• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: The Evil Within 2 sells 75% less than first game (physically) at launch

I had no idea this game even existed let alone was already out.

Exactly.

US sales will probably be quite a bit down, like Destiny and a ton of other games in the last two years. If we got numbers for other markets you'd see a similar pattern.

I can't even recall seeing any footage of Evil Within sequel and only knew it might be this year due to the thread. The original was the complete opposite.

Plum

People here talking about price drops and I'd say that's definitely a factor. Some prices for late-2016 and 2017 games on Amazon (PS4) right now:

- Prey: £18.99
- Dishonored 2: £9.49
- FFXV: £23.49
- Resi 7: £21.76 (but has been as low as £15)
- Agents of Mayhem: £24.09
- Watch Dogs 2: £21.85

It seems that the only games that are holding their value past a few months this year are Nintendo games (ofc) and the more niche Japanese titles (Persona, Ni-Oh, etc). If one can buy TEW2 for near half price just by waiting until after Christmas there's a high chance they will. I know I'm waiting for it to drop in price.

Now this isn't a massive factor, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely one of many and points to an issue with games holding their value over time.

Erevador

I'm really enjoying the game by the way, still fairly early, but I have to say the marketing has not conveyed what the game actually is very well.

There's a lot that's good about the game (and different from the first) that I have been completely surprised by! These are the kind of things that a company that is competent at marketing would have explained in promotion.

I'm enjoying all the surprises, but I can see how people would be confused about exactly what the game has to offer.

Kikorin

Sadly I'm not surprised, but I really hope at the end it will sell enough to make Bethesda happy, because is an awesome series (I've still not tried the second one, but the first game is one of my favourite horror games ever).

DKHF

Is there a single game that actually did better this year at retail in the UK?
I'm not a UK charts expert so probably forgetting some if there are others but Persona 5 definitely did (they said it was by far the biggest Persona game in the UK).

Edit: Also Splatoon 2 did better, and I'm guessing BotW did too.

People here talking about price drops and I'd say that's definitely a factor. Some prices for late-2016 and 2017 games on Amazon (PS4) right now:

It seems that the only games that are holding their value past a few months this year are Nintendo games (ofc) and the more niche Japanese titles (Persona, Ni-Oh, etc). If one can buy TEW2 for near half price just by waiting until after Christmas there's a high chance they will. I know I'm waiting for it to drop in price.

Now this isn't a massive factor, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely one of many and points to an issue with games holding their value over time.

This is exactly what I do now with the vast majority of games I want. Brought resi 7 at the end of summer for £15. Waiting for price drops for yakuza 0 and nier.

Not all surprising at all.

-Weak marketing campaign outside trailers.
-No DRM in the PC version, cracked even before it was out.
-No review copies that could infrom users in advance that it was significantly better than the original.
-First one wasn't universally loved.

Unless digital and other territories tell a completely different story this is probably it, which is sad because with RE gone full horror FPS and no Silent Hill or Dead Space the TPS horror genre is pretty much dead.

Moze

Banned

It's worth noting that Bethesda games especially drop in price ridiculously quick. I would not be surprised if The Evil Within 2 is £25 by the end if this month. That is how fast Bethesda games have been dropping in recent times. I think they over ship their games in the UK or something because it is insane how fast their games drop.

I got Prey for £11 on PS4 back in July. Just over two months after release.

The trend of under-performing sequels in the UK market continues...
I hope that this, combined with the low sales of Prey, doesn't mean we will see less experiences like this from Bethesda going forward.

EmryX

Neo Member

-No review copies that could infrom users in advance that it was significantly better than the original.

Unless digital and other territories tell a completely different story this is probably it, which is sad because with RE gone full horror FPS and no Silent Hill or Dead Space the TPS horror genre is pretty much dead.

jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough.gif

I work in retail, not gaming anymore but used to and even back then in the olde days when gaming retail was fighting the supermarkets, quite hard, they just undercut everyone. FIFA day one was £24.99 in some supermarkets.

I swear UK sale culture has spiralled out of control. I have customers look at the product I sell and ask, when is it on sale all the time, people no longer buy at full price and full price is seen as the rip off price.

Recently people have been asking about Black Friday sales as well so they already have that on their minds, last year some stores did Black Friday week sales, ridiculous like only UK retail can do. This is relevant to gaming software sales also, people a few years ago saw The Evil Within go on sale £49.99 in GAME and within about 4 weeks that game was £29.99, who’s going to pay full price for games when the same game is 50% off weeks later?

MikeBison

I went over to PC so bought digital this time.

Honestly feel like these physical charts are becoming way less relevant.

Had a billion articles talking about how digital sales are growing and that's how we'll be buying games, but when it happens we ignore it and just think games are failing.

Edit not suggesting that digital makes up for the 75% though. But anyway, hoping the game has a long tail as many games do. Opening weekend isn't the only time a game sale counts.

xrnzaaas

That was pretty much expected. Bethesda should've waited until February before releasing the game and also it's hard to avoid a big drop if you don't market your game at all. I'll be picking it up at the end of the year at the earliest because of the first reason, too many other games to play right now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I currently in chapter 6 at Nigtmare difficulty and I personally loving this game so far. It a shame the game is not doing so well sells wise. I really don't want to see third person survival horror games disappears.

No way digital made up for that huge drop. Honestly I didn’t know the game was coming out till we had a thread here saying it was coming out in a month. The marketing has been almost nonexistent. Plus, it’s a packed month. Wolfenstien and Mario are no joke.

MrS

Banned
Bethesda/Zenimax sent the game out to die. There has been so little advertising for TEW2, especially when compared to Wolfenstein 2, that I'm not surprised by its performance in the UK. I'm extremely disappointed though because the game is superb and deserves to be enjoyed by a larger audience.

Really - you think digital sales made up the 75% shortfall?!

It sarcim about people using "but digital sales" at Destiny 2 and Forza 7 having massive cuts.

In this case I think its mostly down to Bethesda not marketing it at all. They really do suck at marketing anything not a big Bethesda Studios RPG.

Wolf 2 might be the firs time they are doing ok with it because Doom. Prey and Dishonored 2 all suffered because of their marketing.

I've seen no real marketing and the first game wasn't very good. I hear they improved things which is awesome but if I'm not actually being shown those changes it's hard to build hype. The marketing money clearly went to wolfenstein as I have a very good idea what that games going to be.

I'm sad for both Tango & Shinji Mikami (and the new director) and the publisher here since these sort of games are so rare nowadays. An actual third person horror game released with a good budget behind it is pretty much like as rare as gold dust nowadays. Still have to buy it, just in between jobs at the moment and opted for Danganronpa V3 and Cuphead instead but will be getting this next.

Still think the lack of marketing (& over reliance on word of mouth) is not a smart play, nor is the fact that Bethesda sent it out in the very same month they are releasing Wolfenstein 2, which is getting good marketing and more of a push from the marketing team. The likes of Prey and Dishonored 2 never got the same marketing either, their marketing team needs to pull it up for all of their games and not be so selective.

KORNdoggy

It is said that the first game sold 5 million copies. If the number is accurate it's not really surprising they made a sequel.

what? that's more than the tomb raider reboot initially sold, and that's an established franchise. surely it didn't sell that many? if it did then i guess that explains the sequel lol

Reedirect

Very little advertising for this, so no wonder it tanked in the UK. It's especially baffling considering the sequel is much more accessible to the mainstream audience than the original.

Bethesda are awful at marketing their games that aren't Elder Scrolls or Fallout.

They basically lucked out with their Wolfenstein marketing almost doing it for itself.

Kill3r7

To be fair this has been the case for most of this gen.

UK people are tired of generic AAA games it seems

BS. The top 10 games this year will be precisely that.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sad. I will buy this today on Steam just to show support. I'm several thousand KM away from my gaming PC. :(

philm87

Very little advertising for this, so no wonder it tanked in the UK. It's especially baffling considering the sequel is much more accessible to the mainstream audience than the original.

I saw TV adverts and has even been shown in advertised in Odeon Cinemas for months. I reckon there's more competition from other games at the moment compared to when the original was released.

AHA-Lambda

Very sad indeed but not surprising, Bethesda wasn't putting the marketing muscle behind it so even they saw it wasn't testing well with pre orders etc

Whats going on with UK retail? Only thing that survives is FIFA?

UK people are tired of generic AAA games it seems

This comes up every thread for UK sales, and I must protest it.

The UK market is a great litmus test for AAA trends actually, when was the last time a game disappointed commercially in the UK but didn't in the US?

nampad

Surprised Bethesda greenlit the sequel. The first one didn't do very well and big budget horror games don't seem to be very successful anymore.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Joey Ravn

Banned

Digital piracy of the PC version of a game affects the physical sales of the console versions of a game how exactly...?

Because let's be real: physical on PC is a non-factor these days. This thread is about console sales. And I'm really squeezing my brain to see how the lack of Denuvo affects those numbers.

JDarg

Neo Member
Games go on sale too quickly here, in a month it'll be half the price.

Most people I know here in the UK now either wait for a sale or just rent games now.

Top Bottom