci-fi epos that D1 made before its release and could now have been realized instead of making a loot based D1.5.
Yeah, yeah, the end is nigh and all that.

Destiny is not gonna be dead no matter how some you guys want it to be

Loris146

Feel free to double the numbers if you believe the digital ratio is that high. It's still falls short of retail alone.

I don't think that digital sales will cover the difference in retail in the Uk but the situation is extremely different from 2014 and that is a fact.

While we are on anecdotal evidence I bought the first but didn't buy the second. I could be wrong though as this thread clearly implies I must of bought it digital. I'll have to check my game libary I guess.

Seriously though in no way is digital going to make up that gap. The game has underperformed at launch but a more positive word of mouth will help it have better legs I'd imagine.

Ushay

PC and XB1X platforms yet to be released to be released, surely these will contribute significantly. Also no digital.

I guess a lot of players waited this time around, myself included. That being said I've ordered my copy after seeing the glowing reviews and impressions here.

One that surprised me was the split between Xbox and PS, no where near as big as one would think.

P.S. I know at least 2 people that digitally preordered the game for day 1 gaming. Anecdotally speaking.

Yeah not really feeling the Destiny hype in my circle, when D1 came out everyone was going apeshit. This time around I haven't heard a peep.

Also interesting to see such a drop in Xbox sales, last time around that many 360 owners fucked with bungie. This time around it looks like they are gone. Either not upgraded to Xbox One or next gen at all.

Trickster

% UK Owners 3,8%

I think everyone knows that Destiny 2 is still gonna sell a shit ton.

But big drops in sales is not exactly what you want as a business

However, as a consumer I would be delighted if this is indicative of Destiny 2 sales compared to Destiny 1. For as many issues Destiny 2 might have addressed, it's still looking like an incredibly safe sequel

Well, expansions sell less than real sequel so...

Preach. I was watching the Two Towers the other night, the alleged 'sequel' to the Fellowship of the Ring. Absolute joke, and waste of time. Same cast for the most part, doing the same thing. Just trudging through forests. They're even fighting the same enemies for the most part save a couple of reskins. Even the overarching storyline was the damn same, blah blah "destroy the ring" crap. Sure there are a couple of new characters and it looks a little better but how is that worthy of a sequel?

Swear to god if they don't get to space in the third one then I'm done with this shitty rehashed franchise.

Option-

Yeah, yeah, the end is nigh and all that.

Destiny is not gonna be dead no matter how some you guys want it to be

i love destiny <3

i hate activison´s bad influence on bungie (barebones pvp, microtransaction around the shader system, payed mods, barebones dlc content, establishing an epos as a cod dudebro shooter)

I bet the "but digital..." people are forgetting digital existed back in 2014 too.

Yes but Digital is getting bigger all the time. I mean EA said digital sales had jumped over 23% just in the last year. In the UK more people than ever now have access to Fibre Broadband and its growing all the time and that the UK where we've always been crap at internet speeds

There are also people waiting for the PC version.

You'd expect growth overall considering the larger install current gen base on console (three years after Destiny 1 which sold 82% on current gen at launch) in addition to a new PC version. I wouldn't expect 'launch' sales of the PC version to cannibalise launch sales of the console version to such an extent.

Yes but Digital is getting bigger all the time. I mean EA said digital sales had jumped over 23% just in the last year. In the UK more people than ever now have access to Fibre Broadband and its growing all the time and that the UK where we've always been crap at internet speeds

Digital clearly had some sort of impact on sales but it's not going to make up the boxed sales difference, let alone boxed + digital between 1 and 2.

btw: Is the 23 percent:
-23 percent growth on last year's digital sales
-23 percentage points growth
-The proportion of digital sales right now? (23% of all sales are digital at launch?)

Bruno MB

Is there any data that suggest that digital share in the UK is notably lower than in other big Western markets? Because I seriously doubt it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
You'd expect growth overall considering the larger install current gen base on console (three years after Destiny 1 which sold 82% on current gen at launch) in addition to a new PC version. I wouldn't expect 'launch' sales of the PC version to cannibalise launch sales of the console version to such an extent.

People have seen the light. 60fps+. No dual-analog aiming is the biggest factor for me, though.

PC and XB1X platforms yet to be released to be released, surely these will contribute significantly. Also no digital.

I guess a lot of players waited this time around, myself included. That being said I've ordered my copy after seeing the glowing reviews and impressions here.

One that surprised me was the split between Xbox and PS, no where near as big as one would think.

P.S. I know at least 2 people that digitally preordered the game for day 1 gaming. Anecdotally speaking.

The XB1X costs £430 in UK ($567)
In no world are Xbox people waiting for this game through XB1X impacting Destiny sales in any way.

That's a laughable thing to say.

Edit: Actually it is £450 ($593)

Shadio

Good thing I'm not American so

There is clearly a digital market. May not be the number 1 market but suggesting they haven't sold any digitally is baffling

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/64771/uk-digital-games-sales-2016/

The digital market seems to be outperforming the retail market. Vast majority make be microtransactions but the uk loves digital spending

These things generally include microtransactions, DLC, subscriptions and games that can't be bought physically. When it comes to comparing physical and digital sales of the same product, I'm pretty confident the amount of people buying physically in the UK will be overwhelming due to the price difference. Right now that difference seems to be £13, or 17 USD.

My friends who bought Destiny 2 digitally only did it so they could share the game. I can't imagine paying £13 extra just so I won't need to keep the disk in.

stryke

As I said earlier, make it 50% if that makes you feel better. Still a big drop.

lostcauz

Everyone saying digital won't make up the numbers, have you thought that people might be buying the game + expansion digital bundle, isn't digital the only way to get the two? The base game is useless if you plan to play the game long term.

Top Bottom