• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadows

Banned
Meh, only if you are 15 and into alt / goth / rock scene, otherwise it's way out of the way of any other decent shops.

what are you chattin' lad, it's not like it used to be, they did it up and its a decent laugh, with some cool independent shops not just more Topman and M&S like every other town/city in the UK.

xxczx

Selfridges, Harvey Nicks, The nicer end of the Arndale (opposite Selfridges essentially), the strip alongside M&S where some other nice places are (Ted Baker, Reiss). St Annes Sq across the way where French Connection and the like are.

You can' go wrong in that part, it's all the shops you could want within a square mile.
Ah, I was thinking more out of the way shops that you wouldn't notice (plus I'm not just buying clothes!) thanks anyway
Affleck's Palace!
lol
what are you chattin' lad, it's not like it used to be, they did it up and its a decent laugh, with some cool independent shops not just more Topman and M&S like every other town/city in the UK.
in this case... I'll have a look.

Empty

Daily Mail now the world's most visited newspaper website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16746785

It always surprises me how much it's posted here on GAF but then I guess their headlines do grab attention.

i imagine it has to do most with their celebrity stories. if you are linked to an article there there's endless links to 'jennifer aniston goes to shop' type puff on the side.

on that note they also regularly criticize the bbc for having a celebrity obsession

Where do you live: the cotswolds
Where are you from: blackburn
University: of life
Sports team of choice: liverpool fc
Current political party of choice: labour (least bad of the bunch)
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Roll.
Favourite (current) UK TV show: sherlock or masterchef
Oasis or Blur: the klf

Where abouts in Blackburn you from buddy?

Also Burger King is shit, you know this.

Taco Bell in manchester is my current fast food of choice, think I may go get on on Tuesday and go ee my sister who works in Harvey Nicholls.

Coppers is awesome by the way and I have a confession to make, I work from home and often watch
Jeremy Kyle

god damn i need taco bell in my life. it's terrible, but so cheap and amazing at the same time. damn you lucky lot with branches nearby!

Meadows

Banned
Manchester Taco Bell is the shit. I'm off to manc in a couple of days but I wanna try the BBQ place in the Arndale Food Court. Anyone know if it's any good?

Holy crap, we live in the same shithole of a town! What end are you from? I live near the stadium.

Wow, another denizen of Aldershot on GAF! You poor fucker :lol. I'm up the top end near the big church. I don't envy you mate living near the stadium. I can hear the noise from up here when there's a match on, so must be a nightmare for you.

Taco Bell is in the UK???????? Since when?

Do we have Wendys too?

since like last year. only in essex and manchester though. apparently there used to be one in London back in the 80's though, but it closed.

and i can swear i went to a wendy's in the uk when i was really young.

Meadows

Banned
my favourite thing about Taco Bell in the arndale is the super hi-def monitors with the menu on, they must have cost a fortuine

Bo-Locks

Where do you live: Manchester
Where are you from: Cheadle Hulme
University: Manchester University
Sports team of choice: Manchester United
Current political party of choice: Conservatives
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Roll
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Coppers
Oasis or Blur: Blur if I have to choose

After having been unfortunate enough to spend any period of time in Oldham, I'm pretty sure I know where you live, Cheezmo.

FreeMufasa

since like last year. only in essex and manchester though. apparently there used to be one in London back in the 80's though, but it closed.

and i can swear i went to a wendy's in the uk when i was really young.

Hmmm. Maybe that's a good thing for me. I get addicted to the place whenever I visit the states.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Where do you live: Glasgow
Where are you from: Glasgow
University: University of Glasgow (This is getting repetitive)
Sports team of choice: Celtic
Current political party of choice: SNP
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Roll!
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock
Oasis or Blur: Oasis

It's been so cold the past few days. I'm in tears whenever I think about what the gas and electricity bills will be. :(

Lirlond

Where do you live: Glasgow
Where are you from: Glasgow
University: University of Glasgow (This is getting repetitive)
Sports team of choice: Celtic
Current political party of choice: SNP
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Roll!
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock
Oasis or Blur: Oasis

It's been so cold the past few days. I'm in tears whenever I think about what the gas and electricity bills will be. :(

You moved out then?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Obviously this doesn't apply to south Londoners, no one wants to live there

ibaRdKQSOdG9VP.gif

Sage00

Once And Future Member
You moved out then?
Yup, the days of unlimited pounds are behind me. Know how you feel now. >_>

Speaking of that, how are UK-gaf who have moved to cities finding living expenses? I imagine all the ex-Londoners are loving it? :p

Bar burrito is awesome but I can get two volcanoe burritos at taco bell for the price of one bar burrito, damn burritos rule.

I promised a mate I will try panchos in Manchester as that's meant to be awesome as well.

I have now decided I am going to manc on Tuesday and having some form of burrito maybe two.

By the way Jaws 2 is on just started on itv + 1!

I like this thread it's comfy, little worried about cheezmo watching me though

Edit: oi sage why is your sausage square and what's so good about irn bru I don't get it and we know Vimto to be superior

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Edit: oi sage why is your sausage square and what's so good about irn bru I don't get it and we know Vimto to be superior
Square sausages fit more easily onto an amazing plain loaf of bread. :p

The carnival that's here every year used to be called the Vimto Carnival. Now it's called the Irn-Bru carnival. Make of that what you will.

Square sausages fit more easily onto an amazing plain loaf of bread. :p

The carnival that's here every year used to be called the Vimto Carnival. Now it's called the Irn-Bru carnival. Make of that what you will.

Square sausage is indeed glorious. Amazing on a roll (yes, a roll, not a barn, or a cob or whatever you southerner types call them) too, called a roll ON sausage for some unknown reason.

Combine that with Irn Bru after a hangover is godly.

Where do you live: Manchester
Where are you from: Cheadle Hulme
University: Manchester University
Sports team of choice: Manchester United
Current political party of choice: Conservatives
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Roll
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Coppers
Oasis or Blur: Blur if I have to choose

After having been unfortunate enough to spend any period of time in Oldham, I'm pretty sure I know where you live, Cheezmo.
What are you studying at Uni mate?

I live in Hulme too!

Anybody here like Rice in Manchester? Fusion food place. I love that place!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
OK. I'll play. Somewhat reluctantly.

Where do you live: Weston-super-Mare, Somerset
Where are you from: South Wales, broadly along the Newport-Pontypool-Abergavenny axis
Occupation: at present, being a recent grandfather - though I've had some rather serious brushes with IT, commercial administration and law over the years
University: Oxford, Open U, UWE at various times
Sports team of choice: Most things Welsh and Rugby, with particular preferences for Pontypool, Dunvant, Scarlets and Wales.
Current political party of choice: Hmmm, gotta be careful here as I'm the offspring of a line of Labour councillors on one side and Conservative councillors on the other - probably why I voted so much Plaid Cymru and Liberal in my youth. At the moment probably conservative, though the libdems are going up in my estimation
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Depends who I'm staying with and what comes with it. Love a good cob with soup. Find buns too floppy with soup but ace with salads.
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock or Doctor Who is pretty well all I (voluntarily) watch on TV
Oasis or Blur: OK, now you lost me. I know they are bands but I really don't recall having knowingly heard anything by either of them. Both way after my time (which basically ended when some burglar nicked my Amstrad stereo in the early 1980s and I never got round to replacing it). Beatles anyone? Noel Coward maybe? Django Reinhard?

Plus, my ankle is playing up, anyone want to volunteer to mow my lawn come springtime?

OK. I'll play. Somewhat reluctantly.

Where do you live: Weston-super-Mare, Somerset
Where are you from: South Wales, broadly along the Newport-Pontypool-Abergavenny axis
Occupation: at present, being a recent grandfather - though I've had some rather serious brushes with IT, commercial administration and law over the years
University: Oxford, Open U, UWE at various times
Sports team of choice: Most things Welsh and Rugby, with particular preferences for Pontypool, Dunvant, Scarlets and Wales.
Current political party of choice: Hmmm, gotta be careful here as I'm the offspring of a line of Labour councillors on one side and Conservative councillors on the other - probably why I voted so much Plaid Cymru and Liberal in my youth. At the moment probably conservative, though the libdems are going up in my estimation
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Depends who I'm staying with and what comes with it. Love a good cob with soup. Find buns too floppy with soup but ace with salads.
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock or Doctor Who is pretty well all I (voluntarily) watch on TV
Oasis or Blur: OK, now you lost me. I know they are bands but I really don't recall having knowingly heard anything by either of them. Both way after my time (which basically ended when some burglar nicked my Amstrad stereo in the early 1980s and I never got round to replacing it). Beatles anyone? Noel Coward maybe? Django Reinhard?

Plus, my ankle is playing up, anyone want to volunteer to mow my lawn come springtime?

Whoa wtf Phi, did we both study law at the same time at UWE or something?

Meadows

Banned

Kentpaul will be all up in that shit. He loves mowing lawns.

My GF is out tonight, I'm staying in and having a couple of glasses of wine, some noodles and watching Die Hard. Go me :)

Bo-Locks

What are you studying at Uni mate?

I live in Hulme too!

Anybody here like Rice in Manchester? Fusion food place. I love that place!

I'm in third year Chemistry. From reading the football thread for a few months I know that you're a third year politics student, right? It's creepy that I know that. I can't wait to graduate, I'm slowly burning myself out now.

I'm from Cheadle Hulme which is in Stockport btw, not Hulme in Manchester. I just generally class anything in Greater Manchester as being 'Manchester' which annoys people from the more salubrious areas like Sale, Altrincham and Cheadle Hulme to no end, who seem to believe that they're better than everyone else because they have a John Lewis/Waitrose and therefore class themselves as being from Cheshire. It also annoys the Yonners like Cheezmo ;)

I've never been to Rice, but I've never heard great things about it.

Anybody in Manchester has to go to the Curry Mile. I was there with my girlfriend the night India won the World Cup and the place was mental.

Check what I got in the post today btw!

I'm in third year Chemistry. From reading the football thread for a few months I know that you're a third year politics student, right? It's creepy that I know that. I can't wait to graduate, I'm slowly burning myself out now.

I'm from Cheadle Hulme which is in Stockport btw, not Hulme in Manchester. I just generally class anything in Greater Manchester as being 'Manchester' which annoys people from the more salubrious areas like Sale, Altrincham and Cheadle Hulme to no end, who seem to believe that they're better than everyone else because they have a John Lewis/Waitrose and therefore class themselves as being from Cheshire. It also annoys the Yonners like Cheezmo ;)

I've never been to Rice, but I've never heard great things about it.

Anybody in Manchester has to go to the Curry Mile. I was there with my girlfriend the night India won the World Cup and the place was mental.

Check what I got in the post today btw!

URL=http://min.us/mJfSGzY4O#1o][IMGhttp://i.minus.com/jExFpgVhzbZY2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Yeah I'm a third year Economics+Politics student. Can't wait to graduate also, bet I'll feel differently when I do though. Finished exams today, yay!

Ahhh, I see, I didn't know that about Hulme/Cheadle Hulme.

Rice is great. Manchester in general has plenty of great places to eat. There's an Italian place in town, "Croma", really like that too. I'm kind of sick of the Curry Mile now, since I'm at uni I go through it quite often and I hate it now. You see some proper badboy wannabes on there, renting cars driving up and down blasting out crappy music, eugh.

Nice tickets! We will win Laboured, fear not, 10-0.

Yeah I'm a third eye Economics+Politics student. Can't wait to graduate also, bet I'll feel differently when I do though. Finished exams today, yay!

Rice is great. Manchester in general has plenty of great places to eat. There's an Italian place in town, "Croma", really like that too. I'm kind of sick of the Curry Mile now, since I'm at uni I go through it quite often and I hate it now. You see some proper badboy wannabes on there, renting cars driving up and down blasting out crappy music, eugh.

I'm holding you to that Viva. Welbeck triple hat-trick or I want my imaginary money back.

Bo-Locks

Yeah I'm a third eye Economics+Politics student. Can't wait to graduate also, bet I'll feel differently when I do though. Finished exams today, yay!

Yeah, it's fine in small doses, I suppose. The sheer absurdity of the badboys in their chrome plated Audi's still amuses me though.

Old Orleans in the Filmworks is great too. You can then literally go next door to the Odeon to catch a film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom