• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I just cut myself shaving for the first time in years.

Right on the fucking lip.

Worst of all, I notice I still missed a couple of spots as I was applying the post-shave balm.

I feel like I'm 15 again.

Did you speed shave ? I'm usually a calm shaver but now a days i just go wild on my rugged face.

Thank fuck it's the weekend! Have finished (and passed) my first week of sparky (sorry, that should be Domestic Electrical Engineer as I won't be a fully fledged sparky) course, only another 240 hours of home learning and 3 and a half residential weeks to go.

Tomorrow am going for a free tour of Camden Town Brewery and my girlfriend is also up for the weekend.

Suairyu

Banned
Did you speed shave ? I'm usually a calm shaver but now a days i just go wild on my rugged face.
Nope, exfoliated and heat-soaked my face for ages first and everything. I love a good shave.

Lip won't stop bleeding, either. I've sealed it with a waxy lip balm for now but I have a pint right in front of me and I'm afraid the bubbles are going to both wash away the seal and sting like fuck.

Kentpaul

Nope, exfoliated and heat-soaked my face for ages first and everything. I love a good shave.

Lip won't stop bleeding, either. I've sealed it with a waxy lip balm for now but I have a pint right in front of me and I'm afraid the bubbles are going to both wash away the seal and sting like fuck.

the cut will open back up when your drunk and stuffing your face with donner meat tonight.

Meadows

Banned

homershave.jpg

this stops the bleeding for me

and yes I learnt that on the simpsons

^ REALLY?! Shame on you. Though I do think I sound a bit dim at times... maybe it makes sense.

wales lol

so much unemployment and soapbar smoking.

Nice people though

SOLD on one trip to Scotland!
Even though it looks shopped, it was the picture above did it... In all seriousness I do want to go this year. Not quite sure whereabouts to head though. I'm mainly looking for scenic walks during the day and some pubs with jukebox and nicely-priced beers for the evenings. Any suggestions for me to look into?

And I refute two thirds of your claim about the Welsh, Paul - I'm sitting in work right now and have a nice bud waiting for me to celebrate the weekend (only misguided teens still smoke the soapbar) ;) the people, are obviously, amazing though!

GaryNeville_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg

I've never been to Preston or Liverpool but been to Manchester a bunch of times, I support United. It's quite nice actually, but I think if I lived nearer I'd despise it. I hate London for some reason, I have no idea why.
Probably either jealousy or you know you can't cut it here. Or both.

Also, Kent Paul's posts have been a great fucking laugh, and have reminded me of what dicks me and my mates were with gambling at that age. Had some wicked highs but also some long walks home.

Kentpaul

SOLD! Even though it looks shopped the picture above did it... In all seriousness I do want to go this year. Not quite sure whereabouts to head though. I'm mainly looking for scenic walks during the day and some pubs with jukebox and nicely-priced beers for the evenings. Any suggestions for me to look into?

And I refute two thirds of your claim about the Welsh, Paul - I'm sitting in work right now and have a nice bud waiting for me to celebrate the weekend (only misguided teens still smoke the soapbar) ;) the people, are obviously, amazing though!

Just head north when your in scotland.

stay away from both coasts and head right up the middle. all the lochs n shit are there.

LOCH TAY/KILLIN is a good area for noobies

I was kidding about the welsh thing but from what iv seen wales is just random vallys with random council houses on hills

cynon-valley-750610.jpg

*SHIVER* :p

good bud is great, i pay a little extra from usual prices and buy from a local grower.

edit the loch i linked to is called loch awe, Its a little tricky to find but just follow a map

Loch-awe.jpg

water so clear you could see a fish swim 100 yards out!

Suairyu

Banned
Really? I purposefully lost mine, hated it.
Yeah, really. Though it varies between regions, obviously. As with all accents, some regional variances can sound absolutely disgusting.

But generally Welsh accents on ladies are just amazing.

I have a very boring, neutral English accent due to all the travelling around I did as a kid, what with my father being in the forces. Strictly, I suppose it'd be classified as received pronunciation, but it doesn't sound fancy enough for that.

Wilbur

Banned
Probably either jealousy or you know you can't cut it here. Or both.

Also, Kent Paul's posts have been a great fucking laugh, and have reminded me of what dicks me and my mates were with gambling at that age. Had some wicked highs but also some long walks home.

But I've lived here all my life WHAT CAN IT BE

Gonna go back and read what happened to Kent Paul. I only ever put accumulators on the football.

^ you should, it was edge-of-your-seat stuff!

Hah the "Welsh Valley photo" looks just like where I grew up, *shudder* indeed. Your summary isn't FAR wrong either Paul, though in fairness, since I moved to Cardiff life is MUCH better. No nosey neighbours and narrow minded youths to contend with. Plus a bit more nightlife and better transport links.

Thanks for the noob' tips too, sounds pretty straight forward. I'm planning on hiring a car and driving up for a few days when the weather improves (hopefully) in a few months, as a surprise for the boyf's birthday. Will look up Loch Tay/Killin for sure and any routes going through the 'middle'.

EDIT: WOW. Just seen the edit in your post and I think that'll be one of the destinations for sure. It looks so peaceful

Countdown HAS BEGUN, an hour to go and I'm home free - Friday is a good day

Hah looks just like where I grew up, *shudder* indeed. Your summary isn't FAR wrong. Though in fairness, since I moved to Cardiff life is MUCH better. No nosey neighbours and narrow minded youths to contend with.

Thanks for the noob' tips, sounds pretty straight forward. I'm planning on hiring a car and driving up for a few weekends when the weather improves (hopefully) in a few months, as a surprise for the boyf's birthday. Will look up Loch Tay/Killin for sure and any routes going through the 'middle'.

Countdown HAS BEGUN, an hour to go and I'm home free - Friday is a good day

Where are you from?

I'm not sure what I sound like now. A few welshisms still come out, like come yur (here) and tuth (tooth). A lot of people think I'm Westcountry. Someone once said Yorkshire. I guess my accent is just all screwed up. Whoever's going to the Meetup can tell me what you think I sound like.

Just over one hour to go, Hazzah! No plans for tonight, might get a takeaway. What would UK Gaf suggest? (not kebab)

But I've lived here all my life WHAT CAN IT BE

Gonna go back and read what happened to Kent Paul. I only ever put accumulators on the football.
So the latter of the two? Do you live in London 'proper'? Do you have the misfortune of living in South or west London? Are you a pauper?

It could be many things.

I was kidding about the welsh thing but from what iv seen wales is just random vallys with random council houses on hills

cynon-valley-750610.jpg

*SHIVER* :p

How you can tell that any of those houses is owned by the council, is beyond me!

Wales pretty much looks like anywhere else in the UK. Apart from Burton on Trent. That place looks like shit.

Wilbur

Banned
So the latter of the two? Do you live in London 'proper'? Do you have the misfortune of living in South or west London? Are you a pauper?

It could be many things.

I don't live in London proper but been there a million times obviously. Southwest London, Sutton. I'm not a pauper.

It's probably that I have no sense of direction and I get lost easily and it daunts me.

SmokyDave

Put me down as another that loves the delicate, lilting tones of a Welsh woman.

Both Wales and Scotland have some absolutely stunning scenery. Then again, Wales does have large swathes of council houses on hillsides and Scotland has it's 'lovely' tenament buildings. Bit of a mixed bag, really.

Kentpaul

How you can tell that any of those houses is owned by the council, is beyond me!

Wales pretty much looks like anywhere else in the UK. Apart from Burton on Trent. That place looks like shit.

the rest of the uk does not look like this

housing-estate-in-Rhonna--007.jpg

*Shiver*

all in good taste.

I don't live in London proper but been there a million times obviously. Southwest London, Sutton. I'm not a pauper.

It's probably that I have no sense of direction and I get lost easily and it daunts me.

South West London is very nice. Though it's not really the hustling bustling London which I love.

Norf Weezy is the one.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah Welsh women sound lovely. Chalk it up to an early crush on Cerys Matthews and dirty welsh Sian from school, but I like the innocent sounding welsh accent saying utter filth. Awww yeah :D

Also, Stacey from Gavin and... has got a lovely accent. And again, it's when she says the wrongest things that she's cutest (shouting out the window about how many wanks she's had that day reminds me of my missus in the best way).

EDIT: How did your gf take the news?

Where are you from?
Just over one hour to go, Hazzah! No plans for tonight, might get a takeaway. What would UK Gaf suggest? (not kebab)

Mid. South - I'm from 'the Valleys, namely the Cynon one. So I was blessed with the dumb-sounding accent, I could be explaining quantum physics and still sound like I don't understand basic maths... Still, it's part of who I am and friends overseas seem to think it's great! Glad to see so many votes for it here

As for your takeaway dilemma, I only recently ordered a Pappa John's pizza for the first time and it outdid Domino's by a mile! My first option is usually a good chinese take out though...

Ha, I know that part of the country pretty well. I learned it all from this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eijc2tGe-zM

My favourite Welshisms are the palindromic sentences you lot say. For example:

'you're going out are you?'

'it's a good film is it?'

'i do love that i do'

Unfortunately Youtube is blocked in work, but I'm going to take a guess that it's something by GLC? If not it should be.

Put me down as another that loves the delicate, lilting tones of a Welsh woman.

Dammit. I wonder if I can get my accent back :p

Chinner

Banned
I'm glad you found me losing 100 quid funny :)

should have cashed the fuck out. thank you for SALTING MY WOUNDS BY BRINGING IT UP AGAIN.

im sorry bro. its just your eagerness. it's a funny story for you to tell anyway. thats what makes life really worth living.

~never give up ~

Kentpaul

Big chain take away's suck.

Gotta love a local Indian or Chinese.

love a full house pizza from an Indian joint

im sorry bro. its just your eagerness. it's a funny story for you to tell anyway. thats what makes life really worth living.

~never give up ~

No kidding man i was buzzing like a bumble bee during it all.

Lirlond

Stirling Castle is a great tourist spot in Scotland. A large section recently got refaced so it should look amazing.

@McLovin: Pretty much

Suairyu

Banned
Oh man they're in thailand on Masterchef, making traditional street food. Really is a country that's been on my 'list' for ages now, and not just for the anatomically-perfect ladyboys. Everyone who goes raves about how the street-vended stuff is restaurant country, unlike any other country in the world where you avoid the street food like the plague.

My only issue is I hear the world over now associate Bangkok with sex-starved Brits. Pretty weird reputation for both our nations to gain.

Ahaha. Absolutely amazing sentences I thought I'd never read. What a bizarre story.

I dunno why but the Welsh accent... ehhhhhh. I think Gavin and Stacey ruined it for me. :lol

I'd give a blanket statement and say 'I DANNAE LIKE EET' but to be honest, I've met like one Welsh person ever. My cousins in Colwyn Bay barely have the accent (and we don't talk to them any more), so yeah.

edit: ^THAT looks beautiful. I do like London, although last time I was there I narrowly avoided a bad situation with a few hooded 'yoofs'

Oh my, I just google image searched "Cardiff Nightlife"

NOT a good result. First four images - lovely. After that, there's a steady decrease...

I dunno why but the Welsh accent... ehhhhhh. I think Gavin and Stacey ruined it for me. :lol

I'd give a blanket statement and say 'I DANNAE LIKE EET' but to be honest, I've met like one Welsh person ever. My cousins in Colwyn Bay barely have the accent (and we don't talk to them any more), so yeah.

Welsh women are dirty as fuck though, just like Smithy says. Watch bouncers on 4od, the doormen get offered sex in return for being let in to the clubs of Newport :lol

Three bits of Wales: the main cities, the valleys (grim as hell), and the wild parts full of sheep. Not all bad.

London outside the centre few miles is so depressing it's untrue.

Lol, clicked the Guardian link on the last page, misread the title of the story as 'David Cameron: I did ride Rebekah Brooks'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom