• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: The Evil Within 2 sells 75% less than first game (physically) at launch

Surfside

Banned
So, does this make a bomba Black Friday price pretty likely, then?

How did Wolfenstein: The New Order do, out of curiosity?

Oh forgot about Wolfenstein. Yeah i think that did pretty well for them. The only thing i could find about its release, on the fast anyway, states that it debuted on second place behind Titanfall 1. And accounted for 36 percent of all revenue, in its release week.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/wolfenstein-the-new-order-is-the-uk-s-second-biggest-release-of-2014-behind-titanfall/1100-6419896/

RE7 has a carefully designed map, in which every enemy-, item- and puzzle placement feels thoroughly planned out. TEW2's map feels like I'm playing any Ubisoft open world game. It's just some space with arbitrary loot and enemies in it, while I'm running from minimap icon to minimap icon. I mean, I definitely wanted exploration compared to TEW1, which was underwhelming for different reasons. But they chose the most shallow way of achieving that.

So what game did you play? Because many, not just one or two, locations have unique, significant story and gameplay events to discover. While playing I was thinking to opposite, "thank god this isn't just a Ubisoft like collectathon."

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
RE7 has a carefully designed map, in which every enemy-, item- and puzzle placement feels thoroughly planned out. TEW2's map feels like I'm playing any Ubisoft open world game. It's just some space with arbitrary loot and enemies in it, while I'm running from minimap icon to minimap icon. I mean, I definitely wanted exploration compared to TEW1, which was underwhelming for different reasons.But they chose the most shallow way of achieving that.
You could say that about RE7's attempt to return horror.
If anything TEW2 open world feels like Silent Hill but more so SH downpour but actually good where exploration is rewarded with a whole side story, with a mix of TLOU.
I'm not sure what you've played but I'm several hours in and haven't even done the first objective.

I got it, still sealed, but then I haven't played the first yet.... the benefit of having teenage kids, they at least get value out of the games i buy which I dont yet have time to play :)

Most people haven't had a pay rise in seven years, a lot of jobs for the younger age bracket that buy games, are minimum wage and inflation rises every year, so that needs most people have had a pay cut. Rent is super expensive pretty much everywhere and food prices continue to rise.

We would love to buy more games, we just don't have the money.

I'd agree that's had an impact. Anecdotally i've heard more people saying they're waiting for payday to decide what to buy than i have done for a long while. Many people are holding out until the end of the month before purchasing games. It might also be that there's been so many good games out that people are still playing them and are in no rush to buy new games yet. I know i've got a list of games i'm aiming to get before the end of the year and most were released in the spring.

I suspect more games will get long tails as people hold off buying at launch. Of course, i don't play many AAA MP games so launch day is not such a big draw for me.

People still watch tv?
They mainly DVR it and then FFwd through the adverts. Well, my housemates do anyway.

Whats going on with UK retail? Only thing that survives is FIFA?

I'm not sure the cheapest places to buy from get tracked. High street prices are quite bad, better than the joke that is digital, but I wonder if places like Base, simply games, shopto, the game collection etc which are always cheaper even get counted.

KORNdoggy

Sad but expected.

And what's up with the UK? seems like they are losing interest in gaming :(

we're just price conscious these days. a lot of us out of necessity more than choice. i mean, i can't speak for everyone, but this gen i came to the honestly quite obvious conclusion that buying games immediately doesn't really make any sense.

there are more great games releasing then there is time to play them, so all buying day 1 does is create a stack of un-played games. games that if you held off on could have been purchased at half the price you bought them for, if not less. i think a lot of people are doing this now.

DKHF

Yeah, the latter. They really wanted the game to launch on friday the 13th for obvious reasons and as such the data of the first week isn't comparable. It can end up selling less but -75% based on 2 days of sale vs 4 days is just a sensationalist headline. Reviews in general are positive as they come out so i wouldn't be surprised if it ends up decent saleswise.
It is comparable. Call of Duty releases on Friday every year and thus gets the same amount of tracking as this game did and sells way more in its first "week" (2 days tracking) than its second week (the following 7 days of sale) despite "only" tracking the first two days for the debut sales. Games sell the most copies on their launch day so the comparison works between this game's debut sales and the first game's, and it's not a sensationalist headline. I guarantee next week it will fall way too far for those missed two days in the comparison to make up for it. It would have probably only been 5% less of a drop with two more days tracking.

Ducktail

It's not only the lack of marketing, though. There weren't that many quality games coming out back when the first game was released.

I remember actually counting the number of games I wanted to buy when I first bought my PS4, and pretty much all upcoming games got my attention, even if I didn't buy them.

2017 has been one of the best years in gaming, and there's an absurd amount of games coming. Quality and quantity wise.

GenericUser

Well deserved if you ask me. I watched like 3 to 4 hours of the mid/late game and it looked like a (bad) carbon copy of tlou. The (quite) weak story turned out to be the best part of this game.

Mediocre game gets mediocre sales, I'm ok with that.

SomTervo

Does anyone that didn't play it know that it's an open world game or it's just me?

Pretty much every press preview talked about it. Don't think any advertising or promo materials went into it, though.

It's not fully open world, FYI. I'm a few hours in and it seems to be two medium-large open worlds with lots of buildings and sidequests, but then lots of linear segments scattered throughout/between them.

Yeah, the latter. They really wanted the game to launch on friday the 13th for obvious reasons and as such the data of the first week isn't comparable. It can end up selling less but -75% based on 2 days of sale vs 4 days is just a sensationalist headline. Reviews in general are positive as they come out so i wouldn't be surprised if it ends up decent saleswise.

Agreed.

SomTervo

Well deserved if you ask me. I watched like 3 to 4 hours of the mid/late game and it looked like a (bad) carbon copy of tlou. The (quite) weak story turned out to be the best part of this game.

It has very good reviews (80 console average and 8.3 PC average) and even better user response (around 90% average).

Watching several hours of a stream, without context from halfway through a game, is not the same as sitting down with a gamepad in a dark room and playing it from the beginning.

Try harder. There are other factors at play here.

IMO it's the best survival horror game this gen and the sequel to Resident Evil 4 we never got.

Marcel

The lack of marketing would have killed this game at retail anyway but I probably would have bought it at release if not for the changes. TEW1 was a rough game to be sure but I don't feel that going in a completely different direction gameplay or otherwise was the right call.

xviper

the genre is dying because this generation wants boring walking simulators with generic story like Uncharted 4

RE7 and The evil within 1+2 are the only games of this genre on the ps4\x1, both games sold poorly and both of them were fucking amazing, especially RE7, that was an underrated MASTERPIECE

i have not yet played TEW 2 but i loved TEW 1

Blam

We need to get digital sales counted somehow it's gonna be worse and worse for these physical games sales to the point where I see that the next generation doesn't even have a disk drive.

the genre is dying because this generation wants boring walking simulators with generic story like Uncharted 4

RE7 and The evil within 1+2 are the only games of this genre on the ps4x1, both games sold poorly and both of them were fucking amazing

pdZFiYm.gif

SomTervo

RE7 has a carefully designed map, in which every enemy-, item- and puzzle placement feels thoroughly planned out. TEW2's map feels like I'm playing any Ubisoft open world game. It's just some slightly bigger space with arbitrary loot and enemies in it, while I'm running from minimap icon to minimap icon. I mean, I definitely wanted exploration compared to TEW1, which was underwhelming for different reasons. But they chose the most shallow way of achieving that.

Are you kidding?

• TEW2's map is sublime and meticulously orchestrated. Every enemy, item and puzzle is perfectly placed and entirely hand crafted. It feels almost Batman: Arkham levels of orchestration
  • there is no minimap. What are you talking about? You have to use your sense of direction and check maps/distance numbers to get from A to B. You can place on-screen waypoints if you want but they don't prepare you for the journey
  • the only collectibles unlock gameplay resources (no collectibles for collectibles sake - i.e. Ubisoft) and there's only... one type of collectible? Not the 3-6 you usually get in a Ubi game
  • Ubi open worlds are sandboxes. Multiple factions, physics, chaos, action. TEW2 is not a sandbox game. It's a tightly designed open world game. There are scripted events in the open world and occasional randomly/repeatedly placed enemies

This is all besides the point that Ubisoft have completely overhauled their open world design in the last year or so and you clearly barely know what you're talking about. Now they actually make brilliant sandbox games, up there with GTA IMO. Syndicate, Watch Dogs 2 and GR Wildlands are brilliant open world sandbox games, and all hands-on feedback from AC Origins says it's nailing this, too.

Incredible

KyleCross

You watched a stream for 3-4 hours of a game and think you have the right to judge said game?

lol

GenericUser

It has very good reviews (80 console average and 8.3 PC average) and even better user response (around 90% average).

Watching several hours of a stream, without context from halfway through a game, is not the same as sitting down with a gamepad in a dark room and playing it from the beginning.

Try harder. There are other factors at play here.

IMO it's the best survival horror game this gen and the sequel to Resident Evil 4 we never got.

I'm not trying anything. Don't act so passive aggressive. As a thread a while ago already said, it's hard to sell a 60 dollar sp only game these days.

I think tew2 is okay, but nothing that will bring a huge number of people to spend so much money on it. Especially when it's more or less a given that you can pick it up for half the price four weeks from now.

Lernaean

Banned

Well if you watched it, you should know better than those who played it.

RE7 and The evil within 1+2 are the only games of this genre on the ps4\x1, both games sold poorly and both of them were fucking amazing, especially RE7, that was an underrated MASTERPIECE

i have not yet played TEW 2 but i loved TEW 1

Japanese horror games are not what they used to be. Hope Fatal Frame comes back and Konami decide to outsource Silent Hill to a talented developer for a change.

I honestly didn't realise this was out. I remember being bombarded with adverts for the first game, has the marketing budget been slashed for the sequel?

holygeesus

Banned
I bought this and am enjoying it but I do tend to buy less games now in general. Partly because I’m getting old and starting to find my spare time drifting elsewhere and partly because the gaming industry has become so cynical now what with loot boxes, £30 DLC ripped from already developed content etc etc that I just can’t be arsed with it much any more.

Greed is going to end up costing these companies in the long run if sales keep diminishing.

jett

D-Member
Too bad, but I think the interest was just never there. Didn't have much buzz.

It's a good game, but no as unique/interesting as the first one.

Zojirushi

RE7 and The evil within 1+2 are the only games of this genre on the ps4x1, both games sold poorly and both of them were fucking amazing, especially RE7, that was an underrated MASTERPIECE

Oh come on. They're still horror games and understandably not for everyone. The fact that Uncharted has more mass appeal doesn't indicate that there's something inherently wrong with this industry.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So it looks like the game is outright not selling well. Some people were suggesting that the PC version was underperforming due to the removal of Denuvo...

I'm enjoying it a lot more than the first, to be honest. But Bethesda didn't really promote this game, and set it to release at the same time as South Park and a week before Wolfenstein II, Mario Odyssey and AC Origins. October is a massively crowded month. No wonder it's underperforming.

I didn't buy it because it runs really poorly, if it was a good port I would be playing it now.

SomTervo

I'm not trying anything.

Watching 3-4 hours of pretty much any adventure game from halfway through is not a good way to gauge a game's quality. You don't feel the pacing or flow, you don't see the progression, you have no sense of context or story, etc. By doing that you're already setting it up to not look very appealing.

Hence it seemed like you were bringing a heavy bias to the table straight-up. Hence it seemed like you were trying to see it a certain way to begin with.

I think tew2 is okay, but nothing that will bring a huge number of people to spend so much money on it. Especially when it's more or less a given that you can pick it up for half the price four weeks from now.

The market is pretty brutal but we've had many examples of SP games doing very well in recent years.

But the most important factor which you're completely ignoring is that arguably marketing is more important than product features (or even quality) and we know for a fact that Bethesda are really not pushing this. They did the same with Prey.

And they don't allow review codes before release (which is suicidal for IPs without crazy brand power).

I didn't buy it because it runs really poorly, if it was a good port I would be playing it now.

Performance for me has been excellent but yeah I've got a great rig so YMMV

xviper

Japanese horror games are not what they used to be. Hope Fatal Frame comes back and Konami decide to outsource Silent Hill to a talented developer for a change.

in PS3\x360 era ?? yes

but RE7 happened in PS4\xone era, and RE7 is one of the best games of the generation in my opinion, Japanese horror games are still good and few, but today's gamers don't want that, they are not used to it

Scoops312

Banned
You could say that about RE7's attempt to return horror.
If anything TEW2 open world feels like Silent Hill but more so SH downpour but actually good where exploration is rewarded with a whole side story, with a mix of TLOU.
I'm not sure what you've played but I'm several hours in and haven't even done the first objective.

I don't see how that's the case at all. RE7 is atmospheric where as TEW2 doesn't even attempt at creating an atmosphere for large portions of the game. There's also nothing wrong with TEW2's open world in general, the problem is that's all there really is to the game where as that's not the case with Silent Hill Downpour. SHD had a map to explore but the meat of the game was still the "levels" that featured puzzles, items, and were a lot more complex than anything in TEW2. Also, SHD had multiple side missions that again had puzzles and were some of the games best parts because of how inventive they were, TEW2 has one or two side missions and they aren't very good.

RRockman

Banned

Tango just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Good Game design (I'm an expert), but originality and great graphics are huge parts of it. It's not like you can become successful by simply copying. If your game plays or looks even slightly similar to a another popular game then you bring shame your studio, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. Its super easy to tell in a stream, just how unoriginal this game is.

What this means is that the public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase TEW2 for either system, nor will they purchase anymore of Tango's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Tango has alienated an entire market with this move.

Tango, publicly apologize and close up shop.

xviper

Oh come on. They're still horror games and understandably not for everyone. The fact that Uncharted has more mass appeal doesn't indicate that there's something inherently wrong with this industry.

Horror games are not equal to survival horror

you see, "Horror" games like Outlast, they are simply walking simulators with annoying loud sounds that some people think they are Scary, which they aren't, they are just annoying

where survival horror games like RE7 and TEW have Gameplay

Not a total shocker, especially for the PC version. It's optimized to shit (much like the first game) which is a shame. I'm hoping they put out a patch this week.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Performance for me has been excellent but yeah I've got a great rig so YMMV

Judging by benchmarks I've seen and the GAF thread it runs like ass for most people, maybe you can brute force it with a 1080ti but for us common folk on normal hardware (970 in my case) it's impossible to get a stutter free, locked 60fps experience.

scitek

I saw it at like 35k on Steam the other day, and Shadow of War had literally close to 10 times that in 4 more days. Sad.

Marcel

The old man yelling at clouds atmosphere in here is pretty laughable. You should be yelling at Bethesda sending this game out to die vs. Uncharted 4/walking simulator bogeyman shit.

rtcn63

Are you kidding?

TEW2 does not seem to be as bad as Ubi (nowhere near as bad, from what I've seen of the beginning chapters) when it comes to open-world bloat, but the sheer amount of pickups is still very concerning. (Crafting materials, ammo, etc.) There's just something wrong about having to pick up bread crumbs every few steps. You put up with it on your first playthrough (and usually the game is balanced around grabbing those items), but dread it on your second. It's endemic to the genre as whole, even the games that just dip their feet in for the first time.

Jawmuncher

I saw it at like 35k on Steam the other day, and Shadow of War had literally close to 10 times that in 4 more days. Sad.

If there's one thing WB knows how to do, it's market their games.
Outside of like Lollipop Chainsaw ages back (Which even then ended up doing a million). WB is all about propping up their tent pole games.
Guess that's kind of to their benefit when they don't have as much to push throughout the year.

Top Bottom